Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 20-VOLT-AC  
#1 Posted : 25 March 2012 21:07:50(UTC)
20-VOLT-AC

United Kingdom   
Hi Guy's.

Is the RE 800 swiss loco the rarest H0 loco that Marklin made ? The prices are quite high for these.

If so why do you think this is ? .

Is it because they changed to the new RES 800 model with simpler drive mechanism in a short time period ?

Regards Neil.

20-VOLT-AC attached the following image(s):
RE800 & coaches 2.jpg
RE800 & coaches 4.jpg
1950's Marklin Fan .
Offline mj  
#2 Posted : 25 March 2012 23:19:18(UTC)
mj

Sweden   
No, the RE800 is not the "rarest" Märklin locomotive ever produced, although good examples fetch high prices. Though they were only produced during 1950-1953 (thereafter replaced by the RES800 which were replaced by the RET800). How you define rare is another question.

If you want rare then look after the E 800 LMS...
Magnus
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 26 March 2012 01:26:37(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: 20-VOLT-AC Go to Quoted Post
Hi Guy's.

Is the RE 800 swiss loco the rarest H0 loco that Marklin made ? The prices are quite high for these.

Is it because they changed to the new RES 800 model with simpler drive mechanism in a short time period ?

Regards Neil.

Hi Neil
My favorite Märklin loco!!!Love
These are quite rare (more than CCS 800 for instance!) and quite hard to find in a condition like the one on the picture
If the one you have there is original (paint etc.), do take good care, it is a beauty!
The rarity comes from the high original price: few people would be ready to buy these in the 50's: for the same amount of money (or even less!!) they could get and F 800, SK 800 or a G 800 which were so much "bigger".
The same reasoning applies also the TT and TP 800 tank locos.
BTW , the RES is almost as rare if not more!
Also RE 800 are quite complicated and hard to work on: many so-called "repair-men" would give up: once taken apart, it takes some really good skills and patience to put it back together and get it to work properly.
It has helicoïdal gears in the transmission, a special sliding contact for lights reversing and a quite finnicky complicated cardan transmission.
There is very little space and (re-)wiring is a true nightmare...
I got my first one back in the late 1950's from a college buddy who did not know what to do with it (lucky me!!!), with lots of parts missing or broken.
Took me almost 10 years to finally figure out how to get it back together (I was however doing other interesting things at that time..BigGrin .!!)
Now I feel really comfortable and have reconditionned quite a number of them since.
Currently , I have two waiting for parts from Ritter with 3 bodies being restaured after being disfigured completely.
One will go into my own collection, the other belongs to a distinguished member of this forum.
It's worth working on these, and the result is rewarding: once operational they will pull 12 348/x coaches like it was nothing
BTW yours is missing the plate that covers the motor winding underneath.
Unfortunately, Ritter ( http://ritter-restaurati...rID=2;usrEmail=;usrPwd=; ) doesn't seem to have these as spares
Hope this helps
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#4 Posted : 26 March 2012 01:34:52(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Guy's.

Regards Neil.

Neil,

Great loco! Perhaps are you differentiating between "HO" and not "00" ? Then the RE 800 would be relatively rare, but if we include all the 00 locomotives from 1935 - 1947 then almost all of them are more rare than the RE!

Unfortunately I don't have an RE in my collection at the moment....only an RET.

UserPostedImage

But I am happy because it has "Gepruft" tag, instructions, and box

Paul
Offline seatrains  
#5 Posted : 26 March 2012 05:12:39(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
I would love to have a RE,- RES 800..I only have a 3014...I can just imagine the gear whine, when running at slow speeds
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 26 March 2012 05:46:10(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   

Hi Neil
Currently , I have two waiting for parts from Ritter with 3 bodies being restaured after being disfigured completely.
One will go into my own collection, the other belongs to a distinguished member of this forum.
It's worth working on these, and the result is rewarding: once operational they will pull 12 348/x coaches like it was nothing
Unfortunately, Ritter ( http://ritter-restaurati...rID=2;usrEmail=;usrPwd=; ) doesn't seem to have these as spares
Hope this helps

Excited and eager to get it back from ritter!!! Drool Drool LOL
SBB Era 2-5
Offline 20-VOLT-AC  
#7 Posted : 26 March 2012 19:15:58(UTC)
20-VOLT-AC

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Hi Guy's.

Regards Neil.

Hi Neil
My favorite Märklin loco!!!Love
These are quite rare (more than CCS 800 for instance!) and quite hard to find in a condition like the one on the picture
If the one you have there is original (paint etc.), do take good care, it is a beauty!
The rarity comes from the high original price: few people would be ready to buy these in the 50's: for the same amount of money (or even less!!) they could get and F 800, SK 800 or a G 800 which were so much "bigger".
The same reasoning applies also the TT and TP 800 tank locos.
BTW , the RES is almost as rare if not more!
Also RE 800 are quite complicated and hard to work on: many so-called "repair-men" would give up: once taken apart, it takes some really good skills and patience to put it back together and get it to work properly.
It has helicoïdal gears in the transmission, a special sliding contact for lights reversing and a quite finnicky complicated cardan transmission.
There is very little space and (re-)wiring is a true nightmare...
I got my first one back in the late 1950's from a college buddy who did not know what to do with it (lucky me!!!), with lots of parts missing or broken.
Took me almost 10 years to finally figure out how to get it back together (I was however doing other interesting things at that time..BigGrin .!!)
Now I feel really comfortable and have reconditionned quite a number of them since.
Hope this helps

Hello Jacques in France.
Thanks for your long post regarding this subject, the loco is not mine ( wish it was ) i own an RES 800 which is a nice example and i have just serviced it with new field coil / armature and new brushes, goes nice and smooth !

I hope to get CCS 800 Kroc in the future but hopefully like you i will find one and be lucky or see one cheap in the local ads paper !
I am glad Ritter does parts for them and i find their parts service is very good.

Good luck on your RE restorations.

REgards Neil.

1950's Marklin Fan .