Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ozzman  
#1 Posted : 20 August 2008 07:03:28(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Maybe this topic has been posted before, but if so I can't find it. So, where have you located your layout? What problems did you have to deal with and what compromises did you have to make?

Mine will be on a shelf along one wall of my spare bedroom. My youngest daughter moved out into the big wide world last year and it was actually a few months before I suddenly realised that I had a Train Room biggrin However I can't use the whole room because a friend stays a few times each year.

The concept of a shelf appeals because it's simple and is within my limited carpentry abilities. It's a brick wall, so there are no problems relating to load bearing, but the biggest problem will be access to the shadow station at the back (next to the wall and behind the scenery). I'll probably leave it with an open top and a carefully positioned mirror so that I can see what's in there.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline TimR  
#2 Posted : 20 August 2008 07:18:19(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Good question!

Ultimately I have plans on paper to set up a large layout that take up most of our double garage. But I can't do this at the moment due to many practical considerations - for example, a lot of wind seems to pass via the gaps within the garage door. It is also where we keep our dog indoor.

For the time being, I'm going to set up (a temporary flat table) layout in our study room. Missus was not very happy when I told her about this, but it is the lesser of two evils biggrin.
Otherwise, I told her that the alternative would be at the unused space in our living room.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline rschaffr  
#3 Posted : 20 August 2008 07:26:44(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Mine is in our basement. I have quite a bit of room for a layout and the climate stays fairly constant throughout the year. My only concern is humidity and I have installed a dehumidifier to take care of that.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Online RayF  
#4 Posted : 20 August 2008 10:51:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I use a corner of my son's bedroom. He's away at university a lot of the time, which gives me unlimited access when he's away. When he's here on holiday (like now), I run/work on my layout at his discretion, or when he's gone out.

I'm limited to an "L" shaped area of about 2m X 1m in each direction, which is not a lot. You can see my plan here:

https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=5716

Eventually, when my son gets a job and moves out permanently, I will be able to expand a little, but we will always have a bed and other furniture for when he comes to stay, so I don't count on the whole room.

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Macfire  
#5 Posted : 20 August 2008 13:17:58(UTC)
Macfire

In the garage.
And bloody cold during the winters out west despite having re-built the garage and insulated it.
The cold affects my C Track to a huge extent, it can often take about 5 minutes to get a loco operating properly. K Track is affected but to a minor extent.
It the layout had to stay in the garage I would go back to M Track but as it is moving I have chosen K.
So plans are for a move into the lounge where I can get a 2800x1000 space with a modular extension the I intend will slide under and away when the space is required.
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline sjlauritsen  
#6 Posted : 20 August 2008 13:20:11(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
I don't have a permanent layout. My layout is on the dining table or the living room floor.

If I were to build a permanent layout I would build it in moveable modules.

Best regards
Søren
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline Marty  
#7 Posted : 20 August 2008 20:08:55(UTC)
Marty

United States   
I built a temporary shelf layout around the periphery of a 16 x 16 foot room in my apartment. The "benchwork" was no more complex than putting up 2 bookshelves (and within the rules of the apartment!) I built it as a means to experiment with. Here's what I discovered:

1) Access to the room is important. I built the shelf at a height of 60 inches off the floor, and thought that just ducking under the layout (instead of making a hinged, swing-away section) would be OK. Although I'm fairly limber, having to crouch down everytime I wanted to go into the room got old really fast. A "U" shaped layout would have be better from that standpoint.

2) Allow as much height as possible for backdrops. I like to paint my own backdrops, and I found that a large backdrop can make a shelf layout look alot larger than it really is. My backdrops were 2 feet high (a standard width for fiberboard panels here in the USA), and that worked out pretty well.

3) Think about how the layout will be lit. I had a large window at one end of the room that during certain times of the day let in light that would overwhelm the layout. There where times when I would have to close the shades during the day to enjoy the layout. Some layouts are constructed like a museum display with an overhead valance and lighting. I didn't go to that extent, but this certainly gives you absolute control over the lighting.

4) My layout was located in a room for other uses, and by having the layout up high enabled me to use the space below for other non-train things (i.e. television, stereo, file cabinet, etc). Since the layout was only 12 inches deep, being able to reach everything was no problem, despite how high it was off the floor.

I have since taken the layout down, but I learned alot from it.
Model railroader magazine is a good source of information on the construction and presentation of a layout, with the many private layouts featured each month.

Marty
Offline Pianne  
#8 Posted : 20 August 2008 20:23:35(UTC)
Pianne

Gary,

Instead of behind the layout, why don't you build your shadowstation underneeth it? This will ofcourse need some more sofisticated carpentry (spirals) but it's not that hard once you get the basics.

In this way, you can either use more with for the visible part or make it even sleeker (in the middle at least, you need at least the radius of the spiral at the end(s). You are building in Z-scale, right?

Kind regards,
Pieter-Jan
Bruges, Belgium.
Offline gachar001  
#9 Posted : 21 August 2008 00:39:29(UTC)
gachar001

India   
My layout is in a spare 12 X 12 bedroom. Right now it is on foam boards on the floor. I plan on finishing by basement later and having a proper layout there. I will have a lot more space to play with :)
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 21 August 2008 01:01:17(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
My layout is 2.4m x 1.2m, C track.
It is in one half of a double garage, and it has a lifting arrangment (pulleys) if I need the space to park a second car.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline leesauer  
#11 Posted : 21 August 2008 01:13:23(UTC)
leesauer

United States   
My current layout (still under construction, but aren't they always and forever), is 4 x 8 ft and is currently in our formal living room. It's more than a bit incongruous, standing there amidst antique china and crystal cabinets and other fragile antique furniture, but it is a room we really never use, and it was the only one with enough space in it to hold even such a small layout.

I have active plans for a much more elaborate layout, one that will be approximately 10 x 17 ft and will be getting started on that as soon as I am able to convince other family members that the current family room/dining room should be converted to a layout room and current activites there should move to that formal living room. Frankly, it's a hard sell.

Best regards,

Lee Sauer
Sacramento, CA
Lee Sauer
Sacramento, CA
Offline kimballthurlow  
#12 Posted : 21 August 2008 02:08:15(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Best of luck Lee, biggrin
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline ozzman  
#13 Posted : 21 August 2008 06:32:51(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by kimballthurlow
<br />Best of luck Lee, biggrin
regards
Kimball

Yes, best of luck from me too biggrin
Gary
Z Scale
Offline ozzman  
#14 Posted : 21 August 2008 06:59:51(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Pianne
<br />Gary,

Instead of behind the layout, why don't you build your shadowstation underneeth it? This will ofcourse need some more sofisticated carpentry (spirals) but it's not that hard once you get the basics.

In this way, you can either use more with for the visible part or make it even sleeker (in the middle at least, you need at least the radius of the spiral at the end(s). You are building in Z-scale, right?

Thanks for the suggestions Pieter-Jan. I have formulated a Law, as yet untitled, that goes something like "the smaller the scale, the more model trains are subject to Murphy's Law" (ie derailments, stalling etc). Therefore I'm going to try to avoid having my little VTs and BRs out of easy reach as much as possible. The other thing is that unless helixes with many turns are used it will be difficult to get enough hand access room in an under-the-layout shadow station. This is not in itself a "show stopper", but it would impose the sort of extra complexity that I'd like to avoid.

By the way, there is a small US supplier that makes Z scale helixes in kit form (they take double track with the 195mm and 220mm radius curves), but they only raise or lower the track level by 40mm, which is far too small an opening for my 1:1 scale hands.

At one point I thought of having the staging tracks on an unscenicked lower level shelf at the front of the layout, and just pretend that I didn't see it. The practical problem there is that it'd have to be as wide as one that was at the back anyway (at least 175mm and preferably 200mm for six tracks), which would mean having to reach futher to get to the back of the "visible" part of the layout.

At this point "all options are on the table", as they say in the corporate world, so the solution I adopt might end up being quite different from what I've outlined above Cool
Gary
Z Scale