Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 24 May 2016 14:31:41(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi everyone,
I'm using C track on my layout and automation control with TrainContoller. As you may be aware, I need to "cut" the C track underneath so as to isolate the rails - this way I can secure contacts on one rail and the power return on the other rail. I've been doing this for a few years now without any problems - until now.

This problem only occurs with 24230 curves and no other pieces of track. when I connect 2 pieces of 24230 together the outside rails lose conductivity as if there is some isolation at the join of the 2 outer rails. I've tested the individual piece of track for conductivity and they all seem to be ok.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening. Again, I stress this is only happening to the 24230 pieces. Confused Confused Confused Confused

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 24 May 2016 17:01:24(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Maybe something missing or not connected.

There should be a metal crimp that connects the rail with the "underworld". The contact lids to the next track could be missing or be disconnected.

Carefully compare those 24230s with 24130 or 24330 and look for any deviations.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Drongo  
#3 Posted : 25 May 2016 12:25:31(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thanks Tom for the advice. I've had a close look and everything seems to be ok. It's very strange that it only happens with 24230's and no other piece of track, and also it's only the outer rail and never the inner rail. To temporarily overcome the problem I have wedged a small pice of wire where the pieces join together, but this is not a good solution.

Regards
Greg
Offline Drongo  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2016 12:51:11(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Today I think I have resolved the problem, however, further testing is required to be really sure.

The small prongs that connect into the adjacent piece of track, is not quite wide enough to touch the female section of the the adjacent track, and this is possibly is the cause of not getting a correct connection. I simply widened the prong and the electrical continuity was there. The amount of movement is only very slight - about 1 mm, and I think this is probably a fault in production, however, if one uses the track in normal operation, then you wouldn't know about the problem. Perhaps Marklin could examine their production and carry out this test.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline Drongo  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2016 14:16:48(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Today I think I have resolved the problem, however, further testing is required to be really sure.

The small prongs that connect into the adjacent piece of track, is not quite wide enough to touch the female section of the the adjacent track, and this is possibly is the cause of not getting a correct connection. I simply widened the prong and the electrical continuity was there. The amount of movement is only very slight - about 1 mm, and I think this is probably a fault in production, however, if one uses the track in normal operation, then you wouldn't know about the problem. Perhaps Marklin could examine their production and carry out this test.

Yes I can confirm that this is the solution to the problem. So the manufacturing of the 24230's needs to be examined. I realise that this problem will only occur if you are isolating the tracks for the use of installing contacts for s88's, otherwise there is no problem as the 2 rails are electrically connected. It's just annoying that I now have to check every track to make sure that there is continuity on the rails.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline Danlake  
#6 Posted : 23 June 2016 15:33:52(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Greg,

Very interesting observation. I will have to do some test with my tracks as well. Most admit I never checked the other rail, only the isolated one.

What year did you buy the tracks?

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Drongo  
#7 Posted : 25 June 2016 14:17:10(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Hi Greg,

Very interesting observation. I will have to do some test with my tracks as well. Most admit I never checked the other rail, only the isolated one.

What year did you buy the tracks?

Brgds Lasse

I bought the tracks very recently from a German retailer online, so I would assume it would be reasonably "fresh" stock.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo