Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline monster134  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2008 04:00:15(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Im a complete NOOB at these things,and i mean complete noob.

Right,so you get a file from the Marklin site.You save this to desktop(in my case)Its a funny file...you cant open it..bcs or something.

How do you get the bloody thing to the CS.And im a man...i dont read the instructions hehehehe.

Both Koert and myself got the updated version 2.0.3 Central stations.

Nobody in Africa seems to know how these things work.Please let me be the first.Smile

And if you do take the plunge to help me out,please do it like you are talking to a 3 year old......yes,i am that stupid.

Thanx in advance
If at any stage in the defusing of a bomb,you should see a bomb technician running,try your utmost best to keep up with him-Army magazine of preventative action.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2008 04:13:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Monster, you need connect your PC to the CS using an ethernet crossover cable. Open Internet Explorer on your pc, and type http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the tcpip address assigned to your CS.

From there, follow the links to update the CS.

If your CS does not have a tcpip address, you need to allocate one to it, that is on a similar subnet to your PC.

The update procedure is documented in the updated CS manual - towards the end of the document.

If neither your PC or CS has a tcpip address, I suggest you use 10.1.1.100 for your PC and 10.1.1.110 for your CS. The subnet mask should be, in this instance, 255.0.0.0
Offline diesel  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2008 04:43:51(UTC)
diesel

Australia   
Bigdaddy,
I presume also that during upgrading and reconfigurations the CS should be disconnected from other devices and the layout. ie unplug all other connections, sniffer, and track outputs and boosters - or is this an overkill ??

Diesel
Ecos 50200, Software 4.1.2 Marklin HO K track, EcosBoost, Traincontroller Gold V9.0,B2, All track power via EcosBoost Separate programing siding. Decoders- Lokpilot V2,Lokpilotv3, Lok V4, LoksoundV4, Loksound V5, Marklin MFX and Marklin Fx. Internet Exlporer 11.0, Win 7
Offline nevw  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2008 05:19:40(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
DO not think So. I just had no trains running.

Set the IP Address to suit my network then as Big Daddy said. Into Internet Explorer etc.
Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline diesel  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2008 05:33:53(UTC)
diesel

Australia   
Nev,
Once you upgrade is it possible to downgrade by reinstalling a previous version.
Diesel
Ecos 50200, Software 4.1.2 Marklin HO K track, EcosBoost, Traincontroller Gold V9.0,B2, All track power via EcosBoost Separate programing siding. Decoders- Lokpilot V2,Lokpilotv3, Lok V4, LoksoundV4, Loksound V5, Marklin MFX and Marklin Fx. Internet Exlporer 11.0, Win 7
Offline nevw  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2008 07:34:19(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
That I am Not SUre of.
Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 01 April 2008 08:08:44(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Diesel, no you don't need to disconnect the CS from your layout, but it pays to do a backup of your CS config first. This can be done from the CS web page I talk about, prior to performing the upgrade.

I think everyone, apart from me, has had their configs preserved after doing the backup, but mine somehow lost the list of locos, although solenoid settings were preserved. Unfortunately, the backup I took prior to performing the upgrade did not contain the loco list either, but I seem to be the only one who had that particular problem.

I think you can downgrade to an older version by reinstalling a previous version.
Offline frankie  
#8 Posted : 01 April 2008 11:44:41(UTC)
frankie

Hey, Riekus said ...like a 3 years old.

First thing do you have router, with a free ethernet/network port, to connect your PC to the Internet?
If yes this appliance may automatically assign an IP address to your PC and your CS, just make sure the cable is plugged BEFORE you power up the CS.
In this case you need a straight cable to connect both the PC and the CS to the router, read the assigned address from the CS point your browser at http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, where the Xs are the IP read before and the home page of your CS will open.
From the menu on the left you can choose to save your config, restore a previously saved one, upgrade your CS.
If you don't have a the network box I was mentioning above, you have to get hold of a CROSS-OVER ethernet cable and make sure that your PC has an Ethernet/Network port.
You need to manually configure the IP addresses on both the PC and the CS,biggrin for this I am sorry but you have to read the manualbiggrin, and then proceed as I said pointing the browser to the IP address of the CS.
Alessandro
I have a CS1 Reloaded!
Offline intruder  
#9 Posted : 01 April 2008 13:48:47(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
This is how I did it, from another topic:

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:originally posted by intruder

For once I visited my regular MMR supplier today.

He told me that a lot of customers have problems with the upgrade to verion 2.0.4. If this is the case also in this forum, I will give a short explanation. If you have a router for network on your wall.

This is how I did, with my PC, Windows XP, Windows Explorer 7,0:

1. Download the update file from Märklin http://www.maerklin.de/systems/index2.html.
Save it somewhere on your PC.

2. When the CS was connected to the router via a network cable, it was automatically given an IP address by the router. Connect the network cable before turning the power on.

3. The IP address can be found if you press the setup icon and select the network icon under Setup 1 (icon four from the top). Be sure to check the box in front of "Obtain IP address from DHCP server".

4. Open your internet browser and enter the IP address http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (replace the xxx with your IP address figures).

5. Simply follow the instructions given to you on your PC screen.
Here you can also save your settings, including your locomotive list.

See also https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=9680
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Caplin  
#10 Posted : 01 April 2008 15:37:34(UTC)
Caplin

You may also look at: https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=9327

for Update, Backup and Restore wink

Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline monster134  
#11 Posted : 01 April 2008 19:32:49(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Ah..you are a nice bunch.Thanx so much.Successfully updated.Twas rather easy.

Very nice little added goodies.Just one last question....on the little amp meter,the first value i presume is the power you are using currently,and the second value is the power the booster in the CS is supplying????

In that case...its a strong bastard.Running 4 locos....3 5-poles and a c-sine...6 coaches with lights,the max i got it to was 1.95A.Out of 2.8Amp.Hmmmm...i need to run feeder wires.
If at any stage in the defusing of a bomb,you should see a bomb technician running,try your utmost best to keep up with him-Army magazine of preventative action.
Offline frankie  
#12 Posted : 01 April 2008 20:10:59(UTC)
frankie

Yep, that was the power meter I was talking about when you were asking for boosters.Smile
Alessandro
I have a CS1 Reloaded!
Offline nevw  
#13 Posted : 02 April 2008 02:44:38(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by monster134
<br />Ah..you are a nice bunch.Thanx so much.Successfully updated.Twas rather easy.
In that case...its a strong bastard.Running 4 locos....3 5-poles and a c-sine...6 coaches with lights,the max i got it to was 1.95A.Out of 2.8Amp.Hmmmm...i need to run feeder wires.

Of course Monster we are all a Nice bunch, biggrin
Pleased that you got the update done.
Nev

PS: If every thing runs well as it is all around the track you do not need feeder wires. (I think) wink

Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 02 April 2008 12:06:07(UTC)
H0

Quote:
<br />Very nice little added goodies.Just one last question....on the little amp meter,the first value i presume is the power you are using currently,and the second value is the power the booster in the CS is supplying????

I think its average and peak usage.
If you stop all trains, peak usage should slowly drop until it meets the average value.
It's a bit like the peak indicator of some stereos: goes up immediately and drops slowly.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Piper  
#15 Posted : 02 April 2008 13:25:08(UTC)
Piper

South Africa   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:

Nobody in Africa seems to know how these things work.Please let me be the first.Smile

And if you do take the plunge to help me out,please do it like you are talking to a 3 year old......yes,i am that stupid.

[B)] At least 1 in SA has done it. Ask Mike D for my number I talk better than wright [xx(]

Pieter
Era I-V / HO / C-Track / MS2, CS2 & CS3 Z gauge. Insider
Member of Märklin Modellers Group
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 02 April 2008 23:50:37(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
As luck would have it, the update process is also described in the latest Marklin Digital Newsletter (02-08) from Dr. Tom Catherall.
Offline monster134  
#17 Posted : 03 April 2008 01:14:05(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by nevw
<br />
Quote:
<br />Ah..you are a nice bunch.Thanx so much.Successfully updated.Twas rather easy.

Of course Monster we are all a Nice bunch, biggrin
Pleased that you got the update done.
Nev

PS: If every thing runs well as it is all around the track you do not need feeder wires. (I think) wink

Apparently there is an unwritten rule,that if you take a screwdriver and short your track anywhere on the layout,the CS should immediately cut power.If it doesnt,you do not have enough power there.

The first 11 squares all have feeder wires and it will immediately cut when there is a short.On the new board it doesnt.Had a class 44 got its front bogie stuck in a turnout due to the front coupler being too low,and by the time i saw it,probably about 2 minutes,the front wheel on ths bogie was red hot.[:0][:0][:0]I kid you not.It obviously got lifted by the coupler and landed between the rail and puko.

It was physically red hot.Melted the track as well[:0][:0]I did a little test today.Checked the voltage on the track everywhere,and there was only about a 1.5v drop at the furthest end of the new board.Just for fun i cut some computer wire(very thin single strand)and bend this around 2 pukos each side of every 4th rail joint on the new board.I did this for about 4 metres of track and immediately the excact same point where the CS wouldnt cut the power......it now does.

Feeder wires for the winbiggrinbiggrinNow the trains are very smooth.They also run better over the whole track now.Weird.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 03 April 2008 01:29:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Marklin recommend feeder wires every 2 - 3 metres of track. Some people I know put feeder wires on every piece of track!
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 03 April 2008 01:48:24(UTC)
H0

Quote:
<br />Checked the voltage on the track everywhere,and there was only about a 1.5v drop at the furthest end of the new board.

The voltage drop is proportional to the current. Ideally you should check the track voltage with a "test car" that consumes about 20 VA so you really know how big the voltage drop is.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage