Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sfophx  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2024 20:52:51(UTC)
sfophx

United States   
Hello everyone! I'm hoping I can get some help with my journey from analog to digital. I recently made the jump into converting some of my old engines from what ever their current status was ...to digital. I have been experimenting with different decoders ( Marklin, only) to see which is easiest. Not necessarily interested in sound, etc. for these engines. Just wanting them to run on the C track.

I purchased a few #60983 decoders. I installed one into a #3003 loco. No success! The front light fades in and out, and when power is applied, it can not be turned off ? Most importantly, the engine does not respond, at all. It says it is 'registering' and appears to have gone through the process...but, nothing??

I am thinking a few things...am I using the wrong decoder for #3003, or have I wired it incorrectly? I noticed that this decoder does not have the brown 'ground' wire but, it has a black wire ?
If anyone could help on how to wire or other thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks....
sfophx
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sfophx
Offline ktsolias  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2024 21:13:30(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
The 60983 decoder as all the 6098x decoders use the NEM color code which is different from the Μärklin color code

In the manual of the decoder there is very detailed explanation of the color codes

Any way:
Red=B
Black=O
Gray=Motor 1
Orange=Motor 2
Blue=U+ (18V)
White=front light
Yellow=rear light
Green=AUX 1
Violet=AUX 2

Be careful bad connections can destroy the decoder

Costas
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline Kiko  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2024 21:34:03(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Originally Posted by: sfophx Go to Quoted Post
I purchased a few #60983 decoders. I installed one into a #3003 loco. No success!

Hello sfophx, [would be nice to have a real first name]

First of all, is you 3003 an original or has it been modified? If it's an original, then it would have an AC motor (i.e., SFCM with a winding coil) and a reversing relay mechanism (see attached spare parts list). What you need to do first, is replace the AC motor with a DC motor (what is usually called DCM). Once you purchase that part (it also contains a 5-pole armature), you can then start the digitization of the loco.

There is an article by Ross Stewart dated 27-12-2012 -- and he has a GREAT web page full of valuable info -- that explains his process of converting a 3003 to MFX digital. Here's a link: https://www.rossmstewart.net/rms/tips.html

Here'a another great site (Rainer's model railway) with detailed explanation on the conversion process of a 3003: https://www.stayathome.ch/maerklin_br24.htm. (Use Google translate -- works very well).

I hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

Good Luck!
Andry

Spare Parts List (3003).pdf (163kb) downloaded 2 time(s). BR24 MFX Conversion and LED Lighting.pdf (775kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
Andry
// Marklin HO K track; ECoS; TrainController Gold; Marklin & ESU decoders; Arduino controlled Switches, Semaphores & Accessories (DCC); Win 11 //
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Kiko
Offline sfophx  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2024 06:53:49(UTC)
sfophx

United States   
Originally Posted by: Kiko Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: sfophx Go to Quoted Post
I purchased a few #60983 decoders. I installed one into a #3003 loco. No success!

Hello sfophx, [would be nice to have a real first name]

First of all, is you 3003 an original or has it been modified? If it's an original, then it would have an AC motor (i.e., SFCM with a winding coil) and a reversing relay mechanism (see attached spare parts list). What you need to do first, is replace the AC motor with a DC motor (what is usually called DCM). Once you purchase that part (it also contains a 5-pole armature), you can then start the digitization of the loco.

There is an article by Ross Stewart dated 27-12-2012 -- and he has a GREAT web page full of valuable info -- that explains his process of converting a 3003 to MFX digital. Here's a link: https://www.rossmstewart.net/rms/tips.html

Here'a another great site (Rainer's model railway) with detailed explanation on the conversion process of a 3003: https://www.stayathome.ch/maerklin_br24.htm. (Use Google translate -- works very well).

I hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

Good Luck!
Andry

Andry,
Thanks so much for your quick reply. Much appreciated! So much still to learn !! And thank you for the insight...
Look forward to checking out the sites you recommended...
BTW... Stephen, is my first name. I was not sure what was considered appropriate ...?
Thanks again,
Stephen

Spare Parts List (3003).pdf (163kb) downloaded 2 time(s). BR24 MFX Conversion and LED Lighting.pdf (775kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

Offline sfophx  
#5 Posted : 30 April 2024 06:59:49(UTC)
sfophx

United States   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
The 60983 decoder as all the 6098x decoders use the NEM color code which is different from the Μärklin color code

In the manual of the decoder there is very detailed explanation of the color codes

Any way:
Red=B
Black=O
Gray=Motor 1
Orange=Motor 2
Blue=U+ (18V)
White=front light
Yellow=rear light
Green=AUX 1
Violet=AUX 2

Be careful bad connections can destroy the decoder

Costas

Costas,
Thank you so much for clarifying, thought I was going crazy ? I did not realize that the 6098x use the NEM code. I saw that it was referenced in the manual but, Marklin seems to do that in all their manuals ? You no doubt saved me from burning out another decoder!

Thanks again,
Stephen