Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jeehring  
#1 Posted : 26 August 2012 03:31:59(UTC)
jeehring

Today we had a close look at the new set ref 26731 which had just arrived ...
I was very interested in a second D XII with a new number to make double pulling with D XII ref 37135 (even with DXII in brown livery). This original TRIX model never had a great pulling power and was not always very tolerant towards an incorrectly adjusted track, owners could confirm it I think.
I must say that I am very happy, even though I'm not a fan of plastic models, but this little steamer is so cute, I could not resist. The other piece of the set that caught my attention is the beer wagon: very cute too.
But the real surprise is the changes in the design of the model. While 37135 was a pure TRIX model on which a slider was added , 26731 has a new frame, very different and optimized for 3 rails track. This frame is a completely new tooling.
While 37135 had an enclosed cabin, the 26731 has an open cab: one thinks there is a new more compact engine which now frees up space in the cabin. But we are not sure if the motor has changed or not, as we didn't open the 37135 to see the old engine.
There is also a new type of slider : here the reason is obvious, mounting the new slider is a time saving. In addition this new type of slider is more flexible.
The livery on 26731 is a little bit more matt. ( it's better not to have the exact same aspect for 2 similar machines)

Edited by user 30 August 2012 12:39:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jeehring  
#2 Posted : 26 August 2012 15:59:08(UTC)
jeehring

I forgot something: through the openings of the chassis we have seen - or rather "guessed" - that the gear system was different too...(gears are still in metal)
Just now I had a look at the Marklin diagrams for spare parts which confirms that it is a new motor that looks more compact and differently positionned.
So , on the new 26731 we find a complete overhaul of the chassis and kinematics, obviously bringing more pulling power, I hope one day I could tell more about comparison tests of the 2 models. The former models had the reputation to be not well balanced (in terms of motion & mechanics)
The other result is a new look with an open cab with free space & no more curtains.

Edited by user 30 August 2012 12:43:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2012 22:28:36(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi Jeehring,

Thank you for pointing this - in my view - important improvement out! Well, in fairness, I don't know whether I should thank you for that, or blaming you for spending money on a third D XII ;)
It indeed is much more of a runner compared to its predecessors and is certainly worth having. Even more so considering the better appearance due to the open cab. Recommended addition to any era-I enthousiasts collection!

By the way; I really do not understand why Märklin decided not to mention this major overhaul of the tooling, to me it's a reason for buying and I guess I am not the only - potential - customer who thinks along these lines...

Cheers,
Sander
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
Offline jeehring  
#4 Posted : 30 September 2012 20:07:57(UTC)
jeehring

a friend bought this loco, I'm sorry to announce that this chassis is far from its promises.
Together we rolled this model, then we opened .... I'm sorry, I want to warn people that this is very far from what the review of a static model let appear . Big disappointment : It's just a real shit ....
By comparison : the former original TRIX model was better.
This new version is certainly NOT made, even NOT designed by TRIX / MARKLIN . It comes from a subcontractor, there is no doubt about it !
I understand now, why this complete " new tooling " was not announced by Marklin ( they just have mentionned a "new motor",...)
From the outside the model is beautiful, but the production & manufacturing quality is poor ... and strangely looks like Liliput (by Bachmann & Kader of course ....or an imitator of Lilliput/Kader ! )
I have no time, I will come back later, to give more details and explanations....
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline jeehring  
#5 Posted : 01 October 2012 21:01:17(UTC)
jeehring

...I want to make a precision: I speak of the model with new chassis. This model is included in the new set 26731 .
We have done comparison tests simultaneously: the reference 37135 and the other mfx version with brown livery (don't remember the reference) work much better, and above all are better built.(quality of design and quality of mounting). In fact their main weakness is their lack of pulling power...(don't expect to pull long trains...)
However the 37135 is motorola , but it's OK for me.

The only positive aspect of the new model 26731 over the old is the removal of the curtains and the open cab with space.
thank you for your attention.
More details later.
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#6 Posted : 20 October 2012 19:25:49(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi Jeehring,

Even though I do not like to do it, I have to agree the loco is not as good as I was hoping it to be. You're right, it is not exactly a superb puller. I've conducted some pulling tests, it looks like it does run okay when pulling a set of about five cars (sufficient for a prototypical consist with a D XII in era I) on its rear hook. If however, this very same consist is hooked onto the front coupler of the loco, it is not capable of pulling the cars through a curve. Such an attempt ends in constantly slipping wheels. Perhaps I'll think of a way to resolve this, but I am afraid this loco is from now on condemned to pulling a very small train on a very flat layout. I guess you're right it is for the 'better' that Märklin does not mention changing the design of the loco after all. Sigh...

Cheers,
Sander
---
Offline jeehring  
#7 Posted : 22 October 2012 02:39:21(UTC)
jeehring

yes Sander, it was a disappointment for me, just because, as time goes by the more I like the shape of this old steamer, and I was imagining Era I or early Era II sceneries with several of them beside bigger steamers...

When we removed the model out of its box we immediately noticed something: no trace of oil on the axle. From the outside, everything was dry ..
Once on rails: it starts to plod along noisily accompanied by a humming decoder "BZZZ BZZZ", typically a decoder which compensates .... After half a minute we start to hear a popping sound "klong klong" .... . STOP, we decided to open it, and then confirmation: transmission, wheel axles, gears, worn gear, everything was dry, no trace of oil. My friend put it aside for a serious lubrication and tests ...
At this point I'm not worried: it's just a model they forgot to grease ...Cool

A few days later and after greasing, it gets better, no more "klong klong", no more "BZZZ BZZZ" (or so low) from the decoder... despite all , the loco rolls but we feel that something is not right .. It seems to be moving with effort, there is a slight waddle ..... so, we'll get the previous version in brown livery. By comparing the brown loco seems to glide on the rails ... Then we understand :
While on the former model the axles of the wheels slide perfectly transversaly, it is not the case on the new model . Only the axle of one of two large wheels has a lateral play , but this play is hard and it blocks, it doesn't move freely.
The worst is coming : there is not any vertical play on any of the four axles which is the real problem (I don't talk about the bissel).
The loco runs on 4 axles (2 large + 2 small wheels), 3 of them have no vertical play (6 wheels). We all know the problem with rigid axles: no more than 3 points on the same plane. (Here we have 6 wheels).
The brown version with old chassis : everywhere there is some vertical play.

That's why I said this is a wrong design ...Usually, Marklin models are the best rollers, I have never seen Marklin chassis without any play, they never did this kind of mechanical error...Once the model was opened : any "Marklinist" can notice that it is not a Marklin design....May be it's a wrong manufacturing ?
The only hope: perhaps after a long long running, the wear of mechanical parts will allow some play of the axles...but when ?

To Sander & any owner of this set, I would like to know if they observed the same defects ...?

Edited by user 22 October 2012 10:49:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Sander van Wijk  
#8 Posted : 22 October 2012 14:16:42(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi Jeehring,

Thanks for your elaborate reply! I have only tested my model briefly and am positive that mine is lubricated alright, I guess I would have noticed if not. Regarding the vertical play in this models axles I cannot be that certain as I have only tested it on a rather level layout. I'll carry out some specific tests later this week, probably not earlier than this saturday and fear for the worst in this respect...

I'll keep you informed!
Sander
---
Offline jeehring  
#9 Posted : 22 October 2012 17:45:43(UTC)
jeehring

..Thank you Sander...The more confortable , if you can, is to make simultaneous comparison with former #37135 or with the brown unit from the set 26535...So we can notice any difference.
Your test will be very interesting to know if our model was only a deficient unit by accident or if it is a more serious design/manufacturing problem...

I forgot to mention another point: the metal buffers. Metal quality is horrible. The surface of the buffers is irregular & full of flaws. The material is of poor quality and different from the usual material, which lead me again to think that this model was not manufactured in a Marklin factory. Comparison with previous models buffers is merciless .
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#10 Posted : 28 October 2012 14:30:56(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Finally have had a chance to make some comparisons which, I am afraid, confirm your suspicions partly. The vertical play of the axles of the new 26731 is indeed less than the older D XII models and limited to practically zero. Upshot of my comparisons is that I have not found a serious difference in metal quality of the buffers. They seem to be more or less the same, even though the new 26731's buffers are a little less darkened compared to my older 26535.

In short; the running issues seem to be an issue for the entire range, whereas the buffer quality might be a one-off issue.

Cheers,

Sander
---