Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bahnhof fan  
#1 Posted : 20 January 2024 14:30:02(UTC)
Bahnhof fan

United States   
Has anyone purchased LS MW1001 Nord Express and ran it on Marklin C or K Track with a Marklin locomotive?
Do the coaches run through wide radius marklin turnouts? Or are there problems? The set looks great, but I worry about the compatibility with Marklin locomotives and how the LS trucks/ wheels fare through Marklin turnouts and curved track. I realize these are not small radius coaches….What are the minimum radius requirements? Are you satisfied with your acquisition?

Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2024 11:39:23(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
I cannot imagine they would present problems if they are a reputable model brand.
However that statement has to be heavily qualified.

If the cars are scale length (many of the Märklin passenger cars are less than scale length) they may not be accomodated on your layout or generally on small radius curves.
Or they may foul lineside objects that are NOT fouled by your Märklin cars.
As for running through Märklin turnouts etc. the supplied wheels may not be compatible so it may be a matter of changing the wheelsets.
First you have to find which Märklin sets would fit.
Then the Märklin wheels are quite expensive, Euro 12 for 2 axles.

By the way that LS Nord Express set is very attractive.
I made up my own set by purchasing 1960s French PMP and Rateau tinplate cars which were a similar length to Märklin cars and with compatible wheels.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Vinedusk  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2024 22:05:23(UTC)
Vinedusk

Australia   
I haven't bought this; it's way too expensive for me. This set now has internal lighting. The price was increased to reflect that. There is a 2-car supplement pack that might be a cheaper alternative to experiment with.

I've read a few posts here where current LSM owners have problems with turnout derailments. Some dealers are stating that AC wheelsets are not available for it. Running with the internal lighting will require some preparation. My understanding that the issue with the wheels is clearance with the body, but I don't know that for a fact. Maybe Roco or Weinart have AC wheel sets that could be used?

So, running this set on Marklin track is likely to be problematic although there are plenty of Marklin locos that can be matched with this set.

If Marklin's new Pullman cars are their own and not rebranded; then I can't see why they won't be introducing a sleeping car range as well. This problem may resolve itself.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Vinedusk