Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : What models do you own and do you want more versio
Choice Votes Statistics
  Total 240 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
4 Pages«<234
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline foumaro  
#151 Posted : 02 October 2014 14:20:48(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
I won an auction before a few days, so i add my self to the poll off the Big Boy owners.

What did You pay? I have a 37991 for sale!

The 37991 is very similar,maybe i will try to get the 37992 version in the future.BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline ice 1  
#152 Posted : 31 December 2014 16:44:12(UTC)
ice 1

Hi all Happy New Year
I bought 37991 as an investment like a fool as i didnt think every week Marklin would be bringing out a different version.
So now i plan to run it on my new layout ive stopped collecting insider models as they also get brought out again in different versions.
I must say it annoyed me to think they want to put in a less powerful motor and you pay the same high price.
Looking at it in my display case i cant say it looks well 39050 and 39010 looks better.
But then again what one doent like someone else does.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ice 1
Offline kiwiAlan  
#153 Posted : 31 December 2014 18:12:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ice 1 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all Happy New Year
I bought 37991 as an investment like a fool as i didnt think every week Marklin would be bringing out a different version.
So now i plan to run it on my new layout ive stopped collecting insider models as they also get brought out again in different versions.
I must say it annoyed me to think they want to put in a less powerful motor and you pay the same high price.
Looking at it in my display case i cant say it looks well 39050 and 39010 looks better.
But then again what one doent like someone else does.

I'm afraid that buying any model train as an investment is a fools errand. The only thing that makes them an investment is a perceived value later on when people find they cannot find one and will offer over the odds at places like eBay. See for example the recent 'World Cup' loco, but how long the prices will sit at 3-4x the original purchase price remains to be seen.

The Big Boy was always going to be produced in multiple versions. There were twenty five prototypes, so there are a reasonable number of road numbers for Marklin to amortize the tooling and development costs over a reasonable number of years of production. This has been shown in the number of start sets and individual locomotives they have produced since the original Insider version came out.

However where the Insider locos may be different from the normal production is in detailing - the insider loco may have more detailing and/or features than later production ones. Also an Insider loco tends to be the first of a series of production versions of a new tooling, so some Insider members will by the locos for this reason - to be first on the block with the new item.

However I am wondering how Marklin are going to amortize the tooling and development costs of the Br05 003 cab forward - there was only ever one of these on the track, so producing it with different road numbers is not an option.

I see it appearing in a display cabinet set, with one each of Br05 001, 002 and 003 - I regard this as almost a certainty.

They may also do a 'streamlined Br05' set with the streamlined Br05 001 and cab forward Br05 003.

They could also do a 'before and after' set with the cab forward, and then in 'normal' configuration, both numbered Br05 003.

It could also appear in a start set with some coaches and another loco of the time with some goods wagons, for an Era II Mega Start Set.

I don't see it being issued as an individual loco in the normal program - although it might appear in a Carl Bellingrodt style display case series, although I don't know what series it could fit. Have Marklin finished the 'Berlin Manufacturers' series yet? Would this loco fit that series?

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Mark_1602  
#154 Posted : 31 December 2014 20:33:32(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi Alan,

Apparently the Br05 Cab Forward also existed in a grey livery during WWII, and another potential version might be the black/light grey photography livery in which steam engines were photographed immediately after production at the time, so Märklin can make a couple of other versions later.

New versions of the Big Boy are bound to appear as well. It's one of the few newer engines doesn't lose a lot of its value a few years after you buy it. I used to have three Big Boys (37993, 37994, and 37995), and I personally think it's the best-designed locomotive Märklin has introduced in the last 15 years. Recently I sold two of my Big Boys at a good price, mainly due to lack of space and because I don't collect US models any more, but I regret selling the 37993 with the ESU sound decoder, as it's the best Big Boy Märklin has made: white LEDs, 'Glockenanker' motor with bell-shaped armatures, ESU sound decoder!

I've sold a large part of my collection, but the 37993 is the only item that I wish I still had ...

Best regards, Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline ice 1  
#155 Posted : 08 January 2015 14:13:04(UTC)
ice 1

Hi
I would just like to know what type of Motor is in the new Big Boy due to be released this year ref 37996 i think
Answer in simple English please is it the good powerful motor or a cheap one.
Would like to run 37991 on a layout im planning but then tunnel Entrances will need to be higher and then im sure that will look strange etc might sell it off what a waste of money it was wished i got more HAG RE460s
Offline H0  
#156 Posted : 08 January 2015 14:42:36(UTC)
H0

Answer in simple English please is it the good powerful motor or a cheap one.
Märklin won't tell, so we can only speculate.
I guess it will be the same type of motor they used for Big Boy 37994. Powerful? Yes. Good? I don't know. Cheap? Cheaper than a motor with bell-shaped armature.
Big Boys up to 37993 had motors with bell-shaped armatures - more quiet than 37994.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline ice 1  
#157 Posted : 08 January 2015 15:25:14(UTC)
ice 1

Thanks
My 37991 must have a good motor then never ran it got it in 06 i think.
Might try and find a photo of the motor i am not going to try and disassemble my own to look at its motor
Ive just noticed rust on the handrails 2 small spots at the very front of my loco the handrails on each side right in front of the boiler anyone else experienced this part number 101 on my parts sheet but the handrails dont seem to come seperate its down as lok vorbau well its them handrails.
Should i put the oil i use for my locos on the effected areas well ive just done that so no point asking now.
I also found the same type of rust on one buffer on the Marklin Class 103 39579 it left a rust mark also on the piece of cardboard the buffers were resting against but it seemed to rub off the affected area of the buffer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ice 1
Offline Mark_1602  
#158 Posted : 08 January 2015 19:11:54(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Thanks
My 37991 must have a good motor then never ran it got it in 06 i think.
Might try and find a photo of the motor i am not going to try and disassemble my own to look at its motor
Ive just noticed rust on the handrails 2 small spots at the very front of my loco the handrails on each side right in front of the boiler anyone else experienced this part number 101 on my parts sheet but the handrails dont seem to come seperate its down as lok vorbau well its them handrails.
Should i put the oil i use for my locos on the effected areas well ive just done that so no point asking now.
I also found the same type of rust on one buffer on the Marklin Class 103 39579 it left a rust mark also on the piece of cardboard the buffers were resting against but it seemed to rub off the affected area of the buffer.

Hi,

Your 37991 definitely has the 'Glockenanker' motor with bell-shaped armatures. The 37994 and 37995 have cheaper DC can motors that you cannot service and that do not last as long as a motor with bell-shaped armatures. Big Boys with DC motors run less well. The difference is obvious, as I noticed when I tested my 39993, 37994 and 37995.

Märklin still wants to keep customers in the dark about motors, but that has already backfired. (Sales were down once again in 2014 according to a short interview with Mr Sieber in the Junuary 2015 issue of Modellbahnillustrierte). I don't mind having some models with DC motors (even three-pole ones), but I'd like be be told which motor is inside the mocomotives I buy.

The Big Boy is the best model that Märklin has made in the last 15 years, so they should use a good motor with bell-shaped armatures again.

Best regards,
Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline ice 1  
#159 Posted : 08 January 2015 19:22:45(UTC)
ice 1

Yes a simple answer is dont buy thats true there up on €800 and they want cut costs to make even more money id prefer a good motor and charge more if necessary.
So has anyone else seen small specs of rust on the handrails of there Big Boy models have a close inspection especially if your model is in a display cabinet wont spot it unless you look at it close up
I might put some oil on all the other handrails lightly of course cause once it comes it comes.
Offline Mark_1602  
#160 Posted : 08 January 2015 19:33:21(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Yes a simple answer is dont buy thats true there up on €800 and they want cut costs to make even more money id prefer a good motor and charge more if necessary.
So has anyone else seen small specs of rust on the handrails of there Big Boy models have a close inspection especially if your model is in a display cabinet wont spot it unless you look at it close up
I might put some oil on all the other handrails lightly of course cause once it comes it comes.

Hi,

Do you live in the West of Ireland, where humidity is high? That might explain the corrosion, especially if the locomotives are stored in a basement. I haven't had any corrosion on newer Märklin models, and my collection is stored in dry, heated rooms.
Edit: I remember reading somewhere that the salt in the sea air may cause corrosion on metals, so if you live next to the sea, that might be the explanation.

The 37993 is the best Big Boy, but not all of them have the good ESU sound decoder. I've sold mine, but I regret it!!

Best regards, Mark
Best regards, Mark

Offline kimballthurlow  
#161 Posted : 08 January 2015 22:14:14(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
I live in the sub-tropics, and any blackened metal parts on my Marklin locos show rust after a few years.
My Insider 39050 (05 002) has rusty piping on top of the boiler.

I have old metal frame Fleischmann wagons from the 1950s, and the same rusting occurs.
They don't look any worse than the later stuff.

It is surface only, so I do not worry about it.
Oiling may help, it certainly will not harm the metal.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline foumaro  
#162 Posted : 09 January 2015 03:53:57(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: M-Classics Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

Do you live in the West of Ireland, where humidity is high? That might explain the corrosion, especially if the locomotives are stored in a basement. I haven't had any corrosion on newer Märklin models, and my collection is stored in dry, heated rooms.
Edit: I remember reading somewhere that the salt in the sea air may cause corrosion on metals, so if you live next to the sea, that might be the explanation.

The 37993 is the best Big Boy, but not all of them have the good ESU sound decoder. I've sold mine, but I regret it!!

Best regards, Mark

Is it possible to know what type of decoder have mine?
Offline H0  
#163 Posted : 09 January 2015 07:43:13(UTC)
H0

Yes, can be tested with Central Station 2, Control Unit 6021, Central Station. Which do you use?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline foumaro  
#164 Posted : 09 January 2015 14:13:12(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, can be tested with Central Station 2, Control Unit 6021, Central Station. Which do you use?

I am using the CS2.
Offline H0  
#165 Posted : 09 January 2015 15:12:02(UTC)
H0

With CS2 it's pretty easy. Open loco properties and click on CV.
On the "nformatio" tab scroll down to "Decoder Manufacturer ID".
For ESU decoders it will be "0.0.0.151", for MäTrix decoders it will be "0.0.0.131".
There is another field with the loco manufacturer ID (not visible on the screenshot) - this will always be 131 even for locos with ESU decoders.
H0 attached the following image(s):
cs2_cvs_information_en.png
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#166 Posted : 09 January 2015 23:40:14(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: M-Classics Go to Quoted Post

Do you live in the West of Ireland, where humidity is high? That might explain the corrosion,

Anywhere in Ireland is likely to have a percentage of salt laden air, especially with the storms like at the moment. It is amazing how far wind blown spray will go.

Offline ice 1  
#167 Posted : 10 January 2015 09:23:33(UTC)
ice 1

What i find a bit strange is that 39010 has no spots of rust and has been on display just as long.
Maybe its a quality issue with not enough spray paint been applied or just natural weathering of the loco like the real thing.BigGrin

Edited by user 14 January 2015 13:37:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Marius in Africa  
#168 Posted : 20 January 2020 20:13:19(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Hi all

My current Big Boy = 37993. I have now pre-ordered 37997 from the 2020 new items catalogue.
Would it be "incorrect" to use Streamline coaches with the new unit?

E. g. numbers 43601 to 43604

Regards
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline dickinsonj  
#169 Posted : 21 January 2020 01:59:55(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Marius in Africa Go to Quoted Post

Would it be "incorrect" to use Streamline coaches with the new unit?

E. g. numbers 43601 to 43604

Those Budd coaches are the only American passenger coaches that Märklin has made as far as I know, so in that regard they would be a good match. They are from the same era as the Big Boy, although it was not often used to haul passenger coaches. What would be odd is to see a UP Big Boy pulling a rake of coaches from a different road, such as the Santa Fe coaches you mentioned.

Märklin has also announced a coach set (#43617) painted in UP Armour Yellow paint , which is not only a great match but reproduces the coaches that they are pulling behind the 4014 on excursions this year. Unfortunately they are fairly expensive and lack lights and CC couplers, but if I do buy a 39997 that is what mine will be pulling. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline mrmarklin  
#170 Posted : 21 January 2020 02:43:03(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
For a contemporary consist the 2020 catalog items are what you want. 4014 is now burning oil, not coal. It’s Era 6!
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline Marius in Africa  
#171 Posted : 21 January 2020 17:11:19(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Thank you guys
Looks like i am going to be running two different Big Boy consist on my layout. It is going to be crowded. 😁
Regards
Marius
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline dickinsonj  
#172 Posted : 21 January 2020 17:29:59(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Looks like i am going to be running two different Big Boy consist on my layout. It is going to be crowded. 😁

I'm in the same situation. The week before they announced the 39997 I bought 12 more US freight cars for my Big Boy and Challenger, which brings my total to around 66 including two cabooses. So my newest Big Boy will be running the UP coaches just like the real Big Boy and I will have three of these giants on my track.

I thought that it was cool that UP chalked "Big Boy" on the smokebox door, just as someone did on the 4000 when it was under construction. I also think it is cool that Märklin did that with the 39997, as well as offering the UP coaches to make a perfect Era VI excursion train. It would be even better if they would go back to using a high quality motor in that loco but that is probably not going to happen. ThumbDown
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline kiwiAlan  
#173 Posted : 21 January 2020 22:15:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

I'm in the same situation. The week before they announced the 39997 I bought 12 more US freight cars for my Big Boy and Challenger, which brings my total to around 66 including two cabooses.

So now you can add another half dozen with the Trix set for the new Big Boy which includes another UP caboose. BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Offline dickinsonj  
#174 Posted : 22 January 2020 01:41:34(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
So now you can add another half dozen with the Trix set for the new Big Boy which includes another UP caboose. BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Thanks Alan, I had not seen that set. Unfortunately it would not add anything new for me as I already have all of those freight cars from various other sets, although I assume that they at least changed the road numbers.
Regards,
Jim

Offline bph  
#175 Posted : 24 January 2020 16:50:09(UTC)
bph

Norway   
What I definitely would love to see, is new actual sounds recorded from the restored 4014. As Märklin have not mentioned anything about it, I assume the new 37997 uses the same sound as the previous models.
Offline TEEWolf  
#176 Posted : 24 January 2020 22:07:05(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
What I definitely would love to see, is new actual sounds recorded from the restored 4014. As Märklin have not mentioned anything about it, I assume the new 37997 uses the same sound as the previous models.

Today I received my new and first Insider package (01/2020) for this year. Headline of the Maerklin Magazine 01/2020 is: "Big Boy is back". Inside is an article over 7 pages about the Big Boy 4014 with a detailed description of the new model and differences to model from 2001. About the sound they are writing: "With the sounddecoder many operating noises can be switched on digitally so the sound effects correspond to the original." If the sound are recorded from the "old new" original - I could not find any word.

But in the table about the digital functions of the 37997 Big Boy, I found a function about a "Dieselloco driving noise". Confused BigGrin Laugh

BTW the Maerklin Insider informations 01/2020 are online too already.
https://www.maerklin.de/...01-2020_010720_EN_nt.pdf
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline dickinsonj  
#177 Posted : 25 January 2020 02:32:17(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

That is what I assume as well. If the sound files were from ESU real recordings might actually be a possibility but not so much from Märklin. I have seen Märklin claim to record some real locos for their sound database, but all of their sounds seem pretty much the same to me, especially on their less expensive locos.
Regards,
Jim

Offline jerdenberg  
#178 Posted : 25 January 2020 10:32:27(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
In my Big Boy roster there are three different implementations of sound: in the early ones (unrealistically slow beats), in the converted Trix one (somewhat better) and in 37991(reasonable). However, none of these, nor the sound of the MTH Challenger, come anywhere close to the sound recorded in the 1950s when a Big Boy came up Sherman Hill. The beats drowned almost completely in an overwhelming hiss of steam and smoke streaming from the engine. In my 1:87 world, I usually switch off the sound, as the noise of the locs and cars is considerable already.

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
Offline dickinsonj  
#179 Posted : 25 January 2020 15:34:22(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: jerdenberg Go to Quoted Post
In my Big Boy roster there are three different implementations of sound: in the early ones (unrealistically slow beats)

Jeroen

I agree Jeroen -- it is very unlikely that any HO loco sound file will ever capture the amazing sounds of the real thing. I also don't use operating sounds unless I am only running a single loco on my layout - otherwise it is just a noisy jumble. Sounds captured from the real 4014 would have been a nice touch, but Märklin seems more focused on the static collector these days than those of us who actually run our trains.

BTW the chuffs on my 37990 are perfectly synchronized with the drivetrain by a pulse generator on one of the axles in the front engine. Was that the only Märklin Big Boy so equipped, or did some later models also have that feature?
Regards,
Jim

Offline bph  
#180 Posted : 25 January 2020 17:18:35(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

I agree Jeroen -- it is very unlikely that any HO loco sound file will ever capture the amazing sounds of the real thing. I also don't use operating sounds unless I am only running a single loco on my layout - otherwise it is just a noisy jumble. Sounds captured from the real 4014 would have been a nice touch, but Märklin seems more focused on the static collector these days than those of us who actually run our trains.

BTW the chuffs on my 37990 are perfectly synchronized with the drivetrain by a pulse generator on one of the axles in the front engine. Was that the only Märklin Big Boy so equipped, or did some later models also have that feature?

I also agree, but when I hear the thin steam sound and know that it is possible to improve, I want to improve it a bit. just for the fun.

as for pulse generator, apparently only 3990 have it, as stated in this thread https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t35131-Marklin-37990-Big-Boy---Incorrect-sound-with-CS-60215

ps: Märklin has published an article about the new 4014, https://www.maerklin.de/en/lp/2019/landingpage-big-boy/
Offline QQQ1970  
#181 Posted : 09 February 2020 19:01:26(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
37990 and 37991