Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sevs  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2012 22:49:49(UTC)
sevs

Norway   
Okay, I'm pretty much a noob at this. This is my first conversion. I know a bit about electronics. I have 5 märklin locomotives, where 2 is working properly. This loco is NOT one of them, BigGrin I got it from eBay, with a broken reverse coil, so I opened it and unsoldereed like everything.

I want it to run on both a digital layout and an analog layout, and I might want it to smoke, and I wonder if this is possible on both analog and digital or delta circuits. There is a drum-style commutator. Laugh
I want it to be pretty cheap, too. Cool

Thanks for any advice,
Jon Håvard

(Dear Webmaster, please move this wherever you want.)

Edited by user 02 August 2012 02:33:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards, Jon Håvard :)
Offline tulit  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2012 03:28:16(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
This one is an easy one to convert. One of the cheapest/quickest way is to just pick up the Marklin 60760 conversion kit. Cost is only about 35 euro for everything you'll need.
It includes the parts to upgrade the motor to a 5 pole high eff. plus a decent, but basic decoder. I'd stay away from Delta if you can.

It'll work fine on both digital as well as analog layouts.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tulit
Offline franciscohg  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2012 03:53:00(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Originally Posted by: tulit Go to Quoted Post
This one is an easy one to convert. One of the cheapest/quickest way is to just pick up the Marklin 60760 conversion kit. Cost is only about 35 euro for everything you'll need.
It includes the parts to upgrade the motor to a 5 pole high eff. plus a decent, but basic decoder. I'd stay away from Delta if you can.

agreed, but....
no function to add the smoke unit.
another option is the 60760 withouth the decoder, always at sale on ebay. and buy the decoder of your preference.
you can add the smoke unit right now or do it later....
cheers
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline sevs  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2012 15:07:47(UTC)
sevs

Norway   

This is the kit I was thinking of using at first, but I did'nt know if it worked on both analog and digital. Thanks!

Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post

agreed, but....
another option is the 60760 withouth the decoder, always at sale on ebay. and buy the decoder of your preference.
you can add the smoke unit right now or do it later....
cheers

The smoke unit is not really important for me right now. Thanks!

------------

I think I'll go for the 60760 kit, and if I need to add a smoke unit later, then I'll just buy another decoder. The most important is to get it on the track, running. :)

But... Another question.. Is it possible to have a smoke unit working in both analog and digital mode?

EDIT: I forgot... Is there any switch or DIPswitches to switch between analog and digital mode, or is this fully automatic?
Offline eroncelli  
#5 Posted : 31 July 2012 15:48:38(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
All decoders recognize automatically when they are fed in analogue mode (only old Delta decoders needed a special set-up of dip switches).
Modern decoders have the possibility to switch many functions also when in analogue mode: need to check the manual of each decoder.

The decoder included in 60760 kit have the possibility to add functions, but it requires some experience in electronics: if you are still interested, I'll send you a dedicated link
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by eroncelli
Offline sevs  
#6 Posted : 31 July 2012 15:50:36(UTC)
sevs

Norway   
Originally Posted by: eroncelli Go to Quoted Post
All decoders recognize automatically when they are fed in analogue mode (only old Delta decoders needed a special set-up of dip switches).
Modern decoders have the possibility to switch many functions also when in analogue mode: need to check the manual of each decoder.

The decoder included in 60760 kit have the possibility to add functions, but it requires some experience in electronics: if you are still interested, I'll send you a dedicated link

I'm interested, thanks for the answer :)
Offline tulit  
#7 Posted : 31 July 2012 16:58:12(UTC)
tulit

Canada   

agreed, but....

Although it may not be strictly recommended (there's likely some risk you may damage the decoder as there's no overcurrent protection on these), I have successfully run smoke units on this decoder by connecting it to the front light output. Seems to work fine. I measured the current draw of the smoke generator and it was well under the max rating of the light output. So if you really wanted smoke, it is possible.

Offline sevs  
#8 Posted : 31 July 2012 17:06:59(UTC)
sevs

Norway   

agreed, but....

Although it may not be strictly recommended (there's likely some risk you may damage the decoder as there's no overcurrent protection on these), I have successfully run smoke units on this decoder by connecting it to the front light output. Seems to work fine. I measured the current draw of the smoke generator and it was well under the max rating of the light output. So if you really wanted smoke, it is possible.

Thanks a lot. Do you think they got these decoders in stores, or do I have to buy them online?
Offline sevs  
#9 Posted : 31 July 2012 17:18:01(UTC)
sevs

Norway   

agreed, but....

I just read this post: https://www.marklin-user...problem---need-help.aspx

"tiono" says that there is an external output, I wonder if this is activated in analog mode?

Edit: Sorry for double posting.
Offline tulit  
#10 Posted : 31 July 2012 17:50:16(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Originally Posted by: sevs Go to Quoted Post

agreed, but....

Thanks a lot. Do you think they got these decoders in stores, or do I have to buy them online?

Not too sure. All of my local Marklin dealers always stock them. I think it's a pretty common/popular item.

Offline sevs  
#11 Posted : 31 July 2012 17:59:43(UTC)
sevs

Norway   

agreed, but....

Not too sure. All of my local Marklin dealers always stock them. I think it's a pretty common/popular item.

Thanks! Laugh

Oh, and if I want an electronic Relex coupling, is there any more outputs? Laugh

Edited by user 01 August 2012 15:48:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 31 July 2012 20:01:35(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline sevs  
#13 Posted : 31 July 2012 20:10:26(UTC)
sevs

Norway   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum.ThumpUp

Thanks, Steven. I've seen some of your posts before I got to be a member here. Wink
Be safe. Cool

Regards, Jon Håvard
Offline tulit  
#14 Posted : 31 July 2012 22:49:01(UTC)
tulit

Canada   

agreed, but....

Thanks! Laugh

Oh, and if I want an electronic Telex coupling, is there any more outputs? Laugh

Only if you do the hardware hacks you linked to already. If you're looking for more outputs, including a proper smoke output, you might want to jump to one of the ESU decoders, or something from the Marklin mLD line. They aren't too expensive either (decoder price alone is probably in the 40 euro range). You can always start with the basic decoder in the 60760 kit and easily upgrade to something better (maybe even with sound) in the future if you decide you really like the train. That is what I usually do.

Note the 60760 kit is a pretty good value since it includes the motor upgrade which you need too -- basically you almost get the included decoder for free.

Offline sevs  
#15 Posted : 01 August 2012 15:51:31(UTC)
sevs

Norway   

agreed, but....

Thanks! Laugh

Oh, and if I want an electronic Relex coupling, is there any more outputs? Laugh

Only if you do the hardware hacks you linked to already. If you're looking for more outputs, including a proper smoke output, you might want to jump to one of the ESU decoders, or something from the Marklin mLD line. They aren't too expensive either (decoder price alone is probably in the 40 euro range). You can always start with the basic decoder in the 60760 kit and easily upgrade to something better (maybe even with sound) in the future if you decide you really like the train. That is what I usually do.

Note the 60760 kit is a pretty good value since it includes the motor upgrade which you need too -- basically you almost get the included decoder for free.

Yeah, you're right. I'l go for the 60760 anyway, and I think I'll upgrade it with sound and new couplers in the future, probably next year. Laugh
Offline HARNO  
#16 Posted : 02 August 2012 03:25:36(UTC)
HARNO

United States   
Hello Jon

if you try to rebuild the first time i would go with the 60760, i did Smile . They are very easy and simple to install and for me with not to much experience it was the best to go for. So far i did three conversations ( Marklin 3042, 3155 and today a V36 from set 28631) All worked great and without any problems. The V36 was a little bit tricky because of space but still it runs great ( even with just one little 1/3 of the bar on the MS2 it moved).
Just make sure when you have everything apart that your gears are very easy to turn and nothing is dirty or to loose. Give everything a good clean and then assemble it.

Greetings Harno
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by HARNO
Offline nevw  
#17 Posted : 02 August 2012 04:54:59(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
ESU lokpilot decoders are about 27 euro inc VAT MWST or whatever. that is lokshop price.

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline intruder  
#18 Posted : 06 August 2012 20:40:46(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Hei Jon Håvard

Amundsen Hobby in Oslo, http://www.amundsenhobby.no/webshop/index.php, sells the 60760 conversion sets for kr. 390,00, which is not so bad.

I have used some of them in my conversions, e.g. the Märklin 3145, SNCF Y 50 101 (identical to DB V36).
see http://www.saebonet.com/svein/Tog/sites/EU/3145.htm,

Edited by user 07 August 2012 20:22:13(UTC)  | Reason: Typing error

Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by intruder
Offline sevs  
#19 Posted : 07 August 2012 19:50:19(UTC)
sevs

Norway   
Originally Posted by: intruder Go to Quoted Post
Hei Jon Håvard

Amundsen Hobby in Oslo, http://www.amundsenhobby.no/webshop/index.php, sels the 60760 conversion sets for kr. 390,00, which is not so bad.

Hei Svein

Most of my stuff is bought there, and it's not bad for such a decoder.

Originally Posted by: intruder Go to Quoted Post
I have used some of them in my conversions, e.g. the Märklin 3145, SNCF Y 50 101 (identical to DB V36).
see http://www.saebonet.com/svein/Tog/sites/EU/3145.htm,

I think I have seen it, great site ;)

Good luck :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sevs