Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Token  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2016 06:54:36(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Hi All,

yet again I have been disappointed by M's lack of ability to provide clear and concise instructions in English!

I purchased the decoder programmer and adapter 60971 together with downloading the MSD Decoder Tool3 software, foolishly thinking that one of them would provide some sort of manual "How to...".

The only document in the 60971 box (aside from the Warranty) was the instructions that merely tells you how to connect the adapter and a seperate document telling you how to download a driver if your Windows does not automatically pick it up.

No mention on how to use the thing!

Looking at the programme, no PDF instruction manual with the file. Help menu only tells you the version (about) and an update option.

How are we supposed to know how to use the thing???!!!

I have managed to work my way around the programme a little but all I have managed to do (it seems) is erase the data on my 60976 and no matter howmany times I try to get the programme to 'write' to the decoder, it says it has completed but - nothing!

Now the decoder has successfully been erased, I cannot even get my CS2 to recognise it.

It's no wonder I repeatedly hear I should have gone to ESU.

I am hoping I have missed something obvious on a website somewhere but am desperate for help.

Regards,

Michael.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Token
Offline siroljuk  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2016 07:41:24(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello,
Try This post, perhaps you can find some help there:
https://www.marklin-user...t34667-Decodertool-mDT-3

Happy Training
Regards

Jukka
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline Token  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2016 07:58:29(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Much appreciated Jukka - I'll give it a go!

Regards,

Michael.
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 18 March 2016 08:09:13(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Do you have the latest version of the mDT/3 software.?
The original version exhibited symptoms similar to what you describe.

The software still has some blatantly obvious bugs
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Token  
#5 Posted : 18 March 2016 08:20:31(UTC)
Token

Australia   
I thought I did (having selected update in the help menu) but from what you say, I will try reinstalling it.

Cheers,

Michael.
Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 18 March 2016 08:25:21(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Token Go to Quoted Post
...having selected update in the help menu....

That is for updating the sound libray, it wont do the mDT/3 itself.

Current version is 3.1.1
http://www.maerklin.de/d...er-updates/mdecodertool/

Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline MaerklinLife  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2016 19:50:25(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Is it me or does the Märklin website only allow you to download the old Decoder Tool? Perhaps it is my lack of web-browsing skills, but I can't find the new version...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
H0
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 30 March 2016 19:56:45(UTC)
H0

Today I can't find it either.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 31 March 2016 14:22:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
They ar eupdating the website for April Fools Day (tomorrow, as I answer this) ???

Laugh Laugh Laugh
Offline clapcott  
#10 Posted : 31 March 2016 20:21:12(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Try now, new directory structure ...

http://www.maerklin.de/d...3msd3/mdecodertool-mdt3/
Peter
Offline Token  
#11 Posted : 02 April 2016 04:38:44(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Can anyone explain the differences between the options on the 'select a new decoder' menu?

New Project Menu.jpg

Does the first option allow you to programme earlier versions of mSD?

Regards,

Michael.
Offline Token  
#12 Posted : 03 April 2016 09:35:46(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Anybody?
Offline graafjp  
#13 Posted : 03 April 2016 20:48:46(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Hi Michael,

I did successfully program a mSD decoder (NOT MSD3) with the tool using the first option.
But I had to take some undocumented steps.

First create a project and save it with the MDT3 tool.
This wil give an .mdtp file.

Unzip this file (if necessary rename (a copy) to .zip).

This will give you a directory with the necessary files.

Put this directory on a USB stick in the \cs2\sounds directory.

Then you can update an mSD decoder by downloading the sound files on your CS2.

When trying to program the mSD decoder via the MDT3 tool via the connected CS2 I always get a file-crc-error.
Regards,
Jos
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by graafjp
Offline Webmaster  
#14 Posted : 03 April 2016 20:55:34(UTC)
Webmaster

I thought I would get the mDT/3 USB hardware from a local shop some days ago, but it was not in stock so I am now instead waiting for it from Germany.

From what I understand, the option without "3rd generation" should be for mSD decoders of the 6094x kind (mSD) while the other options are for the 6097x/6098x kind (like mSD/3).
Since the 60971 USB hardware has 2 kinds of decoder interfaces, I suppose the other 2 options are to be used with either the MTC board type of decoders or with the cabled 8-pin NEM type.

I would be interested to see what's under the mLD tab too, since I mainly will do conversions without sound...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline graafjp  
#15 Posted : 03 April 2016 21:09:47(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
I thought I would get the mDT/3 USB hardware from a local shop some days ago, but it was not in stock so I am now instead waiting for it from Germany.

From what I understand, the option without "3rd generation" should be for mSD decoders of the 6094x kind (mSD) while the other options are for the 6097x kind (like mSD/3).
Since the 60971 USB hardware has 2 kinds of decoder interfaces, I suppose the other 2 options are to be used with either the MTC board type of decoders or with the cabled 8-pin NEM type.

I would be interested to see what's under the mLD tab too, since I mainly will do conversions without sound...

Juhan,

Options for the mLD decoder are the same:

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 21.06.53.png

Regards,
Jos
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by graafjp
Offline Webmaster  
#16 Posted : 03 April 2016 22:06:55(UTC)
Webmaster

The dealer I visited told me that there was a "quirk" with programming the mSD/3 decoders directly with the 60971 USB hardware.
He said that when you have made your stuff, you write it to the decoder and think that you are done. But after a while, the software
pops up a question asking you to confirm if you wish to program the sounds too... Ie programming is written in 2 steps, first the
decoder functional parameters and then the sounds as a separate programming step.

Note - I don't have this piece yet, so everything is hearsay...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline graafjp  
#17 Posted : 03 April 2016 22:52:27(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
When using the 3.1.1 version you get a window asking if you want to program:
- Program Settings
- Program Sound

When you select both and click yes, programming is executing the two steps automatically without any pop-up for programming the sound.
Regards,
Jos
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by graafjp
Offline clapcott  
#18 Posted : 03 April 2016 23:12:32(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Re: mDT/3 (Decoder Tool software) not mDP (60971 Decoder Programmer)

Originally Posted by: graafjp Go to Quoted Post
Then you can update an mSD decoder by downloading the sound files on your CS2.

These are two distinct steps
1) Downloading to the USB stick that is connected and recognised by the CS2
2) Then from the CS2 you may update the decoder with these files

Quote:
When trying to program the mSD decoder via the MDT3 tool via the connected CS2 I always get a file-crc-error.

At which step (1 or 2) do you get the error?
I seem to recall mention that a couple of the files provided on the Marklin web site were corrupt.
Have you tried a different file?

Have you ..
1) Are you using the latest software
2) plugged in a USB memory device to your CS2
3) does it have enough capacity
4) Is the USB device "good" - these do fail over time

p.s.
I seem to recall mention that a couple of the files provided on the Marklin web site were corrupt.
Have you tried a different file?

Once the files are downloaded (step 1) to the CS2/USB they are visible ...
- http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/config/update/fds/
- http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/config/update/snd/
In fact I suggest that you can see these directories before you try the download. You may find the CS2 needs a "kick start" to recognise the USB device
(maybe even a reboot with the USB installed first)

The downloaded files are given a "DT_" prefix by the mDT/3 tool/
They are in pairs, with a companion .HTML for records.
The .HTML file is "nice" but suspect in the area where it says "for decoders 609...."
Peter
Offline clapcott  
#19 Posted : 03 April 2016 23:17:58(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Anybody?

Until Marklin provide some stability and consistency, we are all in the same boat of ignorance and unpredictability.

Anything you read here needs to be verified by yourself and cannot be taken as gospel because the comments are usually based on certain scenarios that may or may not be comprehensive in their observations. Its the "don't know that you don't know" problem, and part of that is not knowing what the actual objective is.

Part of the fun is trying things out ;-)

Peter
Offline clapcott  
#20 Posted : 03 April 2016 23:26:51(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Can anyone explain the differences between the options on the 'select a new decoder' menu?

Certainly not 100%.

At first look I would have expected that, give the 6097x/6098x distinction, there should have also been a 6094x/6096x distinction.
But then again, I would have thought that choosing a particular option (e.g. 6098x) would have filtered out those aspects it could not do (i.e. Aux output 3 and 4)

The description (.html) files just lump things together anyway.

Peter
Offline Token  
#21 Posted : 04 April 2016 10:01:11(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Thanks Peter and all for your replies.

I can say that reinstalling the software (link in Peter's first response) worked a treat and I have had some success in reprogramming the 60976 decoder, both through the tool (preferred method) as well as from PC to CS2 to decoder (unbelievably slow - would not recommend it!).

It is interesting that instead of rewriting the information to the decoder which has changed, the programme rewrites every piece of information - all 9000 'blocks'as represented on the CS2 when downloading to the locomotive. The only benefit to downloading via CS2 is that you need not remove the decoder from the locomotive - something I am always reticent about when dealing with small circuit boards.

Peter is also correct regarding the quality of USB memory stick you use - I had this experience before (noted in another post) where the stick simply could not be read by the CS2 so if you have no success with a particular stick, try another. I do not know why - possibly has to do with the formatting?

As discussed above, I will also try to play with earlier mSD decoders to see how well (if at all) earlier decoders can be reprommed via software and update you all as I go.

One thing I have not been able to resolve so far is trying to update the 60976 decoder with 'bremsen' or breaking sound. When I try to attach this sound to a sound 'key', the curser reflects a symbol indicating it cannot be attached. Not sure why;

Sound Menu.jpg

If anyone has any experience with this?

Again, we are left to work all of this out ourselves because someone cannot write an instruction manual Cursing Cursing Cursing !

Regards,

Michael.
Offline graafjp  
#22 Posted : 04 April 2016 22:53:36(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Peter,

My 60214 has 4.0.1 (3) firmware.
Today I tried to program an mSD again via the MDT3 tool
File upload to the CS2 does work. (I can see them in the directories you indicated).
When trying to flash the mSD decoder I now get an error, Programming failed. Timeout during reading of the CV values.
This is a new mSD config file build from scratch with the MDT3 tool, I am not using a Märklin provided file.

That's why I transfer the directory/files first to a USB stick on my computer (after unzipping).
Then I plug the USB stick in the CS2 and start it up.
Now programming works as "usual" for the mSD decoder.

Note:
Programming an mSD3 via the MDT3 tool directly to the CS2 works ok. (as already said this takes a long time).

As I still have a number of mSD decoders I like to program them with the MDT3 tool which is much easier to work with than the older MDT tool.
But apparently MDT3 is not (yet?) fully compatible in programming mSD decoders directly to the CS2.
Regards,
Jos
Offline graafjp  
#23 Posted : 04 April 2016 22:58:29(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   

One thing I have not been able to resolve so far is trying to update the 60976 decoder with 'bremsen' or breaking sound. When I try to attach this sound to a sound 'key', the curser reflects a symbol indicating it cannot be attached. Not sure why;

If anyone has any experience with this?

Again, we are left to work all of this out ourselves because someone cannot write an instruction manual Cursing Cursing Cursing !

Regards,

Michael.

Michael,

When adding a new sound select "Sound without output" from the drop down list, then you can add a breaking sound into the sound slot.
Regards,
Jos
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by graafjp
Offline Token  
#24 Posted : 09 April 2016 06:47:31(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Hi Jos,

thanks for the advice. I did as you suggested and it appeared to work insofar as being able to move the selected sound across as per attached

Sound Menu2.jpg

but when I try to associate the sound with the function, the functions menu does not show the option to add 'sound without output'. Have I missed a step here?

Functions Menu.jpg

Regards,

Michael.
Offline graafjp  
#25 Posted : 09 April 2016 10:36:20(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Hi Michael,

The braking sound is automatically on as far as I know.
You can add a function button to turn if off:

Select "Bremsenquietschen Aus (Brake squealing off) under the logical functions for the button you assigned it to:
Click on the + sign behind Logical Functions and select this entry from the drop down list.

Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 10.31.10.png
Regards,
Jos
Offline BrandonVA  
#26 Posted : 11 April 2016 22:15:59(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Just a hint, in the tool you can go File->Load Project Files from Marklin Server. You can download a few of their projects, which essentially just show up in the .mdtp format. You can open these and take a look at how they are configured to reverse engineer how to program your own. At first I was perplexed with the way you have to add sounds to the project, and then map them to the functions. However, after creating a couple of projects with the tool, it becomes more natural, and I think a little faster (at least for me) than using the CS2 to do it all.

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline craigshaw  
#27 Posted : 03 May 2016 08:13:14(UTC)
craigshaw

Australia   
This 60971 is a real dog. Apart from, as reported, bugger all English, it doesn't seem to work anyway. The latest software is 3.2.0 on Marklins site, but the English has gone backwards.

I asked my friend in Germany who knows this stuff backwards (he has 500 models and was a marklin dealer),

the 3 options (6 actually) are the top old mld decoder (programs on CS2 only), the middle option is the mld3 (msd3) with the 8 pin nem flying leads, the bottom is the 21 pin connected decoders.

Although the programmer is recognised on windows 8 it did not program my brothers sound decoder, couldn't see it. Now I have to check that he didn't have an older msd decoder, because the programmer cant program them. I have some mld3 decoders, so maybe those work.

My German friend was going to have a look at the documentation (he is in contact with Marklin engineers) and says if he has too he will translate the german to English, send it to me for checking, then give it to Marklin to publish. Given their software guys cant write a decent program that configures itself for ALL English , rather than some English and lots of german, the manual will need a translator anyway to tell what the german words mean.

This is a very poor effort on marklins behalf, but my friend who comes from Schwabia, jokingly said "its the Schwabian way, never quite gets it right".
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by craigshaw
Offline Token  
#28 Posted : 03 May 2016 09:56:22(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Thanks Craig LOL - let us know when you have the translation.

Cheers,

Michael.
Offline clapcott  
#29 Posted : 03 May 2016 11:47:58(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: craigshaw Go to Quoted Post
This 60971 is a real dog. Apart from, as reported, bugger all English, it doesn't seem to work anyway.

I think you need to qualify what you mean by "doesn't work"
My 60971 is certainly capable of working. Is yours faulty ?

By The Way The 60971 is the mDP/3 (Decoder Programer) the mDT/3 (Decoder Tool) is standalone software.
While the mDP/3 does need the mDT/3 software, the mDT/3 software does not need the mDP/3 - it can work with the CS2

Peter
H0
Offline craigshaw  
#30 Posted : 04 May 2016 03:27:47(UTC)
craigshaw

Australia   
Peter,

The software installs with no problem. Inserting the programmer registers the programmer com port in windows (com3 in my case). Looking at the tool it sees the 60971 programmer has a com port assigned. Attaching a 21 pin mfx decoder to the programmer does not allow me to read the decoder inserted. Using the dropdown (Decoder) to look at the decoder the options are greyed out. Seems the program does not know that a decoder is connected to the programmer. The icon for the 60971 in the software never highlights the greyed out download icon. However, the other programmer icon (don't know what it is) has the arrow icon activated, but of course doesn't exist and therefore does not work. Hope that is a better description. The OS I'm using is windows 8. Tried 3.1.1 and 3.2.0 versions of the tool.

Craig
Offline craigshaw  
#31 Posted : 04 May 2016 09:01:27(UTC)
craigshaw

Australia   
Peter,

I have now tried the programmer using V3.2.0 on windows 7 with the drivers downloaded from the Microsoft search. The 21 pin sound board only ever highlights the middle programmer in the program but doesn't work because there is no driver. I then tried an mLD3 on the programmer. The USB port came alive and I can read and "presumably write" to the decoder. So the program see's a non sound decoder but cannot see a sound decoder. The wiring to the programmer for both types of decoder is the same, the 21 pin goes to the screw connector pins. So the sound decoder doesn't work, I'm guessing. Will now try a wired sound decoder and see if that works. If it does the 21pin decoder must be defective.

Craig Shaw