Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 20 December 2011 12:58:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi everyone,

I like to make you aware of the Märklin brush plate with a couple photos showing you the distorted brush holder.
What I've done with mine is, lift the brush holder up slightly and add a drop of superglue using a toothpick between the brush holder and the brush plate and than hold it for a few seconds with a pair of nose pliers.
The first picture show the brush holder is not level with the brushplate (slight angle) and the second picture shows clearly the brushholder is not resting on the brushplate, hence the loss of: maximum speed, increased noise level and sometimes variation of speed.

Märklin has had many innovations over the years but they haven't done anything about the brush holder since its introduction many many years ago.
They have adjusted the machine force which stamps the brush holder onto the plate, suppose the cheapest option out (after I've informed them of the problem) but haven't fixed the problem over a 20 year period and I must admit there aren't many, if any who has noticed it, which brings me to an interesting observation: most modelers are more concerned about the outside appearance than the inside workings.

John

John
river6109 attached the following image(s):
Brushplate 1.JPG
Brushplate.JPG
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline GSRR  
#2 Posted : 20 December 2011 13:05:44(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
John,

do you see this more of a design problem or assembly issue?

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Ian555  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2011 13:06:56(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi John,

Maybe a bit history on why the repair was required/how did you notice it/what where the symptons.

Thanks.

Ian.

Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2011 14:17:03(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Thomas & Ian,

As you all know, I've converted over 200 locos from my own collection over the years.

From time to time the loco didn't run as one would expect it to run, looking at different options, e.g. cleanliness of gears, armature, brushes, oil, the loco still didn't respond to a smooth running as one has experience with other locos (motors).
So I put the question to myself and started to investigate, first by using a small screwdriver and pressing it at various points of the brushplate, one of these brushholders must have had the raised position and by pressing it down, the motor suddenly responded to a smoother, quieter and faster running.
I than noticed that most of them had the same position, hence writing to Marklin and explaining the problem.
When you think about it it makes sense. the brush or brushes are not in their natural [position (90°) and the curved formtation at the end of brush is tailored to suit the armature, one could compare it with having a screw being wrongly inserted into a bolt.

Well one could say both, a design problem and a assembly issue.

My answer to problem would be to extend the brushholder over the side with a lip and tuck it in under the brushplate.
reduce the thickness of the brushplate at the point or width of the extension lip or to stamp a hole into the brushplate at the end of the brushholder and tuck it under the brushplate like the rest of brushholder is attached to the brushplate.

Of course my second complaint is not having ball bearings in these motors and this alone reduces the noise level considerable.
It is quite absurd, you have one motor, e.g. C-Sine which in my mind was the best thing after sliced bread and you have an outdated motor brushplate but yet a good performing motor over all and Marklin had no intention over 20 years to do better.

It also surprises me some members queery the cost between certain models or comment on the outside appearance but fail to recognize the basic and inadequate failure of these parts.

Although Marklin has now or is now producing locos with wormgears and C-Sine motors there is still a large percentage of locos being produced with these type of motors.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Ian555  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2011 15:22:28(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to go over that with me, I learn something new about Märklin every day, from guy's like yourself who do not mind sharing their wealth of information with us "beginners".

It makes our forum such an interesting place to visit. ThumpUp

Thanks.

Ian.

Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2011 15:37:50(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Ian555 Go to Quoted Post
Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to go over that with me, I learn something new about Märklin every day, from guy's like yourself who do not mind sharing their wealth of information with us "beginners".

It makes our forum such an interesting place to visit. ThumpUp

Thanks.

Ian.

Its a pleasure Ian, may be boring for some or not applicable to others

Marklin most probably puts the loco onto the track it runs forward and backwards and gives it a tick.

John
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 20 December 2011 15:40:50(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Excellent analysis, John.

I think you're right in saying that most modellers are more concerned about the external appearance of the locos than the insides. I, for one, will only take the body off the loco when it's absolutely necessary for lubrication, repairs, or conversions. As long as the loco performs reasonably well I'm happy not to tweak it. I tend to accept that some locos will be noisier and run a bit rougher than others, and haven't really bothered to look at the insides carefully.

Thanks for making us aware of the brush plate issues.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Davy  
#8 Posted : 20 December 2011 19:28:34(UTC)
Davy

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

I like to make you aware of the Märklin brush plate with a couple photos showing you the distorted brush holder.
What I've done with mine is, lift the brush holder up slightly and add a drop of superglue using a toothpick between the brush holder and the brush plate and than hold it for a few seconds with a pair of nose pliers.
The first picture show the brush holder is not level with the brushplate (slight angle) and the second picture shows clearly the brushholder is not resting on the brushplate, hence the loss of: maximum speed, increased noise level and sometimes variation of speed.

Märklin has had many innovations over the years but they haven't done anything about the brush holder since its introduction many many years ago.
They have adjusted the machine force which stamps the brush holder onto the plate, suppose the cheapest option out (after I've informed them of the problem) but haven't fixed the problem over a 20 year period and I must admit there aren't many, if any who has noticed it, which brings me to an interesting observation: most modelers are more concerned about the outside appearance than the inside workings.

John

John

If you let this see to Marklin you maybe could get a new one.

And I almost don't buy locs with this kind of engine anymore.
This year I had only one of the five locs I bought.

And when the Swiss steamer for this year did come with this kind of engine instead off a engine with a flywheel. I said to my dealer I will not buy it. So I bought the br V160 "Lollo".

M-track with a CS2.
Offline DA 800  
#9 Posted : 20 December 2011 22:33:10(UTC)
DA 800

Norway   
Hi John,

Thanks for this very good tips!

I haven't paid any particular attention to this before, so just for my curiosity I opened a brand new "cheap" 60760 motor and decoder kit I had waiting for a coversion to come.
To my surprise, the brushplate was even worse than yours!

UserPostedImage

The brush guide on one side was not only lifted, but also twisted.
The misalignment was "fixed" with the soldered litle capacitor!

UserPostedImage

Looking at the inside, one of the brushes would not be perpendicular to the commutator.

UserPostedImage

Of course the motor would have run, but not with full performance.

I really need to check more locomotives now.....

Thanks again, John!

Regards

Bent

- MRR keeps the child in you alive!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DA 800
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 21 December 2011 13:32:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Bent,

I thank you for providing a better picture and demonstrating what has been produced in 2011 as a new item.
I rather have this corrected for once and for all instead of pondering about a missing handrail and both examples are unexceptable.
The best way to fix it i found out was a drop of superglue but this should not be undertaken whiole the brushplate is connected to the armature nor should the brushes be inserted.
Superglue flows freely and will when positioned right contact the brushholder and the brushplate with this method you will make sure no out of alignment will occur and by pressing it down into the provided groove it will sit there perfectly.
Your last photo would be a good example to demonstrate with an extended flap on both sides, a slit could be made the flap is pushed through and tucked in towards the center.
To have such an out of line bruhsholder is to my mind neglegible for 2011's technology.

John
Offline DA 800  
#11 Posted : 21 December 2011 18:53:53(UTC)
DA 800

Norway   
John,

I will try the Superglue instead of getting a replacement brushplate from my dealer under warrany. (A replacement brushplate would probably not have been much better).

Another thing that surprised me is that the brush holder can turn around its single fixing point - the rivet with the spring. The small capacitor which is soldered between the two brush holders is actually preventing the holders from turning around their rivets. If you install an ESU decoder, this capacitor should be removed according to ESU instructions and the problem will increase.
That is - without the super glue!

I agree that such nuisance is not what you expect from a quality manufacturer like Märklin.

Hopefully they will change this soon!

- MRR keeps the child in you alive!
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 21 December 2011 21:34:47(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: DA 800 Go to Quoted Post
If you install an ESU decoder, this capacitor should be removed according to ESU instructions
According to the ESU instructions I know, this capacitor has to stay in place.
ESU manual wrote:
In some cases with the 5-pole High Performance Drive by Märklin®, you may find three anti-interference capacitors: the two capacitors connected directly to the motor leads and the motor housing MUST be removed
Three capacitors: remove two (keep the one between the brushes). One capacitor: keep it.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Marty  
#13 Posted : 22 December 2011 02:57:28(UTC)
Marty

United States   
Just for the sake of comparison, I'd like to see a coverplate from Hag. How do they measure up in this area?

Marty
Offline Guus  
#14 Posted : 26 December 2011 17:29:44(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi John,

Thank you for posting this interesting subject.

For comparison I"ll post a few pictures of the HAG brush plate as asked by Marty.

HAG's design differs in many ways from Märklin's design.

UserPostedImage

Brush holder with motor bearing

UserPostedImage

Brush with spring and retaining plate

UserPostedImage

Brush holder from inside

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Chrome plated barrels for guiding the brushes are perfectly aligned and fitted tightly into the Brush holder

Kind regards,
Guus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Guus
Offline GSRR  
#15 Posted : 27 December 2011 10:41:44(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Guus Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

Impressive bit of kit. Shame Maerklin cannot do the same.

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline GSRR  
#16 Posted : 27 December 2011 10:48:48(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Thomas & Ian,

As you all know, I've converted over 200 locos from my own collection over the years.

From time to time the loco didn't run as one would expect it to run, looking at different options, e.g. cleanliness of gears, armature, brushes, oil, the loco still didn't respond to a smooth running as one has experience with other locos (motors).
So I put the question to myself and started to investigate, first by using a small screwdriver and pressing it at various points of the brushplate, one of these brushholders must have had the raised position and by pressing it down, the motor suddenly responded to a smoother, quieter and faster running.
I than noticed that most of them had the same position, hence writing to Marklin and explaining the problem.
When you think about it it makes sense. the brush or brushes are not in their natural [position (90°) and the curved formtation at the end of brush is tailored to suit the armature, one could compare it with having a screw being wrongly inserted into a bolt.

Well one could say both, a design problem and a assembly issue.

My answer to problem would be to extend the brushholder over the side with a lip and tuck it in under the brushplate.
reduce the thickness of the brushplate at the point or width of the extension lip or to stamp a hole into the brushplate at the end of the brushholder and tuck it under the brushplate like the rest of brushholder is attached to the brushplate.

Of course my second complaint is not having ball bearings in these motors and this alone reduces the noise level considerable.
It is quite absurd, you have one motor, e.g. C-Sine which in my mind was the best thing after sliced bread and you have an outdated motor brushplate but yet a good performing motor over all and Marklin had no intention over 20 years to do better.

It also surprises me some members queery the cost between certain models or comment on the outside appearance but fail to recognize the basic and inadequate failure of these parts.

Although Marklin has now or is now producing locos with wormgears and C-Sine motors there is still a large percentage of locos being produced with these type of motors.

John

All good points John. Almost criminal to have €350 Lok disabled by a cheaply made part.

Just adding the ball bearing to the part would be a step foward.

r/Thomas

Offline cookee_nz  
#17 Posted : 27 December 2011 10:59:39(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: GSRR Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Guus Go to Quoted Post

Impressive bit of kit. Shame Maerklin cannot do the same.

r/Thomas

But there's nothing to stop an enterprising entrepreneur from doing the same thing and producing an after-market replacement - accurate brush holder design and a ball bearing. Heck you could probably cast some from resin to do a proof of concept and test the market before going into production.

But you can be sure if someone did release a better one, then Marklin would finally do something about it, redesign theirs and kill the opportunity so who would be willing to pony up for the tooling up costs faced with that risk?

The tweak suggested by John will certainly fill the gap for those of us wise enough to belong to this forum.

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 27 December 2011 11:18:12(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
But you can be sure if someone did release a better one, then Marklin would finally do something about it, redesign theirs and kill the opportunity so who would be willing to pony up for the tooling up costs faced with that risk?
Yeah, within few decades Märklin would react and improve their products.
But how many M* users are willing to replace motor shields, centre rail pickups, or just even couplers?
While there are many M* locos around, the market for a better motor shield would still be small. Chances could be better in a set with HAMO magnet, motor shield, and decoder for those who upgrade existing locos.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#19 Posted : 27 December 2011 11:30:55(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I'm very impressed with the HAG motorshield, no room for errors and a sturdy and what looks like professional design.

Märklin shame on you by not attending to a problem earlier, they've adopted the design from the "shifting sand society".

What also annoys me when you put a question forward and they come back with an answer, Oh if we do this the cost of material and labour cost it would prevent us from doing it unless we increase the price, with other words they have no intention to go further and actually do something about it and include it in the price with an adversising campaign, our new revolutionary motorschield.
If they want something for us to know, they don't mind spend any amount of money to advertise their "New Technology"

John
Offline RayF  
#20 Posted : 27 December 2011 11:35:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I'm guessing that with most of Marklin's new toolings going for the can motor and worm drive option we are unlikely to see Marklin making a significant investment in these old motors. I would welcome a replacement brushplate with improved bearings, but I don't see it happening. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!

On the other hand, these motors have been around for years and mostly work fine. I personally have had no problems with my mine, and I have 43 of them. When one of them starts making a bit of noise I apply one drop of oil on each end bearing and the problem goes away. Sometimes the gear train makes more noise, and that's harder to get rid of.

I would like to see Marklin replace all their mechanisms on new steam locos with smaller can motors than can be concealed within the boilers, as they started doing way back with the Br 18.1 and have continued to do since. It's not so important on electrics and diesels, but it's still easier to include a detalied cab and interior with a centrally mounted motor than with the old DCM motor bogie.
Ray
Offline river6109  
#21 Posted : 27 December 2011 12:10:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I'm guessing that with most of Marklin's new toolings going for the can motor and worm drive option we are unlikely to see Marklin making a significant investment in these old motors. I would welcome a replacement brushplate with improved bearings, but I don't see it happening. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!

On the other hand, these motors have been around for years and mostly work fine. I personally have had no problems with my mine, and I have 43 of them. When one of them starts making a bit of noise I apply one drop of oil on each end bearing and the problem goes away. Sometimes the gear train makes more noise, and that's harder to get rid of.

I would like to see Marklin replace all their mechanisms on new steam locos with smaller can motors than can be concealed within the boilers, as they started doing way back with the Br 18.1 and have continued to do since. It's not so important on electrics and diesels, but it's still easier to include a detalied cab and interior with a centrally mounted motor than with the old DCM motor bogie.

Ray,

Although I have no quarrels with your opinion and I except a toy will always be a toy, it amazes me thou when we talk about other small irregularities the whole forum is up in arms and this wasn't my intention, on the same note having put up with somemthing for years, shows how we accept things without any great astonishment.

Oh well it has worked for me for years, what's the problem ?

So in a nutshell we are prepared to pay for it and just put up with it, regardless about the obvious, on one hand it is a toy and on the other hand we are told our new mould is exactly an 1:87 prototype extraction and what is inside is gone by the wayside, so the look of the loco and the type of a loco than dominates the outcome of the price structure and with this statement we are prepared to pay for it, regardless how much it costs, with other words, we than automatically ignore any shortcomings or what is described as shortcomings is debatable or becomes irrelevant.

Unless Märklin is getting rid of this motor all together and replaces it with other more modern or suitable designs and in my estimation it will not occur in the next few years.
What is foreseeable however a new direction is taking place about the whole motor and driving characteristics design. e.g. wurm drive, cardan rods and C-sine or can motors.

John
Offline RayF  
#22 Posted : 27 December 2011 14:43:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Ray,

Although I have no quarrels with your opinion and I except a toy will always be a toy, it amazes me thou when we talk about other small irregularities the whole forum is up in arms and this wasn't my intention, on the same note having put up with somemthing for years, shows how we accept things without any great astonishment.

Oh well it has worked for me for years, what's the problem ?

So in a nutshell we are prepared to pay for it and just put up with it, regardless about the obvious, on one hand it is a toy and on the other hand we are told our new mould is exactly an 1:87 prototype extraction and what is inside is gone by the wayside, so the look of the loco and the type of a loco than dominates the outcome of the price structure and with this statement we are prepared to pay for it, regardless how much it costs, with other words, we than automatically ignore any shortcomings or what is described as shortcomings is debatable or becomes irrelevant.

Unless Märklin is getting rid of this motor all together and replaces it with other more modern or suitable designs and in my estimation it will not occur in the next few years.
What is foreseeable however a new direction is taking place about the whole motor and driving characteristics design. e.g. wurm drive, cardan rods and C-sine or can motors.

John

John, I agree with you. Most people accept what they get without question. Maybe we should all complain loudly when something is not quite right, but that depends on your nature. Some are accepters and some are questioners!

My main point was meant to be that Marklin are moving away from the DCM motor. Every new tooling is now being supplied with can motors. I think the've been trying for a while to eliminate the DCM motor. As well as the shortcomings pointed out in this post, it is rather large and also quite unsophisticated. Apart from having been upgraded from 3 pole to 5 pole it is the same motor that was introduced in the seventies, nearly forty years ago. Modellers today ask for steamers with uncluttered cabs, electrics and diesels with detailed and illuminated cabs, etc, and this is not possible with the DCM motors.

After a brief dabble in C-sine motors, the SDS version of which was nice and compact, they have now decided for various reasons discussed elsewhere to go back to can motors, continuing the trend started with the Br18.1, Br55, Br59, etc. I think this is the right decision.

It is possible that they might decide to produce an upgraded version of the DCM with better bearings and brush arrangements, but I think it unlikely.
Ray
Offline river6109  
#23 Posted : 29 December 2011 02:34:38(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Ray,

Fully understood, my other observation was, Marklin got away with this motor for so long and no one has pointed it out to Marklin or not enough modellers have queried the end result of the brushholder assembly for them to warrant a change of heart or a change the design without major alterations and hassles.

As you said, the can motor is big enough or small enough to house it in a position to allow all the other bits and pieces to be where they should be but I still hear people mentioning the noise the gear mechanism produces at higher speeds so we may find the same problem lingering on for years with out any changes but an improved version overall or covering most aspects of having a steam loco with a proper cab view, instruments and not showing cog wheels (hopefully).

Marklin may has given way to be innovative by abbandoning the C-Sine motor as you said in years to come or maybe even sooner, which I think is a petty, I thought the motor was or is excellent with an enormous amount of torque behind it.

In the end its the dollar how much it costs for a C-sine motor and how much a can motor costs, not that we will benefit for any price reduction but Marklin will encrease their profit margins.

Another example of getting away for years they haven't produced a c-track double switch as yet or given us the choice of sleeker k-track turnouts. this again shows you how slack a company can be and get away with it which brings me to another question are we really modelers or can be classified as modelers having 3 rails not because of the concept but the restricted and monoplized system we are using nobody else has copied or tried to produce for professional modellers, except Weichen Walter's modified turnout system.
We all praise Marklin for its quality (I can vouch for my locos are still running after all these years) and is it a nostalgic phenomanon we will never abandon or loose the effection for these trains and therfore except shortcomings from time to time or jusut go along with an outdated policy the company has itself engaged in over years.
If I had my way again building a layout I would use 2 rails for my eletric locos (using prototypical turnouts angle) and 3 rails for diesels & steam locos.
And it isn't Marklin alone, I've mentioned before, Roco has the golden opportunity to change their steamlocos tender motorization to extend it to the main driving wheels to the loco itself.

John
Offline sudibarba  
#24 Posted : 30 December 2011 03:30:59(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I enjoy the old motors and am happy with their running characteristics. They are easy and cheap to repair. Can motors are cheap but not repairable by me at least. In fact, for me at least, taking care of these old motors is one of the things I enjoy most about our hobby. I guess it is like my old MG vs. something newer. To each their own.
Eric
Offline H0  
#25 Posted : 30 December 2011 08:49:00(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: sudibarba Go to Quoted Post
I enjoy the old motors and am happy with their running characteristics. They are easy and cheap to repair.
Same applies to HAG motors. They use the same design pattern, but run much smoother and much more quiet. Maybe because cogwheels have been carefully de-grated, maybe because the brush plates have a better precision.
Some Märklin rotors are said to have grates at the collector - this increases noise and carbon dust.

Märklin's standard HEP motors are easy to maintain. With better precision they could be quiet and easy to maintain. They'd still be too big for modern steamers.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage