Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline pmrenier  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2013 00:38:27(UTC)
pmrenier

I upgraded from the MS1 to the MS2 about 6 months ago and everything was great. Cool That is until I decided to reset the MS2 via the menus a few weeks ago. When the unit boots up it displays the default language value of German. I go through the menus to change it to English but it never changes. If I return to the language menu after the "change" it is set to English but everything is still displayed in German. If I change it to any one of the other languages it still stays in German. I have nothing against German but it gets difficult to program decoders when having to look up the translations. Has anyone ever experienced this and it there a solution? I have reset it dozens of times hoping that it will work this time.Angry

Paul

Edited by user 06 February 2013 15:31:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

pmrenier attached the following image(s):
06.JPG
Offline sikardon  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2013 08:42:15(UTC)
sikardon

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: pmrenier Go to Quoted Post
I upgraded from the MS1 to the MS2 about 6 months ago and everything was great. Cool That is until I decided to reset the MS2 via the menus a few weeks ago. When the unit boots up it displays the default language value of German. I go through the menus to change it to English but it never changes. If I return to the language menu after the "change" it is set to English but everything is still displayed in German. If I change it to any one of the other languages it still stays in German. I have nothing against German but it gets difficult to program decoders when having to look up the translations. Has anyone ever experienced this and it there a solution? I have reset it dozens of times hoping that it will work this time.Angry

Paul

Hi,

After you select "English", have you press the button associated with it? In your picture, after you select "English", then press the third button from the top, on the left part of screen? It should change to English after an automatic restart, if not, then it's weird. Sorry, cannot help to much, never had this problem before, perhaps another members in this forum can help you. Good luck.

Sony
Offline pmrenier  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2013 21:52:27(UTC)
pmrenier

Hi,

After you select "English", have you press the button associated with it? In your picture, after you select "English", then press the third button from the top, on the left part of screen? It should change to English after an automatic restart, if not, then it's weird. Sorry, cannot help to much, never had this problem before, perhaps another members in this forum can help you. Good luck.

Sony

I have selected English. What I was hoping to show with the picture is that English has been selected, but all the menus still show up as German. When I do change the language from German to English it does not do an automatic restart. It just returns to train control screen. Is that what it is supposed to happen?

Paul
Offline 3rail4life  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2013 04:55:44(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi Paul,

The MS2 does not restart after changing language, it just returns to previous operating screen, I would suggest updating to the latest software version 1.81 which would include an update to the language data base. You just have to find someone in your area with an updated Central Station 2 to plug in to. If that does not fix it, then there may be a problem.

Gordon
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2013 08:33:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: 3rail4life Go to Quoted Post
You just have to find someone in your area with an updated Central Station 2 to plug in to.
An updated MS2 will also do.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline 3rail4life  
#6 Posted : 23 January 2013 19:28:00(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
You just have to find someone in your area with an updated Central Station 2 to plug in to.
An updated MS2 will also do.

Yes Tom ThumpUp , Thanks, I forgot about that , simply plugging it in to the track box with an updated MS2, will work just as well.

Gordon
Offline pmrenier  
#7 Posted : 25 January 2013 01:28:14(UTC)
pmrenier

Gordon and Tom, thanks for the advice. I don't know anyone in my area with a CS2 or even with Marklin Crying . Since I started to use the MS2 I always thought I would enjoy a second one for my layout. Any thoughts on the best place/person to buy from to ensure I get the latest software?

Paul
Offline pmrenier  
#8 Posted : 25 January 2013 03:09:58(UTC)
pmrenier

Hi Paul,

The MS2 does not restart after changing language, it just returns to previous operating screen, I would suggest updating to the latest software version 1.81 which would include an update to the language data base. You just have to find someone in your area with an updated Central Station 2 to plug in to. If that does not fix it, then there may be a problem.

Gordon

I just checked my MS2 and it is software version 1.81. Do you still think an update from another will fix this odd issue?

Paul
Offline 3rail4life  
#9 Posted : 25 January 2013 03:43:53(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi Paul,

What? No Märklin dealer in Nashville? Cursing Well they are few and far between here in the states, I would think that any of the major dealers here could check for the update before shipping. I could update yours for the cost of postage, if you would like to try it. I will also have some new ones with update for sale soon Woot , you may pm me for details if you are interested.

Gordon
Offline 3rail4life  
#10 Posted : 25 January 2013 05:38:18(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi Paul,

Gordon

I just checked my MS2 and it is software version 1.81. Do you still think an update from another will fix this odd issue?

Paul

It is odd, and I was just thinking it would be worth a try if you had the older software. How about the Launguage / Sprachdatei version ? that changed recently, mine is V 1.48 and I seem to think it may have been rolled back to a previous version in the last update, (CS2 V. 2.2.0 ) but am not sure Confused. Compared to the previous version mobile station I have found the MS2 to be pretty solid and hope yours will get sorted out.

Gordon
User is suspended until 23/03/4752 12:54:35(UTC) Mulldog Lemon  
#11 Posted : 28 January 2013 04:02:52(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Hi Paul,

Gordon

Paul

Paul, my MS2 is from 29131 starter.
SW V1.3
HW V2.0
LDB V009 10/2 (February 2010)

I can confirm that selecting "Sprache" then "english" after the reset will return to the loco panel immediately.
I've never had the problem that you describe.

It would be nice if the update could be done with a loco card. It would be even nicer if post-MS2 locos came with a loco card as do they do in the starter packs.Glare

UserPostedImage
Offline pmrenier  
#12 Posted : 29 January 2013 14:58:42(UTC)
pmrenier

Originally Posted by: Mulldog Lemon Go to Quoted Post
Hi Paul,

Gordon

Paul

Paul, my MS2 is from 29131 starter.
SW V1.3
HW V2.0
LDB V009 10/2 (February 2010)

I can confirm that selecting "Sprache" then "english" after the reset will return to the loco panel immediately.
I've never had the problem that you describe.

It would be nice if the update could be done with a loco card. It would be even nicer if post-MS2 locos came with a loco card as do they do in the starter packs.Glare

That would be a great way to update the MS2. Marklin could even sell a loco card programmer. Then you could do the loco and MS2 programing from a PC or Mac.

Paul

Offline pmrenier  
#13 Posted : 06 February 2013 15:35:06(UTC)
pmrenier

All is well now thanks to Gordon, and I now have a 2nd MS2.ThumpUp I plugged the new MS2 into the conection box and it automatically updated the German speaking unit. Changed the language and now all seems to be working great! If you are looking to get the MS2 in the US, Gordon is your guy.

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pmrenier
Offline gerardo960  
#14 Posted : 06 February 2013 15:50:57(UTC)
gerardo960

Argentina   
Hi all I have a problem with my mobile station 60653 which I read the memory cards and also I wanted to see if you can change memory cards as is the procedure.
Offline 3rail4life  
#15 Posted : 06 February 2013 20:01:07(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Great news Paul! I am glad to hear you Ms2 has it's multi sprache capabilities back. ThumpUp thanks for the ^^^'s.

Gordon
Offline Aussie Susan  
#16 Posted : 18 April 2024 05:02:01(UTC)
Aussie Susan

Australia   
I know this is an old thread but I received a new ICE 2 Starter set (29792) 2 days ago that contains the MS2 (60657) and it is supposed to have software update 3.55.

However I get exactly the issue that is described by the OP. I note that "English' is spelt 'Englisch' but the other languages listed seem to be correct for that language (I can recognise the French and Danish spellings at least).

I can provide other information as to version number s from the 'Information' displays (but please let me know what abbreviations are required as they are in German).

Otherwise very happy with the new kit.

Susan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Aussie Susan
Offline marklinist5999  
#17 Posted : 18 April 2024 13:04:52(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Susan, the latest software is version 4.13.
Offline Aussie Susan  
#18 Posted : 19 April 2024 04:29:37(UTC)
Aussie Susan

Australia   
Thanks marklinist5999.

That makes me wonder if there was a reversion of the 'bug' that was supposed to be fixed in V1.82 (as the title of this thread suggests)?

Has anyone else seen this with a more recent MS2?

Susan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Aussie Susan
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 19 April 2024 09:59:53(UTC)
H0

As I understand it, the translations are part of every update, but come in a separate file.
So if the language file is missing or damaged on your MS2, then any update should do the trick. Even an "update" from the same version should be enough to restore the translations file.
Updates can be done from MS2 to MS2, from CS2 to MS2, and from CS3 to MS2.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0