Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline HvR  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2005 22:57:52(UTC)
HvR

Hi All,

After 33 years of HO (which I still practice and love), I received today my first Z train. It is the starter package 81781. It constists of a S3/6 bavarian steamer + 2 passenger cars and 1 bagage car. Beautifully detailed. It comes together with a model of the german "fairy tail" castle Neuschwanstein (which was used by Disney as a model for the disneyland castles). Lovely package all together. I bought this package as an experiment. I want to build a winter scene of it, together with my 3 kids. As a kind of family-christmas-holiday project. Lots of mountains and trees and even more snow. That is what it is supposed to look (half a year from now.......?)

I quickly laid down the track an ran the train. Marvelous, better than I expected from a small model in Z. As said, I am only used to HO.

Well, now my question to you. Since I am a totally new in Z, any tips or do's and don'ts from you Z-experts? Your answers are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Hans

By the way: for anyone else interested in this package. It is listed 259 euro's by Marklin, but sold for 158 euro's by www.conrad.de in germany! Quite a discount.
Offline HueyCE  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2005 03:53:53(UTC)
HueyCE

My wife just bought this package as well. It will be interesting to compare notes once she starts setting it up.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline ztrack  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2005 15:39:09(UTC)
ztrack

Congratulations on a great set! I love the colors of the S3/6 Bavarian locomotive. Marklin did a great job with the locomotive. As for tips, first, keep your track clean. Z scale locos can easily be affected by dirty track. I use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and a soft cloth to clean the track. I also recommend Gaugemaster electronic track cleaners for anyone running Z scale. These little devices work great and take away the need to clean your track so often while keeping your locos running smoothly.

Do not over oil the locomotive. Too much oil is the primary reason locomotives fail. If you do any scenting, make sure to vacuum along the track before running trains. Most Marklin locos have open gearing on bottom and these gears love to pull up scenic materials and ballast.

Avoid steep grades. Z locos don't like grades over 2%. Also, if you use the Marklin track nails, be careful not too push the nails in too far. This will cause the ties to bow and the track to come out of alignment.

Last tip.. Have Fun!!

Rob Kluz
Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
The Magazine For Z Scale Model Railroading.
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com
Offline HvR  
#4 Posted : 29 December 2005 22:12:09(UTC)
HvR

Thanks Ira and Rob for your replies.

Rob, as far as I can see, my loc has a closed cover on the bottom. I can see that any open cover can easily pick up dirt since it is so close to the track. The track looks metal color to me, so i presume it is nickle-silver. So I guess that your tip to use rubbing alcohol should be enough to keep it clean, no corrosion to be expected like on my HO-metal track (M-type). On my HO layout I typically use smoke-fluid-alcohol.

For laying down the track: I planned to lay down a 3mm (1/8") roadbed and put 2-sided adhesive tape on top to keep the track in place. Final fixation will be done by the ballast. Does this sound like an acceptable way to lay down track to you?

Regarding your last tip to have fun: Thanks, that is just what I am planning to!!

I am perhaps the only guy in the world that does not have a digital camera yet, but will try to put some photo's on this site sooner or later.

Regards,

Hans
Offline ztrack  
#5 Posted : 30 December 2005 04:33:41(UTC)
ztrack

Hans,

You are correct. Z track is nickel silver and will not corrode. Just watch for a build up of dirt or grime. The use of double side tape to hold the track down works very well. I know of a number of Z scalers using the tape. Also, it saves the track in case you want to rearrange it later.

Best,
Rob
Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
The Magazine For Z Scale Model Railroading.
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com
Offline Heine Pedersen  
#6 Posted : 30 December 2005 20:27:48(UTC)
Heine Pedersen

Jon Digranes has some inspiering photos of the Neuschwanstein here: http://home.online.no/~j...ne/z-scale/photos-01.htm

UserPostedImage
Offline jte  
#7 Posted : 30 December 2005 20:51:46(UTC)
jte

Hi all,

This set is also on my shopping list. I have visited the Neuschwanstein castle many times.

UserPostedImage

This is a picture from my last visit in 2000. This place (and the Alps) is really worth visiting, inspite of the 30min climbing up to the castle.

The model seems to be really worth the price also.

Juha Telimaa
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jte
Offline hagstrom88  
#8 Posted : 31 December 2005 02:16:50(UTC)
hagstrom88

Ira and Hans
Same story - started with Z last year after a number of years of H0 analog...

Love Z-scale. Here are some stuff you might have a use for

Good expert links where you can pick up some good advice:

http://www.zscale.org/ - how to clean tracks etc
http://www.heinepedersen.com/miniclub/ - the norwegian guru

Generally - that I found out after a couple of mishaps:

1) Use 2 sided self adhesive tape to fixate track on board. Glue is too brutal.
2) Dont try ballasting between the track if you have bad eyesight and shaky hands as I have or dont have 200 hours free. I ballasted outside the tracks and painted dark grey btw tracks - works fine for me.
4) Skip Marklin lights for decoration around the layout - they are elegant but too fragile - at least for me with normal sized hands - my wreck ratio for them is about 20% and you cant repair them unless you have a brain surgery microscope I guess.
3) You can buy most stuff on Ebay - really cheap - esp buildings - will save you days of work and tons of money
4) Depending how much you love to do landscaping and can afford - buy a layout with Z-track plan - my 2:nd attempt I did with a Noch/Woodland Scenics landscape which looks great after decorating it. I got a nice one for about $300 that has 2 separate tracks with many tunnels, crossings at different levels etc - making everyone believe it is a single track system with advanced blocksignals etc.

Hope this helps!

Thomas, Stockholm

Thomas Hagström
Stockholm, Sweden
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hagstrom88
Offline HueyCE  
#9 Posted : 31 December 2005 03:51:04(UTC)
HueyCE

Cool links and advice. I'll pass them along to my wife.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline HvR  
#10 Posted : 31 December 2005 17:03:09(UTC)
HvR

Thanks to all of you for your responses and tips. Wonderful websites and great pictures.

By now the substructure and the roadbed are finished. Track is laid and I am busy finishing the very simple electrical work (the winter module will only contain the content of the starter package = track connection and 2 switches). I've made a small switchboard instead of using the pushbutton-box out of the starter kit. By now my kids are pushing me hard to get this done, because they want to start building mountains etc..... From my various businesstrips to the States I still have a lot of Woodland material left over from my HO layout, so fun can start.

But for now I wish you all a nice Sylvester evening and a happy new year.

Hans
Offline steventrain  
#11 Posted : 08 January 2006 12:57:52(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Heine Pedersen
<br />Jon Digranes has some inspiering photos of the Neuschwanstein here: http://home.online.no/~j...ne/z-scale/photos-01.htm

Excellent site,very good pictures.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Tamrac  
#12 Posted : 09 January 2006 02:39:02(UTC)
Tamrac

I picked this kit up last fall for a Christmas layout also. I am about 80% done with the model. I'm spendign a bit of time detialing and weathering. I've decided to make not make this a winter scean after all. The picture posted above is a good insperation[:p]
I bought a smaller Noch type form on eBay and I'm busy winterizing that right now. Missed the Christmas deadline though[xx(]
Offline HvR  
#13 Posted : 12 January 2006 21:20:24(UTC)
HvR

Hi All,

Far from being finished with my little winter layout, I like to share a thought/question with you.
Does anyone know the outside dimensions of the real Neuschwanstein castle? I just like to check the scale of the model from the z-package. I've got a undefined feeling that the model is smaller than 1:220. I tried to find some actual dimensions on the internet, but failed.

Don't get me wrong, I think the model of the castle is lovely and I like it very much. Right now I am busy painting it. Amazing how many windows in these walls that have to be prevented from being clogged up with paint..... But with white walls the model is even more impressive.

But about the scale I just wondered.

Regards,

Hans
Offline HvR  
#14 Posted : 01 February 2006 23:05:58(UTC)
HvR

Latest news: Just found out the scale. Marklin model is about 1:360 instead of 1:220.

Still looks great upon my modelled hills though.

I just wonder what I should do when I want to place preiserleins next to the castle. Does anyone have suggestions?

Regards,

Hans