Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 25 May 2016 02:15:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I wanted to extend my 43858/43927/43922 "Van Beethoven" Set which I was using to model the 1980s IC "Verdi" or "Tiziano", so I decided to ordered one of the new 43875 Bpmz 291 coaches. The model arrived today and the first thing that struck me is that Maerklin has once again managed to replicate the colour issues that plagued the earlier 4225 models. The original (43927) model has the correct blue/beige colours, but the new model has a very pasty looking beige that has a green/bluish tingeBlink Confused .

How difficult would it be to compare a test for the new production with a sample model from the earlier version so that the models would have the same colours?
It would take two minutes to get it right and avoid frustrating the customersCursing Mad

The model will be going back to the shop. I guess that I will take something else instead. I will have to see what they have in stock (Maerklin and otherwise).

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 25 May 2016 07:23:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 25 May 2016 08:24:41(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
How difficult would it be to compare a test for the new production with a sample model from the earlier version so that the models would have the same colours?
How much variation was there with the old Beethoven train?

Maybe they changed the production process: make everything blue and cover the top with beige vs. making everything beige and covering the bottom with blue.

The Beethoven was most likely made in China - so maybe different machines, methods, paints were used in the production.

How much variation was there in real life?

I have the CFL double-stock train and the add-on coaches have a different red than the original set.
Just another brick in the wall around my wallet.
Märklin quality has flown across the ocean, leaving just a memory ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#3 Posted : 25 May 2016 09:41:26(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   

It would take two minutes to get it right and avoid frustrating the customersCursing Mad

Mike C

In time warp may beBigGrin Still, I doubt they care about what they produce. It may also be the case that the people making were not even aware there was an earlier production they were meant to match.
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 25 May 2016 12:48:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
This is nothing new.

I have a 3071 set from way back with a 4071 coach that has a totally different shade of red.

I also have older thunderbox coaches in a green which is totally different to recent ones, and older blue electric locos in a different blue to newer ones.

If you want your train to be consistent in colour you might have to buy it all together at the same time.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline biedmatt  
#5 Posted : 25 May 2016 13:26:23(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
If you want your train to be consistent in colour you might have to buy it all together at the same time.

It would be great if they did release them all together. These four coaches were released across a 12 month period without an opportunity to buy them at the same time.

https://www.marklin-user...e-or-three-martini-lunch
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 25 May 2016 13:50:19(UTC)
H0

This is nothing new.
I have a 3071 set from way back with a 4071 coach that has a totally different shade of red.
That's a different matter: Märklin used a much brighter red for TEE trains in the past, but then switched to the correct red.
Theoretically there are older items with a matching bright red and newer items with a matching dark red.
Practically there probably is some variation in the "bright red era" and some variation in the "dark red era".

I also have older thunderbox coaches in a green which is totally different to recent ones, and older blue electric locos in a different blue to newer ones.
DB used two different shades of green and two different shades of blue over time. So these differences may make sense and for a passenger train from the transition period it will be nice and prototypically correct to see two different shades of green.
I don't know whether Märklin used brighter green and blue in the past.

The cream colour this thread is about was always "ivory" for the coaches in ocean blue, but it was beige for earlier TEE coaches. So different shades can also be prototypically correct for rolling stock of different eras.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline nitramretep  
#7 Posted : 25 May 2016 19:56:39(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
Who knew?
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 26 May 2016 09:06:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Based on the photos in the various brochures and catalogs and used by most online retailers, the coach looked to be matching with the coaches from the older set. I don't know whether it is simply because Maerklin used a thinner paint or other cause. I can confirm that both coaches were moulded in blue plastic and the beige was painted over it.
I guess that they use the colour which has the largest surface as the base and paint the other colours over it. Technically, it would look better if the model had the darker colour painted over the lighter one.

This is not a new issue. We have already seen the same problem with productions of the 4225 Bpmz (1/100) and probably with some other models too.

It just frustrates me that the companies keep asking for more and more money while moving the production to countries that cost less and less and cutting corners during production to save even more money and the end model is not worth the money that they expect me to pay for it.

A simple oversight, like omitting to paint the white stripe along the entire length of the coach body (ends) on a orange Eurofima coach is something that I can live with. Having a coach that does not match the ones that it is intended to go with and does not appear like something that can be explained as weathering or natural differences in colour is reason for the item to go back.

There is no room in my budget for items that are not rendered with care. I would much rather use my money to buy another model that meets my expectations.
If you (the industry) wants my money, you had better deliver a model that corresponds to what you advertise and fits with your existing product line.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 26 May 2016 09:23:52(UTC)
H0

Based on the photos in the various brochures and catalogs and used by most online retailers, the coach looked to be matching with the coaches from the older set.
The famous "handmade sample" - a coach from the old production run with decals.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage