Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline springboard  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2008 13:58:57(UTC)
springboard

American Samoa   
dose anybody know the correct way how to hook up # 74920 railroad grade crossing unit, to the Cs2 or transformer to make it work? anybody have any pictures to send showing this 2nd question how about the uncoupler track section, that uncouples the trains how dose this get hooked up?.
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2008 14:22:03(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by springboard
<br />dose anybody know the correct way how to hook up # 74920 railroad grade crossing unit, to the Cs2 or transformer to make it work? anybody have any pictures to send showing this 2nd question how about the uncoupler track section, that uncouples the trains how dose this get hooked up?.

1) You hook up the railroad crossing to a separate trafo, NOT the one powering the CS(!). Yellow cable to the trafo's yellow output, brown to the track ground. When a loco or waggon enters the contact area, the crosssing is activated. If you wish to extend the contact tracks, you can use ordinary C-track and just cut off the connection between the outer rails (one in each end).
2) The uncoupler track is connected to a k83 decoder if you want to control it digitally. You just use one of the outputs for this address, so you can use the other for another uncoupler track if needed.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline biswasg  
#3 Posted : 13 January 2009 20:25:25(UTC)
biswasg

Switzerland   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:
1) You hook up the railroad crossing to a separate trafo, NOT the one powering the CS(!). Yellow cable to the trafo's yellow output, brown to the track ground. When a loco or waggon enters the contact area, the crosssing is activated. If you wish to extend the contact tracks, you can use ordinary C-track and just cut off the connection between the outer rails (one in each end).

I too am struggling to get my 74920 work. I have hooked up the yellow cable of the railroad Xing to a separate second trafo but this trafo also powers the signal and the tuner switch lamps. The brown of this trafo is connected to the return wire of these lamps and signals. I have not connected the brown wire of the the second trafo to the track.

The mobile station is connected to its own trafo.
Where am I going wrong? BTW, I have presently connected only one side of the X-ing as it is for trial purpose.
Gautam
Offline Renato  
#4 Posted : 13 January 2009 20:48:49(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Gautam,

You must connect the brown wire coming from the transformer to which the railroad crossing is connected, to the track otherwise the crossing does not operate (the circuit can not be closed = no voltage to the electromagnetic coils for lowering the barriers).

I hope this can help you.

Bye

Renato
Offline biswasg  
#5 Posted : 13 January 2009 21:03:44(UTC)
biswasg

Switzerland   
Thanks Renato, Your advice worked but still not fully. When the train passes the xing the red lights of the x-ing light up but the barrier does not come down. I am missing something still.
Gautam
Offline Renato  
#6 Posted : 14 January 2009 20:09:52(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by biswasg
<br />Thanks Renato, Your advice worked but still not fully. When the train passes the xing the red lights of the x-ing light up but the barrier does not come down. I am missing something still.

I do not have this model of railroad crossing, so I do not have the instruction leaflet. I have the 7192 instead, but I believe the connections are similar. Principally you have to connect both parts with the barriers to the special track corresponding to the street. This track should have a marker on it: connect to that track, one per side, the other 2 tracks with the corresponding mark on the same side. Connect the "O" terminal of one normal track connected to the railroad crossing tracks, to the "O" brown connection on the transformer. One yellow cable connects the 2 parts with barrier (from barrier 1 to the clip on the barrier 2) and the other yellow cable has to be connected from the barrier 2 to the "L" yellow connection on the same transformer.

If this does not work, I think that:

1) the railroad crossing you have works in a different way (difficult to think, because the functioning principle is very easy to understand);
2) something is not working or there are some fault wirings.

If you post some pictures of the underside of the 2 parts with barriers, maybe I can help more.

Modified: I noticed it uses C-tracks, so probably no marker exists on the central (road) element; but the other 2 tracks must have the marker corresponding to the same rail.

Bye

Renato
Offline biswasg  
#7 Posted : 14 January 2009 22:29:33(UTC)
biswasg

Switzerland   
Thanks again Renato, I connected both sides of the crossing and now the the barrier as well as the light function on this side but only the lights on the first side. I think the solenoid of the first side is not working. Is it possible to get a replacement of this part?
Gautam
Offline Renato  
#8 Posted : 15 January 2009 18:09:00(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Well,

Before thinking of buying a spare part, you can check by yourself and have a look at the bottom side of the non working barrier.
Have a look at the soldered connections of the barrier actuating coil (compare to the ones of the working barrier). Are all the wires soldered?
Maybe there is a mechanical problem: try to manually lower the barrier when the other is electrically lowered. In addition disconnect the non working barrier and check with a tester (electric multimeter) the continuity between the yellow wire coming out of it and the connection to the rail with the road (the central track).

If I lived near your home, I could have a look and maybe fix the problem, but unfortunately I live far from you (I was several years ago twice in Zurich and I visited Luzern and Winterthur. Very beautiful places and museums!)

Let me know the results of your investigations.

Renato
Offline nevw  
#9 Posted : 16 January 2009 00:17:12(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
If the crossing has the 2nd rail line extension (or without)There is a distinct possibility that the clips the connect the bits together are part of the circuit. Make sure that that war making good connection or even solder some wire to both pieces. I had this problem. One side worked the other did not.

ALso if hte barrier does not come down usually indicates not enough electrical power.

N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline svgeorgiad  
#10 Posted : 22 June 2009 15:35:27(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
What if I connect the 74920 to the same transformer (VIESSMANN) that supplies current to lights and turntable?
In my case the 74920 lies in the segment of the layout that is powered from a booster (not from the transformer of the 6021 CU). When I tried to install feeding wires before and after the rail crossing I ended up having a short circuit. When I isolate the rail crossing (meaning when I unplug the yellow and brown wires from the transformer) the short circuit keeps on. However when I isolate the 2st segment (one powered from the booster) from the 1st segment (one powered from the transformer of the 6021 CU) the short circuit stops. Thus it is inferred that the short circuit is located in the 2nd segment (the one powered through the booster)
Does it matter if I am using a Viessmann transformer instead of a Maerklin?
What am I doing wrong?
Symeon Georgiadis
Offline dalym001  
#11 Posted : 24 June 2009 19:57:33(UTC)
dalym001

Symeon,

You actually must connect the 74920 to a separate transformer on a digital layout, not the trafo supplying your 6021 or CS, but it can be the same one that supplies current to lights and turntable (mine is connected that way too) and Viessmann is just the same as M* so no problem there.

It doesn't matter if the crossing is in a segment of the layout powered from a booster or from the 6021 as the track current has nothing to do with the crossing at all. If there are track feeder wires in the contact track section of the crossing (the stretch between the little blue arrows) they must be connected to the same supply as the layout segment where the crossing is located. In other words if the track either side of the crossing is supplied by the booster and you put feeder wires in the crossing section, then they must also be connected to the booster.

Your booster and 6021 must NEVER have their red wires connected together in any way. From your explanation I think this is what you have done wrong - segments supplied by 6021 must be isolated from segments supplied by booster. Note that you can connect the grounds (brown wires) together without a problem.

It sounds to me like the rest of your setup is similar to mine - 3 trafos, 1 supplying booster, 1 supplying CS (or 6021), and 1 supplying lights and accessories - my crossing is supplied by the 3rd trafo and the whole crossing (from blue arrow to blue arrow) sits within one layout segment (no insulators and no feeder wires anywhere in-between) and that segment is supplied track current from the booster. My whole layout does share a common ground though - I only isolate the centre rails so the 6021 (or CS) and booster grounds are connected via the outer rails of the tracks and my accessories share ground with that too via things like my crossing.

Hope this helps...

Martin
Offline nevw  
#12 Posted : 25 June 2009 02:18:21(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
On my layout the crossing is getting its power from the track. works perfectly.
Using a CS1
NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around