Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline diesel  
#1 Posted : 23 February 2024 03:30:55(UTC)
diesel

Australia   
Hi All,

I am thinking of purchasing the insider Northlander but cannot get full clarification of final price for Australia.

The order form quotes the price as $1,150 US dollars.

The question is at what stage is the final conversion to Aust dollars done ie at time of ordering or arrival in shop etc . Also does this price include local tax GST and can a shop charge more or less above/below the RRP set by Marklin. ?

If membership is via a German dealer would the VAT be deducted for export as per regular orders ?

Any input from the experience of members would be appreciated.

Cheers and thanks

Diesel

Ecos 50200, Software 4.1.2 Marklin HO K track, EcosBoost, Traincontroller Gold V9.0,B2, All track power via EcosBoost Separate programing siding. Decoders- Lokpilot V2,Lokpilotv3, Lok V4, LoksoundV4, Loksound V5, Marklin MFX and Marklin Fx. Internet Exlporer 11.0, Win 7
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 23 February 2024 03:51:02(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't know which dealer or how you are considering buying the Northlander. At the moment, shipping from Europe to Australia can be quite high, especially given the issues with the Red Sea (ongoing) and those with the Panama Canal. You can easily check the Euro vs AUD rates at major banks. Shipping rates to AUS are nominally available on dhl.de or other.
You might consider comparing the price of ordering from a US or Canadian dealer and the shipping cost from there.

You can send your Insider Member form to any dealer as the Insider is issued by the company and not by the dealer. IF you have it shipped from Germany, many dealers will issue a VAT rebate.

Regards

Mike C
Offline diesel  
#3 Posted : 23 February 2024 05:06:08(UTC)
diesel

Australia   
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply and apologies for not being clear in my question.

I want to purchase from an Australian dealer but trying to clarify if the Marklin RRP as per order form which is in US dollars is the actual final price we are charged by the dealer ie it should have no hidden extras like local taxes ie GST or postage from Marklin and at what stage is the final price conversion worked out as it can take up to 12 mths or more from time of ordering to receiving at the dealer.

Due to changing owner ship of Australian shops staff knowledge about the final price is vague.

Hopefully the experience of other Australian insider members can shed some light on normal procedure.

Regards

Diesel
Ecos 50200, Software 4.1.2 Marklin HO K track, EcosBoost, Traincontroller Gold V9.0,B2, All track power via EcosBoost Separate programing siding. Decoders- Lokpilot V2,Lokpilotv3, Lok V4, LoksoundV4, Loksound V5, Marklin MFX and Marklin Fx. Internet Exlporer 11.0, Win 7
Online kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 23 February 2024 14:56:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: diesel Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply and apologies for not being clear in my question.

I want to purchase from an Australian dealer but trying to clarify if the Marklin RRP as per order form which is in US dollars is the actual final price we are charged by the dealer ie it should have no hidden extras like local taxes ie GST or postage from Marklin and at what stage is the final price conversion worked out as it can take up to 12 mths or more from time of ordering to receiving at the dealer.

Due to changing owner ship of Australian shops staff knowledge about the final price is vague.

Hopefully the experience of other Australian insider members can shed some light on normal procedure.

Regards

Diesel

You don't say just where you are located (i.e. which state), but the local dealer will work on the basis of the cost of the item from Marklin. The end cost to you may vary depending on the actual exchange rate on the day he pays Marklin, but there is nothing you can do about that. Your best bet is to ask your local dealer what the expected cost will be. I would expect them to include your local VAT, GST or whatever the Oz government calls it.

If you don't have a dealer already lined up I would suggest you contact Nathans Trains in Brisbane. He is a pretty amiable guy, and a friend of mine does his Insider ordering through him.

Offline mrmarklin  
#5 Posted : 23 February 2024 16:15:32(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
The USD price does not include any VAT. Here in the US, sales tax, if any, is added to the list price and paid by the consumer. If the item is sent overseas, no sales tax will be charged because the item is not consumed locally.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 23 February 2024 21:27:54(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I know that the dealer is invoiced for the Insider at the time of shipment from Germany and not at the time of ordering. That said, the exchange rate for USD has not moved much from 65-67c for many months and unless something dramatic happens in the US, I can't see it moving much in the next few months - so I would work out the price based on the current exchange rate and you will be pretty close to the mark.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline diesel  
#7 Posted : 24 February 2024 00:39:23(UTC)
diesel

Australia   
Thanks for the replys all and Adrian your thoughts confirm my thinking so I will investigate a little further.

Regards

Diesel
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 24 February 2024 01:46:54(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Diesel,
I usually buy any Insider item from Nathan's Trains in Brisbane.
His prices have always been very comparable to the Euro price (at exchange rate minus MwSt(VAT)) available in Germany (and that has to include any postage costs).
I cannot imagine Hobbyco in Sydney or All Aboard at Bowral being too different.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Toosmall  
#9 Posted : 24 February 2024 09:59:07(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
It's a mixed bag ordering anything from OS from Australia. I have bought things which have taken forever even though I paid high freight fees. An order order from Japan, reasonable price & turned up reasonably quickly, a modestly top end needle for turntable (record player).

The quickest items are for my Land Rover from England. Order on Tuesday & arrives by 4pm Friday, DHL. The supplier must be on a discount rate, ok, not cheap, but not out of hand either.

It takes longer to get most deliveries across Sydney.

Items for hobbies, I suppose it is a cost triangle. Cost/need (satisfaction)/timeframe... & exchange rate!

I have bought a few items in Germany. One order the supplier doesn't deliver to Australia, so still with relatives in Germany. I I got the order delivered to relatives in Germany. Paying Germany's bloody tax rate because it was not exported, the price one pays for one's priorities.

The order will eventually come to Australia in "hand luggage".

It's that priority triangle again!
Offline Manga  
#10 Posted : 24 February 2024 12:36:43(UTC)
Manga

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
Items for hobbies, I suppose it is a cost triangle. Cost/need (satisfaction)/timeframe... & exchange rate!

I have bought a few items in Germany. One order the supplier doesn't deliver to Australia, so still with relatives in Germany. I I got the order delivered to relatives in Germany. Paying Germany's bloody tax rate because it was not exported, the price one pays for one's priorities.

Yes, that's what it is like living at the a$#%-end of the world.
Ordering pieces from Europe is a logistical nightmare.

You need to factor in what suppliers have what you need, their delivery costs and of course taxes and currency conversion...

...then try and work out what to order from whom, to minimise said taxes and currency fees...

...and what time to order from whom...as said items might be gone if you wait too long.Mellow

Offline applor  
#11 Posted : 25 February 2024 22:22:08(UTC)
applor

Australia   
The German dealer will tell you the final price in EU and without VAT (assuming you've told them its for export to Australia - export price). If they wont deduct VAT, buy elsewhere.

You then pay the dealer that price in EU + shipping (my dealer charges 25 euro flat, others will charg up to 50).

It is up to you where the currency conversion takes place when you pay the dealer and depending on payment method. Standard banks and paypal tend to have poor conversion rates so I use a 28 degrees mastercard (credit card) which is charged in EU and converted here to AU - they charge no conversion fee and have great rates. The CC itself has no annual fee or anything either.

If you use paypal they ask you if you want to charge your card in EU or AU. If you select AU then that is telling Paypal to do the (expensive) conversion. If you choose EU then it gets converted by the bank.

As long as the item(s) price is no more than around 600 euro (shipping not included) then you can import without being charged import fees and GST.
If there is a question of the goods value from border security, they e-mail you (make sure dealer includes your e-mail on the packaging) and you can just reply with a copy of the invoice and converted currency amount which will be under $1000 AU.

Shipping will take 2-4 weeks.

You should not be buying from someone charging in USD since their price is in EU and you're in AU...

As for Insider items specifically, you need to be an Insider member to order them. If you have a membership number you can have any dealer order it for you.
Otherwise you will find some dealers selling them without needing to be a member - this is because they order Insider items for all their own customers who have Insider membership, and if the members don't want them then they just sell the item to whoever wants it so they have excess stock.
So if it's a very popular insider item you may struggle to find one for sale. This is also why you are seeing Insider items on ebay etc. for anyone to buy.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor