Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2013 10:59:49(UTC)
H0

The German press release can be found here:
http://www.focus.de/fina...satzziel_id_3449499.html

They will not reach the expected sales of 112 mill. Euros in 2013, result will be just a little bit higher than 2012 (107 mill. Euros).

In the past they used increased dealer discounts to reach their expected sales, but they will not do this in the future as it damages the brand.

I'm not surprised by this move, I expected that. While looking for an investor, they needed growing sales to make the company attractive for potential buyers.
Now they have to live with customers that learned that they burn money when placing pre-orders as items sell with big discounts only few months after first availability.

They don't mention their "Locos of the month" - but maybe this series comes to an end now.

Edit: Link to complete interview:
http://www.stuttgarter-n...4-8faf-a397ff9f2fc4.html

Edited by user 03 December 2013 22:12:29(UTC)  | Reason: New link to complete interview.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 20 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline biedmatt  
#2 Posted : 03 December 2013 13:34:35(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I always figured Marklin's gross sales would have been higher than 107M euros. I guess they are not as big as I thought. I wonder what the sales were back in the good old days before the family ownership went bust? I imagine those figures were never made public.

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

In the past they used increased dealer discounts to reach their expected sales, but they will not do this in the future as it damages the brand.

They do a lot to themselves that also damages the brand.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline AshleyH  
#3 Posted : 03 December 2013 13:37:41(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
Hmmm, well at the beginning of 2013 Marklin had one of the biggest stock clearance sales I have ever witnessed.

Slower selling items, or items that has perhaps been deliberately over-produced ahead of the sale of the company, appeared through several German dealers on eBay.

I personally bought a 37705 and a 37813 for 150 Euros each, and a 37740 for just 130 Euros. Did that devalue the brand, yes I think it probably did, though I was delighted at the time.BigGrin

But, what I think is devaluing the brand far more is the switch to cheap disposable and now 3 pole motors. This coupled with more than a few 'quality' issues, I think does far more to harm the reputation for quality.

In G scale, the LGB brand has been terribly damaged by several high profile quality issues since the Marklin takeover. Most recently the new RhB Allegra, which should have been a flagship model, but is currently being slated on the forums for poor quality components and assembly. Earlier this year the E10 Electric was the subject of a factory recall, as they had forgotten to fit many of the electrical pickups.

The other problem is what then do you do with a warehouse full of unsold, unpopular models? I presume that production for 2013 was scaled to meet expected sales. OK they are not so far below predictions, but holding old stock costs money.

So maybe not the crazy fire sale of spring 2013, but I think we will still be offered the odd 'bargain' from time to time.......
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by AshleyH
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 03 December 2013 14:39:14(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
I always figured Marklin's gross sales would have been higher than 107M euros.
Without investigation and only from my memory: I think they were around 120M under Kingsbridge and around 160M before Kingsbridge and before they bought LGB.

On one hand, it's a shrinking market.

On the other hand, there are a few housemade problems: while Piko introduced the first G gauge models, LGB was busy transferring production from Germany to Hungary and could not deliver.
Z gauge also had times when they didn't deliver much and nothing on time (relocating production from Germany via China to Hungary).

New Märklin (after insolvency) is in a good starting position to present growing turn-over figures year by year, re-starting at a low level.

Sometimes they show figures for the Märklin holding (incl. Trix and LGB), sometimes they show figures for Märklin only.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 03 December 2013 16:01:06(UTC)
Goofy

They are wasting away to much money on the wrong things like "My world" and some things which was chaos and default.
They waste money by acting in the wrong way.
Even garden trains like LGB is not sale so good.
I´m not sure if scale 1 is going well,when they are expensive and other manefacture like Lenz(scale 0),KM1(scale 1) offers with better value to the customer.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Marius in Africa  
#6 Posted : 03 December 2013 16:06:13(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
The way i see the future Marklin is also very unlikely to have a wonderfull 2014 sales year.
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline sjlauritsen  
#7 Posted : 03 December 2013 16:37:23(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   

Finally! I always hated the fact, that I could just wait a few months and get the product at a discount. It completely took away the excitement of pre-ordering stuff.

Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 03 December 2013 22:14:03(UTC)
H0

Here's a link to the complete interview with Mr Sieber (German only - I didn't check the readability of the Google translation ...):
http://www.stuttgarter-n...4-8faf-a397ff9f2fc4.html
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline danmarklinman  
#9 Posted : 03 December 2013 22:41:29(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post

Finally! I always hated the fact, that I could just wait a few months and get the product at a discount. It completely took away the excitement of pre-ordering stuff.

Perhaps they will only now make the orders they get, or at least very much less than they made in the pastConfused
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 03 December 2013 23:18:14(UTC)
H0

A few years ago you could wait for Roco models to be dumped with 50% discount - no need to pre-order them.
Nowadays it can happen that you pre-order a Roco model - and later the model is cancelled because of not enough pre-orders.

I don't know if Märklin will also be as consequent as Roco.
In the interview Mr Sieber talks about trade fair discounts: pre-orders placed shortly after presentation of the toy fair new items allow them to estimate the size of their production runs.
If they disappoint the bargain hunters in 2014, the trade fair pre-orders in 2015 will be meaningful and helpful to determine the 2015 production runs. If they are consequent.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline petestra  
#11 Posted : 04 December 2013 00:23:05(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Thanks, Tom. Interesting article about the young Mr. Sieber. He seems like a nice

young man who admits he has much to learn. This is good for a young man. Confidence

in oneself is good but not too much when you're 28 years old. I like him and wish him

well with my favorite company. Cheers, Peter Cool
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 04 December 2013 03:35:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
What Maerklin, Roco and the other companies have to learn is that in face of lesser quality and inferior design, people are less willing to commit to pre-orders sight unseen based only on images contained in 'New Items' Brochures and photos of 'Demo' models exposed at Nuremberg or other Shows.
Based on the recent track record of these companies, people are hesitant to commit to buy, because they want to know how the final model will appear and whether the company will correct any issues that may be present on the 'Demo' or vis-a-vis earlier models of similar models.
This makes it harder for dealers and distributors to commit to specific quantities, which down the line, makes it harder for the company to determine what size production run is required.
One thing that might help, since these forums are places where their customers congregate, would be for the companies to invite forum members to view models in the earliest stages of production, and suggested corrections/improvements could be implemented in a manner which would hopefully reassure both the company and the customer that the product will meet the expectations of the modeller.
The problem is that if company X invests 1,000,000 in new models in year A and expects to bring in 1,750,000, of which 1,000,000 will be invested in the next year's new models, but the company only yielded a minimal profit or a slight loss, the tendency has been to clear out a number of those models to recover some of the money. The problem here is that dealers who paid full pop for the same item may not be happy at having to sell it for a loss or having to list it at full price when the shop down the street offers it for half price.
I would think that they may want to consider some sort of promotion where you buy a new model of the next year, it would make you eligible to buy one of the older models at say, half price. This way, they would get the sale of the new item, as well as helping to clear out surplus inventory of older models.
Discontinued models should still be liquidated, but with a reasonable discount. Dealers who want to gamble on those items can order one or more in the hope that after the factory is sold out, they might then be able to sell those models at higher prices if they ride out the liquidation phase.

But the bottom line is that the companies have to improve the quality to restore the number of committed advance orders, thereby reducing the need to liquidate the inventory at the end of each quarter or year.

Just my two cents

Regards

Mike C
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline kimballthurlow  
#13 Posted : 04 December 2013 22:32:47(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
I am surprised by how well Marklin have done, in the present global financial climate.

Here in Australia general retail sales are just flat, or in some segments, declining up to 20%.
And I can only guess it is as bad in Europe.

Would I be correct to say, Marklin sell only to persons with fairly high disposable incomes, or retirees who wish to spend their saved money that way?
In that case, their market is probably not diminishing as fast as the shrinking money supply in the general populace.

And I believe any advice presented here in this forum, regards Marklin's product range or marketing stance, will be seriously amiss.
Marklin know what they are doing.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline biedmatt  
#14 Posted : 04 December 2013 23:11:05(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
I am surprised by how well Marklin have done, in the present global financial climate.

Here in Australia general retail sales are just flat, or in some segments, declining up to 20%.

Would I be correct to say, Marklin sell only to persons with fairly high disposable incomes, or retirees who wish to spend their saved money that way?
In that case, their market is probably not diminishing as fast as the shrinking money supply in the general populace.

And I believe any advice presented here in this forum, regards Marklin's product range or marketing stance, will be seriously amiss.

regards
Kimball

Two bankruptcies (1-the family selling when liabilities exceeded assets and 2-an actual declared bankruptcy) does not suggest to me they know what they are doing, just that someone new is willing to risk their fortunes with Marklin. I wish Herr Sieber well, but the core administration (vice presidents and down) is most likely the very people who busted the company twice before. I am sure he is depending on them and their "knowledge" of the model railroad industry for advice and direction. He is humble enough to recognize model railroading is not a part of the toy market Simba Dickie have prior history. I think he would be better served by dumping the very people who broke the company and finding new blood both inside and outside the model railroad industry for advice.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 04 December 2013 23:33:39(UTC)
H0

There was the "compact c-sine desaster" when they used cheap electronics to control the excellent brushless DC motors from mfx decoders. Digital users didn't like it and analogue users hated it. The heard the uproar.

Now I'm afraid they make the same mistake again, leading to a "cheap three-pole motor debacle". Maybe they know what they're doing and there won't be a big uproar this time. Some digital users think the new motors are almost as good as the old motors, some users say they will boycott the new motors.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Western Pacific  
#16 Posted : 04 December 2013 23:38:42(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Hi,

regards
Kimball

Two bankruptcies (1-the family selling when liabilities exceeded assets and 2-an actual declared bankruptcy) does not suggest to me they know what they are doing, just that someone new is willing to risk their fortunes with Marklin. I wish Herr Sieber well, but the core administration (vice presidents and down) is most likely the very people who busted the company twice before. I am sure he is depending on them and their "knowledge" of the model railroad industry for advice and direction. He is humble enough to recognize model railroading is not a part of the toy market Simba Dickie have prior history. I think he would be better served by dumping the very people who broke the company and finding new blood both inside and outside the model railroad industry for advice.

I'm not sure your historical description is correct. As far as I understood it your #1 was not a bankruptcy just disagreement in the family on how to proceed and those who wnated to sell won. #2 was if I have under stood the legal situation not a full bankruptcy and as far as understand it was the German equivalent of the US "filing for chapter 11 protection". The reason for this second step was that Kingsbridge had used expensive consultants and ran the company dry of funds. The people that did this were dumped under the "Pluta" administration of the company and in my mind the remaining higher management do have the knowledge to develop models. In particular since the "Pluta" administration made them realize the importance of the cost of components and guarantee repairs when dumping the C-sine motors and instead standardize on fewer and cheaper motors. You could be right that Mr Sieber may have to look for some new blood in the areas of new "business opportunity tracing/identification".
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Western Pacific
Offline biedmatt  
#17 Posted : 05 December 2013 00:02:29(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: Western Pacific Go to Quoted Post

I'm not sure your historical description is correct. As far as I understood it your #1 was not a bankruptcy just disagreement in the family on how to proceed and those who wnated to sell won. #2 was if I have under stood the legal situation not a full bankruptcy and as far as understand it was the German equivalent of the US "filing for chapter 11 protection". The reason for this second step was that Kingsbridge had used expensive consultants and ran the company dry of funds. The people that did this were dumped under the "Pluta" administration of the company and in my mind the remaining higher management do have the knowledge to develop models. In particular since the "Pluta" administration made them realize the importance of the cost of components and guarantee repairs when dumping the C-sine motors and instead standardize on fewer and cheaper motors. You could be right that Mr Sieber may have to look for some new blood in the areas of new "business opportunity tracing/identification".

My "bankruptcy #1", this is sourced from Wiki, it may or may not be accurate:
On 11 May 2006, the company, which had until then been owned by the three families Märklin, Friz and Safft, was sold to the British investment group Kingsbridge Capital, with the support of the employees. The purchase price was approximately $38 million. At the time, Märklin had approximately $70.5 million in debt, as a result of several years of slumping sales.

My "bankruptcy #2"- I understand we are talking a German company and German law is what applies to Marklin and not US law, but in the US, chapter 11 bankruptcy is:rehabilitation or reorganisation, used primarily by business debtors, but sometimes by individuals with substantial debts and assets; known as corporate bankruptcy, it is a form of corporate financial reorganisation which typically allows companies to continue to function while they follow debt repayment plans.

So in both situations I believe we can safely state the company had been mismanaged.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline mrmarklin  
#18 Posted : 05 December 2013 00:16:46(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Under the Pluta administration there was positive cash flow, so hopefully the new owners paid a price according to that. Then there will be enough for investment purposes to obtain new models and product lines.

Regarding the My Marklin product line, this is a very long term investment because studies have shown that most kids leave the hobby later to rejoin it after remembering the childhood years.

Right now, Marklin has to maximize saless to us older people who collect and build layouts that maybe we couldn't afford or have time for while our kids were with us. In the market this demands a high quality product IMHO.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#19 Posted : 05 December 2013 00:19:38(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
What broke Marklin the last time was Kingsbridge and Goldman Sachs fleecing Marklin out of 20 million or so euros for 'Consultancy Fees', not Dummkopf middle managers. Thankfully, Mr Pluta put an end to that little lark!

As an aside, it didn't seem to save Goldman Sachs, they still did badly in the 2008 financial meldown.

As for the first Marklin set of troubles, didn't Paul Adams blame (or partially blame) the level of interest being charged by the banks on the Marklin debt.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 05 December 2013 00:34:01(UTC)
H0

On 11 May 2006, the company, which had until then been owned by the three families Märklin, Friz and Safft, was sold to the British investment group Kingsbridge Capital, with the support of the employees. The purchase price was approximately $38 million. At the time, Märklin had approximately $70.5 million in debt, as a result of several years of slumping sales.
Wikipedia refers to an article by DER SPIEGEL, but in that article I cannot find the figures quoted in Wikipedia.

The purchase price was never announced. A newspaper gave the figure of €30,000,000, but there is no confirmation.

It's right the company was owned by three families. Actually 22 persons owned the company - and they could only decide unanimously and one can imagine that this leads to a lack of decisions.
The decision to sell to Kingsbridge also took very long as three owners didn't want to sell.

The previous owners received money, so it's unlikely the debts were bigger than the value of the company. But debts were growing fast.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline biedmatt  
#21 Posted : 05 December 2013 01:18:32(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
What broke Marklin the last time was Kingsbridge and Goldman Sachs fleecing Marklin out of 20 million or so euros for 'Consultancy Fees', not Dummkopf middle managers. Thankfully, Mr Pluta put an end to that little lark!

20 million euros off the bottom line for consultancy is not helpful, especially if that consultancy did not yield any return on investment. But, over how many years was the 20 Million drawn from? Kinsbridge owned or operated Marklin for nearly 3 years. 20M euros over 3 years will not bankrupt a company even the relatively small size of Marklin. This was just one item in a string of many other management mistakes.

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
As for the first Marklin set of troubles, didn't Paul Adams blame (or partially blame) the level of interest being charged by the banks on the Marklin debt.

Again, just a drop in a bucket of mistakes. If you're in a solvent and secure situation, your interest rate is lower and you have more options to source those loans. Their management caused the high interest rate, not some banker who decided he would charge them an exorbitant rate. If it was simply that, they could have found another bank.
Matt
Era 3
Offline biedmatt  
#22 Posted : 05 December 2013 01:47:42(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Wikipedia refers to an article by DER SPIEGEL, but in that article I cannot find the figures quoted in Wikipedia.

The purchase price was never announced. A newspaper gave the figure of €30,000,000, but there is no confirmation.

It's right the company was owned by three families. Actually 22 persons owned the company - and they could only decide unanimously and one can imagine that this leads to a lack of decisions.
The decision to sell to Kingsbridge also took very long as three owners didn't want to sell.

The previous owners received money, so it's unlikely the debts were bigger than the value of the company. But debts were growing fast.

Agreed, debt did not exceed assets, the families did receive money. But when debt is $70 million and you sell for $38 million, your debt to asset ratio is poor and a very good reason for banks to worry and charge a high interest rate. If the numbers are correct, Marklin's net worth was about $108 million in 2006. If "debts were growing fast", it is only a matter of time. If a unanimous decision of 22 people was needed to reach a decision and the intangible factor of it being personal since it was a family owned business was surely a consideration, then clearly the family owned Marklin was not long for this world and they (some grudgingly) accepted that fact.
Matt
Era 3
Offline biedmatt  
#23 Posted : 05 December 2013 02:19:47(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Okay, we have seen how easy it is to find fault and place blame. That is in the past and the failures in and by themselves are now irrelevant. Let's make this thread something positive. The question I propose is what were the mistakes made? Have they learned from history or are they headed the same way with someone else's money? I think it's clear the past Marklin failures were the results of many mistakes, not simply 20m euros skimmed by greedy "consultants" or just high interest rates. Most companies can survive a mistake or three. If you can not survive a few mistakes, then you gambled too big and that by itself is a huge management mistake. Those kinds of gambles are taken by entrepreneurs who do not mind the risks. Single owner companies, not corporations with several owners or stockholders. So what did they do wrong? What do you like about Marklin? What do you dislike and wish they would change or fix?
Matt
Era 3
Offline jeehring  
#24 Posted : 05 December 2013 16:51:02(UTC)
jeehring

... some figures & analysis given by Wikipédia are just about anything !!!....
Offline kimballthurlow  
#25 Posted : 07 December 2013 06:20:24(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
Here is an example of what may be called "strange" marketing from Marklin.
But it probably proves in an indirect way, that they know what they are doing.

Maerklin HO car 94422 of a limited production of 999 pieces, is around 55 Euros.
This is an era IIIa SNCF wine wagon, which ordinarily would appeal to French buyers of Marklin models.

You will not find it to my knowledge, in any French hobby or train shops, or on their respective web sites. (I may be incorrect)
You will however find it on multiple Swiss vendor websites, and a few Italian ones.
Is this where the collector money is?

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 07 December 2013 07:40:53(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Maerklin HO car 94422 of a limited production of 999 pieces, is around 55 Euros.
This is an era IIIa SNCF wine wagon, which ordinarily would appeal to French buyers of Marklin models.
I didn't find this set in my 2008 Koll, but I guess this set was made by Märklin on behalf of another company (Märklin make many special models for huge dealers or dealer groups).
At least it's not in Märklin's product database. If it was, people in France and Germany or even Sweden could also buy it.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#27 Posted : 07 December 2013 23:22:04(UTC)
Webmaster

I must say that my impression is that Mr Pluta has turned the ship around by refocusing on the strengths and basic performance of the brand and not allowing the maximizing of "stockholder yield" that investment brokers/bankers are interested about (I call it "Suck the soul out of a company" - due to shortsighted opportunity economists...) ...

In short, Pluta saved the company from bankrupcy and made it a working company again after the excessive fund draining during the previous owners. I hope the Siebels will continue with a long term sane and rational expectation strategy and not expect huge profits yet...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline H0  
#28 Posted : 07 December 2013 23:53:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
I hope the Siebers will continue with a long term sane and rational expectation strategy and not expect huge profits yet...
They say it's a long-term investment.
They reduced the expectations for 2013 sales and stopped "emergency sales" to protect the brand from further damage. That looks like a move in the right direction IMHO.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline biedmatt  
#29 Posted : 08 December 2013 00:41:11(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I hope they do well. Their willingness to look long term (20+ years?) with My World may be a big help many years down the road. As stated above, many of these kids will come back to the hobby and remembering Marklin was their first be good for Marklin.
Matt
Era 3
Offline kimballthurlow  
#30 Posted : 08 December 2013 02:06:12(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi!
I didn't find this set in my 2008 Koll, but I guess this set was made by Märklin on behalf of another company (Märklin make many special models for huge dealers or dealer groups).
At least it's not in Märklin's product database. If it was, people in France and Germany or even Sweden could also buy it.

Hi Tom,
I believe this car is only available from this month.

regards
Kimball