Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline vtmikev  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2012 21:20:59(UTC)
vtmikev

I was at my local hobby store spending my Christmas money and came across these sets....
I knew this is the future, trend for most manufacturing, and that quality will probably be as good as Marklin from Europe, but this sort of wrecked my day.....I will try to learn more about Marklin made in CHINA.
I guess this has been going on since its initial sale or its bankruptsy to maximize profits for the new owners.

I really wonder about the quality ,dependability and collectabilty of these models
vtmikev attached the following image(s):
MarklinChina.jpg
Offline Nightowl4933  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2012 21:26:53(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Hi Mike (?)

I think, as part of the problem in Europe, Märklin are bringing some manufacturing back 'in-house', although I think this would include their new factory in Györ, Hungary.

They're certainly bringing Z scale back 'home' because of quality issues. I'm not sure if this means the track or just the locomotives and rolling stock.

Pete
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
Z Scale is great - where's me glasses?
Offline vtmikev  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2012 21:39:10(UTC)
vtmikev

Hi Pete.
I wonder if most of the locos that I hear are dying were the ones made there or not
Yes, I will Google and search more...but these are the first sets that I have seen with a made in China label.
Thanks for the reply,
Mike
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2012 21:45:51(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
From your reaction I guess you must be from North America, though it doesn't show on your profile!

Marklin moved some of their production to China a couple of years ago, but Sanda Kan terminated their contract and they took the opportunity to bring production back to Europe. All the high quality models, I believe, are made in Germany and Hungary, and I believe some wagons and start sets are still being made in China. It's not clear what percentage of the total Marklin product is made in China at the moment, but I heard a figure of 10% being bandied about.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline BrandonVA  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2012 21:48:19(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
I've noticed this also. I assume it has to do with recovering from bankruptcy. I would certainly rather have Marklin items made in China than none at all. I do like German models, and I have several made in Hungry (including a lot of track) that seem to be just as good as the German made stuff. This year for Christmas I got a Kittle rail car (37256) and Kof (36826) locomotive. Both of these models were made in China, I believe the first I have. While I cannot speak to durability as time is too short, the initial quality seems to be just as good as the stuff from Germany/Hungry. Looking at them I would not know where they are made. The operation seems to be fine too, but of course only running for a short time since Christmas. I just got an order of new K track, all of which I received was made in Hungry. I also recently got a V200 "old red" (because I see a V200 is required of Marklin owners BigGrin ) 30210. It has a retro box and no manf. sticker on the outside, but I believe it was made in Germany.

I certainly don't want to start a debate, but I think long term in general the analog models will probably outlast the digital, as if the digital controllers fail they may be harder to replace in the future (analog is just simple electronics). Of course digital has a lot of benefits. I am not saying one is better than the other, just a hunch of what may happen in the future.

I have read at least one other discussion on this forum about the subject, searching may give more insight.
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2012 21:57:31(UTC)
Webmaster

This has been discussed numerous time in the forum, where also some model(s) made in China have been pointed out due to poorer metal alloy quality.

You should not automatically do the connection China = poor quality, since things that are considered "top quality" as all the iPod/iPad/iPhone as well as Nikon/Canon cameras and many other things are also made there...

Volvo, for some known as "Swedish quality" cars, is now owned by the Chinese...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Western Pacific  
#7 Posted : 12 January 2012 22:01:57(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   

From what I've understood laws in the US are quite strict when it comes to indicating origin. That would mean that even if the wagons are assembled in Gyor, but from parts made in for instance China, Hungary, Germany and perhaps even other countries, but the largest or most valuable parts come from China, then Märklin may have chosen to put the Made in China sticker there instead of a "short story" about various places of origin.

I don't know if you have any Roco models, but on the ones I have got recently it is only stated Made in EU and this supposedly has to do with the fact that Roco produce parts for their models in Austria, Slovakia and Romania and components may come from yet other countries.
Offline vtmikev  
#8 Posted : 12 January 2012 22:09:24(UTC)
vtmikev

Yes, I should of searched THIS Forum first ....other than just look at the active threads....I apologize for bringing it back up, but I do see it as a s
secret that only the dealers know about here in USA....
Here is a very good reference with great insight to the topic from this forumm in 2007

https://www.marklin-user...spx?g=posts&m=186588

None the less, it does bother me and I am glad to see most production heading back to Europe.
As for China, I feel we are setting up are own demise.....

Offline Webmaster  
#9 Posted : 12 January 2012 22:47:20(UTC)
Webmaster

No worries about bringing it up again, it's an ongoing issue that is the result of the constant profit maximizing efforts of companies who produce goods... If you can produce cheaper, it's a tempting option... It may backfire, though...

I myself am happy about the plan to move M production back to Europe, even if I must admit that especially the later steam locos (made in China?) have been exceptionally good regarding details and looks...

Unfortunately, outsourcing production does deteriorate the common "brand quality" feel of a "traditional" product as Märklin model trains are... Especially among those customers who are loyal to a brand known for quality through the years...

When the short sighted quarterly result bean counters get to rule, all real basic company values and common sense are thrown out through the nearest window and long term plans are forgotten... Really scary... Crying
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline john black  
#10 Posted : 12 January 2012 23:28:23(UTC)
john black

United States   
In the latter half of the past decade we surely had serious trouble with some of M's new "inventions" ...
Especially those funny mini motors, plastic cardan transmissions, crappy decoders & controllers gave us the guts Cursing

Done. When Doc Pluta took over (well, he's gone in the meantime) M's quality rocketed sky high, again - no trouble so far ThumpUp
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline vtmikev  
#11 Posted : 12 January 2012 23:29:15(UTC)
vtmikev

I am not sure where these new steam locos were made but I do agree with you about their high quality appearance, materials and detailing. They are great not only to watch on a layout but to hold in the hand..the details even stay on the loco and appear not to be plastic..very sturdy like "the old stuff".
On the other end of the spectrum, is something like the 37787 Velaro Sapsam which to me is great to watch zipping around a track, butwhen holding the loco, feels like a late 70's TYCO product
(Definitely not a knock on Mantua products which I am a fan).
Offline Webmaster  
#12 Posted : 12 January 2012 23:36:43(UTC)
Webmaster

Tyco is a good reference, since I think they are a symbol of how product quality is set aside due to production "efficiency"... Had a Tyco slotcar racing setup many many years ago, but later on the parts for it became of "lesser quality" if I may put it that way...
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 12 January 2012 23:41:50(UTC)
H0

They are transferring some (but not all) production from China to Europe, so USA M* fans may find those China stickers also on 2012 new items.

Märklin TV showed how the new Italian V 200 was printed in Germany, but finally assembled in Győr.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline rjftrains  
#14 Posted : 12 January 2012 23:53:30(UTC)
rjftrains

As I've noted in other posts in this forum, Markin has ceased most (perhaps not all) of its production in China.

For my customers who want to know where a specific item is manufactured, you can simply send me an e-mail. I'm happy to ask Marklin where a particular item is made and Mrklin is always forthcoming with this information.
Robert Frowenfeld
RJFtrains@aol.com
www.RJFtrains.com
914-232-5546
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#15 Posted : 12 January 2012 23:57:16(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
They are transferring some (but not all) production from China to Europe, so USA M* fans may find those China stickers also on 2012 new items.

Märklin TV showed how the new Italian V 200 was printed in Germany, but finally assembled in Győr.

And ironically enough, the printing is my complaint on that model :( admittedly a difficult scheme, but you can see layers underneath the striping in a few spots, and overall noticably sub-par for a $400+ loco.... Crying
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 13 January 2012 02:22:10(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
A few items, including the grain hopper used in the 46321/46342/46343 sets and the 282mm TEE/IC Avmz/Apmz/WRmz/ARDmz etc are made in China. I don't know whether they are still individually made and decorated in China or whether Maerklin had a number of blanks ordered and is having them painted and decorated in Hungary. Either way, they have to apply COO (Country of Origin) stickers for export to USA. EC rules require the final place of manufacture to be labelled, while US regulations require the location where the significant part of manufacture occurred to be labelled.

I wonder whether the Eurofima coaches (when they come) will be Made in China (like the Bpmz) or completely Made in Hungary.

Regards

Mike C
Offline jeehring  
#17 Posted : 13 January 2012 03:11:44(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

And ironically enough, the printing is my complaint on that model :( admittedly a difficult scheme, but you can see layers underneath the striping in a few spots, and overall noticably sub-par for a $400+ loco.... Crying

You should ask for a change of your model..I have seen closely those models, I didn't notice any "layers" ...However next time I 'll try again....Could you tell me on which spots ?
Offline marco gregory  
#18 Posted : 13 January 2012 04:36:47(UTC)
marco gregory

Canada   
I was reading on the Forum about crumbling C Track , was this from China ? Does anyone know the history of this story ? I am shocked Marklin would let this happen . Marco Gregory
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 13 January 2012 07:35:00(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: marco gregory Go to Quoted Post
I was reading on the Forum about crumbling C Track, was this from China?
The crumbling C track was made 2001 and earlier - those were all marked "Made in Germany". The plasticiser evaporated and the track beds became brittle. I don't think that China was involved.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline David1954  
#20 Posted : 30 August 2013 04:08:31(UTC)
David1954

United States   
Don't make fun of the Hungarians. They are very well educated. After all it was a Hungarian that gave us AC electricity and atom bomb.
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 30 August 2013 07:57:28(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: David1954 Go to Quoted Post
Don't make fun of the Hungarians.
Was anybody making fun of them in this thread?

Originally Posted by: David1954 Go to Quoted Post
They are very well educated.
How much education does it take to work in an assembly line? In Germany this kind of work is often done by non-native Germans - and those are normally better educated than the Germans that make the same job.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage