Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nevw  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2013 01:04:06(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
You have been a member since:: 27/08/2005(UTC)
Views messages in topic : 11,071
I have just acquired some lighted carriages BUT have a slider and earth plate on each carriage.

I would like to change the couplings, mounted on hte Bogie to NEM Pockets so I can use some form of CCC, either RTS or the Mearklin 2 pole coupling.
I would be running the connecting wires through the hole in the bogie
I have asked around by email to friends if they know if there is a conversion part.

Attaching a Photo of the bogie with the existing coupling where I would like to put a NEM Pocket. Would also need the part number to get.
Propably would not have to be Marklin.

Thanks,
Nev
PS I know the axles are rusty and need lubed.
nevw attached the following image(s):
018.JPG
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline Lollo  
#2 Posted : 26 January 2013 08:43:57(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi John,

It might be this one you require. Part No. 344890
I will start a new thread with some Marklin Magazine articles that show Marklin coupler conversions on just about all types of rolling stock, plus other usefull info.

Here is the link to post. https://www.marklin-user...-useful-info.aspx#385069

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Lollo
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 26 January 2013 09:10:40(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Lollo Go to Quoted Post
It might be this one you require. Part No. 344890
I'm afraid that's not the right part.

I tried to find the correct number, but so far I had no luck.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 26 January 2013 09:22:59(UTC)
H0

Some sources say that 402660 (E402660) is the required part.
http://www.stummiforum.d...pic.php?p=360707#p360707

Other sources say that 7205 has a smaller hole than 402660.

I'm confused. Did anybody try those 402660?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 26 January 2013 09:33:52(UTC)
H0

The confusion grows: part E323679 was also recommended. Looks similar, but I don't know if it fits.
http://www.stummiforum.d...pic.php?p=615772#p615772
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline nevw  
#6 Posted : 26 January 2013 11:41:39(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Thanks all , willhave to explore but not tonight.
Thanks for the leads.

nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline nevw  
#7 Posted : 27 January 2013 00:33:54(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Some sources say that 402660 (E402660) is the required part.
http://www.stummiforum.d...pic.php?p=360707#p360707

Other sources say that 7205 has a smaller hole than 402660.

I'm confused. Did anybody try those 402660?

402660 is not the part I want. If you look at my photo carefully the coupling is pinned to the bogie with about a 1.5 mm split post. no big hole.

Will try to find pictures of the others.
I suppose one way would be to super glue a NEM Pocket one on.

N
back to the sleuthing

the present coupling on the carriage is NOT a 7205
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 27 January 2013 07:44:43(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
402660 is not the part I want. If you look at my photo carefully the coupling is pinned to the bogie with about a 1.5 mm split post. no big hole.
Do you have a spare part number for the coupler you have? To me it looks like a 7205 would fit.

Here's a picture of the 402660 (bottom). Is the coupler you have different from the one at the top? To me it looks like the Märklin standard coupler they also use for the Hobby beer cars.
Märklin 402660
The 7205 replaces 701570 and 701580 and works fine with beer cars and similar Hobby cars.

A Benzingring Nr. 608020 was mentioned in connection with 402660, but was not confirmed.
http://www.stummiforum.d...pic.php?p=581484#p581484
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline nevw  
#9 Posted : 27 January 2013 21:58:16(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Tom,
My coupler has NO Big hole, held on by a split post that looks like a slotted screw in the photo. I will take it off today and take a photo.

Thanks,
Nev
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 27 January 2013 22:58:41(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Nev,

There was a company called Symoba that used to make close coupling adapters for loks, cars and coaches. As far as I remember, there was also Ribu (Rietze).
http://www.symoba-schniering.de/produkte.htm
http://www.rietze.de/de/ribu/ribu_train.htm

I found this article on Stummi that may be of assistance: http://ww.stummiforum.de...pic.php?f=27&t=12576
and this one: http://www.bahn.hfkern.d...rklin_Sonst/KK_Pers.html

I suppose that you could take a Maerklin 72020, cut the shaft just to the rear of the coupling and glue it on to the shaft from a Maerklin 7205. Using the H F Kern page as a guide, you could trim this to allow for the closest possible operation of coaches. All you would have to do then is to solder the wire from the coach lighting to the metal protrusion from the 72020 and seal using heat shrink tube or tape.

Regards

Mike C
Offline solentgreen  
#11 Posted : 13 February 2013 07:46:52(UTC)
solentgreen

Hong Kong   
Hello to all,
I recently also did some conversions of a few of my locos. to NEM pockets. Some were not too difficult and accomplished by finding suitable NEM pocket adaptors to fit. Others were harder and required a bit of modifying. The locos. I have done to date are:-

1) Marklin 3357 BR103 elec. loco. - successfully converted by substituting original coupler bar with part E440630 - I got the part from www.spielwaren-hegmann.de

2) Marklin 3329 BR191 elec. loco. - successfully converted substituting with part E345760 - part also from www.spielwaren-hegmann.de

3) Marklin 3074 BR216 diesel loco. - this model needed a bit of modification work. It was finally done also with part E345760 but I had to convert the mounting with a screw. If anyone is interested, I can post more details.

In your case, and from the information I have unearthed, it looks like you need to try modifying the most suitable available part to fit. In the case of my firs 2 listed locos, I was able to get the exact part which would simply fit in and do the job. But with other models, like my 3074, this was not possible and I had to use the most suitable part available and then do some modification to get it to fit properly.

In your case, I think its worth a try to get a part 402660 and see if this can be fitted in place of the original part. I take your point that the hole on part 402660 may be bigger than the split post on your wagon but I have found this is not critical. What is critical is if the 402660 hole is too big to be retained by the split post, then you need to find or make a thin washer with a right sized hole which can be held in place by the 1.5mm.split post head. If the thickness of part 402660 is too wide to be accommodated by the length of the split post, this cannot work.

One last point, http://www.toottoot.co.nz/ stocks a number of parts for coupler conversions. Their Marklin part numbers starts with prefix MAR

Hope this information is of help.

Bennett.
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 13 February 2013 09:00:13(UTC)
H0

Hi, Bennett!

It seems that number 671860 would be correct for a 3074. I converted my old BR 103 with 404020 (required a simple modification of the 404020: cut of the springs that are meant to keep it straight if those are part of the loco truck).

671860 will not work for old BR 216 models. See also:
http://www.schnug-modell.../Tipps/adapter671860.htm

Back to Nev's topic: there's a new thread on Stummi's forum where someone had coupler pockets made with a 3D printer (while another chap writes that 402660 worked for him as they came with small rings to make them fit (only hearsay, still haven't tried it myself)):
http://stummiforum.de/vi...php?t=89018&p=956500
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark5  
#13 Posted : 15 February 2013 07:55:00(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Great topic. Been wanting to know more about this!
I am tired of having trains with 4 or 5 sliders just to keep the lighting on.
But with old relex I don't have much choice unless I use wires and plugs to connect and then keep coupled.
- Mark

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline JohnnyB  
#14 Posted : 15 February 2013 10:04:52(UTC)
JohnnyB

Australia   
I'm confused, why does it matter? If you've got a new one sure why not. But why fix what isn't broken?
Offline river6109  
#15 Posted : 15 February 2013 11:41:24(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: JohnnyB Go to Quoted Post
I'm confused, why does it matter? If you've got a new one sure why not. But why fix what isn't broken?

there are several reasons for it:

if you have carriages with

a.) different couplings (from different manufacturers
b.) as in one picture displayed, shorter distance between 2 carriages
c.) you can exchange them as you go along

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline JohnnyB  
#16 Posted : 16 February 2013 00:41:25(UTC)
JohnnyB

Australia   
Yeah I can understand the need for the NEM pocket mod and want for close couplers, I'm intending to do this to most of my cars. But if the coach's already have pick up shoes why change to current conducting couplers? I myself don't mix up my passenger cars as they stay together as a set, unless you want a whole lot of the same cars but I think variety makes a better layout.
Offline nevw  
#17 Posted : 16 February 2013 02:41:42(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: JohnnyB Go to Quoted Post
Yeah I can understand the need for the NEM pocket mod and want for close couplers, I'm intending to do this to most of my cars. But if the coach's already have pick up shoes why change to current conducting couplers? I myself don't mix up my passenger cars as they stay together as a set, unless you want a whole lot of the same cars but I think variety makes a better layout.

Well I do not want 5 cars with Sliders in hte make up , one is enough. I have 4 now and adding a 5th Car. It has NEM Pockets so I I can convert the other cars to nem pockets I can Use Current Conducting Couplings , Use One Slider, have 3 spare sliders and Less drag.
Like you I do not mix the cars. always stay together as a set.
(Reminder. take a Coupling off and take a Photo.)RollEyes

NN
Offline solentgreen  
#18 Posted : 16 February 2013 07:26:09(UTC)
solentgreen

Hong Kong   
Hello all,

I tend to agree with nevw that there are advantages in limiting the number of pick-up shoes/sliders. Apart from the drag, sometimes there is a chance the pick-up shoe getting misaligned and causing shorts, especially the ones that are clipped on as is the case with some of the long passenger carriages .

By the way, Tom, thanks for advising re part 671860 being right for a 3074 loco. You are right this is the right part for the job; I spent quite sometime searching but did not find and learn of this part so I had to use a 345760 and modify the 3074 suspension moulding to fit; I have attached a photo of the end result fitted with a 117993 Telex coupler (excuse the untidy bit of tape used to keep the 117993 wires in place; its been tidied up since!). Thankfully, it works fine.

Bennett.

solentgreen attached the following image(s):
M#3074 modded & converted - lo rez.jpg