Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline obb_taurus  
#1 Posted : 11 May 2024 20:13:42(UTC)
obb_taurus

Canada   
Hi,

I purchased a Marklin 37040 from eBay and it arrived yesterday, when I put it on the track my ECos didn't even find the loco. After trying for a while to get it detected, I gave up and went to an old test that always works, see if it works with a conventional control which it did not. The buyer told me it had been tested and everything was working, I didn't really have reason to doubt the seller as he has very good ratings. I looked at the schematic of the train and noticed it has a plug in decoder so this got me thinking that perhaps during it's journey the decoder was jostled and not making a proper connection. I re-seated the decoder and got it to work but whenever I put the cover back on the tender, it stopped working so I had to go re-seat the decoder again. I finally tried to bend the prongs out from the plug a little bit so the decoder was more snug and so far that seems to have done the trick. What I'm wondering is if this issue is common with engines that have plug in decoders that if they aren't super snug, issues like what I experienced could occur?

Thanks

Regards,
Mike
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by obb_taurus
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 11 May 2024 21:19:57(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: obb_taurus Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I purchased a Marklin 37040 from eBay and it arrived yesterday, when I put it on the track my ECos didn't even find the loco. After trying for a while to get it detected, I gave up and went to an old test that always works, see if it works with a conventional control which it did not. The buyer told me it had been tested and everything was working, I didn't really have reason to doubt the seller as he has very good ratings. I looked at the schematic of the train and noticed it has a plug in decoder so this got me thinking that perhaps during it's journey the decoder was jostled and not making a proper connection. I re-seated the decoder and got it to work but whenever I put the cover back on the tender, it stopped working so I had to go re-seat the decoder again. I finally tried to bend the prongs out from the plug a little bit so the decoder was more snug and so far that seems to have done the trick. What I'm wondering is if this issue is common with engines that have plug in decoders that if they aren't super snug, issues like what I experienced could occur?

Thanks

Regards,
Mike

Good you got the loco going again. All I know about these decoders is I have a job getting them in position without bending a pin or two then taking ages to straighten the pins to get the decoder back where it belongs.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2024 07:09:57(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
it depends which pins you are talking about, there are an 8 pin plug, 21mtc plug or a Plux22 but they all have the same function, with a 21 mtc you have to make sure the decoder is pushed right in, the Plux22 isn't as bad as you can push it down onto the circuit board, the 8 pin plug shouldn't be a problem at all.
I had the same issue on occasions whereas I didn't push the 21mtc decoder right down

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 12 May 2024 08:02:51(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: obb_taurus Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

..... if this issue is common with engines that have plug in decoders that if they aren't super snug, issues like what I experienced could occur?

Thanks

Regards,
Mike

it has definitely happened to me too on at least 2 occasions.
Also on some decoders either the receiving or decoder plate can be inserted upside down, which means the thing will never work.
That is such a fundamental design error!

Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.