Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2015 19:39:08(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Goog evening everyone,
I would like to convert the 3337 to digital using the kit 60760. No problem in doing this but I have opened the loco and have found two PCBs in it, one is the electronic direction inverter (is this the correct term in English?) but the other is a mistery to me.
It looks like some sort of distribution thingy for the various cables inside the loco.
Has anyone tried this conversion ? Is this second PBC necessary at all or not ?

Marklin 3337.jpg

Thank you
Marco
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2015 20:12:43(UTC)
H0

Hi, Marco!
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
Is this second PBC necessary at all or not?
It is used for the light changeover. You don't need it with a decoder.
The outputs of the 60760 can handle two light bulbs. Three light bulbs will be on at the same time.
I'd use a better decoder with a single light bulb per output (requires a decoder with at least four outputs) and let the decoder function mapping handle the light changeover.

If you want to use the 60760, you can either leave the rear light off or use light bulbs with a small current draw.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Dave Banks  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2015 23:17:30(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
This was done a long while ago & apologies for not so brilliant photos & poor soldering skills "early years" but I converted this with an ESU 21 pin lokpilot.

AE6/6 11404

Ae6/6 11404

AE6/6 11404

Ae6/6 11404

Ae6/6 11404
D.A.Banks
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 14 June 2015 23:34:11(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The 3337 will require some modifications to be operated digitally. Firstly, you will need the appropriate conversion kit for the motor (magnet) and high efficiency kit. You will then need to rewire the lighting as the original design used the locomotive chassis for the return (ground). To properly operate in digital, you will need to replace the ground with a connection to the decoder terminal.
As far as I know, Maerklin has not yet released an Ae 6/6 (Ae 610) with LEDs, so if you have one of the more recent models (37366, 29580, 37360-3, etc) you can probably use that as a wiring guide for your upgrade.

I actually converted one of my Ae 6/6s when I found a more recent model with sound on the web (damaged shell) for less than the calculated price of all the parts that I would have needed to convert it myself. I swapped the chassis and it works and looks perfect now. The damaged shell came in handy for parts (pantographs and feet, roof wiring) and the analog chassis sits in a box as reserve.

Regards

Mike C

Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 15 June 2015 03:30:00(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Marco, the light change over circuit board can be used but before using it again as a digital loco there are modifications to be carried out. all depends what decoder you prefer, e.g. Märklin, ESU, Zimo or other brands, ESU offers a 21 pin adapterboard, which I think would be the most appropriate decoder to use (21 pin), the rest Mike has indicated what else can be done.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline ocram63_uk  
#6 Posted : 15 June 2015 22:40:13(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
All,
thank you for your replies.
I have the Marklin engine conversion kit, so no problem there, plus there is a Marklin decoder in the box.
I believe I'll stick with the Marklin brand for this time, already spent enough BigGrin

Dave, your PCB marked 62225 is the original one, correct ? The 4 x 1N400X on the bottom were your addition or were they already out of the factory ? If you added them why ?
Regards
Marco
Offline Dave Banks  
#7 Posted : 16 June 2015 04:17:46(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi Marco,

PCB #62225 is Marklin stock standard. They are there to attain 2 driving lights on in forward motion & One rear driving light on right rear as is prototypical with all Swiss Ae6/6. This loco I converted was originally out of a starter set & it died. I bought it cheap & converted it with ESU MFX 21 pin lokpilot decoder. You can copy my wiring via photos to getting lights working correctly but please just observe the different cable colours that marklin use as opposed to ESU but I am sure you know that already. Good luck.

D.A.Banks
Offline gwolski  
#8 Posted : 04 July 2015 22:48:05(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
I just finished converting my 3337 using a LokSound 4.0 decoder. I removed the PCB and attached both left hand bulbs to AUX 1. I configured the decoder to turn on AUX 1 whenever either forward or reverse headlights are turned on. This is documented pretty well in the decoder manual under Swiss lighting. I like this solution since it uses the available functions on the decoder and gets rid of any extra circuitry. My 3337 looks and runs great! Cheers!
Gene Wolski
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by gwolski