Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline siroljuk  
#1 Posted : 10 September 2015 17:05:55(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello everyone!

During last two moth I have been quite busy studying small computers like Raspberry pi2, Arduino and LEGO-EV3. They all are LINUX based computers just like Märklin CS2.
My main target is to get to know how small LINUX computers works and how to connect different devices to them. I have several types of shields for Arduino and Raspberry and now I know how to use them.BigGrin
I also studied Märklin CAN-bus and itś command-structure. My target there was to understand how to steer Märklin trains and other devices. I have red and tested RAILuino and DesktopStation and all stuff there. REALLY INTERESTING WORLD.

Why I have studied those?

Well . . . I would like to add some sophisticated features to my testing layout, which Märklin cannot provide at the moment. I am sure that in future there will be all features that I like but if I´m right they will cost quite lots of money.
RFID-identification, or whatever identification for trains. I have dreamed of layout where I could steer and command individual train on the basis of where the train is moving at any given time. There should be possibilities to run several trains at the same time and do maneuvers depending where and to which direction active trains are going.

I know that you say now: " Buy WinDigipet or something like that, all ready done!"
Yes but . . . I like to do things myself. I have time, and now I have devices also, even though I am retired and age of 65, my brains are functioning still.

Few questions I have now: Have anybody ever tried to log in to Märklin CS2 as a LINUX user? Using lets say PUTTY, or similar software using Etehernet connection or USB-connection.
What kind of experiments you have? Did you managed to get in? Did you find out what is the USERNAME and PASSWORD.

Anyways, we wait for CS3 and hope that it would provide new features and better ways to automate routes and steer trains.

During we wait, just Happy Training to all of you.

Regards

Jukka
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 10 September 2015 19:11:31(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post

Few questions I have now: Have anybody ever tried to log in to Märklin CS2 as a LINUX user? Using lets say PUTTY, or similar software using Etehernet connection or USB-connection.
What kind of experiments you have? Did you managed to get in? Did you find out what is the USERNAME and PASSWORD.

Jukka

The very original release of the CS1 had a telnet port open, and people logged in to have a prowl around, but the very first software update (and you had to return the CS1 to Marklin to get it) had the telnet locked down so you required a username and password.

The CS2 has always been locked down the same AFAIK, and has never been an open port. All software updates are done using downloads through a web page or directly by connecting the CS2 to the web, at which point it goes and queries a secret Marklin page to get the download direct.

For your project you may like to help the JMRI community connect to the CS2. They have a limited connection capability to the CS1/EcOS, but no-one has really progressed the CS2 connection that I am aware of.

JMRI is an open source program written in Java and so can run on almost any system, and has capabilities very similar to Railroad & Co.

JMRI runs satisfactorily on a Raspberry Pi Model 2, the original one is just a bit too slow for nice response times.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Hackcell  
#3 Posted : 10 September 2015 19:38:28(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   

You can connect via putty, and it has a root username, the problem is the password, which I think nobody outside Marklin tech dept knows.

Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline sjlauritsen  
#4 Posted : 10 September 2015 21:43:36(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   

What exactly is it that you want to do, that you cannot just do by implementing the CAN specification (get it from the Märklin website, or CS2 itself) and send or receive the information over Ethernet?

I have created a small C# console program that listens on the network and can send system start, and system stop commands to the CS2. It also interprets the model time and shows the clock on a screen. My program is amazingly poor on features at the moment, but the potential for doing amazing stuff surely is there. My plan was to use a Pi 2 to render a clock and put it on a large screen display for operating sessions. I also imagine an app for a smart watch that could show the model clock. How cool is that, having the model clock on your wrist. Smile
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline siroljuk  
#5 Posted : 11 September 2015 10:07:02(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello,

I have download Märklin Can-specifications, unfortunately available documents are in German language. It is very difficult to understand translations by Google.
You asked:
"What exactly is it that you want to do, that you cannot just do by implementing the CAN specification (get it from the Märklin website, or CS2 itself) and send or receive the information over Ethernet?"

At the beginning of my studies my question was: Is there any possibilities to put on and off memory sequence to act via S88 during the running sequence OTHER THAN TO CKliCK ON THE CS2 SCREEN. Now I know that using CAN-bus you cannot toggle this feature, you have to use stylus stick and toggle via touch-screen.
CAN-bus is quite easy to use. Of course you need some devices and some skills that you can read and write programs, but it takes time to make something which is already there.
If you want perfectly automated route which can do everything and also can see other running trains, you have to do huge work.

But I have to say that there are many other things I would like to know inside of CS2 ( mostly software, but also in the operating system). I would like to know how the LINUX is configured, what drivers there are and how they are loaded into system. Is there any possibilities to add bigger screen to CS2 ( even touchscreen) etc. etc.

It is interesting to wait and see what future brings to us for this hobby. Some of us ( me included) are waiting for quite much, II hope that we need not greatly disappointed.
Meanwhile I continue digging and searching and testing, that is part of my hobby and it is fun.

Here in Finland there are only few summer-days left, after that autumn is coming slowly. Rains, cold days and darkness.
BUT . . .

Fortunately this forum is there, you are there and rolling stocks are rolling BigGrin

Happy Training

Regards

Jukka

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline jeehring  
#6 Posted : 12 September 2015 16:49:00(UTC)
jeehring

"3:10 to YUMA"
.... is the title of a movie .

You know that old station masters designate trains only by
their hourly ?
"... the 5:42 is still in late...." etc...etc...

The two main data about traffic management are: the schedule and the line + direction on which they roll .
to close a crossing we need to know that a train is coming, its identity is not crucial. It's the same for swithing a red light on...
IMO, Computer tracking is artificial & spoil the true game. It's only a simulation.
Identification of a train is the pleasure of a player and must be done by himself. Otherwise, you just buy "train simulator".
However computer tracking can be useful for some maneuvres sometimes (Schedule has not the same meaning), but not really essential...
Offline siroljuk  
#7 Posted : 13 September 2015 09:53:31(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello,

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
Identification of a train is the pleasure of a player and must be done by himself. Otherwise, you just buy "train simulator".
However computer tracking can be useful for some maneuvres sometimes (Schedule has not the same meaning), but not really essential...

I agree, at least in part . . . My targets, however, are a bit different that most of you have ( at least at the moment).Unsure

I like to find out what kind of things you can do with these wonderful devices and mini computers. Model railways are very good test environment to do and dig of.

Maybe sometimes I make a nice landscape environment, which acquired my technical skills I could use. Fully automatic path I personally do not want to build, but the characteristics of expensive equipment I want to learn and at least partly utilized.RollEyes

Happy Training

Regards

Jukka

Ps. I have to add this:

I am sure that when you start big Layout-project, you must have been designed as precisely as possible what all the environment will include and how it works. That's why you need to know what the available devices are adequate.
Offline eroncelli  
#8 Posted : 22 September 2015 17:02:54(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
Check this forum:
www.rocrail.com

and search for Railuino, Arduino, RasPi and you'll get plenty of info using those microcomputers and the CanBus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by eroncelli