Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Webmaster  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2010 21:42:57(UTC)
Webmaster

Just bought a 60129 CONNECT 6017 for a cheap price, has anyone used this to connect the old style boosters 6015 & 6017 to a CS1/Ecos layout?

As I understand mfx feedback will not work, am I wrong?

Since I have a CS1 and a couple of boosters, I thought I would try it...

How about together with CS2? Is it an obsolete piece then? (Just in case I would get a CS2 in the future...)

Any usage reports & suggestions are welcome...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Online mvd71  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2010 03:05:30(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Juhan,

If I recall correctly the mfx will not work through the boosters, simply because the 6015/6017 boosters never had the ability to deal that technology.

I sold my CS1, bought the CS2 and subsequently bought the 60128 to be able to connect the 6021. The 6015/6017 can then be plugged in directly to the CS2. I've found this to be an excellent setup and would recommend it to anyone wanting to be able to use the old with the new.

Cheers....

Mike.

Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2010 10:22:51(UTC)
H0

Webmaster wrote:
Is it an obsolete piece then?

You can connect the 6017 directly to either a CS1 or a CS2.

Product database reads: "This unit gives you an optional way to connect and integrate the Märklin Digital 6017 Booster and 6015 Booster into the Märklin Systems world. It allows you to locate the Booster anywhere compared to the direct connections to the current Central Station."

Optional sounds more friendly than obsolete.

You can try Tams Booster Link to enable mfx feedback with non-mfx boosters.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 29 December 2010 19:54:33(UTC)
Webmaster

Sounds good enough for me, can be usable in some way... It was cheap...Wink
I like to have options... BigGrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Online mvd71  
#5 Posted : 29 December 2010 21:36:16(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Quote:
You can try Tams Booster Link to enable mfx feedback with non-mfx boosters.

I haven't tried one of those. How do they work Tom?

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 30 December 2010 01:23:18(UTC)
H0

mvd71 wrote:
How do they work Tom?

On the booster side it listens to mfx feedback, on the CS side it re-creates the mfx feedback so the CS receives it, too.
I haven't tried them yet but I read positive feedback on Stummi's Forum.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Online mvd71  
#7 Posted : 30 December 2010 08:47:57(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Interesting. It would be nice to try one out, although I'm not a big fan of mfx, so having just one section of the layout mfx capable would be sufficient for me.

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline clapcott  
#8 Posted : 01 January 2011 02:44:19(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Juhan,

I am not sure why the discussion connects this specifically with a Central Station (1 or 2). Each of these has Booster connections (unless you have a non-updated CS1 - for which the 60129 was the original stop-gap)

I will agree with the comment about distance from the CU (rather than the 2m ribbon cable) however I would caution against "picking up the signal from the track close by" and would run a good clean feed from close to the CU.

For my part I see the 60129 as being best positioned alongside those CUs without an existing booster connection. - i.e. Mobile Station or Delta Units - Thus providing a bit more ompf for the small modeler who wishes to explore layout size and number of trains rather than bells and whistles of a Central Station.
The 60129 and 6015/7s are really just a detector and amplifier so, one thing I have been meaning to test is, do they relay DCC in addition to the 1-255 MM address range put out by the MS2.

I see the mFX point as a distraction. In combination with Transformer/Common ground concerns I would quite happily keep this to its own circuit - "test track" or "accessory only" bus

Gotcha. Just in case you have not come across the issue yet.
Be aware that the 6015/7 boosters have a means of detecting a short that also includes the balanced signal of a CS sending only mFX. (The original Marklin system had an inherent voltage bias)
To get the 60129 to "light up" after first switching on a CS you must dial up at least one loco with MM protocol.

The 60129 managed boosters will also short out correctly as needed but will NOT have any way to indicate this to the main CU. Thus some other indicator is helpful - especially if the boosters are at a distance. To reset the circuit after a short/cutout one must switch the input from the CU off then on. This can be "annoying" for the trains running on the rest of the layout - I suggest a separate switch (using the separate feed suggested above) to restrict this inconvenience.
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott