Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline charles Sharpe  
#1 Posted : 31 October 2013 06:45:25(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello.

Has anybody got any of the new MFX signals, I was just wandering if they have the same amount wiring on them and how do they work. As some of you will know from my past posts that I have major problems with all my 76391 lights over £700 down the drain. They are so unstable I have had had to take out the red insulaters to get the trains to run past the signals. When I used to go a layout page and press the icon to change the light nothing then the next day they would work. Yesterday I spent most of the day track cleaning so while it was doing it's thing I clicked on and off all my turnouts and I thought I would click on the signal icon and guess what all the small boxes under the layout clicked back and forth the first time for months. We have gone back to basics and traced all the wiring to check for any loose connections and nothing comes up. It is so bad when people come to look at the layout and say you have spent all this money on your set up out it looks fanatic but why do you have trains going over red lights.

Charles. ps sorry for the rant.Angry Angry Angry
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2013 07:05:20(UTC)
Goofy

Light signals with mfx and DCC will been delivery Q1/2014.
I guess so...
Yours problem with light signals depends it´s fault sometimes from the factory Marklin.
That´s way they decides to change signals to better function.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2013 10:29:52(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
hi Charles,

Make you sure buy one mfx signal only to test on your layout.

What controller/boosters are you using?

Mine all 7639x all working fine with CS2 and 60174 boosters.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline petestra  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2013 11:09:07(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Charles, I have 28 of the new generation 76*** series signals and I think they're

great. I've never had a problem with them. I do not operate them under digital control.

They are all connected to analog control boxes and/or contact track sections. You might try to

re-install them? Sorry you're having all these problems with them. Peter
Offline charles Sharpe  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2013 13:10:53(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
hi Charles,

Make you sure buy one mfx signal only to test on your layout.

What controller/boosters are you using?

Mine all 7639x all working fine with CS2 and 60174 boosters.

Hi Steven.

All mine are 76391. I am running cs2 60215 and 60213 plus 60053 trans and 60174 boosters.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline charles Sharpe  
#6 Posted : 31 October 2013 15:39:21(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Hi Charles, I have 28 of the new generation 76*** series signals and I think they're

great. I've never had a problem with them. I do not operate them under digital control.

They are all connected to analog control boxes and/or contact track sections. You might try to

re-install them? Sorry you're having all these problems with them. Peter

Hello Peter.

I have lost count how many times we have re-installed them and still no good. Even the tech guys at Marklin are at a loss on why they are so unstable. Can I ask you Peter how are you wiring the lights up and what analog boxes are you using.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by charles Sharpe
Offline petestra  
#7 Posted : 31 October 2013 17:49:23(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Charles, I use the old (blue) 7072 control boxes and the newer 7272 gray ones.

The instructions I follow for connection are in the Signal Book 03402. starts on page 8-8
All my signal electronic circuits are mounted under the layout.

1. Unplug the Trafo/s that these signals will be connected to. This is important. I just
unplugged all Trafos.
2. Then connect the yellow/brown accessory wires to their respective buses which lead to Trafo.
3. Then connect red/green/yellow/white to the control box. If you're not using the yellow/white
colors then just roll them up and tape the end off.
4. Then connect the signal mast connection wires to the electronic circuit underneath the layout. These
wires must NEVER be shortened or lengthened.
5. Then connect the track current wires (2 red wires) to the signal block.
6. If you have analog working catenary like I do then connect those 2 red wires to the catenary block.

By the way my layout is digital and analog for operating trains and analog only for operating
accessories.

I hope this info helps.Peter
petestra attached the following image(s):
Control boxes 1.jpg
Control panel 2.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline blid  
#8 Posted : 31 October 2013 19:46:18(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
Hi,

Unfortunately you are far from the only one with problems with the 76*** signals. I was asked, by Marklin, to send just the boards back for upgrade via my dealer. The track current seems to interfere with the signal decoder part. In my opinion that is not the only problem. For some reason I have only got a few boards back (after more than a year). My dealer felt sorry for me and gave me two boards straight out of new boxes. One worked, the other not… I am using Train Controller so I don’t cut the power by the signals - except for the yard signals. By not connecting the two red track cables to the tracks a lot of them started working. One stopped working… A couple of 76394 have started to show undefined aspects (red and green at the same time). They could not be reprogrammed.

When signals stops working I can sometimes get them working again by making sure the aspect shown on my 60215 is the same as on the signal and then press STOP. When I press STOP again and get power they might start working. I can also try disconnecting the boosters (all tracks are on boosters, signals and turnouts are on the CS2). When I get power again (without the tracks) the signals usually works. When the boosters are reconnected some signals might stop working, but not necessarily the same ones as before. Frustrating!

Bjorn
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by blid
Offline charles Sharpe  
#9 Posted : 31 October 2013 19:54:00(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hi Charles, I use the old (blue) 7072 control boxes and the newer 7272 gray ones.

The instructions I follow for connection are in the Signal Book 03402. starts on page 8-8
All my signal electronic circuits are mounted under the layout.

1. Unplug the Trafo/s that these signals will be connected to. This is important. I just
unplugged all Trafos.
2. Then connect the yellow/brown accessory wires to their respective buses which lead to Trafo.
3. Then connect red/green/yellow/white to the control box. If you're not using the yellow/white
colors then just roll them up and tape the end off.
4. Then connect the signal mast connection wires to the electronic circuit underneath the layout. These
wires must NEVER be shortened or lengthened.
5. Then connect the track current wires (2 red wires) to the signal block.
6. If you have analog working catenary like I do then connect those 2 red wires to the catenary block.

By the way my layout is digital and analog for operating trains and analog only for operating
accessories.

I hope this info helps.Peter

Hello Peter.

I think if it is ok with you I will send you a PM so you can explain all the above. My replies could clog the site as wiring is not my best subject if it was wood now we are talking.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by charles Sharpe
Offline charles Sharpe  
#10 Posted : 05 November 2013 07:18:04(UTC)
charles Sharpe

I have decided over the weekend to us all my 76xxx signals in analogue mode. And as luck has it a guy was selling some of the 7272 boxes I need on e bay and the best bit is he is 30 miles up the road.

I have just found the signal book Petestra is talking about it was filed away in a safe place , I had bought it at one of the Treffs 6 years ago. All I have to do now is order some green cable as I have all the other colorers in stock. With as bit of luck my train friend will be over next week and we can wire up the 2 nearest signals and see what happens..

Charles.Laugh Laugh
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Marklindfb  
#11 Posted : 05 November 2013 22:11:22(UTC)
Marklindfb

United States   
Hi Charles, I have been dealing with the same issues that you describe for over a year. I have seen other post related to the unstable nature of the 76xxx signals. I have contacted Marklin USA, the dealers and even Germany. All indicate that there are no known issues. I have since learned that there is in fact a known issue. In fact it appears that Marklin has abandoned the 763xx series all together in favor of the 764xx mFx decoder series. For the sake of others who have struggled with this issue let me share some of my findings of endless experimentation to demine the root cause. I have 30 , 76xxx operating in digital mode, fully automatic block and yard sequencing control. I am running the 60215 CS, current software with multiple Transformers/boosters, s88's and reed switches. The intermittent failure of the blocks to cycle has caused several crashes, hundreds of hours rewiring, tracing potential solutions.

The failure mode: The one, some or several of signal blocks would apparently stop operating. I have been able to determine that when ever there is a power interruption, including pressing the "Stop Bar", periodically and randomly some of the signal blocks will fail to cycle after repowering the system. I have written a program on the CS2 that turns all signals to Red and a separate program to turn all signal to Green. The program allows me to test the signals to determine if they are all operational. I power down the CS2 the wait 10 sec. power up the system and execute one of the all "Red" or all "Green" programs. Following the completion of the program all signals should be the same color. Those signal which fail "initialize" will indicate the wrong color. I then run the process for 40 trials and plot the performance of all signals to determine the reliability and predictability of the signals. I have run this diagnostic test many times 50+ and determined there is a fundamental design flaw with the signals in that the failure mode is unpredictable and random.

Needless to say I cannot operate the layout, which is capable of running 12 trains at the same time in automatic mode. It seems that I am left with few options, wait for the mFx signals and hope they are better or switch to some other type of decoder or as a last resort convert to analogue.

Has anyone out there solved the issue or have a recommendation? Angry Angry Confused

DFB
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Marklindfb
Offline petestra  
#12 Posted : 05 November 2013 22:31:54(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I really do wish you guys lots of luck installing these great signals. I have 28 of them and had no

problems. I bought the book Charles did mention and followed the instructions to the letter for

conventional operation. As I recall if you don't have the book the instructions that come with each

signal do not help. Best of luck, Peter Smile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline charles Sharpe  
#13 Posted : 05 November 2013 23:25:57(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hi.

Sorry don't no you name but thanks for you input. This has been going on for the last 3 years or so and I was beginning to think it was me and I had done something Realy stupid on the layout to cause this. As you will see I am going to use the 7272 switch boxes I think that is the only way for me to go now. It is very disappointing when I have spent so much money on my layout and I have to say it does look good and I am having a big open weekend soon to show it off and the last thing I want is for trains to be seen to be jumping red lights.
Charles.

Originally Posted by: Marklindfb Go to Quoted Post
Hi Charles, I have been dealing with the same issues that you describe for over a year. I have seen other post related to the unstable nature of the 76xxx signals. I have contacted Marklin USA, the dealers and even Germany. All indicate that there are no known issues. I have since learned that there is in fact a known issue. In fact it appears that Marklin has abandoned the 763xx series all together in favor of the 764xx mFx decoder series. For the sake of others who have struggled with this issue let me share some of my findings of endless experimentation to demine the root cause. I have 30 , 76xxx operating in digital mode, fully automatic block and yard sequencing control. I am running the 60215 CS, current software with multiple Transformers/boosters, s88's and reed switches. The intermittent failure of the blocks to cycle has caused several crashes, hundreds of hours rewiring, tracing potential solutions.

The failure mode: The one, some or several of signal blocks would apparently stop operating. I have been able to determine that when ever there is a power interruption, including pressing the "Stop Bar", periodically and randomly some of the signal blocks will fail to cycle after repowering the system. I have written a program on the CS2 that turns all signals to Red and a separate program to turn all signal to Green. The program allows me to test the signals to determine if they are all operational. I power down the CS2 the wait 10 sec. power up the system and execute one of the all "Red" or all "Green" programs. Following the completion of the program all signals should be the same color. Those signal which fail "initialize" will indicate the wrong color. I then run the process for 40 trials and plot the performance of all signals to determine the reliability and predictability of the signals. I have run this diagnostic test many times 50+ and determined there is a fundamental design flaw with the signals in that the failure mode is unpredictable and random.

Needless to say I cannot operate the layout, which is capable of running 12 trains at the same time in automatic mode. It seems that I am left with few options, wait for the mFx signals and hope they are better or switch to some other type of decoder or as a last resort convert to analogue.

Has anyone out there solved the issue or have a recommendation? Angry Angry Confused

DFB

CHARLES SHARPE
Offline tulit  
#14 Posted : 06 November 2013 00:54:54(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
I bought one of the 76 series signals to try out as well. Lots of problems where it just refused to respond to commands from my cs2. Randomly hitting stop a bunch of times usually got it going again.

There's clearly some sort of flaw for so many people to be experiencing similar problems.

One of my cats eventually got to it and chewed the head to the point of not being recognizable so the whole thing ended in the trash.

I'll probably try the mfx variation when they come our.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tulit
Offline Harvey  
#15 Posted : 06 November 2013 01:44:44(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I have had similar problems and the 'explanation' regarding hitting stop is what I found to be the situation (for me). I have one signal that will fail to turn green/red when the magnet passes over the reed. If I hit stop, this signal will start working properly. If I hit stop again. It fails. So, every other stop is good. I recall reading here a few years back (maybe it was conjecture) that there was a flaw in the CS2 code and was to be fixed in an upcoming release. I never saw this mentioned again. I always wondered why the Marklin layouts (layouts they build for exhibition) didn't encounter the same problem.

I have 8 73691 and 2 76393. It is one of the 73691's that is faulty. However, I have changed the signal at that location and same issue. Even change the S88 connection. So, I think it is not the signal but the software. But, that is a guess.

Regards

Harvey
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harvey
Offline clapcott  
#16 Posted : 06 November 2013 22:16:32(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Hi Guys,
I am always distressed when a product makes it hard (or impossible) to implement the stated capabilities.
Without doubt there are examples of faulty products and designs, but there are also hard to understand setup instructions, and sometimes simply distinguishing the difference helps lower the frustration.

I applaud the detailed collection and documentation of ALL aspects of an issue in order to bisect the root cause.
Doing this also prevents others from reinventing the wheel by giving a wider perspective to problem determination

As it relates to the experiences in this thread, I see a couple of holes that I would like to think have been covered off in the dealings with marklin support , however they DO need to be mentioned here along with your issue descriptions, for completeness sake if nothing else.

Specifically.
a) (Contrary to statements above) There Is/Was a product issue with the 763xx signals (maybe not the only one). This surfaced with the CS(mfx interoperability) and was addressed by bringing out a "Version 2" (Red Dot). I would simply ask that those with problems state that they are indeed with the newer V2 products. While there is a reference to recent installations, I am always wary that the items themselves may have been older/second hand (and possibly v1) products. A reference to software versions has also been made, but not qualified - I taken nothing for granted, so please state the actual version in use at the time of problems.

b) The setup on the CS2 should be for the "Profi .." icons ("Scale Color Light Signal HP..." not "Color Light Signal HP.."). The difference being that the original will always send 2 commands in quick succession for a 3/4 aspect signal while the Profi.. behavior (along with these signals) only needs 1 command. So again I would ask that any description of the problem cover off that this is the state in which problems still occur.

c) I do note that examples given include single address/2 aspect signals, and for these I would ask what settings have been tried for the Switching delay. (I ask mainly because setting this to 1000mS has been a documented requirement for doing the initial address setup, but the latest documentation makes no comment about changing it back once the address setup is complete)

d) And just to close out a final niggle in the back of my mind, the latest documentation spells out the need to get the "B" and "0" wiring the correct way round. Failing to do so with the likes of a k83/k84 will be a succinct No-Go, however from my limited experimentation I know the 763xx signals will operate with incorrect polarity and I wonder if , while generally working, they may be more susceptible to random not working. This point is worth pursuing if you have simply swapped a CS1 for a CS2, as the polarity out of the plug is different - trains (except 6080) have long since given up caring but accessories do.

Any other activities by yourselves, or suggested by service that were aimed at bisecting the scope of the problem would be valuable for others, again , so they may distinguish between a fault v the complications of setup/operation.

Declaration: I am unable to weigh in with anywhere near the amount of experience described above in this thread as I only have a couple of items. Further to this, from day one I never liked the lights going out whenever the track went dead (short or emergency stop) and therefore use a separate controller (6021, which also means my v1 items are still usable). And I don't use the dead section feature of the signals themselves.
I am therefore also interested in the pending 764xx items which, in my opinion, should not rely on track power to stay lit and have a dead section able to be overidden for reverse direction single/branch line operation.

Edited by user 11 November 2013 05:04:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline petestra  
#17 Posted : 06 November 2013 22:27:30(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Peter, yes I see what you mean about issues. They all seem or seemed to occur

with digital operation. I bought my first ones in 2009 and had no problems at all

connecting them to analog control. This is a big problem as most people use digital now as I now use both

systems. I think though that I will keep my signals/switches/uncoupler tracks on analog control. I

did not know about all these problems with digital operation until very recently but I really

feel that it's much easier to operate them by just pushing the control box setting. I have

66 of these accessories on my layout and it's really just much faster to operate them the old

way, especially if you're running 5 trains at once and a signal needs to be set at red quickly.

I have ordered one of the new mfx semaphore signals for delivery next year. I will connect this

one signal to my MS2 and I'll see how it goes. Cheers,Peter Cool
Offline BrandonVA  
#18 Posted : 06 November 2013 22:40:32(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   

one signal to my MS2 and I'll see how it goes. Cheers,Peter Cool

You're a daredevil now! :)

I don't see too many complaints about Viessmann signals. I like to stay with Mother M, but in this case...perhaps worth a look.

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline petestra  
#19 Posted : 06 November 2013 22:45:22(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Not a daredevil, Brandon. Perhaps just an old dog with a spark or two of new-found

courage? Laugh Peter
Offline Harvey  
#20 Posted : 11 November 2013 03:23:06(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Peter

Really appreciate your points regarding checking several items. I have a CS2 (for control, current software version) and a booster (3017 - number is likely incorrect, but it's the older model booster - 4 digits) to provide current to lights and signals. My 73691 signals are all V2. I checked how the signals are set up in the CS2 and found that I had used Color Light Signal. So, I changed to Scale Color Light Signal (using the CS2 instruction manual (placing the clip on the board, etc). The instruction are to set the delay at 1000mS but change back to 200ms when completed. In the past I have tried different mS settings and found no difference in results.

I still have this problem. The signal will not change if I hit stop. If I hit stop again, the signal works fine.

For now, I have simply changed my other signals to Scale (in the CS2 screen) but have not repeated the installation (with the clip). They work fine, as before.

One point you make regarding the B and O wiring is not clear. Exactly what do I look at to confirm the polarity is correct? Appreciate if you can expand on this.

Regards

Harvey

Offline clapcott  
#21 Posted : 11 November 2013 05:29:35(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Harvey Go to Quoted Post
One point you make regarding the B and O wiring is not clear.

Exactly what do I look at to confirm the polarity is correct? Appreciate if you can expand on this.

Harvey

Thanks for filling in some of the blanks.
? Were these items covered off with your discussions with Marklin service

I presume you mean 76391 (not 73691)
The booster will be a 6017(or 6015)

The connections out of the CS or Booster ...
- B = Bahnstrom = Power = Red
- 0 ("Zero" not "Oh") = Return/Ground = Brown
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline charles Sharpe  
#22 Posted : 14 November 2013 22:20:58(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Peter
I am unable to see how I change the signal to scale color light signal on the CS 2'
Really appreciate your points regarding checking several items. I have a CS2 (for control, current software version) and a booster (3017 - number is likely incorrect, but it's the older model booster - 4 digits) to provide current to lights and signals. My 73691 signals are all V2. I checked how the signals are set up in the CS2 and found that I had used Color Light Signal. So, I changed to Scale Color Light Signal (using the CS2 instruction manual (placing the clip on the board, etc). The instruction are to set the delay at 1000mS but change back to 200ms when completed. In the past I have tried different mS settings and found no difference in results.

I still have this problem. The signal will not change if I hit stop. If I hit stop again, the signal works fine.

For now, I have simply changed my other signals to Scale (in the CS2 screen) but have not repeated the installation (with the clip). They work fine, as before.

One point you make regarding the B and O wiring is not clear. Exactly what do I look at to confirm the polarity is correct? Appreciate if you can expand on this.

Regards

Harvey

CHARLES SHARPE
Offline supermoee  
#23 Posted : 14 November 2013 22:31:16(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello Charles,

you know that there are cases of incompatibility between CS and 76xxx signals even if the signals are V2.0? This arrived after one of the updates of the CS, if I remember right it was after implementation of the DCC.

You have to send in the decoder of the signals to Märklin. They will update the firmware of the decoder to 3.0 for free and then the signal will work fine. I had 2 out of 8 signals with freezing problems during layout operation. Since I sent them in they work fine. on the delivery note was written updated firmware

rgds

Stephan
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by supermoee
Offline charles Sharpe  
#24 Posted : 14 November 2013 22:38:01(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Sorry last post got lost .I am in able to see how I change the signal in the cs2. As far as I can see there is light signals or semifore ones. What am I doing wrong.

The other question I have if I rewire them analoge as the signal book/ instruction booklet that comes with the signal will a loco stop in front of the signal if it is on red. I know this might be a stupid question but I have had to remove 1 set of the red isolaters to get the loco to go past a red signal when the signals are stuck on red.

Charles
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline charles Sharpe  
#25 Posted : 14 November 2013 23:14:13(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Originally Posted by: supermoee Go to Quoted Post
Hello Charles,

you know that there are cases of incompatibility between CS and 76xxx signals even if the signals are V2.0? This arrived after one of the updates of the CS, if I remember right it was after implementation of the DCC.

You have to send in the decoder of the signals to Märklin. They will update the firmware of the decoder to 3.0 for free and then the signal will work fine. I had 2 out of 8 signals with freezing problems during layout operation. Since I sent them in they work fine. on the delivery note was written updated firmware

rgds

Stephan

Hello Stephen.

How long did it that take for M turn them around and does that mean they V3 is now MFX.

Charles.

Edited by user 16 November 2013 07:34:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Steamer01  
#26 Posted : 16 November 2013 14:51:54(UTC)
Steamer01

Netherlands   
I have V 3.0 on the signals and now they work fine. It took about 6 weeks from the Netherlands to Germany and back again.

Steamer01
CS3 60216 + 8 x 60174 + 1 x 60175
www.rensenmodelbaanwereld.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Steamer01
Offline charles Sharpe  
#27 Posted : 16 November 2013 15:30:19(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hi. Steamer 01.

So are they MFX. When you sent them back to marklin do you just tell them that you had got some signals that was faultily and they said send them in and we will upgrade them.

charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline supermoee  
#28 Posted : 18 November 2013 08:17:53(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello Charles,

I got them back in something like 4 weeks.

Yes, you write that you are operating them with CS2 and that you have freezing problems. At Märklin they know exactly the problem.

V3.0 is not mfx.

rgds

Stephan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by supermoee
Offline charles Sharpe  
#29 Posted : 18 November 2013 09:53:18(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello Stephen.

Do you know do they change the pc board or the decoder in the signal head or is it a best to send everything that comes in the box when you buy the signal.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline charles Sharpe  
#30 Posted : 23 November 2013 19:41:55(UTC)
charles Sharpe

I forgot to ask how old were the signals that some of you sent back to Marklin. The problem I might have is the dealer I bought some of them from died 2 years ago.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline river6109  
#31 Posted : 23 November 2013 23:49:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Charles, what an annoying issue, I hope you can sort it out

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Harvey  
#32 Posted : 24 November 2013 04:08:11(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Charles

What do you mean by 'freezing'? Is this as simple as 'the signal does not change color and does not perform any function'. From my earlier post, it sounds like this is my problem. If the signal is red, it will not stop the loc (unless, I hit stop and thus somehow refresh something). I had not heard of a V3 (I have V2's - or definitely not V1).

Hope this works for you and I will discuss this with my hobby store and Jeff (Marklin US rep). I had never called Marklin (Germany) about this, thinking there was to be a CS2 upgrade. Sounds like it is more a decoder upgrade. Just odd, that the problem I have is any signal I place in one location (any is really just me trying two) and having this issue. Even sounds odd that only some V2's have this problem. But, it also sounds like it worth trying to get fixed.

Regards

Harvey
Offline blid  
#33 Posted : 24 November 2013 11:31:09(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
Charles,
The first batch of 35 signals (for my first layout) is from 2004. The second batch of 18 signals for the next layout is from 2011 - November 2012. The first batch was sent back to Marklin for upgrade to V 2.0. AFAIK the second batch is V 2.0. I became aware of the problems when I changed from 60213 to 60215 in July 2011. 8 signals still don’t always respond to commands as expected. The 60215 has now the latest upgrade 3.0.1. I was asked to only send the boards (platine) to Marklin to get them fixed. I have got two back, but am still waiting for the next two (since Jan 2012). That’s why I was given the two boards in Nov 2012 – one working OK, the other not. By then the C-track turnout motors turned out to be a bigger problem. After replacing about 10 of 104 motors, I realized that I wouldn’t keep up. I am now taking layout two down for a smaller and more accessible layout.
Regards,
Bjorn
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by blid
Offline charles Sharpe  
#34 Posted : 24 November 2013 13:43:39(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hi.

I think I will give Marklin a call tomorrow and talk to the service dept and see what they have to say and get some idea how long the update will take.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline charles Sharpe  
#35 Posted : 24 November 2013 13:47:57(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Charles

What do you mean by 'freezing'? Is this as simple as 'the signal does not change color and does not perform any function'. From my earlier post, it sounds like this is my problem. If the signal is red, it will not stop the loc (unless, I hit stop and thus somehow refresh something). I had not heard of a V3 (I have V2's - or definitely not V1).

Hope this works for you and I will discuss this with my hobby store and Jeff (Marklin US rep). I had never called Marklin (Germany) about this, thinking there was to be a CS2 upgrade. Sounds like it is more a decoder upgrade. Just odd, that the problem I have is any signal I place in one location (any is really just me trying two) and having this issue. Even sounds odd that only some V2's have this problem. But, it also sounds like it worth trying to get fixed.

Regards

Harvey

Hello Havey.

What I really mean is they are not consistent at all. As you will form my thread all working one day next day only 4 working the next day they will work and 6 more will go down. They are not fit for purpose over £700.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Goofy  
#36 Posted : 25 November 2013 09:15:40(UTC)
Goofy

A simple question...
Do you have any digital locomotivs still in function,like lighting when you program color signals?
If yours CS2 still send data information to the digital locomotivs,there will been disturb by program color signals.
Hopefully this may help...
H0
Offline charles Sharpe  
#37 Posted : 25 November 2013 17:05:45(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello Anders.

Yes I do. There is nothing in the instructions to say remove all locs from track or switch off all there functions.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Goofy  
#38 Posted : 25 November 2013 19:57:24(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: charles Sharpe Go to Quoted Post
Hello Anders.

Yes I do. There is nothing in the instructions to say remove all locs from track or switch off all there functions.

Charles.

In the manual page.7 it stands that no locomotivs may not running or use with programming under the procedure.

H0
Offline charles Sharpe  
#39 Posted : 25 November 2013 22:22:42(UTC)
charles Sharpe

I have never had a loco running when we were trying to program any of the signals. That's is not to say I had turned all there light off.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline charles Sharpe  
#40 Posted : 25 November 2013 22:28:21(UTC)
charles Sharpe

I hope to have all the signals on there way back to Marklin by this time next week. There service depts phone has been out of action today so I put a call into the insider club. The lady was very helpfull and has taken all the details and the service dept will call me on Wednesday.

CharlesBigGrin
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Goofy  
#41 Posted : 26 November 2013 09:26:25(UTC)
Goofy

I have never had a loco running when we were trying to program any of the signals. That's is not to say I had turned all there light off.

Charles.

It´s data information that must be clear to the digital signals.
When you have something use with CS2 or MS2, the signals becomes interupt.
Yesterday i did tested signal with CS2 and there was no function,while other signal it did worked.(at hobby store)
So i guess they did mistake when they did programmed default signal.
Let´s see when Marklins new digital signals arrive out.
Perhaps this time they work better...
H0
Offline charles Sharpe  
#42 Posted : 30 November 2013 07:01:17(UTC)
charles Sharpe

I hope to have all the signals on there way back to Marklin by this time next week. There service depts phone has been out of action today so I put a call into the insider club. The lady was very helpfull and has taken all the details and the service dept will call me on Wednesday.

CharlesBigGrin

Hi.

As promised the lady from the service dept called me I explained about all the problems I have been having with the signals. I also explained that the dealer I bought them from in the UK has died so she suggested I box them up and send them in. I asked how long would they be and doing the update and she told me by the end on Jan 2014 at the latest. So tuesday they will be removed from track and boxed up for wednesday pick up for over night to marklin.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline JOEBEL  
#43 Posted : 07 December 2013 11:39:29(UTC)
JOEBEL

I confirm the post from Steamer01 on 16 NOv 2013

I have had several contacts with the Marklin Hotline Belgium regarding this issue. And I am now very happy that the hotline gave me the right explanations and the right solution (Well I had to insist a bit...The fact that these 763XX signals did not work properly drove me mad). It is a real pity that Maerklin does not make this kind of information public.

Problems with 763XX signals are linked with the version of the firmware which is in the decoder. If the firmware is still 2.0 and the 763XX's are directly connected to the CS2, a maximum of 7 signals will work properly

There are 2 solutions to the problem

1) connect all your 763XX V2.0 to a 6021. And get the 6021 connected via a CONNECT 6021 (reference 60128) to the CS2. In that case there is no limitation to the number of 763XX V2.0 which can be used. I have got this design and I have around 30 763XX V2.0 working perfectly.

2) either you send the signal decoders back to Marklin (not very easy ...) and ask Marklin to upgrade the firmware to V3.0. I had two signals upgraded by Maerklin in August 2012 (they were still in their packaging box, I had not yet used them, so I sent the two boxes). If the firmware is V3.0 there is no limitation to the number of 763XX V3.0 which can be connected directly to the CS2.

Joebel

Edited by user 08 December 2013 12:15:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by JOEBEL
Offline H0  
#44 Posted : 07 December 2013 14:19:53(UTC)
H0

Hi!

This thread is a bit confusing.

The new mfx signals haven't been shipped yet.

The signals discussed here (requiring the V3 update) are non-mfx signals.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline et1  
#45 Posted : 08 December 2013 00:56:18(UTC)
et1

United States   
Hello

I have been following this thread for some time now, how can you tell if you have V3.0 platines? Is there a special marking on it?
I'm currently using my older CS not reloaded (60212) with an Ecosboost booster to run my 18 76*** series signals without any problems.
I have my CS2 connected to the CS through a router which also is connected to my laptop to run the Windigipet software program. With this
setup I haven't had any problems with the signals.

Thanks to Joebel for the information direct from the Maerklin Hotline in Belgium. I may have to dig up my 6021 as well:-)

Aloha,

Elliott
Elliott
CS2 4.1.2 (3), CS 2.04, 6021, 3x 60174 Boosters, L88, 2x 60881, 13x 6088(0) ,Windigipet 2015 Premium, Marklin K-track layout (in progress)
Offline JOEBEL  
#46 Posted : 08 December 2013 10:20:28(UTC)
JOEBEL

Originally Posted by: et1 Go to Quoted Post
Hello

I have been following this thread for some time now, how can you tell if you have V3.0 platines? Is there a special marking on it?
I'm currently using my older CS not reloaded (60212) with an Ecosboost booster to run my 18 76*** series signals without any problems.
I have my CS2 connected to the CS through a router which also is connected to my laptop to run the Windigipet software program. With this
setup I haven't had any problems with the signals.

Thanks to Joebel for the information direct from the Maerklin Hotline in Belgium. I may have to dig up my 6021 as well:-)

Aloha,

Elliott

On some packagings there is a sticker v2.0 in red (see attachment)
File Attachment(s):
76xxx.pdf (140kb) downloaded 43 time(s).
Offline jeehring  
#47 Posted : 08 December 2013 15:18:43(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: JOEBEL Go to Quoted Post

...(...)...
1) connect all your 763XX V2.0 to a 6021. And get the 6021 connected via a CONNECT 6021 (reference 60128) to the CS2. In that case there is no limitation to the number of 763XX V2.0 which can be used. I have got this design and I have around 30 763XX V2.0 working perfectly.
...(...)...

Joebel

Excuse me Joebel, do you mean we can connect those signals through 60128 to
1/ 6021 + transformer ? or single 6021 without transformer ?
2/ Do we need the old keyboard too....yes or not ?
3/ could you confirm we can use them through the CS2 Memory & Keyboard ?
4/ Finally means that we can use the 6021 just as a connector for signals ?
thank you
Offline xxup  
#48 Posted : 08 December 2013 21:14:28(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I am still running v1 signals.. I feed them through a 6017 booster so there is no mFx or DCC communication to the signals.. They seem to work fine. Unfortunately they are not cat proof and I have managed to lose two signals this way.. RollEyes
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline JOEBEL  
#49 Posted : 09 December 2013 21:23:25(UTC)
JOEBEL

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: JOEBEL Go to Quoted Post

...(...)...
...(...)...

MY ANSWERS after >>

Joebel

Excuse me Joebel, do you mean we can connect those signals through 60128 to
1/ 6021 + transformer ? or single 6021 without transformer ?
>> in my design, the 6021 is powered by a transformer 60052 (dedicated to the 6021). For the exchange of the "digital information", the link to the CS2 is done via a 60128 and a 60125

2/ Do we need the old keyboard too....yes or not ?
>> No because the programming is done via the CS2. So you do not need a keyboard like the 6040.

3/ could you confirm we can use them through the CS2 Memory & Keyboard ?
>> Yes. The 6021 is just a slave of the CS2 (which "transforms" the digital message from the CS2 so that it can be processed by as many as 763XX v2.0 signals). All my 763xx signals are shown on the display of CS2 and can be activated from the CS2 (keyboard or layout). All the routes are created on the memory of the CS2

4/ Finally means that we can use the 6021 just as a connector for signals ?
>> Yes. In my design I use a (slave to the CS2) 6021 to trigger all the electromagnetic device (K83, K84, turnouts and 763xx v2.0 signals). Power to the track is provided by a booster 60174.

thank you
Offline et1  
#50 Posted : 11 December 2013 01:22:14(UTC)
et1

United States   
Hello Joebel,

Thank you for the Picture, I do understand that the box has a V2.0 on it, I was actually asking about the firmware upgrade to V3.0.

Quote:
2) either you send the signal decoders back to Marklin (not very easy ...) and ask Marklin to upgrade the firmware to V3.0. I had two signals upgraded by Maerklin in August 2012 (they were still in their packaging box, I had not yet used them, so I sent the two boxes). If the firmware is V3.0 there is no limitation to the number of 763XX V3.0 which can be connected directly to the CS2.

Is there a way to tell if the firmware on the platine is V3.0?

Thank you,
Elliott
CS2 4.1.2 (3), CS 2.04, 6021, 3x 60174 Boosters, L88, 2x 60881, 13x 6088(0) ,Windigipet 2015 Premium, Marklin K-track layout (in progress)