Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Snowfun  
#1 Posted : 09 January 2024 16:49:12(UTC)
Snowfun

United Kingdom   
Hello,
I want to incorporate coupling/uncoupling into a small layout. Nothing complex - a locomotive reaching the end of a straight section of track, uncoupling, heading back to the other end of the train via a couple of points, coupling and off she goes (around a return loop to do it again). I see the C track 24997 does what I need... I am using the coupling mechanisms as they come out of the box (I have the Flying Scotsman 39968 and a Krokodil 39595). It would be nice to operate the uncoupler with my CS3+ but not absolutely critical.
Key question: does 24997 work reliably? Is there a superior alternative?
Thank you for opinions, comments and advice!
Best regards,
Tim
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Snowfun
Offline Bogenschütze  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2024 17:21:43(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
Hi Tim

I don't have a permanent layout but content myself (at present) with C-track carpetbahn sessions or sometimes on the table top. I have two 24997 uncouplers and find them very effective and reliable.

Originally I operated them by hand but wanted to control them digitally. Because of the temporary nature of my setup, I don't want to use a M83 decoder with wires running everywhere so I managed to insert a 74462 turnout decoder hidden within the ballast molding of each uncoupler. Perhaps an expensive solution but it works for me. I use a MS2 and operation of the uncouplers is perfect. The turnout decoders give exactly the right strength and length of pulse to operate the uncoupler mechanism.

Keith
Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bogenschütze
Offline Snowfun  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2024 18:17:37(UTC)
Snowfun

United Kingdom   
I like the idea of using the 74462 (unless it involves complex and fiddly work!)
Reassuring to hear that 24997s work on a carpetbahn.
Tim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Snowfun
Offline bygger01  
#4 Posted : 09 January 2024 23:53:22(UTC)
bygger01

Denmark   
I'm actually doing the opposite - removing my decouplers - and there are approx. 10 of them in K track.

They are all digitally controlled and have never been used very many times.

They are ugly and noisy, so there is no reason to keep them on our layout
Those present where they are installed are also max. 40 cm from the edge, and it will soon be a hand-torn decoupling ....
Best regards
Jørgen St. from Herning in DK
H0 / Märklin K track / CS3+ / full digital / Epoke III +/-
Offline rhfil  
#5 Posted : 10 January 2024 13:36:16(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I built a test layout which did exactly what you are hoping to do. My engine would start with a consist at one end of the layout go to the opposite end, back into a siding, uncouple, go to a second siding, pick up a consist and return to the first area and back up into the first siding. I actually had 4 24997's which worked very reliably. I connected them to an M84 which has the capability of sending out a short, voltage reduced burst to keep the noise down. It was all operated with a CS3+. Somewhere on this site is how I got the M84 to do what I wanted.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 10 January 2024 14:57:07(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Tim
My permanent C Track layout and exclusively Märklin has 24997 and all of them are working very reliably provided:
- there is no pulling force exerted on the coupling (so pushing works better
- short burst of activation are better than a long one (which may interfere with sliders or some body construction (snow plugs, etc)
- some locos are simply non-compatible with the uncoupler (not enough space for the 24997 to raise high enough to raise the buckle) but luckily this is rare.

Some of these 24997 are noisy which is their key drawback. I suspect, new units attached on a thing foam bed would reduce the noise
Those units have a built-in thermal protection so if the coil temperature goes to high, the protection cust off the power.

On my layout, all uncoupler tracks are operated by Rocrail and they work every time provided there is no pulling force on the coupler which may prevent the buckle to be lifted.
On the video below you may see two different 24997 operating to automatically uncouple any kind of train (0:28, 038 and 13:24 into it).
At the end of the same video (21:10 into it), you may see a humping yard (marshalling yard), automatically operated uncoupler. The trigger in this case is an oblique infra-red beam to locate the exact coupler position.

I hope this helps
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline bygger01  
#7 Posted : 10 January 2024 15:28:40(UTC)
bygger01

Denmark   
I have now looked at the nice video with many good details.

I have the same turntable, and I hate it, because it is always dirty, so it almost need a push to get the locomotive - especially the big steam locomotives - through. How can you keep / get those metal sheets so clean?

There is also light inside the wheelhouse – it looks nice – so where do you draw the power from. And it must power from light and not digital power !!

There is also sound on, is it homemade or something bought. The sound could muffle the noise from the turntable.

The impressive exact stop on the bridge!

BRAVO .............
Best regards
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bygger01
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 10 January 2024 17:28:33(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jørgen
Originally Posted by: bygger01 Go to Quoted Post
I have now looked at the nice video with many good details.

I have the same turntable, and I hate it, because it is always dirty, so it almost need a push to get the locomotive - especially the big steam locomotives - through. How can you keep / get those metal sheets so clean?

There is also light inside the wheelhouse – it looks nice – so where do you draw the power from. And it must power from light and not digital power !!

There is also sound on, is it homemade or something bought. The sound could muffle the noise from the turntable.

The impressive exact stop on the bridge!

BRAVO .............

Thanks Glad you like it.
The "planks" on the turntable are zamak with a thin metal cover, so fragile (no abrasive, never) and a soft cleaning with a contact liquid before each use helps a lot.
The 7286 TT is fitted (by me) with a DSD2010 (DigitalBahn) set of 2 decoders: one main ("Grube") for overall operation and a slave one ("Bühne")under the bridge. This allows to have up to 3 detection zones on the bridge, digital controlled cabin light, flash light, four signals and a SUSI sound module.
The turntable is very silent. Here it is when I purchased it in 2013

Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline bygger01  
#9 Posted : 10 January 2024 20:07:38(UTC)
bygger01

Denmark   
There is no doubt, that mine from 2008 makes more noise.

It has also had a trip past Märklin for repair with the magnetic stop device.

It works analogously to the supplied hand control from Märklin, and I am actually quite satisfied with that, because it is placed next to my CS3.

The center conductors seem to be coated with something or is it the light that is deceiving??

But otherwise the decoder equipment seems to be more than I can handle....
Best regards
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bygger01
Offline JohnjeanB  
#10 Posted : 10 January 2024 21:34:35(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Yes the planks casted in Zamak are covered with a metal treatment (Metal ion transfers through a bath and a DC current - disappearing anode). All this is factory made by Fleischmann / Märklin.
What metal it is ? I don't know. Often it starts with copper as an underlayer. It is very thin (a few microns)

Decoder
I purchased the DSD2010 as a kit (to fit with components, to wire, test, install, program yourself)
Here is the main decoder (Grübe)
Grube.png
and the slave decoder (Bühne) with the whole wiring (4 signals, SUSI, cabin light, warning light
Buhne.png

Cheers
Jean