Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2023 22:43:42(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, ESU has announced with the new updated software you can program the treble and bass sound, I also noticed there are now 18 AUX functions available/displayed (lokprogrammer), like to know what is happening here., will there be a version 6.0 loksound decoder in the making or will loksound V 5.0 updated to access 18 AUX functions or a new Adapter plate, wait and see

Edited by user 21 November 2023 04:08:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2023 00:11:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, ESU has announced with the new updated software you can program the treble and bass sound, I also noticed there are now 18 AUX functions available/displayed (lokprogrammer), like to know what is happening here., will there be a version 6.0 loksound decoder in the making or will loksound V 5.0 updated to access 18 AUX functions or a new Adapter plate, wait and see

it has been reported on the Loksound forum on groups.io that the treble and bass adjustments work on v5 decoders when the decoder firmware is updated. I would expect the aux functions to already be available, remember this may not be for H0 and smaller decoders, but rather for the larger scale ones.

But I come back to what I thought when I first heard that Marklin were doing 16 functions on the mfx decoder - what would you use them all for? At the moment we have a lot of sound functions that really only get fitted because of the number of logical functions available. So what would one REALLY do with 18 physical functions??? Confused Confused Confused

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 21 November 2023 04:06:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
They are not functions but AUX functions, at the moment there are 31 functions
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 21 November 2023 06:33:18(UTC)
Goofy

ESU Loksound 5 do have 31 functions. ESU do also have more AUX functions than Märklin. I am pretty sure that more output functions will also be held for the scale H0. Time will see what locomotives do have possible fits more output functions.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 21 November 2023 07:35:13(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
ESU Loksound 5 do have 31 functions. ESU do also have more AUX functions than Märklin. I am pretty sure that more output functions will also be held for the scale H0. Time will see what locomotives do have possible fits more output functions.

this is what I said, 31 functions but Aux functions so far had been restricted to 12 and not 18, 11 an 12 being logic Aux functions., the most you can use is up to Aux 8 function,

John

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline bph  
#6 Posted : 21 November 2023 12:31:36(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

it has been reported on the Loksound forum on groups.io that the treble and bass adjustments work on v5 decoders when the decoder firmware is updated. I would expect the aux functions to already be available, remember this may not be for H0 and smaller decoders, but rather for the larger scale ones.

But I come back to what I thought when I first heard that Marklin were doing 16 functions on the mfx decoder - what would you use them all for? At the moment we have a lot of sound functions that really only get fitted because of the number of logical functions available. So what would one REALLY do with 18 physical functions??? Confused Confused Confused

In the Marklin msd3/mld3 decoder, if I understand it correctly, the configuration files go up to 20 physical functions (up to PhysicAux18 + lights) and 64 functions. (and 80 mapping slots). This has been in the files for some years, but I guess is just some future proofing from Märklin.........?
As a side note, Flying Scotsman uses 12 physical functions, with 7 on SUSI (If have counted correctly).

What I do wish for is a more updated decoder from Märklin with more physical aux functions, but within the capacity of the MTC 21 connector, with a choice to use the pins as aux or sensors/motor3) Or perhaps a decoder plate with built-in Susi outputs.
On some of my conversions, I have run out of physical aux, but 2 or 4 more would have been nice. (yes I could have used a different brand, but I managed with some small compromises). E.g when using the 60973, which requires 2 aux to work, you quickly run out of physical aux.

So I hope this news from ESU will force Marklin to act ;)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 21 November 2023 14:14:43(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Oh, well, as an avid audio hifi enthusiast, bass and treble I don't either hear nor think adjustemnt of it on a small, low wattage sound byte card, file, or speaker is needed unless using an auxilairy amplifier, or amplified speakers from the controller output. Then the sounds don't come from the trains or Locos. What next, 5.1 surround sound, Dolby atmos, 7 channels? The deocders aren't even stereo.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
bph
Offline bph  
#8 Posted : 21 November 2023 21:31:35(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Oh, well, as an avid audio hifi enthusiast, bass and treble I don't either hear nor think adjustemnt of it on a small, low wattage sound byte card, file, or speaker is needed unless using an auxilairy amplifier, or amplified speakers from the controller output. Then the sounds don't come from the trains or Locos. What next, 5.1 surround sound, Dolby atmos, 7 channels? The deocders aren't even stereo.

I also like good sound, but it's hard to improve the sound from locomotives, as small speakers are the limit.
It will be interesting to see if Mems speakers find their way into model railroads. But currently, they lack performance in the lower tones. but they have made speakers with them, but they have conventional bas elements.
Offline marklinist5999  
#9 Posted : 21 November 2023 21:56:46(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Bph, are mems speakers high fidelity? They resemble the design of the membrane flat panel type from the 70s by Dalquist, etc.
Offline bph  
#10 Posted : 21 November 2023 23:27:49(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Bph, are mems speakers high fidelity? They resemble the design of the membrane flat panel type from the 70s by Dalquist, etc.

That probably depends on the maker and model, but it seems like some are: xmems.com, https://spectrum.ieee.org/mems-speakers
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 21 November 2023 23:55:11(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Follow up on the 18 Aux functions: apparently these 18 Aux functions which appear on the lokprogrammer are a generic creation, with other words it will appear on all decoders regardless the size of the decoder., which answers my question, it isn't directly associated with loksound 5.0 decoders.

John

Edited by user 22 November 2023 14:57:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109