Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline boeffen85  
#1 Posted : 09 March 2019 17:58:31(UTC)
boeffen85

Denmark   
I just got myself a used Märklin 37282 v188 diesellok from my father which has diesel sound and signal horn.
But the sound is very very low. I can just hear it if it put my ear to the train and if theres other trains running i even can't hear the signal horn.

My father said that i drove with it around a half year ago where the sound was fine.

What can the problem be?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 09 March 2019 19:07:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: boeffen85 Go to Quoted Post
I just got myself a used Märklin 37282 v188 diesellok from my father which has diesel sound and signal horn.
But the sound is very very low. I can just hear it if it put my ear to the train and if theres other trains running i even can't hear the signal horn.

My father said that i drove with it around a half year ago where the sound was fine.

What can the problem be?

This sounds like either a faulty speaker or a faulty solder joint on the speaker wiring.

I can't recall if this loco has an ESU decoder (the first generation mfx ones) or a marklin decoder. If it is an ESU one then they were renown for having speakers that go faulty.

Offline boeffen85  
#3 Posted : 09 March 2019 20:24:11(UTC)
boeffen85

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

What can the problem be?

This sounds like either a faulty speaker or a faulty solder joint on the speaker wiring.

I can't recall if this loco has an ESU decoder (the first generation mfx ones) or a marklin decoder. If it is an ESU one then they were renown for having speakers that go faulty.

So its a very small chance that it's a decoder problem?

And if it's the speaker, does it need to be a specific speaker or can it be just a random one?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 09 March 2019 22:52:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

What can the problem be?

And if it's the speaker, does it need to be a specific speaker or can it be just a random one?

If it is the decoder family from ESU that was supplied to Marklin then it needs a 100 ohm speaker. Later decoders used 8 ohm speakers, but using these with the ESU decoders will damage the decoder.

Offline boeffen85  
#5 Posted : 09 March 2019 23:25:21(UTC)
boeffen85

Denmark   

What can the problem be?

If it is the decoder family from ESU that was supplied to Marklin then it needs a 100 ohm speaker. Later decoders used 8 ohm speakers, but using these with the ESU decoders will damage the decoder.

I have been open it at on the speaker it says:

acoustec
LD28/08-FN/M
- 8ohm 0.2w +
I25
Offline applor  
#6 Posted : 10 March 2019 00:49:37(UTC)
applor

Australia   
So yeah any small 8 ohm speaker will be fine. I think the problem is Marklin opted for 0.2W speakers which is too low, the speaker gets over driven and blows prematurely.

You can buy 28mm 8ohm speakers on ebay from China for dirt cheap.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline Simplyme  
#7 Posted : 05 November 2023 02:01:37(UTC)
Simplyme

Australia   

What can the problem be?

You can adjust the sound by lifting the body off - there are two adjustable screws at one end that allow you to adjust the locomotive sound and the horn sound.

Offline Cybibacsi  
#8 Posted : 31 January 2024 21:17:51(UTC)
Cybibacsi

Hungary   
Hi Masters!
I have a question about locomotive sound.
I was given an Esu Loksound 5 /58410/ decoder!
After installation the hanager is quiet.
In Cs2, even if I turn it up, it doesn't change.
Anyone have any experience with this decoder would have advice on what to do.
Thanks in advance for the answer!

Best regards:Attila
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 01 February 2024 00:44:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Cybibacsi Go to Quoted Post
Hi Masters!
I have a question about locomotive sound.
I was given an Esu Loksound 5 /58410/ decoder!
After installation the hanager is quiet.
In Cs2, even if I turn it up, it doesn't change.
Anyone have any experience with this decoder would have advice on what to do.
Thanks in advance for the answer!

Best regards:Attila

Does it have the correct speaker? It requires an 8 ohm speaker. There was previously a Loksound V3 that required a 100 ohm speaker. If this speaker is used with a Loksound 5 the volume will be very low.

If you have a small multimeter you can check the speaker resistance very easily.

Offline Cybibacsi  
#10 Posted : 01 February 2024 09:22:45(UTC)
Cybibacsi

Hungary   
It has its own speaker which is added with the decoder.
I measured the resistance of the speaker which is 8ohm!
There is another problem. The sound of the steam engine does not follow the speed of the engine. It always makes a sound in one beat.
Accelerating the engine does not change the speed of the sound either!
The decoder is new, not used.