Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Timnomads  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2016 10:37:23(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi All

As promised the video of my Hump Yard.

Comments please

Tim
thanks 32 users liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline ozzman  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2016 11:07:43(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Hi Tim. Very good! Are you actuating the uncoupler "by eye" (ie when you think a coupling is in the right position), or are you using some form of detection?
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ozzman
Offline Timnomads  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2016 11:17:34(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: ozzman Go to Quoted Post
Hi Tim. Very good! Are you actuating the uncoupler "by eye" (ie when you think a coupling is in the right position), or are you using some form of detection?

Hi
I do it by eye
Tim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline biedmatt  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2016 11:22:27(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I would try the uncoupler on the "up" side. M couplers are designed to stay uncoupled while you push a wagen into place, so they will remain uncoupled unless you back up and then pull forward into the coupler. This might allow you to make the hump lower as now you are uncoupling at about 1/2 the hump height. Turn the set around on your hump and let them roll down the other side for a quick test.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 17 January 2016 13:41:45(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
I would try the uncoupler on the "up" side.

That also eased uncoupling as the slack is taken out of the couplers while cars are pushed uphill.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#6 Posted : 17 January 2016 14:20:53(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I like :
- The forum member panting when starting the exercise.
- The last sequence with the car-mounted camera documenting the last run up to the stub.
;o)

Now seriously: Well done.
;o)

Edited by user 17 January 2016 17:45:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Danlake  
#7 Posted : 17 January 2016 14:47:02(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Excellent video - thanks a lot!

This is now one of my favourite videos of the yearsThumpUp

Brgds Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline michelvr  
#8 Posted : 17 January 2016 16:04:45(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Tim all I can say is, "I want that!"

What a fantastic idea!

Elegantly made in it's simplicity and realistically portrayed in it's functionality!

I'll be the second to say after Danlake:

This is now one of my favourite videos of the years!

Michel

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 17 January 2016 18:03:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I would try the uncoupler on the "up" side. M couplers are designed to stay uncoupled while you push a wagen into place, so they will remain uncoupled unless you back up and then pull forward into the coupler. This might allow you to make the hump lower as now you are uncoupling at about 1/2 the hump height. Turn the set around on your hump and let them roll down the other side for a quick test.

I would agree with having the uncoupler on the 'up' side. There is another reason for doing this - the couplings, or at least the older Relex ones, were designed so the pin had a bit of a slope away from the adjacent car so it is more difficult for the loop to leap up and uncouple on rough track (this is illustrated in old catalogues from around the 60s). I don't know if this is still the case with the close couplings, but I suspect your wagons would not uncouple so nicely if you had a bunch of the HOBBY range wagons.

However they uncouple a lot easier if the couplings are not under tension, i.e. when the wagon is being pushed up the hump.

But excellent video illustrating the concept.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline petestra  
#10 Posted : 17 January 2016 18:50:43(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Super work, Tim. Bravo! I'd love to make one but alas no room. Cheers, Peter ThumpUp Smile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline lmedberry  
#11 Posted : 17 January 2016 19:34:34(UTC)
lmedberry

United States   
Tim,

Very very nice work! You have just the right amount of slope for the travel and speed of the wagons.

Nice space you have as well.

Lance
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by lmedberry
Offline Timnomads  
#12 Posted : 18 January 2016 09:16:10(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   

I tried that, knowing in theory marklin couplers stay uncoupled, but the problem is the speed, you have no control over the speed of the descent and it caused numerous very heavy collisions in the yard. In 1:1 scale they have reatarders or a break man to slow the wagon. So to try and preserve the wagons I went for multiple uncouplers on the downward slope.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline Timnomads  
#13 Posted : 26 May 2016 17:08:52(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi All

I have now been getting quite a bit more expierence with the coupling on the slope. I have found that the Marklin close couplers never have aproblem when uncoupling on a downward slope, others do. I have now changed all the couplers on the freight wagons to Marklin close couplers and it all works well although some of the Piko wagons have troubles on the corners and points when close coupled.
Tim
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline biedmatt  
#14 Posted : 26 May 2016 22:03:08(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: Timnomads Go to Quoted Post
Hi All

...although some of the Piko wagons have troubles on the corners and points when close coupled.
Tim

Maybe Roco couplers are the solution.

https://www.marklin-user...lose-couplers#post514398

Edit: Tom's blog explains it well. http://blog.mailez.de/eb...-couplers-for-h0-models/
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline ixldoc  
#15 Posted : 26 May 2016 23:56:26(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Tim,
Great display and video. The only problem is... how I can fit one into my layout!
Howard.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline dickinsonj  
#16 Posted : 30 May 2016 14:46:33(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Thanks for the great video. A working hump classification yard has been on my wish list for a long time.

Yours works very nicely and the video gives me new inspiration for eventually making one of my own.

Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Alsterstreek  
#17 Posted : 20 December 2016 20:07:46(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Had to think of you when I saw this video, a fast-forward view of operations at a Swiss hump yard with mountain view:

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline JohnjeanB  
#18 Posted : 28 October 2020 11:37:35(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   

Comments please

Hi Tim
This has been a lot of water under the bridge. Your Marshaling yard is very good and surely has progressed a lot.
I have a marshaling yard that is much smaller but I worked on an automatic detection of the couplings to activate the decoupler by an optical gate I made myself
Here is how it looks
BarriereOptique Light.png
A standard phototransistor is connected to the entry of an S88 and the zero (upside down T) and the Infra Red diode is near the rail.
The photo-transistor is mounted on a mast and a little tubing protects it from ambiant light
Here is a video of it

Cheers
Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Timnomads  
#19 Posted : 28 October 2020 12:50:33(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Comments please

Hi Tim
This has been a lot of water under the bridge. Your Marshaling yard is very good and surely has progressed a lot.
I have a marshaling yard that is much smaller but I worked on an automatic detection of the couplings to activate the decoupler by an optical gate I made myself
Here is how it looks
BarriereOptique Light.png
A standard phototransistor is connected to the entry of an S88 and the zero (upside down T) and the Infra Red diode is near the rail.
The photo-transistor is mounted on a mast and a little tubing protects it from ambiant light
Here is a video of it

Cheers
Jean

Hi Jean

That looks great, the trouble I had with only one uncoupling ramp, was to control the speed of the wagons. Different wagons move at different speeds depending on weight, number of wheels and complexity of points they have to pass. In reality computer controlled retarders control this, but as yet I can't find a way to do it at HO level apart from multiple uncoupling ramps. Any way its fun and gives more interest to the layout.

Tim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline JohnjeanB  
#20 Posted : 28 October 2020 13:02:04(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
That looks great, the trouble I had with only one uncoupling ramp, was to control the speed of the wagons.Different wagons move at different speeds depending on weight, number of wheels and complexity of points they have to pass.In reality computer controlled retarders control this, but as yet I can't find a way to do it at HO level apart from multiple uncoupling ramps.Any way its fun and gives more interest to the layout.

Tim

Hi Tim
Here are my findings
The variations in rolling qualities are certainly an issue. I did some cleaning of the bearings and sorted out some wagons with poor running qualities and also those too heavy (cranes, etc).
Concerning the incline and bumping speed:
- I installed the tracks on adjustable height spacers until rolling was uniform on each track
- foam cylinders where installed on the bumpers to avoid hard collision

Installing computer controlled retarders is attractive and feasible but with mechanical tooling. Speed measurement could be by optical gates.
Not for me because I don't have the mechanical tooling (Milling, Lathes,..) nor the space on my layout
Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB