Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Steveknz  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2024 09:43:15(UTC)
Steveknz

New Zealand   
I've just got back home to NZ from a 2 week holiday on the Gold Coast in Australia with my partner and our 12 y/o son.
Did all the touristy things - theme parks, scary rollercoasters, Aussie Zoo, beaches etc.
Last Saturday my beautiful partner told me we were going for a day trip to Brisbane, but wouldn't tell me what she had planned - I expected it was some fancy shopping precinct she wanted to visit - as if we hadn't spent enough $$$ on the trip already!!!
Imagine my surprise when we arrived at the Brisbane Exhibition Centre and the Brisbane Model Railway show was on!!!!
This was a BIG display (maybe not by Euro or US standards, but certainly from the smaller NZ (Railex) events I've been too. Lots of smaller, personal layouts on display along with the bigger club displays and retail stands. I was surprised by how many manufacturers of Australian specific models there were.
BUT...... unfortunately Marklin was almost non-existent - I found one box of massively overpriced items for sale, but otherwise it was all 2 rail. ThumbDown

Kimball - I notice you're based in Brisbane - did you get to the show?

I want to put a 'shout out' to my partner and all the other long suffering wives, husbands, FD's and family of the forum members that put up with our hobby (obsession?). Even though my partner has zero interest in my trains, she organised for us to get to this show, and even spent a bit of time feigning interest looking at the displays (before she left me to go shopping at her fancy shopping precinct in peace).

Maybe you're one of the extra lucky ones, whose partner is equally engaged in the hobby?

To my partner Love Love Love Love

Cheers all
Steve

Steve
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Steveknz
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2024 12:47:01(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Not as engaged as I, but always amazed by crafty things I do, and the models. I save parts from everything. You never know what details may be missing and what you can use to make them. Not only the train hobby.
The steel shafts from the transport drive from unrepairable CD players fit inside the end of S shaped phono tone arms for extra weight so a heavier cartridge and head shell without a heavier counterweight.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 13 May 2024 00:31:00(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Steveknz Go to Quoted Post

Kimball - I notice you're based in Brisbane - did you get to the show?

I want to put a 'shout out' to my partner and all the other long suffering wives, husbands, FD's and family of the forum members that put up with our hobby (obsession?). Even though my partner has zero interest in my trains, she organised for us to get to this show, and even spent a bit of time feigning interest looking at the displays (before she left me to go shopping at her fancy shopping precinct in peace).

Maybe you're one of the extra lucky ones, whose partner is equally engaged in the hobby?

To my partner Love Love Love Love

Cheers all
Steve

Hi Steve,
I go to this show about one in five years.
My advancing years mean I dont get to the club (I am a member) who organise it.
It is very representative of the healthy hobby in Australia.
Märklin users here are very few and far between by comparison.

Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow