Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Frankenbahner  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2012 21:20:13(UTC)
Frankenbahner

I recieved my Märklin # 37705 - a DB VT 75, about one week ago. It's the model of a diesel railcar, bulit by the Waggonfabrik Bautzen for the DRG in the 1930ies. These railcars were fitted with Daimler motors with a power output of 120 horsepowers, which was eventually increased to 135 horsepowers; they were able to run at a maximum speed of 75 km/h. The VT 75 was designed to replace steam trains on branchlines, as steam operation on these lines became more and more unprofitable by the 1930ies. Last units were withdrawn from service by the early 1960ies.

In H0 gauge, Trix released their first VT 75 model somewhere in the 1950ies, it still had milk glas windows, and was metal all over. Eventually, in the early 1980ies, this one was replaced by a more detailed version with a plastic body. Unfortunately, none of this models has ever been released as an AC version, neither by Trix, nor by Märklin. However, some dealers did offer converted models.

Then, in 2012, Märklin announced a VT 75 as new tooling.

The new Märklin model comes with a metal body an interior furnishings; the interior lights can be turned off / on with f1. It runs very smoothly; the gears, however, are clearly too loud for a sound model.

The detailing has been done nicely, there are many seperately fitted detailing parts; the only disadvantage in appearance is the capsule for the loudspeaker, which can be seen from outside through the railcar's windows.

When you operate the railcar coupled with the trailer, you only need the headlights / rearlights on the front of the train; the light at the "coupler end", i.e. that end of the railcar coupled to the trailer, can be switched of with f6.

The model comes with several sound features: motor sound, horn, bell, closing doors, etc.

Functions are;

f0: headlights
f1: interior lights
f2: operation sounds (motor)
f3: horn
f4: ABV off
f5: squealing brakes off
f6: headlights/marker lights off at coupler end
f7: bell
f8: doors being closed
f9: conductor whistle

Their are no sound effects, when you operate the model analog (compared to previous Märklin sound models, or to ESU sound decoders, where operation sounds also work analog).

My résumé: a nicley done model. From my point of view, this is even one of the most important new 2012 items, as prewar diesel railcars have just been neglected by the model train industry (often in favour of steamers...) for too long..

Regards,
Florian
H0 3-rail AC with DCC, MM and mfx, 2-rail DC streetcars, and N gauge
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Frankenbahner
Offline Frankenbahner  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2012 21:26:51(UTC)
Frankenbahner

These two pictures have been taken today, at Neustadt station:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,
Florian
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2012 21:34:00(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent review and pictures.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Ian555  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2012 13:20:25(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Florian,

Thanks for the review. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline Frankenbahner  
#5 Posted : 02 April 2012 15:50:38(UTC)
Frankenbahner

I still took two additional photos, with the lights on:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The appearance will still be improved by adding some passangers (which should be done at every model which has interior lighting).

Regards,
Florian
Offline sop  
#6 Posted : 02 April 2012 16:12:27(UTC)
sop

very nice frank
Offline jeehring  
#7 Posted : 02 April 2012 21:30:18(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: Frankenbahner Go to Quoted Post

...(...)...The new Märklin model comes with a metal body an interior furnishings; the interior lights can be turned off / on with f1. It runs very smoothly; the gears, however, are clearly too loud for a sound model.

...(...)....Regards,
Florian

Thank you Florian for the review and nice pictures...
However, for my part I didn't notice any disturbing gear noise, I have found it quite silent and smooth...The natural noise of wheels rolling on rails is much more loud...
Yes this is a nice model. Allow me to mention one or two more things,
One thing I like :
All details and all the superstructure on the roof with coolers + pipes are metal ! ThumpUp

One thing I'm not fond of :
The vertical handrails are plastic..Glare why ?...

Something I was puzzled about :
the varnish of the roof...they have tried to show up the metallic side of the roof...I don't know if I like it or not...

May be they have to improve the adjustment of separately applied detail on the roof,I'm not sure, I don't know how it is on the real machine. Molded parts are OK ...
I like those old railbus. Indubitably it is a very cute model. (With metal handrails this model would have reach the top level....)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#8 Posted : 03 April 2012 13:11:40(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanks so much Florian....I do so like this VT 75, looks VERY good with the lights on, as you say, needs a host of passengers!!
Joe
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#9 Posted : 03 April 2012 19:07:16(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
hi Florian,

Thanks for posting the review and photos - both are depressingly goodBigGrin BigGrin ThumpUp ThumpUp ,

Jeremy.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#10 Posted : 08 April 2012 12:22:53(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Floreian,
Thanks for the review and photos, looking forward to getting my one BigGrin
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider