Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MarioFabro  
#1 Posted : 02 November 2011 17:44:07(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
As primarely a Swiss modeller, I had to complete my collection with also other brands (HAG, Roco and Rivarossi) as Marklin is lacking some models.

Which one of these would you like them to add to their production?

SBB Ae 8/14 "Landi-Lok", made by Roco

UserPostedImage

BLS Ae 4/4, currently made by Hag, Roco and Rivarossi

UserPostedImage

From the above, it should be relatively easy to make the Ae 8/8, available from Hag and Roco

UserPostedImage

SBB De 4/4. Roco makes several versions but, because of their drive to realism, they are very delicate (I broke mine taking it out of the box)

UserPostedImage

SBB Be 4/6. I have a Roco one, does not drive very well.. have to do some "tweaking"

UserPostedImage

SBB Ae 4/7. Made by Hag. It should be realtively easy to convert the Ae 8/14 already made by M.

UserPostedImage

SBB Zurich City Train Re 450. Marklin made the dopple-stock cars for it and sold it with a Ae 6/6 red locomotive, I bought the correct loco from Hag and the cab-control car from Fleishmann for a complete train

UserPostedImage

SBB BDe 4/4. I have an older Hag version.

UserPostedImage

Or a steamer.. SBB C5/6

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 02 November 2011 18:04:36(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: MarioFabro Go to Quoted Post

Which one of these would you like them to add to their production?

None. Instead of constantly copying other manufacturers' existing models that are for the most part perfectly acceptable even by today's standard, Marklin would better bring us something appealing that doesn't already exist as a mass produced model.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 02 November 2011 18:31:36(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
I'm with Stefan- especially since I have almost all of these other models BigGrin

However, a few requests:

B 3/4 Steamer:

Ae 4/4 just for the weird factor: http://www.eisenbahn-bil...8822bf735a313aeddfd6947e

I'd also like to see a BLS RE 420 in the NINA livery I has been done by others, but not an easy find these days in AC. (and would require little to no tooling on Marklin's part)

I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts. While I run swiss, I'm no expert on the prototype so there is probably some really cool stuff I haven't thought of.

Mario- I bought a Roco BE 4/6 in AC Digital last winter and it runs like a dream- what does your do wrong?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline MarioFabro  
#4 Posted : 02 November 2011 18:31:51(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
None. Instead of constantly copying other manufacturers' existing models that are for the most part perfectly acceptable even by today's standard, Marklin would better bring us something appealing that doesn't already exist as a mass produced model.

Sorry but I partially disagree..

First, there is not much left of Swiss stock to make as "original". Marklin is missing plenty of models, as above listed. Of course, ROCO especially, has a much more complete production palette as they are facilitated by their manufacturing process (plastic vs. metal).

So, in any event, if Marklin does something new is in any case a copy of something already on the market. Example.. the last new SBB model, the Re 6/6 - Re 620, has been already modeled by HAG, Roco and Lima.

I have no problem with Hag but I would rather see the Roco models made by Marklin (landi-lok, ICN, etc.) and I have a problem with the delicate features of the Roco locomotives (I have broken plenty of parts). So I don't think that they are perfectly acceptable.

Instead of a new paint scheme on a Re 460 I would jump on the possibility of getting a new Marklin model, even if alternatives are there. This is the main reason I am holding out on getting the landi-lok or the ICN: the hope to see them made by Marklin.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
Offline MarioFabro  
#5 Posted : 02 November 2011 18:36:06(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post

Mario- I bought a Roco BE 4/6 in AC Digital last winter and it runs like a dream- what does your do wrong?

John, mine was an older e-bay find that I digitalized. On one diretion it has some "jerking" motions while on the other it drives quite nicely. Thus I said I need to "fine tune it". Maybe I will change the decoder or check the whole mechanics. Meanwhile, I have so much else to do, including converting some nice italian Rivarossis and as well as a couple of ae 4/4 by them with a nice metal body.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 02 November 2011 19:08:56(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi Mario,

Sorry I'm not much help on the Be 4/6 then, mine is the newer chassis. Which Rivarossi Ae 4/4 do you have- the new BLS one? If so how do you like it- I'm thinking about picking one up but an torn between that and Roco. (although I think one is an Ae and the other an Re)

I agree on preferring Marklin to Roco, but these days I don't think I'm going to start selling off the Roco to replace them.
SBB Era 2-5
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 02 November 2011 19:32:34(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The SBB Be 4/6 would be nice!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline gachar001  
#8 Posted : 02 November 2011 20:17:24(UTC)
gachar001

India   
SBB Ae 8/14 "Landi-Lok" looks impressive.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 02 November 2011 21:59:06(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The variety of Swiss models being made is limited as many of the popular models already exist from one or more manufacturers. Other models are so limited in production possibilities that it is unlikely that any of the major manufacturers would develop such a model.

LS Models has released a large number of Swiss models, going from 1 (RAe TEE Gottardo) in the 2008/2009 to the many models announced in the 2010 and 2011 announcements. This includes diesels like the Bm 6/6, Bm 4/4 as well as electrics like the RBe 4/4 (RBe 540) and RABDe 12/12 (RABDe 510) Mirage. As far as coaches are concerned, there was the whole RIC coach series and the more modern Bpm models. Other companies like Rivarossi have introduced some new and some rereleased (older Lima/Rivarossi) models as well. Add to that the increased attention from Piko, largely due to the efforts of the Swiss importer (Arwico), who has also been the driving force behind new Swiss models from Liliput (Bachmann).

There will always be those who will not consider certain models because the have a plastic shell. I have found plastic models to be as nice as the metal models, what they lack in weight is compensated by the added detail that can be had with plastic moulding. Yes, some models contain fragile parts, but a handrail on a Roco BLS plastic lok is no more fragile than the handrail on a Maerklin metal SBB Ae 8/14. How many times have we seen Swiss loks from Maerklin delivered with bent handrails? I have personally had to repair almost 40% of mine (minor straightening) and 10% had to be returned. Taking a lok out of the package, especially in case of a long lok like an Ae 8/8 or Ae 8/14 requires more care than a BoBo Re 4/4II.

Roco has a nice model of the BLS Re 420. The most recent model with single pantograph is still readily available at a lot of dealers. I am very pleased with the BLS Ae 4/4 that I recently got on special. I love the Roco ICN and IC 2000.

Here is what I would like to see from Maerklin:

1) Re 460 without 2000 markings on front with LED lights and sound (if we're lucky with milled lenses for the headlights so that the light is actually concentrated into a beam).

2) Ae 4/7 based on the Ae 8/14. I would welcome such a model

3) Re 4/4III (11351-11370) in red or green

4) Re 420 in Cargo colours (normal railings and pantographs)

5) Ae 6/6 Cantonlok with "Falschfahrlicht" (double upper light)

6) BLS Ae 4/4 or Re 4/4 (An additional BLS lok in the collection would be nice, especially as Trix used to have an Ae 4/4 in the classic Trix Express selection)

7) An AC version of the Trix Re 482 and maybe a model of a Railpool Re 186 in SBB Cargo colours (not the Hobby ones).

As far as coaches, they have introduced a model of the WRm in TEE colours. I would like to see a model of the dining coach in red as this was common in many international trains throughout Switzerland. It is also possible that such a coach in orange will come out in a set with one or two SBB Eurofima coaches as this also seems like a likely new model in 28cm.

As far as the lightsteel coaches are concerned, Maerklin could still release a model of the AB (1st and 2nd class coach) as well as a version of the 43410 pilot coach in the original SBB + CFF livery. Another possibility would be to bring out a series of EWI models, as there is currently no manufacturer making a model of these coaches.

I would love to see Maerklin correct the windows of the 28cm WRm and the doors and windows of the 43400/01 baggage car.

Other than that, I am excitedly awaiting the RAe Gottardo, RBe 4/4 (540) and the remaining coaches that I ordered from LS Models and my plastic models look just as nice as the metal models on the track next to them.
Check out the available selection. You will be happy with what you find.

Regards

Mike C
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 02 November 2011 22:11:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I'm quite happy with my Roco SBB locos.

Breaking parts is one thing but having Marklin make some of the locos mentioned above, I wouldn't buy unless they have a C-Sine motor.

Marklin electric loco motors are still too noisy.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 02 November 2011 22:53:37(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Good point about the motors John. I would like to see Marklin bring out more Swiss stuff which would be cheaper than HAG and easier to buy. Roco I like but prefer the metal body. More coaches by Marklin would also be good.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline jeehring  
#12 Posted : 02 November 2011 22:58:13(UTC)
jeehring

The SBB AE 8/14 "Landi Lok" is a nice machine.
There is an old model from Roco, it is plastic and handling it gave me an overall impression a bit "toyish"....
A Marklin new tooling + traditionnal heavy metal technology should be greatly appreciated....(why not with the double SDS motorization of the former model of AE 8/14 Cool )
Offline jvuye  
#13 Posted : 02 November 2011 23:56:48(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
I'd love a Be 4/7 aka "Grande Sécheron" which was build in the mid 20's for >Express passenger service on the Gotthard line with the same Westinghouse/BBC transmission as the German E17, E18 etc.
This loco was 10 years ahead of its time.
I have the Fulgurex version...quite expensive, very nice but poor running characteristics
jvuye attached the following image(s):
Be4-7.jpg
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline MarioFabro  
#14 Posted : 03 November 2011 00:08:16(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mario,

Sorry I'm not much help on the Be 4/6 then, mine is the newer chassis. Which Rivarossi Ae 4/4 do you have- the new BLS one? If so how do you like it- I'm thinking about picking one up but an torn between that and Roco. (although I think one is an Ae and the other an Re)

I agree on preferring Marklin to Roco, but these days I don't think I'm going to start selling off the Roco to replace them.

You are right.. the Rivarossi is a Re 4/4. Here are some pictures of the Rivarossi 2101, which is actually a set of two (one BLS and one BN).
Metal body and nicely detailed

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Have not tested it yet as my trains are all in boxes right now.
Offline mike c  
#15 Posted : 03 November 2011 04:09:24(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Mario,

it looks nice. I would love to hear about it's pulling power and traction.

Jacques, if you want a better running model, the Metropolitan version may be a better choice.
http://www.messingers.ch..._4-7_12506_gr_SBB_01.JPG

While we are on the subject of those rare locomotives that I mentioned it would be unlikely for a major manufacturer to produce, here are a couple of long horses:

Type - photo link - Model made in brass (or other small production) by:
BT(SOB) BDe 12/12 http://www.messingers.ch...r_BDe_4-4_71_SF_BT_1.JPG (Ferro Suisse)

BLS ABDe 4/8 http://www.messingers.ch..._4-8_751_1970_BLS_02.JPG (Hrf)

SOB/BT/SBB De 4/4 http://www.siggmodell.ch...lder/SOB%20grün.jpg (Sigg Modell)

BLS/RM BDe 4/4 http://www.morep.ch/uart.../fahrzeuge/blsrbde44.htm (MTR aka Morep or Renfer)

and one last request for Rivarossi or Hag, please make a reasonably priced Pilot coach to complete your BLS Golden Pass coach series.

Check out the other models available from www.messingers.ch (click on Programm), www.siggmodell.ch, www.morep.ch (click on Unser Produktionen) and also http://www.rittech.ch/en/mod_H_en.htm

Regards,

Mike C
Offline Guus  
#16 Posted : 03 November 2011 16:24:48(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Mario,

Nice topic!

I really think it would be hard for Märklin to produce a competitive model of the ones you mentioned. The models you show are already very detailed and hard to improve I think.

The BLS Re 4/4 would be nice.

I would like to see them build the earlier version of the Crocodile, the Be 6/8II, which may be possible without too many alterations to the existing model.

Furthermore I would like to see them make the various types of Postal Service wagons
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#17 Posted : 03 November 2011 17:11:48(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks for the images Mario! like Mike I'd love to hear about the pulling power once you get them out
SBB Era 2-5