* Last updated : October, 1st 2003
Official Mirror Site
Version 4.1.0 - January 2002
A model railroad design software
with digital control module
(for PC 80286 or above)
Distributed as ShareWare
Developed by Sébastien MARCHANT
- © 1993-2002
This web page is an official mirror of RAILWAYS software main site :
RAILWAYS is a ShareWare software to help you to design model railroad
track plans and to control them with the digital module for Maerklin
Computer Interfaces 6050, 6051 and 6023 or compatible.
It can be used by any model railroader, using any kind of tracks (Maerklin,
Fleischmann, Jouef, Lima, Roco, Altas, LGB, ...) and for any scale (HO, N,
O, Z or whatever you want) since you build your own database (DAT file) with
a tool software : SETUPRLW.
You can edit your tracks, define a workbench, add rectangles, circles,
signals and turntables, add texts and annotations, and above all you can add
flextracks with accuracy. Many tools are provided : 'copy, paste & delete'
possibilities, load and merge parts of layout, translation, rotation, choice
of colours, material list, printer interface for HP-LaserJet, HP-DeskJet and
Epson-compatible. PostScript, DXF (for AutoCAD, or other programs that can
import DXF files) and BMP files can be also exported.
RAILWAYS can be run from DOS 3.3 to Win31/Win95/98/NT/2000/XP and OS/2.
Graphics mode are available from EGA (640x350x16) to VESA-SVGA (up to 1280x1024x256)
if your video card can deal with such mode.
Snapshots (screen captures) :
Please, if you have any suggestions, comments, criticisms or problems, send
me an email, or write me a letter. So I can improve this software.
Please, report the bugs you may find... Thanks a lot.
|Tracks databases (DAT Files)
included in RAILWAYS package
|Atlas HO C100||ATLAS-HO.DAT|
|Fleischmann Profi HO||FMANN-HO.DAT|
|Fleischmann N (#1)||FMANN-N1.DAT|
|Fleischmann N (#2)||FMANN-N2.DAT|
|Hornby OO Imperial||HRNBYOO1.DAT|
|Hornby OO gauge||HRNBYOO2.DAT|
|Kleinbahn and Klein Modellbahn||KLEINBHO.DAT|
|Lima HO 'Nickel Silver'||LIMA-HO1.DAT|
|Lima HO 'Standard' or 'Blister'||LIMA-HO2.DAT|
|Peco HO Setrack||PECO-HO.DAT|
|Piko HO 'Standardgleis'||PIKO-HO.DAT|
|Pilz TT standard #1 (Hungary)||PILZ-TT1.DAT|
|Pilz TT standard #2 (Hungary)||PILZ-TT2.DAT|
|Roco Line HO||ROCO-HO.DAT|
|Roco 2.5 (old tracks)||ROCO2-5.DAT|
|Zeuke TT (Poland)||ZEUKE-TT.DAT
RAILWAYS software is available in following languages in the same package :
| Download RAILWAYS package
Please, note that the official documentation of RAILWAYS is always in English...
How to install RAILWAYS on your computer :
- Download RLW410.ZIP archive file [1.324.807 bytes]
If you have trouble to download from this site,
try www.railways.ht.st (Official site)
- Do not forget to register after the shareware evaluation period
if you think RAILWAYS is useful for you !
- Uncompress RLW410.ZIP archive with PKUNZIP or WinZIP program.
If you use PKUNZIP, please add the 'restoring directories' option :
PKUNZIP -d RLW410.ZIP
- To run RAILWAYS from MSWindows, double-click on RLW.EXE.
You can also type
RLW at MS-DOS prompt.
- To select the language of RAILWAYS user-interface, exit from RAILWAYS.
Edit RLW-US.INI with NotePad (double-click from Windows Explorer) or any other text editor.
Change 'Language' field to your preferred language code (codes are listed in RLW-US.INI).
Save RLW-US.INI and exit from text editor, then run RLW.EXE.
- Documentation is available in English in DOCS\ directory (HTML/GIF or TXT).
- If you have any problem or question, don't hesitate to
This software package is NOT FREE software.
This is SHAREWARE, that is TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.
You are hereby licensed to use this software for evaluation purpose without
charge for a period of 21 days.
If you use this software after the 21-day evaluation period, a registration
fee of 25 Euros is required.
Unregistered use of the software after the 21-day evaluation period is in
violation of international copyright laws.
When you want to register, please contact me
in order to find the easiest and cheapest solution to send me money.
Payments shall be made in Euros or in any other currencies (in this case,
the amount shall be equivalent to 25 Euros).
A registered user is considered as a legal user of any version of RAILWAYS
software (from v0.10 to v4.1 or above, MS-DOS version) and will also have
free email support and new version announcements via email.
Registrations also contribute to the development of a Windows version of
RAILWAYS, and registered users will pay half-price registration fee when
this version is available.
In addition, any suggestions or improvements are welcome from registered
The following table gives exchange rates for a few countries as of
|Euro : 25.00
|New Zealand||53.00 NZD
|South Africa||275.00 ZAR
(*) Please check rates when you register.
| What's new in the latest release - History
- January 2002 : RAILWAYS 4.1.0
- small bugs corrected
- demo mode of digital control when no computer interface is connected
- documentation clarification
- inline help available in spanish-castillan (thanks to G.Volpi)
- web/email addresses with redirection
- full euro currency support (!)
- update of exchange rates for registration
- November 2000 : RAILWAYS 4.0.0r2 (revision 2 of v4.0.0)
- spanish language support
- corrections in the SoundBlaster module (memory leaks...)
- updated Maerklin C track database (new marklinc.dat)
- no more ASCII documentation (no README.TXT)
- new shareware management
- October 1999 : RAILWAYS 4.0.0
- only one executable for all supported languages
- autofill function
- a few other improvements
- shareware in order to support Windows development of RAILWAYS,
email and Web support
- May 1999 : RAILWAYS 3.0.12 (upgrade for v3.0.9)
- many new video cards support only VESA 256 colours (or above)
modes (they do not support VESA 16 colour modes...) : RAILWAYS
was upgraded to be run with 256 colours in high resolution modes.
- improvements in feedback management
- a few other improvements
- February 1999 : RAILWAYS 3.0.9 (patch for v3.0.8)
- many people reports that RLW.EXE can't be started on PCs with
200MHz chip or above : a run time error occured when starting...
in fact, this was a Borland Pascal compiler bug
=> Borland Pascal compiler bug fixed and RLW.EXE recompiled
- "PostcardWare" now appears in first presentation screen
- RLWNOXMS.EXE for old (but good !) PCs (8086 with 640Kb of RAM)
- TESTVESA.EXE to test video card capabilities in VESA modes.
- new email and WWW addresses
- May 1997 : RAILWAYS 3.0.8 (upgrade for v3.0.4)
- digital support for feedbacks
- sound support for SoundBlaster Card and compatible (VOC format)
- new flextrack management
- a few other improvements
- January, 6th 1997 :
- Student life is over... I work now, so it is hard for me to find
time to continue Railways development...
- FTP and WWW pages have moved to ENAC new system : *.mis.enac.fr
- October 1996 : RAILWAYS 3.0.4 (patch for v3.0 and v3.0.1)
- digital support for 3-way switches and uncouplers
- possibility to update tracks and others in a Digital layout file
(like in a LYO file)
- two new languages : Swedish and Danish
- new DAT Files
- a few other improvements
- June 1996 : RAILWAYS 3.0.1 (patch for v3.0)
- Mouse Module was re-written for supporting VESA-SVGA modes with ANY
mouse driver. A special mouse driver driver is not necessary for
- the Dutch version is released
- the German version is available and released
- the Swedish version will be available soon
- May 1996 : RAILWAYS 3.0
- VESA-SVGA supports : 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024 (need a special
- printer outputs : HP LaserJet, HP DeskJet and Epson compatible
- a new mode of drawing tracks (much better...)
- a popup menu for an easier navigation through RAILWAYS menus
- Maerklin Digital support for Computer Interfaces 6050, 6051 and 6023
- support for asymmetric 3-way switches
- a little undo function
- hard drives autodetection
- an easy-to-use workbench function for rectangular board
- new DAT files
- better DXF files : line-styles, layers, ... and less bugs !
- a Dutch version is now available (May 1996)
- many other things and fixes
- to be continued in README files included in the package...
* End of Document *