Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2015 14:24:04(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Me enjoying a rather comfortable office job,i am used commuting by electric tramway to the office 5 days a week back and forth.
I am using line 25 of the RET (=Rotterdamse Electrische Tram) from Barendrecht Carnisselande,just south of Rotterdam to station Leuvehaven which is just on the northside of the river Maas in Rotterdam,from there it is a 10 minutes walk to the office,no sweat.
Whilst my wife and i have both a small car,it is no fun going into town by car simply because parking at a decent price is impossible!
The trip is rather comfortable,in the morning there is a seat and in the evening there is a seat halfway,fine with me.
The gauge is European standard gauge.
The latest series of these modern trams have airco and soft fabric seats,rather nice,especially in summer with a lot of people on board.
The trip starts where i get in,at 12.35 it passes my place of birth (in universe everything returns to its origin eventually it seems),at 23.10 i get out at Leuvehaven,at 29.25 it passes the new Rotterdam Central station (nicknamed Sack of French fries).
The fare is paid by means of a sort of electronic card which you hold against a scanner when you come in and get out.
A conductor checks your card once every single trip at some stage,people travelling without valid ticket is almost zero this way.

The clip makes clear that the driver needs to be alert all the time,whereas per Dutch law a tram has right of way except for fire/ambulance/police services in alarm mode,it is obvious that people in cars and on pushbikes take a lot of freedom,and risks.

You may wish to share your daily travels on the forum also.....

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline petestra  
#2 Posted : 25 October 2015 15:02:37(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Paul. Thanks for posting. I've watched 15 minutes and I put the rest on the watch later list. Very nice ride. I love all the green and the first part

with the hedges on both sides of the tracks. Cheers,PeterThumpUp Smile

PS - Sorry no longer a commute for me, I'm retired. My only commute is downstairs to my Märklin room.Woot
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline NS1200  
#3 Posted : 25 October 2015 15:39:37(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Peter,in 7 years time (age 67) i am allowed to retire also,at which time i can devote some of my time to Marklin,if the spouse allows me.

Cheers,
Paul.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline GlennM  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2015 12:59:42(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Paul,

Great video thanks for posting. I love the integrated tram systems that they have in Europe something which sadly is lacking in the UK, owing to the wise forward planning of our planners in the 50's and 60's.

When I was working on Leuna 2000 Refinery in Germany in the 90's there was a very comprehensive local tram system that connected the local towns, and I remember a favorite of mine was to travel from Merseburg to Halle on the tram, which went through a lovely area of greenery and the tram actually followed the dual lane highway, but you were out in the countryside and the tram rattled along as the people sat in their cars in traffic jams, a truly great way to travel.

I would love to share my journey to work but I am afraid the 10 metre walk to my home office (I work from home) is not exciting at all, you might however enjoy the early morning dog walk a little more BigGrin

All the best

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2015 14:26:21(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I live a very pleasant 15 minute walk from work. If I need to drive it takes me 20 minutes because of the traffic! BigGrin

My walk takes me through the historical botanical gardens

http://gibraltargardens.gi/

https://en.wikipedia.org...ibraltar_Botanic_Gardens

It's very relaxing after work to stroll back home through lush gardens full of exotic plants, especially when the weather is fine.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline NS1200  
#6 Posted : 09 November 2015 20:29:12(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Should add that the type of tram is the Ahlstom Citadis.
A total of 113 are in operation in the greater Rotterdam area.
The first batch of 60 will get airco in the first half of 2016.
The second batch of 53 were delivered with airco installed.
Maximum service speed is 70 km/h.
Voltage 600 volts DC.