Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline TwotterDriver  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2016 00:56:00(UTC)
TwotterDriver

Canada   
My father had an elaborate digital setup. He passed away in 2001 and my mother carefully took it apart and stored it in the house. I wanted to put up a simple oval for the sake of his great grandchildren during this past Christmas. I carefully studied the setup instruction and used the digital setup with transformer and control unit. I made sure I connected it to the 2290 track. My father had recorded all the digital address numbers so with his 20 locomotives, I knew exactly what codes to use. All the appropriate lights light up on the control unit. I'm using only his steam and diesel locomotives, avoiding catenary problems. I even hear a faint sound when I invoke certain controls yet the locomotives stay still. Not even a light on their lamps lights up. What could the issue be? Do I have to open them up and assign new codes? Does storing them cause problems? I am a newbie to this but I have been assured by other sources that the basic assembly is correct. Any thoughts out there?
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2016 02:08:19(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
fancy naming you Twotter but anyhow welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your touching story. storage can mess up your locos, either rust or the motor with year long grease and dirt has ceased up. I would recommend you open them all up and clean the motor. there are certain procedures how to do it and the best way to help you this is of course if you need help how to maintain locos to send a few pictures or one at the time and we can go through with it hwo to dismantle the loco(s).

you may also show as a few pictures of your new or re-established layout. to show or download photos, just follow the instructions and make sure your pictures aren't too large so we can see them on the screen instead of downloading it again. if you unfamiliar with downloading pictures, go to search and type in downloading pictures or again seek help from us if you have difficulties doing so.

It is nice to hear your mother kept it stored, as most wife's would be happy to see the back of it (including mine) and usually ask some family member to sell it. so it must have been a double Christmas present for you and the children (Hurray), I'm glad you've resurrected the hobby your father started and especially for the grandchildren which by the time they grow older will know all the tricks of the trade how to operate them.

going back to the locos, I would strongly recommend not to use the locos until they are fixed (sorry mate) otherwise you could ruin the motor or decoder.

Until the next time, have fun

you will find some of your questions are not answered because the rest of the world is asleep.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2016 02:38:06(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
First things first, is your controller a 6021? What transformer are you using? Is it the 6002?
Make sure that the wires are connected from the yellow and brown connectors on the transformer to the matching connectors on the 6021.
Then connect the cables from the brown and red terminals on the 6021 to the track. The brown cable should go to the connector on the track that is connected to the outer rails and the red to the terminal that is connected to the centre rail.

To test the equipment, instead of setting up a circle, I would first try to set up a straight length of about 4 to 6 tracks in length.
Choose one locomotive to test. Place that locomotive on the test track.
I will then ask you to reset the controller by pressing on the stop and go buttons until the display flashes.
Normally, all locomotives will now have their lights on, but will not move.
Press stop once again.
Press "go" and enter the digits for that locomotive's address
If the lights were on after the reset, they will now go off.
Press "function" and the lights should go on again.
When you turn the speed dial, the locomotive should respond.
If it works, you can then perform the test with other locomotives.

It has occurred on my test track that if the locomotive was a few lengths away from the contact track, there was a weak connection in the tracks and pressing the tracks together completed the contact and the locomotive then worked. With K Track, you have to make sure that the little tabs underneath the track are connected so that the centre rail power is passed from track to track. If one of the little tabs is broken or bent, it can cause a short or dead section.

If you want an other alternative for testing, set up a long length of straight track on the floor. Plug the brown and yellow wires from the transformer directly to the track.
Place locomotive at middle of track length. Plug the transformer into a wall plug. The locomotive should roll at top speed. Unplug transformer so that locomotive stops before it reaches the end of the track.
If the locomotive moves, it works in analog mode.

The electric locomotives can be used without the catenary, so don't worry about using them. The function will be the same as the diesel and steam ones.

There is a very good Maerklin shop located near you in Langley, Eurorailhobbies. You can ask Mr Menzel for assistance and he would be a good source for any parts or new models you might need.
www.eurorailhobbies.com
If you contact Mr. Menzel, I am sure that he can test your locomotives for you and I am sure that he will be happy at the possibility of gaining a new customer.
You may want to pick up a classic analog transformer (6646) as back up. It can also be used to power lights and accessories on a layout and for analog test or backup power supply purposes.

If I can be of assistance, you can send me a PM and I will try to assist.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline PMPeter  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2016 04:22:02(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: TwotterDriver Go to Quoted Post
My father had an elaborate digital setup. He passed away in 2001 and my mother carefully took it apart and stored it in the house. I wanted to put up a simple oval for the sake of his great grandchildren during this past Christmas. I carefully studied the setup instruction and used the digital setup with transformer and control unit. I made sure I connected it to the 2290 track. My father had recorded all the digital address numbers so with his 20 locomotives, I knew exactly what codes to use. All the appropriate lights light up on the control unit. I'm using only his steam and diesel locomotives, avoiding catenary problems. I even hear a faint sound when I invoke certain controls yet the locomotives stay still. Not even a light on their lamps lights up. What could the issue be? Do I have to open them up and assign new codes? Does storing them cause problems? I am a newbie to this but I have been assured by other sources that the basic assembly is correct. Any thoughts out there?

If you have no luck following Mike's suggestions send me a PM with your phone number and I'll try to help. I'm only 20 minutes away in Port Moody.

Cheers
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2016 05:21:56(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post

If you have no luck following Mike's suggestions send me a PM with your phone number and I'll try to help. I'm only 20 minutes away in Port Moody.

Cheers
Peter

Peter, is this when you are in a good mood ? (20 minutes away)BigGrin don't you have snow this time of the year ?

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline PMPeter  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2016 15:52:20(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post

Cheers
Peter

Peter, is this when you are in a good mood ? (20 minutes away)BigGrin don't you have snow this time of the year ?

John

Snow in the Vancouver area? Only on the mountains. I haven't had to take my snow shovel off of the wall for 2 years now.

I'm always in a good mood unless something annoys me! Mellow BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter