Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline TomB  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2012 10:46:00(UTC)
TomB

Hello

I don't know if that would be good news or not, but the biggest toy producer in Germany the Simba-Dickie Gruppe (Bobby-Cars), Schuco and other firms have
negotiated with Pluta for some months and they are reading the books accountings from Märklin.
They expect the negotiations going on until february or march 2013.

http://www.sueddeutsche....in-uebernehmen-1.1522619

http://www.wn.de/Welt/Wi...ill-Maerklin-uebernehmen

http://www.br.de/franken...dickie-maerklin-100.html

http://wirtschaft.t-onli...erklin/id_60904280/index

Edited by user 15 November 2012 06:47:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tom Blikstad
HO, german/swiss trains, Märklin K+C, ECoS I+II,
Viessmann, Kühn, MBTronik, WinDigipet 2012, WinTrack 11
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TomB
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2012 14:38:18(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Simba-Dickie is to takeover Marklin?

German Text http://www.spielzeuginte...hen-in-richtung-marklin/

Google translate

Fürth/Göppingen. The Bobby-car-manufacturer Simba Dickie wants to take over the marklin model Railroaders. As the "Süddeutsche Zeitung" (Wednesdays Edition) reported the Fürth-based Simba Dickie group negotiated exclusively with the former Märklin insolvency administrator Michael Pluta. A memorandum of understanding on the purchase had already been signed, the sheet quoted a company spokeswoman. Simba-Dickie owner Michael Sieber told the newspaper he was expecting with a conclusion of the takeover talks in February or March 2013. Nothing is known about a possible purchase price. Manager of the family-owned company inspect the Märklin balance sheets these days. The objective is to attract back the brand for children, as well as for collectors of model trains, so Sambo. Märklin went into bankruptcy in 2009, but then managed the renovation of its own power. The company is one the creditor banks Goldman Sachs, BW-Bank Kreissparkasse Göppingen since then mainly. Well 900 people work at the headquarters in Göppingen and in Györ. 2011, sales amounted to €109 million. The Simba Dickie group is Germany's largest toy manufacturer. To the family-owned company (3,700 workers, 640 million euros sales 2011) is one of a dozen famous toy brands such as BIG (Bobby-car), SCHUCO (model vehicles), and foreign brands like Smoby.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline hennabm  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2012 15:15:02(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Stephen

Well is this good news or not?

Will the new company (if it hppens) continue to support the older models and what will they produce to attract the younger generations.Confused

Will it mean a cheapening of the product?

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline aos  
#4 Posted : 14 November 2012 15:34:59(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
It would be nice if Märklin were to put out some sort of publicity statement regarding the proposed take-over. Alan
Offline witzlerh  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2012 15:41:19(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I think that the MyWorld idea is the best children's model train initiative in the industry. No one in NA has anything close to this. They would be wise to keep it.

Edited by user 15 November 2012 03:07:06(UTC)  | Reason: Correct typo

Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline Marius in Africa  
#6 Posted : 14 November 2012 17:30:05(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
Hi Stephen

Well is this good news or not?

Will the new company (if it hppens) continue to support the older models and what will they produce to attract the younger generations.Confused

Will it mean a cheapening of the product?

Mike

The way i look at it it is quite simple, adapt or die with your existing (and diminishing) customer base. This is basic business philosophy and every long term company have had to face this hurdle. The models and items which sells and generates income will be the items which are produced.

Marius
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline danmarklinman  
#7 Posted : 14 November 2012 17:32:13(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Simba-Dickie is to takeover Marklin?

German Text http://www.spielzeuginte...hen-in-richtung-marklin/

Google translate

Fürth/Göppingen. The Bobby-car-manufacturer Simba Dickie wants to take over the marklin model Railroaders. As the "Süddeutsche Zeitung" (Wednesdays Edition) reported the Fürth-based Simba Dickie group negotiated exclusively with the former Märklin insolvency administrator Michael Pluta. A memorandum of understanding on the purchase had already been signed, the sheet quoted a company spokeswoman. Simba-Dickie owner Michael Sieber told the newspaper he was expecting with a conclusion of the takeover talks in February or March 2013. Nothing is known about a possible purchase price. Manager of the family-owned company inspect the Märklin balance sheets these days. The objective is to attract back the brand for children, as well as for collectors of model trains, so Sambo. Märklin went into bankruptcy in 2009, but then managed the renovation of its own power. The company is one the creditor banks Goldman Sachs, BW-Bank Kreissparkasse Göppingen since then mainly. Well 900 people work at the headquarters in Göppingen and in Györ. 2011, sales amounted to €109 million. The Simba Dickie group is Germany's largest toy manufacturer. To the family-owned company (3,700 workers, 640 million euros sales 2011) is one of a dozen famous toy brands such as BIG (Bobby-car), SCHUCO (model vehicles), and foreign brands like Smoby.

As they make dicast vehicles i should think that Marklin will be ok as Schuco are nice models. bu its good news in my book as its not a Bank!BigGrin
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 14 November 2012 18:01:37(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Schuco miniature model cars and trucks have for years been made in China. As far as Maerklin, I have not reason not to believe that the company would also outsource the manufacturing of model train models to a greater degree than the current administration. If the new company would make a pledge to keep the production in it's current locations, this would go a long way towards reassuring me.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 14 November 2012 20:34:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
No need for 2 threads on the same topic, so I have merged them both,
Offline steventrain  
#10 Posted : 14 November 2012 20:48:53(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Simba-Dickie is buying in Trix/LGB, Not only Marklin.

German text http://www.swr.de/nachri...584084/g3t0wn/index.html

The "Süddeutsche Zeitung" (Wednesdays Edition) had reported that it upon sale to the brand not only Märklin, but go to the subsidiaries of Trix and LGB.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#11 Posted : 14 November 2012 21:20:14(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

The banks are not into making models, and want their money back, and that is their only reason for selling.

I would believe there is a synergy to this Simba group acquiring Marklin. The experience of, and the widening of distribution to, many different wholesale and retail outlets is probably a PLUS for the Marklin/Trix/LGB brand.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline BrandonVA  
#12 Posted : 14 November 2012 21:41:11(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
This is interesting. I do not know anything about the company leading the acquisition, but I think it should probably be a good thing they already have experience in the toy market and are family owned.

-Brandon
Offline nilkram58  
#13 Posted : 14 November 2012 22:01:05(UTC)
nilkram58

Greece   
If it's good or not remains to be seen.
Certainly, from my perspective as a modeller, the acquisition and/or merging with a similar model train manufacturer, such as for e.g., Rocco, Fleischmann, etc. would have made more sense, or, even better, a management buy-out led for e.g. by the current Managing Director Mr. Stefan Lobich. In this case, the continuity and the focus of Marklin to the models and the quality we are all used to, would be have been better guaranteed.
If the current, successful IMHO, management is going to be absorbed or fired by the acquiring company, then it will be difficult for Marklin to maintain the today's momentum.
However, I understand that neither of the two above options are offering hot cash to the lending banks, so, these solutions are difficult to be implemented.
So, the best we can hope for, is that the acquiring company leaves intact the today's management and the corporate structure of Marklin, and only charge them on set performances and pre-agreed by both sides Key Performance Indicators.

Akis
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nilkram58
Offline mike187  
#14 Posted : 15 November 2012 23:05:28(UTC)
mike187

United States   
From Sima Dickies wen page......

"One thing is clear for Florian Sieber: “The production sector will become more and more important in the company in the coming years as well.” The Simba Dickie Group could therefore continue to grow in the future while simultaneously making itself independent of the Far East, which has been leading the toy production sector so far. Other aspects indicating the expansion of production in Europe include higher flexibility due to shorter transport routes and better monitoring of the entire supply chain in order to guarantee the best quality and ensure capacities in the future as well. Communication is also simpler within the Group due to the geographic proximity. It is therefore another step towards the future of the Group."
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike187
Offline Frankenbahner  
#15 Posted : 16 November 2012 11:53:35(UTC)
Frankenbahner

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

The banks are not into making models, and want their money back, and that is their only reason for selling.

I would believe there is a synergy to this Simba group acquiring Marklin. The experience of, and the widening of distribution to, many different wholesale and retail outlets is probably a PLUS for the Marklin/Trix/LGB brand.

regards
Kimball

I completely agree. The distribution of model trains has to be widened again, in order to attract new customers. Currently, this stuff is sold mostly by very specialized stores. But their number is dwindling, and these are not the kind of stores which will generate the new customers the model train industry so urgently needs (not only Märklin, but all the others too). Even many local toy stores have closed their model train departments.

I think the takeover by Simba-Dickie means good news. Especially if LGB and Trix will return home again (for these two brands, "home" means Nurmberg/Fürth, and not Göppingen).

Regards,
Florian
H0 3-rail AC with DCC, MM and mfx, 2-rail DC streetcars, and N gauge
Offline nilkram58  
#16 Posted : 16 November 2012 12:29:56(UTC)
nilkram58

Greece   
Originally Posted by: mike187 Go to Quoted Post
From Sima Dickies wen page......

"One thing is clear for Florian Sieber: “The production sector will become more and more important in the company in the coming years as well.” The Simba Dickie Group could therefore continue to grow in the future while simultaneously making itself independent of the Far East, which has been leading the toy production sector so far. Other aspects indicating the expansion of production in Europe include higher flexibility due to shorter transport routes and better monitoring of the entire supply chain in order to guarantee the best quality and ensure capacities in the future as well. Communication is also simpler within the Group due to the geographic proximity. It is therefore another step towards the future of the Group."

This is certainly good news, since this was also the strategies that Marklin followed in order to recover from insolvency. So, it seems that their strategy is at least aligned, a fact that could possibly lead to leave the same management in Marklin !

Akis
Offline GlennM  
#17 Posted : 16 November 2012 12:39:22(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   

I know very little of the company concerned, but it is my opinion that Marklin and its subsidiaries stand a better chance within a toy company framework than belonging to a faceless greedy bank.

Fingers crossed

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline hxmiesa  
#18 Posted : 20 November 2012 10:21:25(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Going back to the toy-business sounds very good to me!
Märklin is already doing it the hard way by themselves; This year, for the first time in a decade, did I see Märklin sold in the toy shops in the high streets of Copenhagen!
With Simba-Dickie this tendency could be strengthened further!
I am not comfortable with the groups being "family-owned"; Wasnt that kind of organisation the root-cause for the administrative problems of the "old" Märklin¿?
Production in China is what I would see minimized as much as posible. -For SO many reasons...
Can we see the fact that somebody is seriously considering buying as a sign of generally good times to come (I mean; for the whole world and the economic crisis) ¿?
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#19 Posted : 21 November 2012 11:17:03(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

If Simba Dickie buys Marklin,I'll be happy

I am still in GRRRRR MODE about 39017
Offline kweekalot  
#20 Posted : 21 November 2012 11:41:58(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi IloveMarklin37538.

Just wondering what this Japanese video and song (Mochizuki Kokuriko-zaka Kara Sayonara no Natsu) has to do with this topic ?? Confused

Marco