Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline minirail  
#1 Posted : 31 December 2014 15:34:23(UTC)
minirail

I received my locomotive today from Modell Center Aachen Germany / Miniature Railways South Africa. In my opinion it must rate as the most finely detailed steam locomotive that Marklin has ever made. Good news is that the booklet on the S2/6 that comes with the locomotive is in a number of languages, including English. The steam locomotive sounds on this model are excellent, crystal clear. The cab light and cab details are very good indeed. One small problem Marklin have included add on details, two of them there is no reference in the manual on where they go, but I am sure we will find out shortly. This locomotive is for connoisseurs and is well worth the list price of €499.95 BigGrin
thanks 17 users liked this useful post by minirail
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 31 December 2014 17:46:07(UTC)
Goofy

Do you have any pictures of it?
How does locomotive running on the tracks and over the turnouts?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Mark_1602  
#3 Posted : 31 December 2014 23:42:23(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hello,

I'm a member of the German Stummis Forum as well, and there it has received many positive comments. Of course there are always a few people who complain about little details, especially the distance between the locomotive and the tender, or about the wheels, which are not as true to life as what the DC manuacturers use, but these two minor imperfections make sure that the locomotive can run on Märklin rails without any problems.

I don't collect Era I, but it's an impressive model!

Best regards, Mark

Link: Stummi Forum S 2/6 thread
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline minirail  
#4 Posted : 01 January 2015 09:47:12(UTC)
minirail

The locomotive runs well over K track turnouts and contact sections. If you forward to me how to transfer pictures that I have taken of the locomotive I will post them on the forum.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by minirail
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 01 January 2015 11:28:57(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Steve,

There are two easy ways.

1. When you "post reply" check the box on the bottom left that says attach files to this post. It allows you to browse your computer for the photos you want to attach and they then appear at the bottom of your post.

2. Use "My Dashboard" at the head of the page. This is a bit more complicated but is fairly self expanatory if you follow the steps.

In both cases make sure your photos have been reduced in size. If you try to use a high resolution photo straight from your camera it won't work. I use Microsoft paint to make pictures smaller by using the "resize" menu and saving the resized picture with a different name. For a 5 - 10 MPixel photo you might need to reduce the size to 25% on both height and width.

Good luck!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline MikeR  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2015 22:02:41(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Do you have any pictures of it?

Hi Anders

Steve was unable to upload the photos and has asked me to upload them on his behalf.

Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
thanks 24 users liked this useful post by MikeR
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#7 Posted : 03 January 2015 08:59:24(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Hi Steve - Enjoy this fantastic model....thanks Mike for putting up the fotos.....a quite spectacular looking machine.
Just a tad envious....Love
All the best for 2015...and again, ENJOY, and have FUN!
Joe
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 03 January 2015 10:26:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
This one went straight on my wish-list. Now I need to find the budget for it!
Ray
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline steventrain  
#9 Posted : 03 January 2015 13:40:21(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I like the cab lighting, Very superb.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Webmaster  
#10 Posted : 03 January 2015 19:17:30(UTC)
Webmaster

Now guys - how come SA members already have it?
Didn't you have a huge postal strike???

I'm still waiting for mine... Hope to get it on Monday... Unsure
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Jay  
#11 Posted : 04 January 2015 00:10:56(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Hi Juan,the strikes been ended about a month.BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jay
Offline jeehring  
#12 Posted : 04 January 2015 02:28:22(UTC)
jeehring

excuse me, how are the headlights, plastic or....metal,..... metal" filigrane"...?
Is the cab molded in metal (die-cast) ? plastic ?....the vertical walls of the cab ? ...the roof ?....
Is the space between the tender & the locomotive adjustable ?
Offline franciscohg  
#13 Posted : 04 January 2015 23:27:32(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Nice, nice, nice!!!!!!
Can't wait for mine to arrive!!!!!
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline analogmike  
#14 Posted : 05 January 2015 03:19:50(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Nice, nice, nice!!!!!!

the styling that these men applied to the machines of the time is amazing!! i have seen photos of this prototype many years ago and it is nice to see it reproduced so well. can anyone tell me the size of the drivers in inches? mike.
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline kimballthurlow  
#15 Posted : 05 January 2015 05:26:45(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Nice, nice, nice!!!!!!

the styling that these men applied to the machines of the time is amazing!! i have seen photos of this prototype many years ago and it is nice to see it reproduced so well. can anyone tell me the size of the drivers in inches? mike.

87.3 inches.

Only one locomotive of this series was built.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kimballthurlow  
#16 Posted : 05 January 2015 05:35:09(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
excuse me, how are the headlights, plastic or....metal,..... metal" filigrane"...?
Is the cab molded in metal (die-cast) ? plastic ?....the vertical walls of the cab ? ...the roof ?....
Is the space between the tender & the locomotive adjustable ?

Hi Roland,
The Marklin website says it has a metal frame and locomotive body.
The loco icon is colored black (which usually indicates cab is also metal).

It says close coupling between engine and tender, and a minimum radius for running, of 360mm.
I guess this means, there would usually be no need for adjustment.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline minirail  
#17 Posted : 05 January 2015 07:48:55(UTC)
minirail

Hi Juan the reason that the locomotive arrived here in South Africa so quickly is due to the fantastic business relationship I have with Modell Center Aachen which benefits my customers and myself.

The questions with regard to the locomotive. The close coupling between the locomotive and the tender seem to be fixed. The locomotive manual does not show that the gap between the locomotive and tender can be adjusted as do the manuals of other steam locomotives. The cab and two front lights seem to be made of plastic. The quality of the locomotive is so good that normal handling of the locomotive does indicate that the parts are plastic.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by minirail
Offline biedmatt  
#18 Posted : 05 January 2015 12:17:28(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
The combination of a stunning prototype and Marklin nailing the work creating the model has made a beautiful piece. Nice job M!
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline jeehring  
#19 Posted : 05 January 2015 13:46:31(UTC)
jeehring

No more adjustable coupling between tender & loks, plastic lanterns instead of fine metal ones....here are the new Marklin standards on a 450 E machine .

They align with ordinary standards.
Saving up for increasing margins at the expense of overall quality...the downward spiral continues !
you can call it as well : the "race to the bottom" or..the great "dumbing down" (excuse my English)...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline RayF  
#20 Posted : 05 January 2015 14:08:54(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Come on Roland, it's a beautiful model!

Lets look at what's good about it, not what is less good....
Ray
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline biedmatt  
#21 Posted : 05 January 2015 14:25:48(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   

No more adjustable coupling between tender & loks,

I am a bit perplexed by this comment. For years now M has been making wagens that can run buffer to buffer yet still operate on their tightest radius. If the spacing between tender and lok is prototypical (can't tell from photos posted) and it will operate on their tightest radius, then why would an adjustable coupling been necessary? Seems like a feature that has become irrelevant through design and engineering.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#22 Posted : 05 January 2015 17:20:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
No more adjustable coupling between tender & loks, plastic lanterns instead of fine metal ones....here are the new Marklin standards on a 450 E machine .

Saving up for increasing margins at the expense of overall quality...the downward spiral continues !
you can call it as well : the "race to the bottom" or..the great "dumbing down" (excuse my English)...

I would dare to suggest that it is easier to model small fine detail items in plastic than it is in metal.

The possibility of modelling a lantern like these in clear plastic and then painting it where needed suggests that it would be easier to make a plastic 'light pipe' lantern that is a prototypical size and have an LED light placed somewhere suitable than to built a 'light pipe' and encase that in metal which due to plain 'making it work' engineering wise is likely to end up larger than a scaled prototype dimension.

Plastic =/= worse than metal.

And as others have pointed out, an adjustable coupling between tender and loco isn't necessary.

Offline jeehring  
#23 Posted : 05 January 2015 18:18:04(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I would dare to suggest that it is easier to model small fine detail items in plastic than it is in metal.

The possibility of modelling a lantern like these in clear plastic and then painting it where needed suggests that it would be easier to make a plastic 'light pipe' lantern that is a prototypical size and have an LED light placed somewhere suitable than to built a 'light pipe' and encase that in metal which due to plain 'making it work' engineering wise is likely to end up larger than a scaled prototype dimension.

And as others have pointed out, an adjustable coupling between tender and loco isn't necessary.

You should look at the BR 45 and many other Marklin models with fine tiny metal lanterns....
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline jeehring  
#24 Posted : 05 January 2015 18:49:29(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

According Mark's post at the beginning of this thread, people on German forums complain about the space between the tender & the Lok...
Most of Marklin steamers from those last 15 years have adjustable space between the tender & the lok....which allows something more close to the prototype if you want & if you can, because people with small radius curves need wider space...Adjustable space between tender & Lok is even a big highlight of Marklin steamers . Typical nice specificity from Marklin... We cannot find it at Roco nor at many other manufacturers who have motorized tenders ... it is a fitting of moving parts that must surely cost more to mount than a simple rigid drawbar (time consuming).
Once more they align with other low range items....."the others don't do it and they sell models too....so why should we do it"..(I'rather put this money in my Pocket) .
Marklin continues to loose what was making them UNIQUE....to become just a standard brand...
Sad !
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline kimballthurlow  
#25 Posted : 05 January 2015 21:24:04(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Marklin continues to loose what was making them UNIQUE....to become just a standard brand...
Sad !
[/i]

Hi Roland and all,
Marklin has to make a choice about what is important to the majority of buyers.

I can see your point about the metal lanterns, and for the close coupling, as "unique to Marklin" features.
Marklin (for this model) have chosen to concentrate the expenditure on other features, which will by themselves, appeal to many buyers.

Maybe M will return to these unique features for some of their models.

By the way, I am intrigued about the metal lanterns. eg. the Class 45, were they part of the main body casting, or a separate part?
I must admit, I have never looked at these closely on my models, but will do so from now on.

Compared to lanterns (not headlights) I see on the real railways here, the German lanterns were huge.

regards
Kimball

Offline Webmaster  
#26 Posted : 05 January 2015 21:39:24(UTC)
Webmaster

Roland, I must say that I hate those "adjustable" plastic tenders couplers...

Why? When it gets just a little bit worn (only needs a few "adjustments" back & forth for that), it "clicks out" to the longer position anyway with a heavy load behind the loco... Sad

So I must disagree with your opinion... Unique - sure, really useful - not for me. This is my personal opinion about it, others may disagree...

But if you are looking for a more prototypical look in the display cabinet, it's of course useful for that...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline steventrain  
#27 Posted : 05 January 2015 22:12:16(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the report, I have to cross 37015 off my wish list.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline jeehring  
#28 Posted : 06 January 2015 03:06:15(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Sad !
[/i]

Hi Roland and all,
Marklin has to make a choice about what is important to the majority of buyers.

I can see your point about the metal lanterns, and for the close coupling, as "unique to Marklin" features.
Marklin (for this model) have chosen to concentrate the expenditure on other features, which will by themselves, appeal to many buyers.

Maybe M will return to these unique features for some of their models.

By the way, I am intrigued about the metal lanterns. eg. the Class 45, were they part of the main body casting, or a separate part?
I must admit, I have never looked at these closely on my models, but will do so from now on.

Compared to lanterns (not headlights) I see on the real railways here, the German lanterns were huge.

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball,
I'm answering only by memory (don't have this model at sight) on 37450 the metal headlights were separate parts...

on the S2/5 we may consider the cab lighting as a single extra feature (2 wires + one LED)...Is there any other special feature ?
The prototype is a beautiful machine, so this Marklin model is a replica of a beautiful machine.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jeehring
Online Nigel Packer  
#29 Posted : 09 January 2015 00:14:53(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Well, I think the new S2/6 is pretty good!

I think it's very unfair to criticise the headlamps for being plastic. They are very well executed and look excellent.

I think the first loco that Märklin ever made that stepped up the design quality and finish to a higher level than previously seen was the first Württemberg Class C that was introduced in 1988 (loco 3611, etc). This had (I think) the first use of these delicate headlamps with LED lighting. These light fittings were separate parts, and were made of plastic! So the lamps on the S2/6 certainly do not represent a reduction in quality or standards.

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline Goofy  
#30 Posted : 10 January 2015 11:31:04(UTC)
Goofy

I have seen this model in Märklin´s TV.
The lighting effect looks very porr.
H0
Offline RayF  
#31 Posted : 10 January 2015 15:25:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Terrible! Don't buy it!

(Leave it so there's one left for me when I can afford it BigGrin)
Ray
thanks 16 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Mark_1602  
#32 Posted : 10 January 2015 16:17:17(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi,

I've just found a short Youtube video about the S 2/6:

Märklin S 2/6 Youtube video

It looks really nice, and the sound seems to be good as well! There is no spare parts list in the Märklin Online Shop yet, so I don't know which motor is inside, but in the Stummis Forum thread I have quoted above those people who have bought it say that it runs very smoothly and that they like it. As usual, criticism mainly comes from those who haven't bought it. BigGrin

I think that the exaggerated attention to minor details that are then seen as major imperfections is neither good for model railroaders, who might spoil their own fun with trains, nor for the producers, who are forced to design models that are really prototypical but might create problems in practice (cf. Roco's ultra fine wheels). All of that fussiness just drives up production costs. The German MRR magazines have been criticising Märklin (and other manufacturers) for several decades because their locomotives are not always true to life, but millions of kids and adults have enjoyed model trains regardless ... so let's just enjoy the S 2/6. Cool Cool

Best regards, Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline Shamu  
#33 Posted : 10 January 2015 16:28:35(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
So true Mark,

To each their own BUT when it comes to model trains that you want to actually run on tracks and especially anything smaller than "1" or "G" allowances MUST be made to ensure that they do run and do so for many years (hopefullyRollEyes ) without issue.

I have no issue with rivet counters but if they want perfection to detail go and buy a model kit or put hands in pockets and pay a great deal of money for the bespoke hand made brass varieties. BigGrin

Otherwise just enjoy your reasonably accurate and lovely model train as it plods around your layout. ThumpUp

The seemingly endless whinging about trivial matters does tend to get up my nose somewhat. Cursing Razz Flapper
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline kiwiAlan  
#34 Posted : 10 January 2015 16:37:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: M-Classics Go to Quoted Post

I think that the exaggerated attention to minor details that are then seen as major imperfections is neither good for Model railroaders, who might spoil their own fun with trains, nor for the producers,

I tend to agree, especially when the opinion is formed by looking at a video, which I am not convinced was shot under ideal conditions.

The only way to judge how good the model is is to view a real item on the track in front of you. There have been a number of positive reviews here from people who have received the loco in question, run it and come up with positive views on it.

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mbarreto  
#35 Posted : 10 January 2015 16:41:28(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Other day I was looking at this model and it looks great. I already have the Brawa in this livery so I will buy when M release the Grey with red wheels. Although I was not looking extensively for the Märklin model the Brawa looks better in 2 things: tender doors and rods/valve gears. Märklin looked better in all other respects and for sure it is far more robust.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#36 Posted : 10 January 2015 18:26:30(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: M-Classics Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I've just found a short Youtube video about the S 2/6:

Märklin S 2/6 Youtube video

It looks really nice, and the sound seems to be good as well! There is no spare parts list in the Märklin Online Shop yet, so I don't know which motor is inside, but in the Stummis Forum thread I have quoted above those people who have bought it say that it runs very smoothly and that they like it. As usual, criticism mainly comes from those who haven't bought it. BigGrin

I think that the exaggerated attention to minor details that are then seen as major imperfections is neither good for model railroaders, who might spoil their own fun with trains, nor for the producers, who are forced to design models that are really prototypical but might create problems in practice (cf. Roco's ultra fine wheels). All of that fussiness just drives up production costs. The German MRR magazines have been criticising Märklin (and other manufacturers) for several decades because their locomotives are not always true to life, but millions of kids and adults have enjoyed model trains regardless ... so let's just enjoy the S 2/6. Cool Cool

Best regards, Mark

...won't help Mark - there are those on the forum determined to trounce Marklin at any opportunity - as I said before: If you really don't like Marklin, for heavens sake, don't buy it!
Above all - Have FUN with your layout....Love
Joe
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline Goofy  
#37 Posted : 11 January 2015 11:45:55(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Terrible! Don't buy it!

(Leave it so there's one left for me when I can afford it BigGrin)

Don´t been worry...i won´t buy it!

Cool

H0
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Herrfleck  
#38 Posted : 11 January 2015 14:20:12(UTC)
Herrfleck

Sweden   
Hello!

I visit a friend yesterday and Could take à close look at the beutiful steam engine!

I can forsure say it is realy nice and god runing lok!!

I think it is à MÄRKLIN TOPP OFF THE LINE MODEL!!!!!ThumpUp ThumpUp

Bertil.
- since my lack in english I don't write so much here.. but learn by trying right? :) -

//Bertil
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Herrfleck
Offline Dreadnought  
#39 Posted : 17 January 2015 14:53:58(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
It was love at first sight.

I was at my dealer's shop yesterday. I needed some pieces for the rebuild of my layout. He had the S 2/6 in his display case. I stood transfixed. It is the most beautiful Marklin locomotive I have ever seen. On an aesthetic level, I love the symmetry of the 4 4 4 wheels.

The mat green colour is beautifully done. The detailing is very good, and I was not put off in the least by the plastic lanterns, criticized by some. To me they are very well executed. Inside the cab there is wonderful detailing. Brass wheels and handles show up nicely when the inside cab light is on. The external detailing is beautiful. The painting of the boiler bands and trim is excellent.

It is a delicate locomotive. As my reader said ,"it is a two hander". It is not one I will want to handle much.

I watched him open it to put in a smoke generator. I am glad I did not try it myself. Three very small screws had to come out, and the front truck has to come off. The front truck has a small spring, like the old reversing spring on older locomotives, which was not easy for him to get back in place. The delicate plastic steps on the front of the boiler had to be removed too.

Today will be spent getting at least one circle of track done so I can try running it. My report on its running characteristics will follow.

As for Herself, well, she was giggling over the phone as I was at the shop. She has announced an impending trip to Tiffany's. Hopefully I can keep it down to a silver polishing cloth. She calls it the most beautiful locomotive she has seen.

As I left my dealer was phoning his travel agent for tickets to Goppingen next September. I paid for them with my purchases!!!
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Shamu  
#40 Posted : 18 January 2015 02:33:38(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
OK, before I do anything I will get into trouble for and might personally regret I have a few questions of those who have bought the S2/6;

I assume that it does come with 2 sets of different length front stairs and its not a case of having to choose weather to chop off the bottom 2 rungs for small curves ?

What in general is your opinion of the press studs to anker the drive rods to the drive wheels ? Are they plastic or metal ? (I recall someone had them shear off in the wheel with a different loco)

After Dreadnoughts comment I have to wonder how much of a hassle is it going to be for regular maintenance with the front pony truck/spring.

I have no intention of paying that much money for a cabinet queen and would certainly want to run it regularly so I would imagine at least 4 to 6 pull downs a year for service. A less intrusive way of greasing the worm gear would be a bonus for all the new loco's.

I know for many this may seam like minor points but my eyesight isn't what it was and I want to be able to service my loco's without having a nervous breakdown every time.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline Dreadnought  
#41 Posted : 18 January 2015 14:53:24(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Hello Shamu,

Some of your questions I can answer.

There are two sets of the front steps included. The longer, and I assume prototypical ones are supposed to be used with very wide radius curves, R 5, I think. The short ones web fitted, and I intend to leave it that way.

Mine is still in the box as I am building the new layout. I hope to be able to test run later today. As it is overcast and wet, there is hope for that. As a result I cannot comment on the anchor studs. I will look more closely.

As for maintenance: I am not a mechanically minded person. I can change the brushes on my old 50s and 60s locomotives. I only oil them when they make the "oil me" noise. I think over oiling is a bigger problem than under oiling. I would not take this one apart by myself. Chatting with my dealer as he did the smoke generator, my impression is that it will be some years before it will need lubricating. I would take it into him, perhaps with a bottle of wine, and a pathetic "help me" look. My experience with the newer locomotives is that they do not need much maintenance. Feel free to correct me here, I go by my experience only.

My locomotives are run, they are not cabinet queens. This one will run too, and lots.

I hope to run it today. I will try it over curved and regular and double slip switches. Hopefully I will test on an incline too. When the dealer ran it on his demonstration layout it slipped a bit on the incline. His is not great as it is a steep curved incline. It was fine on switches. It was not much of a test, one circuit.

When I saw him run it I was impressed with its slow speed, the quiet running, and the sheer beauty of the movement of rods and wheels. More later, I hope.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline eduard71  
#42 Posted : 18 January 2015 16:11:55(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hi,
Has anyone compared this locomotive with the Brawa one? I have two versions of the Brawa model, the Museum one in dark green and the Palatine version. Iti is a beatifull model with 8 pole motor and full sounds.

Regards
Eduardo
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by eduard71
Offline kiwiAlan  
#43 Posted : 18 January 2015 18:28:48(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post

I have no intention of paying that much money for a cabinet queen and would certainly want to run it regularly so I would imagine at least 4 to 6 pull downs a year for service. A less intrusive way of greasing the worm gear would be a bonus for all the new loco's.

That represents an awful lot of running if you are going to lubricate 4 - times a year. Six times a year represents every two months. Four times a year is every three months.

Now working on the basis that recommended oiling times are after 40 hours of operation, then at six times a year for oiling that represents about 3/4 hour a day of running every single day. For four times a year that represents around a half hour of running every single day, give or take.

Bear in mind that that is actual running, that sort of level for six times a year servicing, to me would represent something approaching a museum layout for running a loco ... Blink
Offline H0  
#44 Posted : 18 January 2015 19:22:36(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
Chatting with my dealer as he did the smoke generator, my impression is that it will be some years before it will need lubricating.
For some locos Märklin gives a maintenance interval of 20 hours for lubrication of the wormdrive. Dry wormdrives will die silently, so IMHO better don't wait for the "oil me" noise of older locos.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Dreadnought  
#45 Posted : 18 January 2015 22:26:50(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I ran the locomotive today, finally!

Shamu, to answer your question, it looks as if there is a plastic elbow joining the drive rods of the front wheel. It is black, whereas the rest of the drive assembly is grey. I touched it, and it feels different to the rest of the drive assembly. I am no expert, but my guess is that there is one plastic piece at that point. I hope others will be able to verify, or correct me.

I ran it over switches. It took the curved switches, double slip switches, three way switches, and ordinary ones. It had no trouble taking them from the back, set the wrong way. I did not try it on R1 curves, but it was fine or R2 and R3.

It went up a 10% grade with no problems and down again.

I have yet to test it with carriages. My guess is that it will likely not be a strong puller. It has four large drive wheels, so limited contact with the rails with the drive wheels. (Well that is supposed to be the case, as I understand it) I can run some further tests if anyone wants.

Tom, thank you for that tip about lubrication. Likely in a year or two I should take it in for that. It is beyond my servicing, just like my car!

It is as beautiful in motion as it is on the shelf. It is a "thing of beauty and a joy forever." I will get two Bavarian passenger coaches for it. It will be for rail fan excursions on my otherwise Era 3 / 4 layout.

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Dreadnought  
#46 Posted : 18 January 2015 22:28:13(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
P.S. My testing was on C track
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline kiwiAlan  
#47 Posted : 19 January 2015 00:08:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

It is as beautiful in motion as it is on the shelf. It is a "thing of beauty and a joy forever." I will get two Bavarian passenger coaches for it. It will be for rail fan excursions on my otherwise Era 3 / 4 layout.

I would be tempted to get the Orient express coach set to run behind it ... Cool

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline loderunner  
#48 Posted : 19 January 2015 19:13:01(UTC)
loderunner

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
Hi Steve - Enjoy this fantastic model....thanks Mike for putting up the fotos.....a quite spectacular looking machine.
Just a tad envious....Love
All the best for 2015...and again, ENJOY, and have FUN!
Joe

I recieved my last week. It is a very nice and a delicate machine. I tried to install the smoke generator (Suethe 20) in the locomotive but have some problem doing so. It worked fine with chassis off. But puting chassis back was problematic. There is rubber tube atached to the chimenay inside the Loc, showing that it can withstand temperatures upto 150 degree C. What is pupose of this tube? I removed the tube from the chimeny and tried to insert the generator into the chimenay, of cource from inside of the chassis. It is too big for the chimmney. Also it is short of the somke genrator contact when inserted in the chimney. Is this tube an extention to the somke generator? What is max temperatore of smoke generator when in operation? Even with chassis off, my somke genator does not work anymore. I think it is burned out. How? I did not leave it "on" very long. I thought after 15 minuted it switched off automatically by CS2 to avoid damage to the somke generator.

If any body else has installed the asmoke genator in this machine, I would like to share his/her experience.

Tahnks
Offline Dreadnought  
#49 Posted : 19 January 2015 21:41:07(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Loderunner,

I stood over my dealer's shoulder as he installed a smoke generator for me. The rubber tube comes out when you put in a smoke generator. It is there to stop light bleed from the headlights when there is no smoke generator. My tube is back in the presentation box for safekeeping.

Putting the locomotive back together was quite a challenge. The cab has to fit properly to the chassis as that is the contact point for the in cab light. The forward truck has to be removed to install the forward screw which holds the chassis to the body. The other two screws are to the back either side of the cab.

The other challenge is to get the small spring back in place between the front chassis and the lead truck.

Hope this helps.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline loderunner  
#50 Posted : 19 January 2015 22:01:08(UTC)
loderunner

Canada   
Loderunner,

I stood over my dealer's shoulder as he installed a smoke generator for me. The rubber tube comes out when you put in a smoke generator. It is there to stop light bleed from the headlights when there is no smoke generator. My tube is back in the presentation box for safekeeping.

Putting the locomotive back together was quite a challenge. The cab has to fit properly to the chassis as that is the contact point for the in cab light. The forward truck has to be removed to install the forward screw which holds the chassis to the body. The other two screws are to the back either side of the cab.

The other challenge is to get the small spring back in place between the front chassis and the lead truck.

Hope this helps.

Dreadnought,

Thanks for the prompt reply. But how did he inserted the smoke generator in the chimney? The generator diameter is bit too large for the chimeny. I beleve Maerklin 7220 and Seuthe 20 are of the same dimensions.

Thanks