Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Sashmeister  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2023 08:44:34(UTC)
Sashmeister

Bulgaria   
Hi guys,

I have an issue. I ve been trying to use the mDecoder Tool3 to reprogram a couple of Marklin decoders that come factory installed on their new models. Unfortunately as we know, these are locked and the program returns an error massage "this is not a retrofit decoder". Is there a way to bypass this? If not, how can i reprogram the function keys on the decoders (make F1 -> F2 for example)? I know i can use he Central Stations, but i dont own one. I run my trains with the Roco Z21 Multimaus system. Any ideas?

Sorry if this have been brought up before.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Sashmeister
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 13 October 2023 13:41:29(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I don't know if you can even do that with a CS 2 or 3. Only function icons, and second duration or momentary function is adjustable.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 13 October 2023 14:09:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I don't know if you can even do that with a CS 2 or 3.
Can be done with Central Station 1, 2, or 3, or even ESU ECoS.
For decoders supporting DCC this can be done with any DCC controller. But without GUI support this is a real hassle.
Some factory-installed decoders do not support DCC.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Sashmeister  
#4 Posted : 13 October 2023 15:48:17(UTC)
Sashmeister

Bulgaria   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
For decoders supporting DCC this can be done with any DCC controller. But without GUI support this is a real hassle.

These decoders support DCC as i am able to change the volumes, or other CVs using my Multimaus DCC controller. Any idea what CV i need to change to make my F14 -> F7 function for example? Or can i somehow "unlock" my decoder using the mDecoder tool and the decoder programmer 60971 so i could reprogram it to my liking?

Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 13 October 2023 16:22:13(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Sashmeister Go to Quoted Post
Any idea what CV i need to change to make my F14 -> F7 function for example?
Bad news: there is a table with about 40 rows and each row can handle each function key.
There are a few CVs for each rows.
There is a PDF on the Märklin site with more information.

A Central Station is the far easier way.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
bph
Offline patnaik  
#6 Posted : 14 October 2023 02:30:51(UTC)
patnaik

United States   
I have used JMRI to change function mapping on a mSD/3. Complicated, but doable.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by patnaik
bph
Offline Diesel2000  
#7 Posted : 31 October 2023 02:55:49(UTC)
Diesel2000

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

These decoders support DCC as i am able to change the volumes, or other CVs using my Multimaus DCC controller. Any idea what CV i need to change to make my F14 -> F7 function for example? Or can i somehow "unlock" my decoder using the mDecoder tool and the decoder programmer 60971 so i could reprogram it to my liking?

Factory decoders can’t be unlocked and trying to function map in DCC using the CV strings is very complicated. It IS possible to function map change factory decoders. The easiest way is to do it in the CS3: Loco Edit - Configuration - Mapping. The config GUI makes it easy to then change what outputs or sounds are triggered by which function key.

Edited by user 31 October 2023 15:40:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Diesel2000
Offline bph  
#8 Posted : 31 October 2023 11:25:49(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi guys, I have an issue. I ve been trying to use the mDecoder Tool3 to reprogram a couple of Marklin decoders that come factory installed on their new models. Unfortunately as we know, these are locked and the program returns an error massage "this is not a retrofit decoder". Is there a way to bypass this?

Originally Posted by: Diesel2000 Go to Quoted Post
Factory decoders can’t be unlocked and trying to function map in DCC using the CV strings is very complicated. It IS possible to function map change factory decoders. The easiest way is to do it in the CS3 - Configuration - Mapping. The config GUI makes it easy to then change what outputs or sounds are triggered by which function key.

You can reprogram newer factory decoders if the firmware is above 3.2.x.x, and Marklin has released the decoder project for that specific model. You will then need a CS3/(2?) connected to a PC, and you have to send the complete project from the PC through the CS3, to the locomotive on the programming track. This takes approx 45-50 minutes. Using a 60971 will not work. As long as you start with the specific decoder project you can change what you like, eg delete and sounds etc and change sound settings that you can not change using a cs3 alone. Usually, this works on mfx+ locomotives except for some very early ones with older decoders/firmware. On locomotives with firmware below 3.2.x.x but above 3.0.x.x, you can upgrade the firmware and make it work. but not on all. E.g it is not possible on the 39030 with firmware 3.0.0.17, because according to Mârklin the decoder is too old. Some early decoders have only a 32 MBit sound chip and you must make sure you don't exceed that limit, otherwise, the sound will be totally gibberish.
I have changed added and deleted sound files on several factory-fitted decoders without a problem. including changes to sound settings that can only be done this way. But even after a decoder is programmed in this way, it still shows up as locked if you try to use the 60971. so it's a way around the looking. not a removal of the lock.
Marklin Goppingen confirmed to me on the phone that this method of reprogramming factory-fitted decoders was not intentional, but also that they have no plan of fixing this "error". And in some cases, they provide a description to the consumer on how to do this.

Edited by user 31 October 2023 15:00:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 31 October 2023 13:20:15(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi guys,

I have an issue. I ve been trying to use the mDecoder Tool3 to reprogram a couple of Marklin decoders that come factory installed on their new models. Unfortunately as we know, these are locked and the program returns an error massage "this is not a retrofit decoder". Is there a way to bypass this? If not, how can i reprogram the function keys on the decoders (make F1 -> F2 for example)? I know i can use he Central Stations, but i dont own one. I run my trains with the Roco Z21 Multimaus system. Any ideas?

Sorry if this have been brought up before.

Hi
I have questionned Märklin Göppingen on this and I was confirmed that the factory-installed decoders cannot have their sound changed. They are locked and there in NO WAY to unlock them.
All the rest can be reprogrammed (mapping of fonctions, durations, motor characteristics, etc).
I suppose Märklin decision is not very wise but is guided to avoid programming failures and warranty additional costs to them.
Remember that unwise programming may lock definitly the decoder (it becomes unusable).

Example: I have a splendid 39241 SNCF 241 A 65 with miserable sound files, especially the whistle that sounds very "unfrench". If I want to change it, I need to buy an mSD3 decoder and then, I can program what I want

Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline marklinist5999  
#10 Posted : 31 October 2023 14:53:27(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I'm not surprised they'd tell you that Jean. They want to sell decoders to those who want more or different functions and sounds.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 31 October 2023 16:21:37(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
I'm not surprised they'd tell you that Jean. They want to sell decoders to those who want more or different functions and sounds.

Yes but this is stupid because I am not buying anymore mSD3 because they are outrageously expensive and I am pissed off.
How long will it take Märklin to understand that many of their competitors are allowing changes in programming.
Why not have a warning saying that if the decoder is reprogrammed the warranty does not apply to it any more?
Sooo many narrow-minded people in the world!
Cheers
Jean

Edited by user 31 October 2023 22:36:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline marklinist5999  
#12 Posted : 31 October 2023 20:55:55(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
If the decoder is shipped without sounds programmed, and requires a decoder tool to do it, that should not void the warranty! Nor should be if a dealer installed the sound files and you wish to change it later. It is what they are designed to do.
Offline rhfil  
#13 Posted : 31 October 2023 21:55:55(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I agree with JohnJean and have the same 39241 with its set of passenger cars. The normal route of the consist was Paris to Basel or French cities. But the announcements are in German. Would much prefer them to be in French. Someone needs to figure out how to unlock the Marklin decoders.