Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Gregor  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2003 18:17:22(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hello all,

To save turnouts in a large shadow station, I have been playing with the thought to have an entrance track and one exit track, and have a sliding plane with parallel tracks in between. A bit like the modern sliding ' turntable' 7294, but now with several sliding tracks instead of just one, which are each long enough to contain a complete train rather than just one loc.

UserPostedImage

<font face="Arial]Märklin 7294 sliding table
</font id="Arial]

In my less realistic dreams, there are even more planes located above each other, and a automatic mechanism to move this whole construction horizontally and vertically in order to align the proper track to the entrance and exit tracks.

A very simple manual example with 5 tracks I have seen once. Since I need to store approx. 25 trains, my sliding shadow station would be 5 tracks wide and 5 platforms high.

The main trouble would be the mechanical system to move such a heavy construction, and achieving perfect alignment with the entrance and exit tracks. My sense for reality has brought me to the point where I want to abandon the whole idea, but before doing so, I would like to hear your opinion. Maybe some of your tips can turn this dream into reality.

Regards,
Gregor

Edited by moderator 10 January 2011 19:20:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Bart  
#2 Posted : 28 December 2003 20:02:23(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Hi,
let's join the fantasy for a while Smile,
For moving sideways, using wheels on a baseboard would be easiest. I guess wheels, rubber tires and ball-bearings can be obtained as parts for large-scale radio-controlled cars, e.g., at Conrad.
Or, why not put your old M-track on the baseboard, and put the whole thing on a large number of old waggon chassis. (A good way to use your old Fleischmann stuff after all [}:)]).
For alignment, I would prefer a non-mechanical system, e.g., with a led and photo diode. However, it may be safer to design a system that locks the thing in place, as is used for the turntables. One can think of making that from an old turnout solenoid. Activate the outgoing movement just before the thing aligns with a hole in the non-moving part, and a piston goes in.[^]
*Bart
Offline Gregor  
#3 Posted : 28 December 2003 21:19:43(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   

Hi Bart,

Indeed the piston lock was present in my thoughts as well. Only worry is to prevent it from getting stuck. [V]

I noticed you did not enter the slippery path of vertical movement! wink. I was thinking of spindles myself.

Whatever solution is constructed, it has to be a very accurate design. And firm as well, since it will contain a lot of value within.

Best regards,
Gregor

Offline rugauger  
#4 Posted : 28 December 2003 22:20:50(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Hi Gregor,

Not sure about the horizontal movement - seems tricky to me, and if you're planning a 5x5 setup, then a 3-way turnout plus two standard turnouts either end wouldn't be too much, would it? Furthermore, think about the time it would take to move across horizontally; after all, this thing is supposed to be part of a "working" layout?

Let's assume that an "exchange" of train happens every time, i.e. every time a different train exits the shadow station to the one that enters it. If you build 5 parallel tracks, at least you wouldn't have to move your contraption every time, only every 5 times.

For vertical movement, I like the spindle drive idea combined with piston/lock - should give you maximum precision.

Good luck!
Richard
Offline Nuno  
#5 Posted : 29 December 2003 15:08:41(UTC)
Nuno

Hi

Interesting idea, but I also think that both horizontal and vertical movements are not practical. I would bet on the standard yard with just the vertical motion, that would change its position as soon as all trains in that level had changed.
But even so, it seems something very difficult to accomplish in a fully automatic and precise way. But we are allowed to dream...wink

Cheers,

Nuno Smile
Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 29 December 2003 16:24:59(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
let's continue dreaming....biggrin
i think that vertical and hotizontal movements are unpractical, so we will have to construct some sort of a cylinder with the tracks in its edges, so we only have to control one movement and requiring significant less energy, to keep all tracks horizontal everytime so loks don't fall, the supports of tracks must be articulated and keep in its position by some sort of gyroscopic device, in order to the proper alignment you must use to control the rotary movement a step motor wich move only a known distance when it get a pulse of electricity (Like the ones used for control the heads of printing devices).
Well, i think that such device will not be very hard to construct by someone with electronic and hand work skills, but if it wouldn´t, we are just dreaming....SmileSmile
Bye
Francisco
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Bart  
#7 Posted : 29 December 2003 20:46:39(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Right, right! I was having the same idea. Cool
A system like a revolver. Suspending the tracks by an arch-like system (which doubles as catenary masts) will keep them horizontal through the weight of the trains. [^]

BTW have you seen Sean Fanelli's train rack?
http://www.polar.sunynassau.edu/~fanellis/rack.html
You might think of making a stationary rack, and moving the ramps instead, like those of a ferry boat.
Less challenging, less fun, but doable.
*Bart
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bart
Offline Gregor  
#8 Posted : 31 December 2003 08:31:54(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hello dreamers,

I like the idea of the cylinder (especially the weight equilibrium it posesses), however to be able to store 25 trains, the diameter would be huge. Unless you could create concentric rings of storage tracks within.

The tracks have to be mounted on a very, very stiff support, since they can only be attached to the cylinder on the beginning and end of the track. The tracks have to be approx. 2 meters, with the full weight of the train resting on it, so this will have to be like a long rectangular cage structure with 45° cross bars (like the old bridges). This will be a nightmare to build (25 times) although there should be some standard stuff available that matches the requirements.

Also it would be difficult to pack the trains closely together since the cages need space to revolve without hitting each other.

I think I prefer to go back to the old solution, but indeed abandon the horizontal movement, because it will simply take up too much horizontal space. (Sorry Bart, now you need a new destination for your old Fleishmann locs wink). Vertical space is usually not a problem. So I am back at a rack, to be counterbalanced by a dead weight (or a second train filled rack...) Maybe tonight's champagne will trigger some new ideas for realising this.

The moving Ferry boat slope could work nicely with a low number of levels. For higher racks, the slope length would have to be too long in order not to exceed Marklin's 3% gradient rule. For 5 levels, height difference between level 1 and 5 would be ca. 400 mm, so plus or minus 200 mm is to be covered by the slope. Let's violate Marklin's rule up to 5%, then the required slope length is still 4 meters !

I liked the manual solution of Sean Fanelli's train rack. (link http://www.polar.sunynas....edu/~fanellis/rack.html posted by Bart). You can recognise the love for modelling by the fact that they applied grass in such a storage system. Very nice.

All the best for 2004 !
Gregor
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 31 December 2003 17:03:21(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi Gregor, i will continue with the idea of the cylinder, indeed to store a large amount of trains the diameter has to be great, but for the problem of support the tracks "the revolver analogy" work well: if you construct it like a great revolver nut, you will have a great cylinder (wich is the one that turns) and a number of smaller cylinders on the edges (like tunnels) so the tracks could be in permanent contact with its walls by some sorts of wheels, in this way you can have as many points of support as you wish.
Bye
Francisco
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Gregor  
#10 Posted : 01 January 2004 12:48:47(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   

Hello Francisco, happy new year !

I see much better now what you mean, indeed you can fully support the tracks in the way you describe.

The small cylinders would need an aligning piston on both ends, because there will always be some twist between both ends. Also attention should be paid to accessibility of the tracks, but this should not be a showstopper.

I'm afraid I did not have enough Champagne to work out both concepts right now, but I certainly will spend some drafting efforts to both alternatives.

Best regards,
Gregor

Offline Gregor  
#11 Posted : 02 January 2004 22:41:31(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hello All,

I have spent some time to work out Francisco's and Bart's revolver idea.
To store a train, the diameter of the small cylinder has to be Ø100 mm (CD size).
UserPostedImage

Then the storage cylinders would look like this:
UserPostedImage
They are partially open to allow access. Required length is 1980 mm (11 tracks) for 1 loco and 6 cars.

The whole assembly consists of a shaft, with 5 disks that hold the storage cylinders through bearings:
[img]https://www.marklin-users.net/upload/Community/Layoutconst/gregor/Assembly.jpg/img]

When some mass is added to the lower halve of the storage cylinders, these will rotate on their own when the whole asembly turns. When the assembly has reached the desired position, alignment pistons on both cylinder ends will align the storage track to the inlet and outlet tracks.

When the storage cylinders do not rotate due to their own weight, they have to be actuated by a motor, or through some gearing to the assembly rotation. This will make the assembly even more trickier than it already is.

It seems to me that in order to create a functioning assembly like this, a level of precision will be required which exceeds my skills and equipment. Also to store 25 trains, the assembly will have to have a diameter of more than 1 meter.

Therefore I will start experimenting with a 5 level vertically moving assembly with 5 tracks on each level.
UserPostedImage
The assembly can be split and partially lifted in case access is necessary. ([V] happens)

I intend to use standard rail systems for large drawers to guide the assembly vertically. Lifting will either be achieved through cables or scissor-like support underneath. Don't know yet. First finish the last bottle of Champagne.....

Best regards and let's dream on,
Gregor

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 16:45:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline franciscohg  
#12 Posted : 02 January 2004 23:08:20(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Wow, Great work Gregor.....Seems like champagne was very wellbiggrinbiggrin
You're right, perhaps for storing 25 trains the device is unpractical, maybe not for less trains, you can also fit your device under your first layout level in a hidden area, to fit to the station only the top track, this way the device will be in its majority under the plywood with cables and other stuff, it will be like an icebergSmile
Bye
Francisco
Offline Bart  
#13 Posted : 03 January 2004 01:21:18(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Gregor, That certainly looks great.
My storage plan included an 8-10 level helix in a cupboard, feeding a single track to each level of a glass showcase.
However, a single (or double) track 10-level glass-walled Gregor Elevator which doubles as a showcase would even be more attractive Cool.

A vertical, threaded shaft on each side may be another way of lifting. Would allow very precise alignment. I like the drawer rail systems for guiding.
*Bart
Offline rugauger  
#14 Posted : 05 January 2004 17:38:47(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
There is also an interesting concept by Dr Konig - http://home.nexgo.de/dr....nig/digital/paternos.htm (sorry, only in German) - which also deals with the problem of storage.
Richard
Offline Gregor  
#15 Posted : 05 January 2004 21:56:29(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hi Richard,

It seems that Dr. Koenig has stumbled upon the same "Vielzahl von Problemen und Problemchen" as we did, and from the dates (1998) I derive that the Paternoster project never saw a successfull ending.

His problems with the 1 meter long cages multiply themselves when we want to aim for 2 meter long cages, like we do. (Twice as long = 4 times more deflection). His main problems are the same as I mentioned earlier (quote &lt;It seems to me that in order to create a functioning assembly like this, a level of precision will be required which exceeds my skills and equipment&gt;).

As for the vertical elevator version: I am currently trying to incorporate this in my layout plans, but the 2 meter length, and the required extra length for the turning tracks, make it a difficult nut to crack.

I'll keep you posted, but if you do not hear from me and it's suddenly 2009, you can assume the project has suffered the same faith as Dr. Koenigs Paternoster. ([xx(])

Best regards,
Gregor
Offline Webmaster  
#16 Posted : 05 January 2004 23:24:02(UTC)
Webmaster

Well, grey plastic plumbing tubes are rather rigid - could that be an idea for the "revolver"? Some trouble fitting track into them, though....
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Gregor  
#17 Posted : 08 January 2004 15:28:37(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Indeed they are rigid enough, and they are lightweigth.

It now occurs to me that in order to feed the tracks, some kind of sliding contact will have to be constructed on the cylinders.

I have to confess that the revolving cylinder idea has died in favour of the vertical lift, at least for my layout. As storage concept for smaller amounts of trains it still might work.

Best regards,
Gregor

Offline 7gauges  
#18 Posted : 08 January 2004 16:50:15(UTC)
7gauges

Canada   
This revolver idea was shown at the Nuernberg toy fair in 1998, by the same company that makes "Train Safe", and if I recall the MIBA artikel it was very, very expensive and took up a considerable amount of room.

BTW it was also patented.
Collecting / Fixing and Running trains since 1966.
Offline rugauger  
#19 Posted : 08 January 2004 18:36:29(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by 7gauges
<br />...BTW it was also patented.
Well, in my world, "patented" means I cannot build one and sell it, but I would surely build one if I wanted one for my own purposes... wink I just won't tell anyone where to find my layout biggrin
Richard
Offline Maxi  
#20 Posted : 08 January 2004 19:27:55(UTC)
Maxi

I guess it would be very expensive since each tube must be able to rotate in order to prevent the locomotive and cars from derailing in the tube.

You would also need an indexing system so you know where tube number 1 is and what tube is being occupied.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote: and if I recall the MIBA artikel it was very, very expensive and took up a considerable amount of room.

Offline Gregor  
#21 Posted : 09 January 2004 14:25:40(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hi Maxi,

Indexing can take place by having notches on the main cylinder, which enable switches connected to an S88 detection module. If you use 4 inputs, you can create 2^4 = 16 combinations (like binary numbers), for 16 storage tracks.

Tube occupation you can combine with track supply. (Current detection). But it means that apart from sliding contacts on each tube, you would need to have one slider for each storage track on the main cylinder as well. Unless..... You do not allow the cylinder to keep rotating in one direction, but only back and forth. Then you can connect everything by normal cables, who will not be overtwisted.

Gregor