Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline charles Sharpe  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2008 20:27:18(UTC)
charles Sharpe

I have just bought the 39562 Krokodil can someone explain the red/ white on the rear of the loco and also can someone explain the low speed switching range [ABV]on button f4Smile
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Schienenbus  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2008 23:23:05(UTC)
Schienenbus

Please somebody correct me if I am wrong, I think in Switzerland the locos run with a white taillight, but in case they get out of the country they can switch to the "European" red taillight...

And the ABV button simply disables the delayed acceleration and braking, making it easier to control the loco while in shunting operations (since it runs at the speed set with the dial, instead of still accelerating while you already turned the knob back down...

Regards,
Arthur
Offline laalves  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2008 00:08:23(UTC)
laalves

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Schienenbus
<br />Please somebody correct me if I am wrong, I think in Switzerland the locos run with a white taillight, but in case they get out of the country they can switch to the "European" red taillight...

Not exactly. A loco travelling alone in Switzerland, "trainless", will turn a single red tail light on. A loco with a train behind it will turn a single white tail light on.

When any loco travels outside their home country, it will comply with that country'e codes. That's why it costs a bit of money to have multi-system locos: multiple AC frequencies, multiple pantos, multiple safety systems, multiple lighting systems....
Offline Hemmerich  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2008 00:42:32(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by laalves
Not exactly. A loco travelling alone in Switzerland, "trainless", will turn a single red tail light on.

Not exactly. In the past, SBB locos/used to have one single red rear light whereas new BLS locos, like the Re465/Re485, etc. show two. In the meantime, the SSB have as well "aligned" their specification and turn both red rear lights on; this applies in particular to push-pull trains and there to both, locos as well as steering cars.

A good overview on Swiss train signalisation can be found on Bruno Lämmli's webpage (http://www.lokifahrer.ch/Signale/Zugsignale.htm).

The usefulness of two red rear lights can for example be seen here: one of the two red rear lights of this ICE3 was defective; but the train was still allowed to continue traveling with only one light on (exception case).

UserPostedImage

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:When any loco travels outside their home country, it will comply with that country'e codes. That's why it costs a bit of money to have multi-system locos: multiple AC frequencies, multiple pantos, multiple safety systems, multiple lighting systems....

That's for example the reason why the "Eurolok" BR189 (see Märklin #3989x) can show up to 14(!) different front/rear signals. In order to make it easier for the loco driver, the corresponding light configuration will be selected by the so called "country button".
Offline laalves  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2008 01:37:34(UTC)
laalves

Not exactly. 36562 is a Era II/III loco, if I recollect, which means my comments were temporally accurate.
Offline charles Sharpe  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2008 10:03:52(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello All. Many thanks for the replies about the lights it all makes sense know and is very interesting.

Charles.SmileSmileSmile
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 14 February 2008 19:16:26(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Well done on buying the model, Charles.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline laalves  
#8 Posted : 14 February 2008 20:19:59(UTC)
laalves

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steventrain
<br />Well done on buying the model, Charles.

Yes, indeed one of Märklin's best!