Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#1 Posted : 24 August 2007 07:48:05(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hello everyone!

I am sorry for posting so many threads here but the "Collectors Corner" would be dead except for a few posts if I didn't!

My question today is where Replika Kartons (look I am speaking German I tried so hard to Google search for them) can be found. I found a few on Ebay but I couldn't find a company name on any of them...

I am sorry if this has been answered before, I couldn't find the link. I even looked in the Boxes! Boxes! thread and the question was asked but never answered.

Thanks again,
Bill
Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 24 August 2007 08:31:47(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
The manufacturer of the Marklin replica boxes was (or still is?) an Italian company called Gaudenzi. Meanwhile, Marklin has apparently taken legal steps against the production of this interesting stuff.

However, at least here in Switzerland a distributor still exists who regularly sells the stuff at flea markets/swap meets. Because the business is probably not entirely legitimate, no names and addresses can be provided. But, if you look at the following link, you might find an interesting bit of information at the bottom of the page... :-) Good luck!

http://hoshi.homeunix.ne...gsuch=Bologna&lsuch=*
#3 Posted : 24 August 2007 09:14:16(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
I was wondering if the production of replika boxes was entirely legal myself. It seems that if they did it to boxes, they must do it to all replika parts. I think replika parts are great as long as they are represented as replikas! I wonder what the real story is.

I researched the name given and it seems all the information has been erased. Except for that one link you gave me....

Thanks for the information,
Bill
Offline Unholz  
#4 Posted : 24 August 2007 10:17:51(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by CCS800KrokHunter3
<br />I was wondering if the production of replika boxes was entirely legal myself. It seems that if they did it to boxes, they must do it to all replika parts. I think replika parts are great as long as they are represented as replikas! I wonder what the real story is.

Well, the story is probably that Marklin's legal department is very active (perhaps too active...?) when they sense any kind of infringement of Marklin's trade marks, etc. They are reputed to have even intervened against Internet domains containing the name Marklin (for instance, as a hypothetical example, www.marklinfriends.com). Since the replica boxes do show the former Marklin trade mark (what else? :-)) and all other typical elements of the real stuff, the holder of the rights is likely entitled to stop any unauthorized reproduction of the boxes.

Marklin might make quite a good deal if they maintained their own department that would legally sell replica boxes, perhaps distinguished by some kind of stamp (inside) indicating that the boxes are not actually old.
#5 Posted : 24 August 2007 10:23:00(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Thank you so much for the information!

I never thought about the Marklin logo being on the boxes (well its all OVER the boxes!). I guess that would explain why it would be easier to make say reproduction roof vents. Also in the internet domain as you mentioned before.

Thanks so much!

-Bill
Offline bgemski  
#6 Posted : 24 August 2007 13:29:41(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
My Father collected trains in the past, he loved Lionel, and this topic was very hot at one time. The boxes were very, very similar but not exact. If i remember corectly the coloring was off just a little. Its funny how this starrted in our Marklin world also. I guess history repeats.
Offline Joe53  
#7 Posted : 25 August 2007 09:34:35(UTC)
Joe53

Hello All,

I'm not sure if I am getting this in the right thread, but my 2 cents worth on the replica cartons. I have seen them offered on ebay from time to time, and described as such, but have never purchased one. What I have observed, and have been told, is that the replica Marklin cartons do not have the staples.

Joe
Joe
#8 Posted : 25 August 2007 09:42:37(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Very interesting.....

I have never heard or seen that they do not come with staples. It would be a good way to tell a replika from an original though and maybe is now required.

I have never seen a replica on ebay.com but here are a few on ebay.de:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Roter...WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.de/Maerk...WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Both of these have staples. The trained eye (anyone who has seen a real box before) can easily tell they are replicas.

I would see no use in owning a replica (especially since they aren't cheap). They have no value to a collector.

The reason I brought this topic up was out of pure curiosity. I was wondering how they were manufactured. The paper is so unusual because it is like a thin but strong cardboard. I would imagine the red design was printed in sheets then cut and stapled then the label was glued on. Very fascinating!

Thanks,
Bill
Offline Joe53  
#9 Posted : 25 August 2007 10:00:02(UTC)
Joe53

Hi Bill,
Right you are about the staples. I have seen them without staples too. Could there be more than one manufacturer?

On another subject, boxes with missing labels, you previously mentioned that some people may tear off labels, and then claim them as original boxes for other items. This may well happen, but I don't think a box without a label really improves the value of an item, but it is still nice to have it for storage. A savy seller would know that they could get more for the box with the label, selling it separately. Many vintage Marklin boxes have incomplete labels, do to the fact that they have been stored in damp enviroments, and those little bugs they call "Silverfish", eat the labels.

Regards,
Joe
Joe
Offline al_pignolo  
#10 Posted : 02 September 2007 14:27:44(UTC)
al_pignolo

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Unholz
<br />The manufacturer of the Marklin replica boxes was (or still is?) an Italian company called Gaudenzi. Meanwhile, Marklin has apparently taken legal steps against the production of this interesting stuff.

Hi.
I'm really surprised about this. I have bought sometimes replika boxes from Mr. Gaudenzi (he lives and works in my city). His boxes are wonderful and give more "taste" to every collection!
I really can't understand why maerklin should oppose it, since these productions have been discontinued... there are some companies that produce spare parts for older locos (TTN, RItter, Sehling)... it seems to me it's the same thing!
Regards,
Pietro
Offline MärCo  
#11 Posted : 02 September 2007 16:22:40(UTC)
MärCo

You can try —&gt;

http://www.sehling.de/

Look at —&gt;

Sammlerkartons
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline john black  
#12 Posted : 07 September 2007 21:28:20(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />M's legal department is very active

Those clowns better care about the crappy quality [xx(][xx(][xx(]
of that (€300 !!!) Harry Potter starter set they sold to my Grandkids.
In contrary to some surely nice replica boxes <u>that's</u> an item never deserving the M logo ...

And no - I don't want any cash back. But for each of those junk sets sold
M oughta give €100 to some non-profit health care organisation for children ... Smile
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline mj  
#13 Posted : 10 September 2007 12:24:24(UTC)
mj

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by al_pignolo
<br />
Quote:
<br />The manufacturer of the Marklin replica boxes was (or still is?) an Italian company called Gaudenzi. Meanwhile, Marklin has apparently taken legal steps against the production of this interesting stuff.

Hi.
I'm really surprised about this. I have bought sometimes replika boxes from Mr. Gaudenzi (he lives and works in my city). His boxes are wonderful and give more "taste" to every collection!
I really can't understand why maerklin should oppose it, since these productions have been discontinued... there are some companies that produce spare parts for older locos (TTN, RItter, Sehling)... it seems to me it's the same thing!
Regards,
Pietro

The reason why this isn't the same thing as for the spare parts that Ritter, Sehling etc are producing is that the name Märklin isn't printed on the spare parts. It's a copyright issue, when making a reproduction of an old box, say the red one from the 50's you use the Märklin name (unauthorized) and that is what Märklin is opposing. They are just protecting their trademark...
Magnus
Offline kweekalot  
#14 Posted : 05 September 2012 13:16:13(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Wow, I found this 5 years sleeping topic.
But it is still actual.
The Italian Gaudenzi replika or repro boxes are still traded, see here: link counterfeit box Ebay
Scary, I cann't see the difference.
Here some Ebay photos of the counterfeit aka replika aka repro box 3023.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Offline kweekalot  
#15 Posted : 10 September 2012 20:57:38(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi All,

And today another Replika box sold for € 99.00 by the same Italian shop.....Blink
I could not see the difference....

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline kweekalot  
#16 Posted : 10 September 2012 21:11:47(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
And another one....same Italian shop... embty phony "replika" box sold today for € 92
This must should be a "good business". Blink

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot