Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sudibarba  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2008 03:47:27(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I got my 1st ROCO, a 69125 Northlander. It came in a very nice box, better than any Marklin presentation. The paint job on the 4 unit train is very nice and includes the logos not shown in the catalog.The booklet said that it could only run on R3 track but I looked it up and ROCO R3 is about the same as Marklin R2,so no problem on my outer loop. It will not run on Marklin R1. It is stated that it is true to 1 in 87 scale. The headlights are white (maybe a little yellow but the paint sceem is yellow so hard to tell)- the back are red. No interior lighting. ESU sound decoder that has a long delay on startup as Nev mentioned in another post.
Out of the box: A jumper has to be moved to digital - I didn't at first and it ran anyway with my 6021. I moved the jumper as indicated. Sound was was set - CV63 to the max 64. Too loud, reset to about 35 - may adjust later. The real surprise was the speed. It would only go to about 65 MPH according to my Marklin measurer. Far below prototypical speed. Yes, I did do the 30 minuite break in, unloaded, both directions as indicated. The prototype ran at 70 + and had the capability of 90+. I reset the speed CV5 to max 64. It ran at 83 MPH but the longer I ran it it seemed to loosen up and now runs at about 88 MPH. The speed is not a big deal, but I am use to slowing down Marklin locos not trying to increase the speed. At any rate , the longer it runs the smoother it seems to get. As my wife is Canadian, and she always asks why I don't have a Canadian train, I got a free pass on this one. I like it very much - no problem with derailing through M track turnouts and runs nicely on my combo M & C track.
By the way, I noticed the ROCO catalog did not mention it needed the wider radius.

Eric
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2008 10:07:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by sudibarba
<br />I got my 1st ROCO, a 69125 Northlander. It came in a very nice box, better than any Marklin presentation. The paint job on the 4 unit train is very nice and includes the logos not shown in the catalog.The booklet said that it could only run on R3 track but I looked it up and ROCO R3 is about the same as Marklin R2,so no problem on my outer loop. It will not run on Marklin R1. It is stated that it is true to 1 in 87 scale. The headlights are white (maybe a little yellow but the paint sceem is yellow so hard to tell)- the back are red. No interior lighting. ESU sound decoder that has a long delay on startup as Nev mentioned in another post.
Out of the box: A jumper has to be moved to digital - I didn't at first and it ran anyway with my 6021. I moved the jumper as indicated. Sound was was set - CV63 to the max 64. Too loud, reset to about 35 - may adjust later. The real surprise was the speed. It would only go to about 65 MPH according to my Marklin measurer. Far below prototypical speed. Yes, I did do the 30 minuite break in, unloaded, both directions as indicated. The prototype ran at 70 + and had the capability of 90+. I reset the speed CV5 to max 64. It ran at 83 MPH but the longer I ran it it seemed to loosen up and now runs at about 88 MPH. The speed is not a big deal, but I am use to slowing down Marklin locos not trying to increase the speed. At any rate , the longer it runs the smoother it seems to get. As my wife is Canadian, and she always asks why I don't have a Canadian train, I got a free pass on this one. I like it very much - no problem with derailing through M track turnouts and runs nicely on my combo M & C track.
By the way, I noticed the ROCO catalog did not mention it needed the wider radius.

Eric

There was a motor/gearing update for the TEE version of the Roco train. I don't know if the more recent Northlander models also had the same problem or whether they were delivered with the gearing for faster speeds.

AFAIK, the AC digital models should be able to run on digital or analog out of the box. I do not have a single Roco model that requires a jumper changeover or any other modification to go from digital to analog and back. The built-in ESU decoder reads both formats.

I don't know where you are based, but I would contact your local Roco dealer or distributor for more information about this model.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2008 10:08:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I can now see that you are from the states.
Contact www.roco.com (Reynaulds). They are the US distributor.

Regards

MC
Offline ulf999  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2008 21:32:21(UTC)
ulf999

Congrats Eric, Do you have any pics to post [:p]?
Ulf, American HO. www.goldenvalleyroute.com/
Offline plavnostruev  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2008 23:24:27(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by ulf999
Do you have any pics to post [:p]?

It looks something like this:

UserPostedImage

I am partial to this, of course, but it is trains like Northlander that give parade tracks reason for being.

Mike
Offline sudibarba  
#6 Posted : 14 March 2008 23:27:55(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Thanks for your comments Mike. I mentioned that the train ran before I moved the jumper and moving it had no effect. After reviewing the documentation, the jumper slots marked "D" and the one marked "A" are for analogue or digital control of internal lighting if installed. There are two other jumpers marked "W" which are in or pulled out depending on the method you want the power to be picked up from the from front or rear shoe.
I found your comment on the Tee gear/motor issue interesting so I forwarded it and questions to my dealer. He has forwarded my questions to his supplier so we will see what the response is. I think something is amiss as I don't see why they would set the CV to less than max - where they had it set is below prototypical speed.
I don't think a manufacturer would present a train to the public only being able to run at the speed mine came set at. Having said that, it is a very nice train and I will probably run it at less than its current max anyway. I just feel something is not right - maby a wrong gear.
Eric

Offline sudibarba  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2008 23:32:36(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by ulf999
<br />Congrats Eric, Do you have any pics to post [:p]?

Well, Mike beat me to it. I have not learned to post pics yet but will try to find some time this weekend and get up to speed.
Eric
Offline mbarreto  
#8 Posted : 14 March 2008 23:50:20(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Seems to be a very nice train! Congratulations.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline sudibarba  
#9 Posted : 15 March 2008 03:24:17(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Well, maybe I owe an apology to ROCO. After running the train today for another hour or so it has picked up speed. It is still set to max(64) CV not the lower factory value. The train now registers over 90 mph vs. the previous 83 mph. I back it down to a comfortable 75 mph and all is good. I am surprised at the long break in period but all the gears are nylon ( I think) and I am not use to that being a Marklin guy. I still am interested in what I hear back from the distributor as the train is still only at the proto type max speed which Marklin always seem to exceed.
Now, a good thing I forgot to mention. The baffles between the cars ( not the right term but I'm at at brain loss right now)are just about perfect. No issues in curves. I am very happy to have this unit.
Eric
Offline mmervine  
#10 Posted : 15 March 2008 03:54:05(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Eric:

I have an older Marklin Tee-RAM that has been upgraded to digital sound that is one of my favorite trains. This looks like a nice set that will give you plenty of enjoyment!

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 15 March 2008 04:46:39(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
<br />Thanks for your comments Mike. I mentioned that the train ran before I moved the jumper and moving it had no effect. After reviewing the documentation, the jumper slots marked "D" and the one marked "A" are for analogue or digital control of internal lighting if installed. There are two other jumpers marked "W" which are in or pulled out depending on the method you want the power to be picked up from the from front or rear shoe.
I found your comment on the Tee gear/motor issue interesting so I forwarded it and questions to my dealer. He has forwarded my
questions to his supplier so we will see what the response is.

I was sure that the jumpers had nothing to do with digital/analog. They relate to current pickup and power selection.
I looked it up on another forum. The parts that were made available to owners of the 63120/21/69121 were listed under part number 123317. The set includes two gears and parts needed to increase the top speed to the prototypical 140kph. In Europe, the parts were supplied to the dealers upon demand.

I do not know if this problem was corrected before the Northlander shipped as there were a few months between the release of the original TEE versions and the newer Northlander Sets. It is possible that they were already repaired prior to delivery.

An other note of interest to Northlander owners. Due to the risk of collision with wild animals (mooses or is that meese?) and logging trucks, the Northlander was always operated motor unit forward, except for short segments used to reverse the train direction at Toronto, Moosonee and Cochrane as necessary.

Regards

Mike C
Offline ulf999  
#12 Posted : 15 March 2008 20:23:29(UTC)
ulf999

Thanks, it sure looks smooth!
Ulf, American HO. www.goldenvalleyroute.com/
Offline intruder  
#13 Posted : 17 March 2008 23:58:33(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
It looks ver nicce.

Congratulations, Eric!
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline sudibarba  
#14 Posted : 18 March 2008 01:01:49(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I really want to thank you Mike. My dealer got back to me . His distributer told him that it should have the faster gears in it, but to check. If the gears are red they are the slower ones. If they are yellow they are the faster ones. Mine are red - so I wasn't crazy after all. Once again, belonging to the forum pays off.
Thanks,
Eric

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mike c
<br />
Quote:
<br />Thanks for your comments Mike. I mentioned that the train ran before I moved the jumper and moving it had no effect. After reviewing the documentation, the jumper slots marked "D" and the one marked "A" are for analogue or digital control of internal lighting if installed. There are two other jumpers marked "W" which are in or pulled out depending on the method you want the power to be picked up from the from front or rear shoe.
I found your comment on the Tee gear/motor issue interesting so I forwarded it and questions to my dealer. He has forwarded my
questions to his supplier so we will see what the response is.

I was sure that the jumpers had nothing to do with digital/analog. They relate to current pickup and power selection.
I looked it up on another forum. The parts that were made available to owners of the 63120/21/69121 were listed under part number 123317. The set includes two gears and parts needed to increase the top speed to the prototypical 140kph. In Europe, the parts were supplied to the dealers upon demand.

I do not know if this problem was corrected before the Northlander shipped as there were a few months between the release of the original TEE versions and the newer Northlander Sets. It is possible that they were already repaired prior to delivery.

An other note of interest to Northlander owners. Due to the risk of collision with wild animals (mooses or is that meese?) and logging trucks, the Northlander was always operated motor unit forward, except for short segments used to reverse the train direction at Toronto, Moosonee and Cochrane as necessary.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Vardex  
#15 Posted : 18 March 2008 20:24:40(UTC)
Vardex

Netherlands   
Quote:
<br />
...If the gears are red they are the slower ones. If they are yellow they are the faster ones. Mine are red - so I wasn't crazy after all. Once again, belonging to the forum pays off.
Thanks,
Eric

Amazing, since mine already has the fast transmission. It was one of the first northlanders being sold in holland.

Little disturbing is the wrong paintjob on the last car though. The ending of the lightblue has another angle and radius that the motorcar.

Bart
Offline sudibarba  
#16 Posted : 19 March 2008 04:03:38(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Well, I was a little surprised not to hear from my dealer today. But, in all fairness, he could be out or only trying to figure what to do next. It is hard to believe ROCO quality control could let this happen. Honest mistake, or maybe testing the waters to see who cares? Either way , this is a serious production control issue. They know there was a problem as according to Mike there is a part number for the gear fix. Human error or a serious management ethics issue? I don't know.If they knew there was an issue with the earlier TEE issue how could this happen? Well, I will be a big pain if they do not correct.
Eric

Offline Vardex  
#17 Posted : 19 March 2008 21:33:25(UTC)
Vardex

Netherlands   
Hello

Correction of the problem isn't an issue.
I got some spare gears with mine; just in case.

I also have the TEE set that does have the slow gearing. Here I also got a new set of gears instantly. I didn't put them in though since I think speed is ok.(scale speed of 120 instead of the originals 140) The problem only really appears if you don't drive digital. Then it only reaches about 80 km/h.

Bart
Offline tekin65  
#18 Posted : 20 March 2008 09:16:20(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Hi there,

Roco is well known with their shabby boxes. On many cases, you cannot even put the loko back in the box after applying the detail parts.

Could you possibly send a photo of the box - really curious!

Regards,

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline sudibarba  
#19 Posted : 21 March 2008 02:43:07(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I am going out of town for 5 days tomorrow and don't have time to learn to do a photo and post it. See Mike's picture above. The master box is in the back ground. I will say that it is one of the best boxes I have every gotten. It even has a slip cover on it. The foam padding inside is excellent. Very expensive packaging.
My only problem is the speed issue and I'm going to get to the bottom of it no matter how long it takes. I may be wrong but I am going to get an "official answer" to the issue. From what I can tell so far, my train came with the red gears (slower) and should have had yellow gears ( faster). This is a wonderful train other than my issue.
Eric

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tekin65
<br />Hi there,

Roco is well known with their shabby boxes. On many cases, you cannot even put the loko back in the box after applying the detail parts.

Could you possibly send a photo of the box - really curious!

Regards,

Cem.
Offline sudibarba  
#20 Posted : 06 May 2008 06:06:02(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I got my Northlander back from the distributer today with the proper gears installed. The turn around time was fine - it just took me a little time to decide to send it back. It now runs very well. I can run proto type speeds below the max setting on the 6021. In other words, I am not over loading the engine to run reasonable speeds (below the proto type max). I am now very happy with this Lok. As I said before, I am new to ROCO and was a little surprised at the number of user installed small plastic parts (horns, bells, steps etc.). I will surely order the two replacement kits with these parts in them. I can see them going missing easily. Also, removing the plastic bodies is a challenge.
Overall, this is a beautifull train that I am glad to own.
Eric
Offline spitzenklasse  
#21 Posted : 06 May 2008 18:26:12(UTC)
spitzenklasse

Yes Eric, HO trains seem to have that dilema. I found my OBB Taurus missing a buffer, and backing assy. It must have fallen off on the layout. Maybe snagged a shrub. I can't locate it yet. It costs about $4.00 from Marklin.
Offline mike c  
#22 Posted : 08 May 2008 01:46:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Vardex
Little disturbing is the wrong paintjob on the last car though. The ending of the lightblue has another angle and radius that the motorcar.

Bart

I too, noticed that the angle of the paint scheme seemed to be wrong on the Roco model.
I compared it to the märklin model (photos) and to the various photos that I have of the real train.
I cannot state that all four trainsets were identically painted. I do know that at least one of them had silver doors and at least one had doors painted blue and yellow. This difference was represented in the märklin 3150 and 37500 models.

I could not find any photos confirming any variations in the paint scheme on the roof of the power unit or pilot coach.

Regards

Mike C
Offline sudibarba  
#23 Posted : 09 May 2008 06:12:46(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Vardex
<br />Hello

Correction of the problem isn't an issue.
I got some spare gears with mine; just in case.

I also have the TEE set that does have the slow gearing. Here I also got a new set of gears instantly. I didn't put them in though since I think speed is ok.(scale speed of 120 instead of the originals 140) The problem only really appears if you don't drive digital. Then it only reaches about 80 km/h.

I also had the replacement gears. But when I looked at what was involved in changing them out there were various complicating issues such as wiring in the way ( If I remember correctly) and it looked like a very difficult task in general. As I did not want to void the warranty,I felt it was much better to send it back and let them correct the issue. They did that and I am happy. I'm going to dig out some photos of the Northlander and see if I can understand the paint issue. I, would never have known there was an issue ( or probably cared) but it is interesting so I will see what I can find.
Thanks,
Eric

Bart
Offline Unholz  
#24 Posted : 09 December 2008 12:10:34(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
UserPostedImage

I'll put this link here instead of starting a new thread. This great-looking HAG fantasy Northlander loco can now be ordered. Delivery is planned for spring 2009:

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/unholz/info.html

The model is available in two slightly different paint schemes, symmetrical as shown in the picture above (both ends identical) and asymmetrical (with the upper blue part running around the cab).
Offline sudibarba  
#25 Posted : 10 December 2008 06:24:34(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Unholz
<br />UserPostedImage

I'll put this link here instead of starting a new thread. This great-looking HAG fantasy Northlander loco can now be ordered. Delivery is planned for spring 2009:

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/unholz/info.html

The model is available in two slightly different paint schemes, symmetrical as shown in the picture above (both ends identical) and asymmetrical (with the upper blue part running around the cab).

That is very nice looking. I assume this is real and I am not just guiliable. I don't know why one would do this, but why not do it to a diesel lok just to be a bit more plausible. I didn't think they had electric lines to Northland, Ontario.
Eric
Offline mike c  
#26 Posted : 10 December 2008 07:01:12(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
There are NO catenary equipped lines in Toronto/Ontario other than the Swiss designed Streetcars that rumble along the streets.

This is purely a fantasy model.

If anybody is looking for some interesting real Canadian trains, check out the new models of the CN/VIA Turbo Train and the Bombardier LRC, one of the company's first ventures into trains.

http://www.rapidotrains.com/index2.html

I remember having my Dad drive me to Dorval station to see the Turbo go by. I also remember being impressed by the LRC when it was first introduced. Like the Northlander, today, only the coaches remain.

Seems like the Canadian models of the Turbo are now Sold Out. Hopefully they will make a second batch. I wanted to find out if it could be converted to 3 rail AC.

Regards

Mike C
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#27 Posted : 10 December 2008 08:29:34(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Stefan,
I just noticed the camoflauge army set on your site. Do you know where I can get one?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Unholz  
#28 Posted : 10 December 2008 10:36:36(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by 5HorizonsRR
<br />Stefan,
I just noticed the camoflauge army set on your site. Do you know where I can get one?

The camouflage army set was first available on HAG's "factory sale days" last week. However, the sets that were not immediately sold then should now be distributed to HAG dealers worldwide. Order number is 25 010-31 for the AC digital version.