Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline lpesce  
#1 Posted : 05 May 2024 00:30:07(UTC)
lpesce

United States   
You have been a member since:: 04/03/2024(UTC)
Hello all.

My latest digital conversion involved the 3054 using the 60944 kit.

I have done about 30 conversions so far with a lot of the 30xx series locomotives.

I searched here and google for problems with this conversion, as I have found one that seems nobody mentioned in their installation ( example is http://maerklin-sammler-...omotiven/03054/03054.htm ).

What I found is that when installing the permanent magnet, the lower nipple is too long and will not clear the center wheel. The outside nipples are of two diameters.

As I was looking at the various parts, I found that the new motor plate has a bracket that touches both the small and larger parts of the nipple. So my solution was to cut off part of the smaller part, enough to clear the wheel. Once in, then there was plenty of room for the wheel set to slide back and forth.

Has anyone seen this particular issue with this engine and motor kit?

Now the engine is back together, ready for the run in (I do this using a DC throttle). The decoder will be next with Keep Alive, and LED lights.

On another note (as seen from the above mentioned link (Umbau Märklin 3054 auf HLA und ESU M4 Decoder), it shows lights inside the center part in the body. Were these lights on all the time while running, or just for inspections?

Cheers
Leo P BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by lpesce
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 05 May 2024 13:49:56(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Two different magnet frames were made for different models. Finding the ncorrect fit one new old stock may be rare. Even used. It isn't uncommon to have to mill out the frame so the one you have fits. Under frame or ditch lights can be for both inspection and appearance. Usually digitally switchable.
Offline lpesce  
#3 Posted : 10 May 2024 06:43:41(UTC)
lpesce

United States   
You have been a member since:: 04/03/2024(UTC)
Thank you for the information. As stated, after modifying the magnet frame lower nipple, the whole frame went in with no problems.

I have not touched the engine since, but I should be able to get to it this Saturday to complete the decoder installation.

Cheers
Leo P
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by lpesce
Offline mvd71  
#4 Posted : 10 May 2024 07:07:36(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Leo,

The 3054 shouldn’t normally present any problems for converting with that kit. Perhaps a photo to show the problem you are having?

I’ve converted a few of these locos and I’ve never had to do anything special to make the motor fit.

Cheers…..

Mike
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 10 May 2024 12:21:48(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
We are talking about the 3054 and regarding the motor, whether it has the old LFCM or the newer DCM motor make a big difference.
All 3054 having a DCM motor are 100% compatible with HDLA motor 60941
All previous 3054 with an LFCM are compatible with the HDLA motor 60944 (brush holder with the bogies guide and the anker with 8 teeth).
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 10 May 2024 20:22:13(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Yes, and all the ones I have converted have been LFCM.

They worked no problem for me.