Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mbarreto  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2024 17:58:24(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Hello,

I have a 3768, BR 118 that is blue. The front and rear handrails (not sure these are handrails, but they look like it although I don't know how someone can need handrails in that place) were broken, I think
due to some bad box storage. I ordered the parts from Märklin and I received them, but they are unpainted. I need to paint them but don't know the best color match.

Does someone know what is the best matching color/paint, or at least RAL? I prefer Humbrol or Revell paints, but if there is other that is better match and has quality, I can go for it too.

The task of assembly doesn't seem to be simple, but will see.

Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2024 18:12:47(UTC)
H0

My guess would be RAL-5013 Kobaltblau. But maybe it is RAL-5011 Stahlblau.
https://www.bahnstatistik.de/RAL.htm

I think I have that loco. Maybe I find time tomorrow to compare her to some other locos.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 09 April 2024 20:41:50(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I had the same issue, and I used a cobalt blue paint
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Steveknz  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2024 09:23:09(UTC)
Steveknz

New Zealand   
Hi Miguel

I love this loco, nicely detailed.
I bought the 3368 version of this loco second hand and also discovered the same problem with the handrail, but also a couple of the stepladders were broken.
I think its pretty common with this model - they are quite often seen on Ebay and a close up of the photos can reveal broken rail and ladders. There's one on sale at Trainz.com at the moment listed as C-8 excellent condition and these items are missing completely!!

However, when I got my 3368 the broken handrails you talk about were actually black, not the same blue as the loco, and it looked fine, since other detailing is black (eg) stepladders.
I have received the replacement brass/copper coloured wire rail, mounting lugs and stepladders and assembled them onto the loco. I intend to paint the handrails black again. It should be a relatively easy job to paint them black, since the little plastic replacement mounting plugs are also black plastic.

So, in short I would suggest simply painting the handrails black, then don't have to worry about matching the blue colour.

Regards
Steve
Steve
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Steveknz
Offline Paul59  
#5 Posted : 10 April 2024 11:24:00(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Hello Miguel - that's a very nice looking loco.
I think the handrails are in that position across the ends to be held onto whilst climbing up to clean the windows.
I have a couple of the analogue versions (3368) and the handrails are the same blue as the body on those.
Paul
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Paul59
Offline mbarreto  
#6 Posted : 10 April 2024 13:49:28(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Hello,
Thanks for your answers! I have the old handrails and they are indeed the same blue as the locomotive body, so I will try to find some (probably cobalt) blue in Revell or Humbrol.
I think silk is preferable than matt...

I agree with Tom, it is RAL-5011 or RAL-513 (most probable).

Link for Revell silk RAL-5013:
Revel Product number 32350. RAL-5013 Satin enamel.

For RAL-5011, I didn't find a Revell paint. I think Humbrol 104 fits but I saw only a matt finish and not silk. Although matt will also fit, I think.

Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.