Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline franciscohg  
#1 Posted : 24 April 2024 03:19:18(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Views messages in topic : 3,275
Hi all. I run my layout with a CS3, many brands of locomotives and decoders, all went well so far. I have bought a couple of Roco locos this year, with Zimo decoders runnung under DCC, a D311.01, with 2 decoders and a 310.20. Locos sometimes just did not respond to any command, or stop working in the middle of a run. To make responsive again i have to hit stop several times or just restart the CS3. This happen with only DCC protocol active on the CS3 or with DCC and mfx activated. It also happens with software 2.4.1 and 2.5.2.
All others locos runs fine, with maerklin, ESU, Zimo and Uhlenbrock decoders.
Any clue?
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline franciscohg  
#2 Posted : 24 April 2024 05:09:18(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Little update.
I have released from slavery the good old CS2, the decoder reacts perfectly normal under DCC, i activated mfx protocol on it and it was perfectly read and worked properly. I putted again on the hands of the CS3 and it took several attemps to be fully read by the unit, once it was done, the decoder worked properly for a while and then again the same problem. Back to the CS2, the firmware version of the deco is from 10/2023, there is an update from 12/2023, even if it is no protocol bugs named in the changelog, i will make the firmware update tomorrow and see what happens....It seems to be a problem with CS3 software, strange thing is that it happens under DCC and mfx, so no problem with fit mfx compatibility. If problem persists will just have to wait to a CS3 update, i hope not to be the only person with the problem and marklin is aware of it. A quick search show nothing like that on the web though.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2024 14:06:17(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Try putting them on the prgram track of your CS3, and changing the address to another from any others with MM and MFX, plus signal and turnout decoders. That's what I did.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Copenhagen  
#4 Posted : 24 April 2024 15:05:08(UTC)
Copenhagen

From what I understand, as others have mentioned, is that the solution is to set it up in DCC instead of mfx. I guess you will have to diable the mfx protocol in the locomotive's decoder in order not to have it automatically register in mfx when you are outside programming mode in CS3.
I haven't upgraded to version 2.5 yet.

Edit: after reading the posts from Francis again I'm not sure that what I wrote covers his problems. I may have misunderstood and the problem may be something completely else. Sorry if that's the case.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline franciscohg  
#5 Posted : 25 April 2024 02:37:45(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello all again
Well, i always disable mfx on Zimo MS decoders (also Uhlenbrock) they dont work well IMHO. In this case it was just to see if anything changes, also always use the programming track to register or manually enter/mopfify any locomotive.
Anyway, did the firmware update on the decoder and everything is going well so far......Fingers crossed
Regards
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 25 April 2024 12:28:47(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Is there any difference between the Zimo mx645, and mx650, and newer decoders being mfx compatible? Aren't they already DCC set up from Roco?
Offline franciscohg  
#7 Posted : 26 April 2024 01:46:34(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well, MS decoders superseed MX sound decoder, with more memory and better processor. mfx is not available in subminiature MS decoders.
On previous years locos came with all protocols active but in the end i turned off mfx because recognition was not reliable IMHO and mapping was not possible directly with CS3, so no real advantage.
The two recent locos that i bought this year came with mfx deactivated ex factory.
With the D311 it makes sense to me since each half of the loco has his decoder, motor and speaker, so with mfx active it would be recognized as 2 different locos, forcing to create a MU unit to run them.
With the 310.20 it was a surprise, perhaps they realized that mfx is not working real well on Zimo MS decoders and decided to turn it off ex factory
Regards
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg