Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 27 April 2010 04:03:20(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hey all,

So I've been interested for some time in purchasing the 26549 Leig set.
I love the BR 38.10-40 and do not own one - I'd really like one with sound.

Unfortunately there are several documented issues with this model - very poor pulling power, really noisey drivetrain coupled with low speaker volume, very expensive etc...

Luckily though, these issues are well documented and with solutions provided to everything (except the price).
Is it worth risking buying this model and making the fixes?
Its really poor know that the model you buy will need urgent fixes, but if I want a BR 38.10 with sound what other option do I have?
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 27 April 2010 07:19:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I was a bit disappointed with the Br38 in my 26549. Even with the sound turned right up, I can hardly hear it, and I have documented the lack of pulling power in the Br38 thread. Having said that, it is possible to rectify the lack of traction. The sound issue I'm not too sure about, that may require a change of speaker or maybe even decoder. I would have thought Marklin would have got all this sorted before selling the set.

I still like the overall set, and if you are prepared to live with and rectify the issues, then it may be worth getting it. I also got the 2009 museum cars to go with the set.

mmrcnzjohn also liked the set, and he is not one to be easily impressed!

Edited by user 28 April 2010 00:38:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline PeterG  
#3 Posted : 27 April 2010 07:51:20(UTC)
PeterG

Seeing as 2006 was the 100 year anniversary of the P8/BR38 did Maerklin come up with a special commemorative loco then?
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 27 April 2010 22:28:42(UTC)
Webmaster

I must confess that I still have had no problem with my BR38 (DRG version), runs good and so on. Sound is fine with me, since I turn down the volume on some sound loks that I think are too "loud"... But it is not as loud as other sound loks can be.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline applor  
#5 Posted : 30 April 2010 13:27:29(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered it.

I had planned to purchase the BR64, 39640 but the shop did not actually have it in stock.

And just when I found this out, lokshop have 26549 on special for 340 euros or so.

I've also ordered the axle part with traction tires to fix that issue immediately.

I am excited and look forward to it, hoping it will be good after fixing the issues.

Though I did read someones 26549 only lasted 10 minutes before going up in smoke:S
Offline pa-pauls  
#6 Posted : 30 April 2010 21:21:15(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hi Eric,

Here you can have a look how I did with my Br.38 from 26549 : http://home.online.no/~pa-pauls/tipsandtricks.cfm
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 01 May 2010 01:11:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I guess that's what I should do to my Br38. I was going to try some Bullfrog Snot.
Offline applor  
#8 Posted : 21 May 2010 03:53:51(UTC)
applor

Australia   
So my 26549 set arrived last night! I was quite impressed with the level of detail on the model. Pipes and valves etc. looks quite delicate.

Running it around my flat layout with R1 curves/points and pulling the leig's it has no issue with traction. I did order the replacement axle with tyre regardless so no problems there, I can replace it whenever.

I found the drive train to be quiet, no louder than my E44 (37440) so I was happy about that.

I do agree the sound is soft though, at higher speeds its hard to hear the chuffs though the whistle is still easily audible.
I haven't changed the sound volume level though.

I imagine the decoder would be the same as any other Marklin model and so the soft sound would be more to do with the size of the speaker.
Has anyone attempted to replace the speaker with a bigger one for this model?

I am yet to pull it apart so I don't know how much room is in the tender - though I imagine not much.
I don't see why the decoder should have a problem with a larger speaker.

Now I'm tempted to get my hands on the 2009 museum leig set:D
Offline supermoee  
#9 Posted : 27 May 2010 17:03:00(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello applor,

the train runs well even with the Märklin Museum 2009 leigh cars. Mine has no modification and is pulling the train without any problem through my elicoidal or slopes. See here starting minute 1:20 :

http://www.myvideo.ch/watch/7465639

rgds

Stephan
Offline suga andri  
#10 Posted : 28 December 2011 07:02:26(UTC)
suga andri

hello all,

sorry i brought up this thread again.

i recently bought marklin 26549, and as said be4. poor traction power, low sound. at full speed, i cant hear the sound Only odrivetrain coupled all the way :).

i read the manual, it say the volume can adjustable. how to do that? i operate with mobile station.

thanks
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 28 December 2011 08:33:28(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: suga andri Go to Quoted Post
i read the manual, it say the volume can adjustable. how to do that? i operate with mobile station.
You can only reduce the volume as the loco comes with the maximum setting. Go to EDIT LOC and select VOL to change the volume.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline suga andri  
#12 Posted : 29 December 2011 02:45:52(UTC)
suga andri

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the answer. i've tried it, and sadly its true :).
i should try Pål Paulsen tips to upgrade the speaker & change traction axle.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 29 December 2011 05:11:45(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The part no you require for the replacement axle is 130228.
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 29 December 2011 06:16:31(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Also note if you do change the speaker and install an ESU speaker, make sure it is th right one for Loksound decoders V3.5. or loksound decoder V4 whereas the latter one would not be suited for marklin decoder boards.

If you really want to go town and change the sound get an ESU V4 sound decoder use the 21 pin adapterplate and a 28mm speaker.
You have to find out will the larger speaker fit underneath the 21 pin adapterplate by turning it around and attach the sound decoder on the top (doesn't need much room) or the other way around with the speaker on top of the 21 pin adapterplate as per photo supplied pa-Pauls.

The other things he suggested are than just cosmetic (soldering and unsoldering) but important changes, e.g. Auzx 1 & aux 2.
By using an ESU adapterplate you can access Aux 3 & 4 as well.

speaker, decoder and apterplate are available in 2 weeks time if you're interested.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#15 Posted : 29 December 2011 07:14:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Just wondering about what speaker to use in this loco, John. I think these locos have an ESU decoder, but I will check that with my Lokprogrammer, which I'm just starting to have a play with.

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 29 December 2011 08:28:38(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Lokprogrammer recognises the decoder in the 26549 Br38, so I would presume that an ESU 100 ohm speaker should be used.
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 29 December 2011 08:43:12(UTC)
H0

Things that can be tried to increase the volume:
  • Run loco without tender cover. Is it loud enough now? Maybe a few holes in the bottom of the tender will be enough ...
  • Try a bigger speaker
  • Try a different decoder (just in case the sound level of the decoder sound project is too low)

Some people wrote that holes in the bottom of the tender increased the sound volume of the BR 52 (but that one has a tub tender with a plastic bottom where drilling holes is easier ...).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Leitner  
#18 Posted : 30 December 2011 00:08:36(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   

That's one of my video, the first lok is the one of the 26549 set at full sound... Unluckily when it run at top speed its almost impossible to hear that. I'm sorry if i go off-topic but... Do you know if also the other BR38 of Marklin do suffer of that problem? I wanted to take the Litra T 299 but...
Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#19 Posted : 30 December 2011 00:48:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
  • Try a different decoder (just in case the sound level of the decoder sound project is too low)[/list]

• Lokprogrammer told me that the sound volume (at least on my 26549) was set to maximum.
    Offline H0  
    #20 Posted : 30 December 2011 01:07:00(UTC)
    H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
  • Try a different decoder (just in case the sound level of the decoder sound project is too low)[/list]

• Lokprogrammer told me that the sound volume (at least on my 26549) was set to maximum.
    AFAIK Lokprogrammer cannot read sound projects from decoders. The problem could be with the WAV files of the sound project.
    I don't think this is likely but it's possible.

A friend of mine complained about the low volume of his Fleischmann BR 39. He updated the sound decoder with the ESU BR 39 sound project and said that volume level was OK after the update.
    Regards
    Tom
    ---
    UserPostedImage
    Offline Bigdaddynz  
    #21 Posted : 30 December 2011 01:35:08(UTC)
    Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
    I don't think this is likely but it's possible.

If the original wav files were recorded at a too low volume, then that could explain the quiet sound. You can't amplify anything that doesn't exist.

Since the Lokprogrammer seems to interact with the decoder OK, do you think it is worth a try to upload the ESU soundfiles? (Yes Tom, I know you cannot make that decision for me, but I'd like to know your opinion).

From what you are saying, you cannot backup any of the sound files currently on the decoder, is that correct?

I'm guessing that if I do do this I should start off with the loksound 3.5 soundfiles.
    Offline river6109  
    #22 Posted : 30 December 2011 01:55:32(UTC)
    river6109

Australia   
    Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
    Dave, when you say backup, you can save an existing decoder (sound) as a project file and you have to see if there are any current sound slots available or you up load another sound file from ESU and than download it into the current decoder (sound).
    All depends what type or Vesion sound decoder it is you than also can add other soundslots to your soundfile.
    If you thinking of upgrading your sound decoder or changing your sound decoder why not try first to add a bigger speaker into the loco and see what's happen, if its still not exceptable than go and buy a new version sound decoder

John
    https://www.youtube.com/river6109
    https://www.youtube.com/6109river
    5 years in Destruction mode
    50 years in Repairing mode
    Offline NZMarklinist  
    #23 Posted : 30 December 2011 04:27:54(UTC)
    NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
    Hello All,
    I bought the 26549 myself a few years ago, before the Museum set came out so I also bought a set of the extra wagens only, from an ebay dealer, I'd previously dealt with, who was selling broken up sets, however at the time he would not ship the extra wagens in the box so ended up with two complete sets. One is unrun and will still be sold, just the Lok or as I've since got the '09 Museum set maybe a complete set. I too found the sound a bit quiet, but then that applies to a few older model Marklin steamers that they've re issued with sound like the BR96's and Wurtt C's. In the little running I've done with mine didn't notice the traction issue, and compared to my 37030 P38 wasn't noisy at all, but since I'm working on a "hilly" layout this renewed thread has got me wondering.Confused My BR38 which I've used quite a bit on the flat seems to be OK and I thought the lack of rear tyres was because the model was bit nose heavy anyway, also th back axle is only driven by the drive rods as far as i could see, from the model and the parts diagrams. So maybe I need two or three ? of those tyred axles ? One criticism I have of that model is, with a bit of handling a few of the clip on details have fallen off, and are a bit difficult to reattatch, everything being black Glare I assume the 26549 '38 is just as delicate, haven't even put a smoke unit in mine as yet, which because of a faulty one, caused the extra handling of the 37030, and bits falling off, and I consider myself very careful with my loks and use a Noch foam service station as pa pauls does
    The 37030 '38 was noisy too so when fitting the smoke unit I greased the drive gear in the chassis with some Trix grease used for the worm drive SDS Loks. That made it considerably quieter as the gears were as dry as !
    Sorry if this has gone a bit off topic and thanks all for your comments and pa pauls for his informative web page ThumpUp
    Dave, have you replaced the axle as yet ? I'll be consulting Dennis about speakers as he has the full range of ESU ones and has played around with them a fair bit Wink
    Also Dave, you can't save, or edit, a Marklin sound project with a Lokprogramer Huh
    Glen
    Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
    Offline Bigdaddynz  
    #24 Posted : 30 December 2011 05:34:35(UTC)
    Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
    Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
    Dave, have you replaced the axle as yet ?

I have the new axle, but haven't got around to fitting it yet. From Pål's instructions, it doesn't seem to be too hard.

Also Dave, you can't save, or edit, a Marklin sound project with a Lokprogramer Huh

Marklin lock their mfx sound decoders then? Swines! I've ordered a couple of the new mSD sound decoders, one Steam the other Diesel. Maybe I should try one in the Br38..........a Br38 with Diesel sound, how cool would that be?? LOL LOL
    Offline NZMarklinist  
    #25 Posted : 30 December 2011 05:58:09(UTC)
    NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
    Well Guys,
    Being a rainy old Summer day in Auckland, I decided I'd better revisit my 26549 BR38, and shock horror Scared
    when I first ran it, it only went a short distance and stopped, emitting a loud humming noise. I reversed it and it went ok, and fwd again, seemed OK, however the trailing axle of the front bogey was not turning either . Removed it from the tracks and had a good look at and deciced it needed a bit of a lube, it was built four years ago I guess, not unreasonable !Confused After just lubing all the axles and sitting it on my rolling prof stand it bound up again going fwd, but with a bit of a click, suddenly freed up and is running happily, but........Blushing Anything over half throttle and the gear noise is becoming quite apparent and by full throttle drowns out the operating sounds Mad , just like others have reported. I'm assuming the binding was something in the valve gear so I'll check that out !
    So the only thing do do was open her up and grease the motor drive gear, and while I'm in there, fit the smoke unit, or so I thought Mad . The motor drive gears and surrounds were caked with a white grease that has dried to a certain degree, I assume it's one of those clay based white grease's. So as it's beer a clock here, I'll clean it off whilst enjoying one and let you know how I get on Smile
    NZMarklinist attached the following image(s):
    DSC_0776.jpg
    Glen
    Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
    Offline NZMarklinist  
    #26 Posted : 30 December 2011 06:08:54(UTC)
    NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
    Dave, have you replaced the axle as yet ?

I have the new axle, but haven't got around to fitting it yet. From Pål's instructions, it doesn't seem to be too hard.

Marklin lock their mfx sound decoders then? Swines! I've ordered a couple of the new mSD sound decoders, one Steam the other Diesel. Maybe I should try one in the Br38..........a Br38 with Diesel sound, how cool would that be?? LOL LOL

Appart from having to unsolder the pick up shoe wire, not hard at all.
    Yes the M decoders are locked sound project wise, in fact on these latest ones in new production Loks, I find I can't alter the braking delay either Mad ( with CS1R) The new retrofit ones are fully programmable with CS2. Dennis tells me there are about 20 sound projects available so far, so you might get lucky and find a steam one Flapper LOL

PS; I hooked my 37030 on to a track cleaning car (for extra resistance), and five Wurttemburg four axle coaches and it handles them OK. Intending to make way for the 26549 '38 I backed it around and it hooked on to my Green Wurt C quite by accident. The C's have the same sort of (Faulhaber ?) in boiler motor, but a different gear set up and will turn their wheels if pushed, so I thought lets see what the BR38 can do shunting the Wurt C around.(Tender to tender) Suprisingly well ThumpUp some wheel slip as it started to move fwd, but none in reverse, cause of weight transfer to front driving axle Wink
    I can see with a heavy train pulling up a hill, the tyred rear axle will be a great help tho ThumpUp Smile
    Glen
    Auckland NZ

Offline suga andri  
    #27 Posted : 30 December 2011 18:08:11(UTC)
    suga andri

i can deal with the sound.....working flawless in the midnight :)
    i can't do the speaker swap or drill the tender either.

but the acceleration & pulling power............:(
    additional traction axle is a must, hope can find it at my city.

i compare with my BR81 from starter set 29539.

at 1st bar power, half is enough to make it run. 1-2 second respond time.
    but for 26549, stand still. need 2 full bar to move, response time 3-5 second. is it normal?
    Offline H0  
    #28 Posted : 30 December 2011 20:08:01(UTC)
    H0

but for 26549, stand still. need 2 full bar to move, response time 3-5 second. is it normal?
    Which Mobile Station? "Bar" sounds like Mobile Station 2.
    Acceleration and Braking Delay (aka ABV) can be adjusted with your 26549. Try smaller values for ACC (& DEC).
    The 26549 should start moving with 2 blocks on the first bar of an MS2 - that might take some time with large values for ACC.
    Regards
    Tom
    ---
    UserPostedImage
    Offline Bigdaddynz  
    #29 Posted : 30 December 2011 22:05:40(UTC)
    Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
    Dennis tells me there are about 20 sound projects available so far, so you might get lucky and find a steam one.

There's 7 sound projects for steam locos so far, but none for the Br38.

http://www.maerklin.de/de/produ...ads/decoder-updates.html
    Offline suga andri  
    #30 Posted : 31 December 2011 17:05:25(UTC)
    suga andri

Which Mobile Station? "Bar" sounds like Mobile Station 2.
    Acceleration and Braking Delay (aka ABV) can be adjusted with your 26549. Try smaller values for ACC (& DEC).
    The 26549 should start moving with 2 blocks on the first bar of an MS2 - that might take some time with large values for ACC.

Thanks Tom,
    that's work :). default acc set to 25, i lowered it to 15.much better now. is it ok to lowered the acc & dec value (to the motor). my other loc default value is 10 for both. that's why so different acc.

iam using mobile station 60653, MB2.

also 1 more question, is it ok if i loosen or remove the spring attcahed to the front boogie? what that use for ? auto brake?
    Offline NZMarklinist  
    #31 Posted : 31 December 2011 17:58:30(UTC)
    NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
    Dennis tells me there are about 20 sound projects available so far, so you might get lucky and find a steam one.

There's 7 sound projects for steam locos so far, but none for the Br38.

http://www.maerklin.de/de/produ...ads/decoder-updates.html

Yes you are absolutely correct, did you notice that you can play them Dave ? All? Smile Wink

PS I think a complete clean up of all that old grease is on the adgenda, so my findings/report may be a few days away ! Mad Blushing Blink
    Glen
    Auckland NZ

Offline applor  
    #32 Posted : 04 January 2012 02:29:33(UTC)
    applor

Australia   
    I ran mine again a few weeks ago for some fun.
    I don't have any problems having it move at slow speed settings or anything.
    Sound is a bit soft but the real issue is the drivetrain noise.

If I speed it up to a mid to high pulling speed the drivetrain whine just drowns out the sound.
    I opened it up to see/fix if the shaft was sitting 1mm low as identified in the other thread - surprisingly it sits tight and flush so thats not the problem.

I will be interested to hear from you NZMarklinist as to how noisey it is once you clean off the white grease and use something else for lubrication.
    Offline NZMarklinist  
    #33 Posted : 11 April 2012 13:14:18(UTC)
    NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
    Well Guys,
    Being a rainy old Summer day in Auckland, I decided I'd better revisit my 26549 BR38, and shock horror Scared
    when I first ran it, it only went a short distance and stopped, emitting a loud humming noise. I reversed it and it went ok, and fwd again, seemed OK, however the trailing axle of the front bogey was not turning either . Removed it from the tracks and had a good look at and deciced it needed a bit of a lube, it was built four years ago I guess, not unreasonable !Confused After just lubing all the axles and sitting it on my rolling prof stand it bound up again going fwd, but with a bit of a click, suddenly freed up and is running happily, but........Blushing Anything over half throttle and the gear noise is becoming quite apparent and by full throttle drowns out the operating sounds Mad , just like others have reported. I'm assuming the binding was something in the valve gear so I'll check that out !
    So the only thing do do was open her up and grease the motor drive gear, and while I'm in there, fit the smoke unit, or so I thought Mad . The motor drive gears and surrounds were caked with a white grease that has dried to a certain degree, I assume it's one of those clay based white grease's. So as it's beer a clock here, I'll clean it off whilst enjoying one and let you know how I get on Smile

Hi all,
    Having had this Lok on my "work bench" since New Year, over Easter I decided it's time for resolution. I couldn't see a complete strip down to clean all that white grease as totally necessary at this stage, not if only to prove a point about the noise anyway.
    So a bit more of a clean up of the visible white grease and a generous application of Trix 66626 grease and put her back together and the result is pleasing. Whilst not a total "shut up" of the noise it is considerably less, and in line with the noise of my older 37030 P38 I ventured to do the same to, a few years back. BigGrin ThumpUp
    However, whilst there was no binding this time, whilst running on track, I do suspect the left front wheel is slightly out of quarter as there was a slight resistance when turning the wheels by means of a screw driver on the drive cog, during the clean up, so will get "Dennis" to check it out Sneaky
    Glen
    Auckland NZ