Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BillJ  
#1 Posted : 21 December 2011 23:06:57(UTC)
BillJ

Having accumulated four transformers (two blue and two white) that had constant power (for lights and so forth) but no power to run trains (controlled by the dial), I decided it was time to either fix them or throw them.

Fortunately I found the ~2004 discussion on this problem, and how to fix it. So I opened them.

The two 6646 white transformers both had wires that were broken at the sweeper, i.e., under the dial. I spliced in some Marklin layout wire and soldered it to the sweeper. Both now work. It is hard to avoid feeling that the wire used by Marklin is too light and/or rigid for the purpose, since both broke at exactly the same place.

The two blue transformers had no obvious wire weakness, but with these two examples in mind I removed the old wire connecting the sweeper to the lug and soldered a replacement wire in place. (During removal of one of the wires there did seem to be a weak spot near the sweeper, hidden by the casing.) Both transformers now work fine.

They are resealed and ready to use. We're not supposed to open them, but it is hard to see that what I did presents any safety issues whatsoever.

In a sense this is an update on that old discussion -- and thanks to those who contributed then -- but thought it might be of interest.

Bill
Offline 60904  
#2 Posted : 22 December 2011 17:47:54(UTC)

Germany   
Hi Bill,

when you know what you are doing it is ok to repair them yourself. I don't see a point not to repair a transformer for my own use.
Greetings
Martin
Offline davevo  
#3 Posted : 22 December 2011 19:10:45(UTC)
davevo

Would you be so kind as to post a link to the 2004 article? I have an old blue transformer that seems to be dirty inside. There are dead spots along the sweep of the dial. I'd like to know what I'm looking for before I tear into it
Thanks
Offline BillJ  
#4 Posted : 23 December 2011 01:46:30(UTC)
BillJ

This is what got me going:

https://www.marklin-user....aspx?g=posts&m=1147

Note that each transformer has a different way of being closed. Some use rivets that can be drilled out and replaced; others have little tabs that twist to close them; the white 6646 has plastic tabs that can be drilled out, and so forth. It would depend on which one you have. But if you are careful it should be fairly easy to do, and to re-close.

For yours, maybe the sweeper or coil is dirty, or the sweeper needs to be re-tensioned.

If you don't see something obvious, however, my experience (four of four) is that there may be a fault in the wire going from the sweeper to the lug. On two wires there was no obvious break, but there must have been because replacing the wire solved the problem. On three I soldered in a new piece at the sweeper end (and covered it with shrink wrap), then soldered it to the sweeper. On the fourth, I replaced the wire from lug to sweeper. Fortunately, this remedy is pretty easy to try!

Possibly relevant to your situation: before the most recent transformer failed I noticed degradation in its output for some time before it gave out completely.

Hope this helps.

Bill
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BillJ