Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cargodog  
#1 Posted : 28 July 2015 09:27:00(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Hey guys,

My layout is finally advanced enough where I start hooking a lot of things up to it. Turnouts (27 so far), servos (6) and a few lights. Much more will come as I progress.

I'm using an ECoS II, SwitchPilots. When the layout is finished it'll be roughly 45 turnouts operated by 13 Switchpilots, 6 servos, 1 round table, 15 uncouplers, plus loads of lights). Im currently considering 3 options for powering the layout:

1) 1 POWER SUPPLY

Let the ECoS power absolutely everything. Somehow I'm not really keen on this idea. But if someone here can confirm this won't cause any problems, it's obviously the easiest way to go in all aspects.

2) 2 POWER SUPPLY'S
Power supply 1: ECoS powers track
Power supply 2: Separate power supply to lighting
Let either one of the two power the Switchpilot's

3) 3 POWER SUPPLY'S
Power supply 2: Seperate power supply to lighting
Power supply 3: Seperate power supply to Switchpilot's.

I'm leaning towards option two. Can I use one of the old blue transformers to power my lighting setup? Obviously it'd be a simple on/off function for all lights with no individual dimming control. The other option I've looked at is buying into Woodlamd Scenics (WS) Just Plug lighting system. This system seems very good, and very flexible. However, each unit can only supply 4 light units, which will make this option very costly - UNLESS.... Does anyone here any experience with his system. WS obviously want to make money, so they say you can only use 4 lights per control unit. However I'm fairly convinced that it should be possible to hook 3 lights (or more) up to each output, so 12 lights per control unit. Anyone knows/tried?

Now you know my thought process. What do you guys do?

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Cheers, René...

If everything's under control, you're just not going fast enough.
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Cargodog
Offline michelvr  
#2 Posted : 28 July 2015 15:41:48(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Cargodog Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys,

My layout is finally advanced enough where I start hooking a lot of things up to it. Turnouts (27 so far), servos (6) and a few lights. Much more will come as I progress.

I'm using an ECoS II, SwitchPilots. When the layout is finished it'll be roughly 45 turnouts operated by 13 Switchpilots, 6 servos, 1 round table, 15 uncouplers, plus loads of lights). Im currently considering 3 options for powering the layout:

1) 1 POWER SUPPLY

Let the ECoS power absolutely everything. Somehow I'm not really keen on this idea. But if someone here can confirm this won't cause any problems, it's obviously the easiest way to go in all aspects.
P
2) 2 POWER SUPPLY'S
Power supply 2: Separate power supply to lighting
Let either one of the two power the Switchpilot's

3) 3 POWER SUPPLY'S
Power supply 2: Seperate power supply to lighting
Power supply 3: Seperate power supply to Switchpilot's.

I'm leaning towards option two. Can I use one of the old blue transformers to power my lighting setup? Obviously it'd be a simple on/off function for all lights with no individual dimming control. The other option I've looked at is buying into Woodlamd Scenics (WS) Just Plug lighting system. This system seems very good, and very flexible. However, each unit can only supply 4 light units, which will make this option very costly - UNLESS.... Does anyone here any experience with his system. WS obviously want to make money, so they say you can only use 4 lights per control unit. However I'm fairly convinced that it should be possible to hook 3 lights (or more) up to each output, so 12 lights per control unit. Anyone knows/tried?

Now you know my thought process. What do you guys do?

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Cheers, René...

Hello Rene,

Good question to ask! Here is what I did for my layout.

3) 5 Seperate POWER SUPPLY's
Power supply 1: TRACKS ECoS 50200 plus 2 ESU ECoSBoost
Power supply 2: LIGHTING Seperate 12 volt power supply
Power supply 3: SWITCH PILOTS Seperate 12 volt power supply

I am using the ESU ECoS 50200 with 2 ESU ECoSBoost for powering the tracks.

I have a large room sized layout which is about 13 x 3.6 meters. My layout has a double track main line going around the room. Each main line has it's own power supply. From each main line the branch lines take power from the main line booster.

Presently I have over 30 turnouts and another 30 more to install. I have a 12 volt 3 amp power supply for the Switchpilot's. I am using Tortoise switch machines which take very little power to operate.

12 volt separate power supply for the lighting of building and lamp posts.

All power supplies are located on a drawer and are plugged into a surge protected power supply.

Michel

P.S. Check out this very informative website: http://www.wiringfordcc.com
Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 28 July 2015 16:33:41(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Just a consideration to remember; you will rarely activate more than one switch-motor/uncoupler/relay/signal at a time, so huge numbers of these things should not have an impact.
The length of your trackage is not important to the power consumption, and neither is a (necessary) huge number of feeder-cables to it.
The number of simultaniously running trains (and interior lighting in coaches) *IS* important.

I would definatly feed all stationary lights from a different source, so; Option 2.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Cargodog  
#4 Posted : 22 September 2015 17:24:27(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
First off. Sorry for the late reply. Been away on 4 weeks vacation, and working my butt off after that.

I think I've settled on buying an ECoS booster to power my lights, and leave the rest to my ECoS 50200.

Having said that, I've noticed that the lights in all my switches flicker constantly when the track power is on. Would it help to use a seperate power supply for my SwitchPilots, and therefore my switches? The ECoS booster can be set to a lower voltage than the 18 volts output currently generated by my ECoS 50200. Would this help with the flickering, or is that caused by a different issue altogether?

Thanks again...
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 22 September 2015 17:48:46(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Cargodog Go to Quoted Post
Would this help with the flickering, or is that caused by a different issue altogether?
I think the flickering is the result of powering lights from track voltage.

If you have RailCom enabled in the ECoS and if you do not need RailCom, try disabling RailCom. That should help.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Cargodog  
#6 Posted : 22 September 2015 22:17:07(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Thanks Tom,

I disabled the RailCom. Lights are still flickering? Would you have any other ideas?