Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sforugby  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2024 21:05:18(UTC)
sforugby

United States   
Marklin.22.Mar.2024.jpg

Hi I am in the middle of building this layout and having some challenges with catenary transition in shadow station / tunnel areas.

I would like to run with pantographs up and will have more than enough clearance to run e-lok's with pantographs in the tunnel / shadow station areas (already tested).

As you can see I started with Viessman 4195, but not happy with it at all and in the process of removing it.

Does anyone have any practical examples that would allow the remain pantographs up in the tunnel and then slope down and transition back to normal marklin catenary.

Thanks!

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by sforugby
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 22 March 2024 22:59:13(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello sforugby,

I did not attempt to use a transition catenary.
With my C track layout I continued the standard Märklin catenary through the tunnel area, which is about 2.5 metres (8 feet) of curved R4 and R5 track.
But I took extra precaution inside the tunnel by using shorter catenary sections than Märklin specification on the curved track.
That made it stronger and not so likely to get shifted.

The Märklin catenary is extremely robust and I have never had any problems running pantographs up for 14 years now.
I do have to make occasional adjustments to a few mast outriggers to suit a new loco.
This is where the pantos are not quite level crossways on the loco, and they can foul the outrigger.
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Roland  
#3 Posted : 23 March 2024 04:13:53(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Originally Posted by: sforugby Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone have any practical examples that would allow the remain pantographs up in the tunnel and then slope down and transition back to normal marklin catenary.

Here's an example at 23:37 of this video.
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Roland
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 23 March 2024 12:40:46(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thanks for the video Roland. Just a little note that an air stapler doesn't fit in every nook you may be building,so a smaller hand stapler is handy as well.
Offline HO Collector  
#5 Posted : 23 March 2024 23:15:27(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
I might not understand your question, your intentions, or both.

Do you run live catenary? if not, why do you need catenary in the tunnels? just attach a wire at an angle from above the extended pantographs and this will push them to the correct height of the catenary.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by HO Collector
Offline PLeVan  
#6 Posted : 25 March 2024 16:53:41(UTC)
PLeVan

United States   
Hello all. I'm logging on to the forum after a long absence, and am enjoying reading through these thoughtful postings. It's wonderful to see the care taken with them.

And since this is about catenary, I'm wondering if others have noticed (as I did) the disclaimer in the new C-track catenary about extended use. (Sorry, I don't have an example with me, but the disclaimer appeared on a little slip of paper with the products, I think.) It made me think that possibly the new catenary is limited to "decorative" applications (a term I found in this topic's postings).

But the loyal, "get power from the catenary" afficionados would protest, me thinks!

I haven't tried to new catenary yet (still using the old M-track sections that have been so reliable over the years). Should I be scared?

On a happy note, I noticed while riding DB last year that the catenary zig zags back and forth over the track. This seems to be how Maerklin suggests using the new catenary; I assume that each mast has two hanging locations? I suppose that on the prototype, pantograph wear is distributed over a wider swath of contact on the wiper.

Thanks everyone!
Paul
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PLeVan