Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2024 11:10:00(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, bought a Roco ÖBB Steam loco Rh 77 and originally it had 1 axle with 2 rubber tyres, it couldn't go up an incline with 3 passenger carriages so I thought I'll get another axle with 2 rubber tyres but there was one little problem, the original axle had a cog wheel in the middle and the axle I was going to replace didn't, so there was only one thing to do, remove both wheels on both axles and change them over, the other task was to align them correctly (90° difference) it took me 3 times to align them properly, the other thing was a bit of a surprise, they had plastic inserts to hold the bars on the wheel, Märklin has always metal screws to hold the bars, I've ordered a tap set screw set and hopefully use Märklin screws after I've made a thread into the wheel. anyhow besides this I put the loco back onto the track and she got up the incline without any problem carrying 5 carriages., so this was a relieve and my efforts weren't for nothing.
I think the loco only weighs about 300g

John

DSC08812.JPG
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#2 Posted : 22 March 2024 14:31:37(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, bought a Roco ÖBB Steam loco Rh 77 and originally it had 1 axle with 2 rubber tyres, it couldn't go up an incline with 3 passenger carriages so I thought I'll get another axle with 2 rubber tyres but there was one little problem, the original axle had a cog wheel in the middle and the axle I was going to replace didn't, so there was only one thing to do, remove both wheels on both axles and change them over, the other task was to align them correctly (90° difference) it took me 3 times to align them properly, the other thing was a bit of a surprise, they had plastic inserts to hold the bars on the wheel, Märklin has always metal screws to hold the bars, I've ordered a tap set screw set and hopefully use Märklin screws after I've made a thread into the wheel. anyhow besides this I put the loco back onto the track and she got up the incline without any problem carrying 5 carriages., so this was a relieve and my efforts weren't for nothing.
I think the loco only weighs about 300g

John

DSC08812.JPG

Hi John,
As I mentioned earlier in your post about Roco Class 310 in Royal Austrian Blue- locomotive is gorgeous but to light to pull 5 Märklin CIWL carriages over slight incline. Common thing with Roco ( plastic) models.
Glad you sorted this out and not so simple fix resolved the issue.
BTW: Instead I went with BR 85 Hollental Valley locomotive and so fat ( knocking on wood ) is a great model ver good ZIMO sound and Dynamic Steam
Regards,
Marklineisenbahn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 22 March 2024 16:36:18(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
the tender is always metal with Roco steam locos but they can't produce the weight it needs to pull a descent amount of carriages, I'e asked them years ago why don't you add a rubber tyres to the main wheels (loco itself) and they sad the rim is to thin they can't do it., they'e introduced a shaft many years ago apparently the loco's speed they main wheels didn't keep up with the speed the loco was travelling, I may get this loco and see if I can go to an engineering work and see if the can put a groove into it, I'll get a spare axle for it.,
there are people at the helm but can't be bothered to do anything about it, the locos they would sell and it would affect Märklin if they add rubber tyres to the main driving wheels or axle., their tank locos are alright.
I'll keep you posted and see what I can do.

John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#4 Posted : 22 March 2024 17:28:28(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hi John,
Well not always, I have a few Roco steamers with tender and Roco is usually using 2 U shaped metal beams to enclose motor or 2 L shaped metal beams and tender remains plastic ! Roco P4, BR13, BR18, BR03 , Class 310 Those are Roco steamers I have so I know something about pulling abilities… in one world LOUSY ! Somehow Fleischmann ones are way better…
Cheers,
Jerry
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2024 12:39:22(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I got my tap drill set and now waiting for the hexagonal screws, I was lucky as the loco was running around the layout it lost one of its plastic screws holding the side bar, I'm quite disappointed Roco using plastic screws which are just stuck into the wheels hole, as I removed the wheel I snapped the end off it, it lasted but not for good, found the the little plastic screw further back from the track but I'm not going to put it back until I get the metal hexagonal screws, than I drill a thread into the wheels., you pay a lot of money for these locos and if you buy them including sound decoder you're up for over Euro 469.00 but some offer them for Euro 360.00 which is still a lot and these days manufacturers get away with it., at least I don't have to take the axle out again as the wheel is plastic but the rim is metal

John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109