Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#1 Posted : 19 August 2011 02:33:31(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hello Marklin friends,

Today I decided to rebuild some ST 800 locomotives and cars. When I took the shell off one locomotive I realized it needed some rewiring because the soldering had loosened in some places so wires were everywhere so I decided to make just one operational loco and leave the other for later.

Hit a few problems along the way for the one "operational" loco. First try I put it all together and there was an obvious short in the circuit. I found it it was coming from the rear vestibule and noticed the insulation on the wire had come off and was touching the bare metal. You can see I put a small piece of tape around the wire and this fixed the problem. Also one of the middle vestibule's trucks was broken so I had to replace it and also find some original wheels. I found the wheels in my spare parts collection, but didn't have any original trucks so I had to compromise with Ritter's. The Ritter ones of course would not fit with the original Marklin one so I had to replace both. No surprise Ritter incorrectly threaded the trucks at the point where they connect with the vestibule shell (this location is actually not supposed to be threaded because the shell is threaded!). This makes it very difficult to screw one screw into two pieces of metal with two threads!!!

Anyway the results were good and the loco is running and reversing perfectly and almost all original (I'll find original trucks later). So now I have a 4-Piece ST 800 locomotive which was one of the last versions Marklin produced.

Enjoy the photos....

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Regards,

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline Johnvr  
#2 Posted : 19 August 2011 16:38:20(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Paul,

I am glad that the results were succssful - these are rare items and you clearly have the desire to get them working again. Enjoyed the pictures !

Regards,BigGrin
John
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 19 August 2011 17:14:45(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post

Today I decided to rebuild some ST 800 locomotives and cars. When I took the shell off one locomotive I realized it needed some rewiring because the soldering had loosened in some places so wires were everywhere so I decided to make just one operational loco and leave the other for later.
Hit a few problems along the way for the one "operational" loco. First try I put it all together and there was an obvious short in the circuit. I found it it was coming from the rear vestibule and noticed the insulation on the wire had come off and was touching the bare metal. You can see I put a small piece of tape around the wire and this fixed the problem.

Hello Paul
Good job!
Instead of tape (that will eventually come off...) try using some shrink tubing (available at FRY's) of a little bigger diameter, slide it over the wire and shrink it.
It's neater and it will last a very long time
Also one of the middle vestibule's trucks was broken so I had to replace it and also find some original wheels. I found the wheels in my spare parts collection, but didn't have any original trucks so I had to compromise with Ritter's. The Ritter ones of course would not fit with the original Marklin one so I had to replace both. No surprise Ritter incorrectly threaded the trucks at the point where they connect with the vestibule shell (this location is actually not supposed to be threaded because the shell is threaded!). This makes it very difficult to screw one screw into two pieces of metal with two threads!!!

Agreed! But in this case you could simply have drilled out the threads of the Ritter parts!Wink Wink (a 2mm drill is all you need!)

Anyway the results were good and the loco is running and reversing perfectly and almost all original (I'll find original trucks later). So now I have a 4-Piece ST 800 locomotive which was one of the last versions Marklin produced.
Enjoy the photos....
Regards,
Paul

ThumpUp ThumpUp Wub Wub

Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline mpipa  
#4 Posted : 19 August 2011 18:40:53(UTC)
mpipa

Portugal   
Hi Paul, well done, very nice train!
But I have a question about your sentence:
"The Ritter ones of course would not fit with the original Marklin one so I had to replace both. No surprise Ritter incorrectly threaded the trucks at the point where they connect with the vestibule shell (this location is actually not supposed to be threaded because the shell is threaded!)."
Why would the Ritter ones not fit original Marklin?
Why is it no surprise that Ritter incorrectely threaded the trucks?
Do you mean that Ritter is incompetent?
Regards,
Manuel
#5 Posted : 19 August 2011 21:35:55(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Manuel,

I didn't mean to say I think Ritter is incompitent, I have just not been very impressed with their cast metal reproductions. Almost all parts I see from them are not cast out of a Zinc alloy as they should be - their metal is so malleable it can be bent with your fingers. Also other subtle differences which might have been purposely included to differentiate from originals.

On the other hand, Ritter does some of the best repaintings I have seen andI think they are very good with this. Their machine stamped tinplate parts are also top quality.

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
#6 Posted : 20 August 2011 16:43:15(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Quote:

Hello Paul
Good job!
Instead of tape (that will eventually come off...) try using some shrink tubing (available at FRY's) of a little bigger diameter, slide it over the wire and shrink it.
It's neater and it will last a very long time
ThumpUp ThumpUp Wub Wub

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions, Jacques, and I think both are very good ideas...as always the first time I "rebuild" a locomotive is usually not the last time! I will definitely work on it again and make some minor improvements.

Paul
Offline seatrains  
#7 Posted : 20 August 2011 19:03:27(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Paul, love the topic and nice to see the old lok together again. I also love the sound of the gears as it moves. Takes me back to childhood. thanks, Thom
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline vtmikev  
#8 Posted : 10 October 2011 03:18:23(UTC)
vtmikev

And wow, look at all those red Marklin boxes.... its nice to see items from an era when Marklin made tough durable metal items!!!
#9 Posted : 10 October 2011 07:11:40(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: vtmikev Go to Quoted Post
And wow, look at all those red Marklin boxes.... its nice to see items from an era when Marklin made tough durable metal items!!!

Yes, Marklin is of incredible quality. Unfortunately many of the locos from the "red box" era (up to about 1953) suffer from Zincpest and so the metal is not very strong.

Paul
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 10 October 2011 07:42:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Paul,
yes I like to make the same suggestion as Jacques unless you have already done it in meantime.
Cut the wire clean on both sides and use a shrink tube.
In the early days of my conversions I've used band aids and as Jacques said, they don't last and have a habit of unrolling themselves.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
#11 Posted : 10 October 2011 07:49:17(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Paul,
yes I like to make the same suggestion as Jacques unless you have already done it in meantime.
In the early days of my conversions I've used band aids and as Jacques said, they don't last and have a habit of unrolling themselves.

John

Hi John,

Yes, it is a very good suggestion from both of you. Normally I would have done so but it seems always I work with the tools I have at hand. And this time I did the restoration at my computer desk and only had tape! I am planning soon a complete reworking of the entire locomotive again to tidy up the wiring and make sure all the coach lights are working.

Paul
Offline intruder  
#12 Posted : 10 October 2011 09:03:56(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Good work, Paul.

Thos old ones are impressive. The ST 800 must be rather heavy. Have you ever put it on a scale?
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline cookee_nz  
#13 Posted : 10 October 2011 09:29:33(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Paul,

John

Hi John,

Yes, it is a very good suggestion from both of you. Normally I would have done so but it seems always I work with the tools I have at hand. And this time I did the restoration at my computer desk and only had tape! I am planning soon a complete reworking of the entire locomotive again to tidy up the wiring and make sure all the coach lights are working.

Paul

Just out of interest Paul, did you also strip and clean the Jacob's trucks? - I have 2/6 of an ST800, (ie body from one end, chassis from the other, nothing from the middle) but I did clean up what I had.

I found stripping the trucks to be very easy and very enjoyable - they are just so precisely machined it was a joy to work on them. Cleaned all the old grease out of the gears, cleaned the body halves and reassemble/relube, they work like a dream.

One of these days I'll find a Croc at a price my wallet will stand and get into one of those. My kind of fun. Love those intricate mechanicals.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline drstapes  
#14 Posted : 10 October 2011 23:31:27(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Paul,
Lovely job, I would really love one of these st800 sets but my wallet isn't big enough.when I think about it I had the same problem when I was 15!
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#15 Posted : 10 October 2011 23:47:51(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
Nice work!!! I spend a lot of time rebuilding older, pre-war vintage Lionel and American Flyer trains. There's just something nice about seeing a train that old still proving it can keep up with the younger crowd BigGrin This love of the older stuff has caused me to begin collecting more of those Maerklin items that were around when I was growing up. (I love the newer digitally-equipped items for sure, but I'll always have a warm space in my heart for those analog items that somehow just seem to run -- and sound -- better on tubular steel M-track: as a friend told me once, "You don't have to program 'em... you just play with 'em!")
Offline smurfillo  
#16 Posted : 06 November 2011 00:06:22(UTC)
smurfillo

Nice job, I 'm triying restore my ST 800 version 1 and I have looked the Ritter's Web, Ritter produce the boogie parts that I need to repaired it, but reading your post, I'm not sure buy Ritter parts now, I keep looking for the original parts.
#17 Posted : 06 November 2011 00:14:08(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: smurfillo Go to Quoted Post
Nice job, I 'm triying restore my ST 800 version 1 and I have looked the Ritter's Web, Ritter produce the boogie parts that I need to repaired it, but reading your post, I'm not sure buy Ritter parts now, I keep looking for the original parts.

Hello,

How many bogie side trucks do you need? I have some extra originals as well as reproductions. The RITTER ones might be okay, but they certainly have to be modified (machined) before they fit as originals.

The Version 1 is certainly worth finding good original parts for.

Best regards,

Paul
Offline steventrain  
#18 Posted : 06 November 2011 11:12:19(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi smurfillo,

Welcome to the forum.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline smurfillo  
#19 Posted : 06 November 2011 14:39:43(UTC)
smurfillo

Hi, CCS800KrokHunter3, I need four boggie side for the cars (I bought the train without them) I think they had zincpest (the wheels have it) but still runs well, and they aren't difficult to get. The other parts are free of zincpest and the box is in excellent condition, well I have the original manuals in German and French, they were printed in 1949.

Hi, steventrain, thank you.